Pressure on mutual funds

19,320 Views | 211 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by HoustonAggie37713
HoustonAggie37713
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I work for a hedge fund and client face several fund managers who represent everyone from Unions to University endowments to wealthy individuals.

I have been asked by 3 different entities if our actively managed fund will be selling Twitter, Amazon, Facebook, Google, etc if they fall (and some already have) in markets this week.

If we sell, I've been told that membership in some of these groups will have to move money out of our fund.

So if you think this isn't effecting you, think again. This is potentially trillions of dollars of holdings that cannot be sold no matter what happens because liberals will take their money elsewhere. This follows similar tactics to not own weapons stocks, energy stocks, etc. The free market is not free any longer. Funds will have to hold 100% liberal backed stocks or lose their capital.
samurai_science
The enemy is real
Ag$08
I think you guys are overestimating the number of people that care about politics over returns.
dreyOO
HoustonAggie37713 said:

If we sell, I've been told that membership in some of these groups will have to move money out of our fund.
Not sure I follow. They would do this even if those stocks tumbled? Do they not have fiduciary responsibilities?
Cheetah01
AG
dreyOO said:

HoustonAggie37713 said:

Not sure I follow. They would do this even if those stocks tumbled? Do they not have fiduciary responsibilities?

Agreed. They should be sued by their union members.
HoustonAggie37713
Ag$08 said:

I think you guys are overestimating the number of people that care about politics over returns.

No I'm not. I'm having conversations with giant shareholders. This is real.
HoustonAggie37713
dreyOO said:

HoustonAggie37713 said:

I think we will do our best to find common ground. That decision is over my head. However I can tell you that we did not buy stocks in the energy sector that we liked due to liberal pressure. They are demanding this of us, we aren't advising them on these issues
MaroonDynasty
Mutual funds about to get a ton of calls asking if Twitter is part of their portfolio too.

The battle here will be interesting.

HoustonAggie37713
MaroonDynasty said:

Mutual funds about to get a ton of calls asking if Twitter is part of their portfolio too.

The battle here will be interesting.

I'm already on these emails. We are talking about trillions of dollars that will be manipulated.
Monywolf
Just like with Covid, we will be ok.
MemphisAg1
AG
This is one reason, among others, I've shifted from mutual fund investing to picking my own stocks.
HoustonAggie37713
Monywolf said:

Just like with Covid, we will be ok.

Tell that to Remington.
Hubert J. Farnsworth
Ag$08 said:

This election proved that people will vote against their wallets.
Monywolf
If you are worried about Remington, your allocation may be too high.
HoustonAggie37713
Monywolf said:

You missed my point. We don't own any Remington. Gun and ammo sales at an all-time high and Remington bankrupt. You think that was free market factors?
jh0400
AG
Is it politics or the fact that you'd be almost guaranteed to underperform the S&P 500 if you didn't hold AMZN, AAPL, etc?
Monywolf
HoustonAggie37713 said:

Monywolf said:

You missed my point. We don't own any Remington. Gun and ammo sales at an all-time high and Remington bankrupt. You think that was free market factors?
I think it's stock specific. Smith & Wesson is doing fine.
HoustonAggie37713
jh0400 said:

Is it politics or the fact that you'd be almost guaranteed to underperform the S&P 500 if you didn't hold AMZN, AAPL, etc?

Again, this has nothing to do with performance. People we represent are telling us that if we sell these companies for any reason they are moving their money.
HoustonAggie37713
Monywolf said:

HoustonAggie37713 said:

Monywolf said:

Doing fine during a time when they should be making all time high profits, and everyone should be buying the stock. Again, you're making my point.
Philip J Fry
AG
Not going to lie. I cashed out of the market January 6th. Between the civil unrest that's unfolding and the potential Biden lockdown, I think my money is better served in Gold or Bitcoin for a while.

The added bonus is that my money is not tied to Twitter, Facebook or any other tech company in my portfolio.
HoustonAggie37713
Philip J Fry said:

Not going to lie. I cashed out of the market January 6th. Between the civil unrest that's unfolding and the potential Biden lockdown, I think my money is better served in Gold or Bitcoin for a while.

The added bonus is that my money is not tied to Twitter, Facebook or any other tech company in my portfolio.

Until the host finds out that you're conservative and your wallet is hacked. Already happening.
Monywolf
HoustonAggie37713 said:

Monywolf said:

HoustonAggie37713 said:

Monywolf said:

Doing fine during a time when they should be making all time high profits, and everyone should be buying the stock. Again, you're making my point.
Lol. It happened with big tobacco. It will happen to other industries too. I'm not going to let it affect my investment strategy. The market doesn't care what you or I think anyway.

HoustonAggie37713
Monywolf said:

HoustonAggie37713 said:

Monywolf said:

HoustonAggie37713 said:

Monywolf said:

Lol. It happened with big tobacco. It will happen to other industries too. I'm not going to let it affect my investment strategy. The market doesn't care what you or I think anyway.

This isn't about what you or I think. Trillions of dollars in the free market is being directed to liberal leaning companies and away from conservative ones no matter what. The fact that you don't think it's a big deal is hilarious.
Monywolf
I'm not going to overreact to what's happening today. Good luck to you.
HoustonAggie37713
Monywolf said:

I'm not doing anything to my personal portfolio or overreacting at all. Just reporting what is going on at funds this week. You won't be seeing this on CNN or Fox.
Cheetah01
AG
HoustonAggie37713 said:

Monywolf said:

I'm not doing anything to my personal portfolio or overreacting at all. Just reporting what is going on at funds this week. You won't be seeing this on CNN or Fox.
. So what can be done? Nothing? Is this all problem and no solution?
HoustonAggie37713
Cheetah01 said:

HoustonAggie37713 said:

Monywolf said:

I think one thing that can be done is to mange your Risk in those stocks. FAANG is owned by almost everyone who invests. They are some of the most popular stocks. Normally, due diligence would suggest they will fall as users leave in droves and ad revenue falls. May not be the case.
Monywolf
HoustonAggie37713 said:

Monywolf said:

I appreciate your bringing it up.
Monywolf
HoustonAggie37713 said:

Cheetah01 said:

HoustonAggie37713 said:

Monywolf said:

I think one thing that can be done is to mange your Risk in those stocks. FAANG is owned by almost everyone who invests. They are some of the most popular stocks. Normally, due diligence would suggest they will fall as users leave in droves and as revenue falls. May not be the case.
I will say, most people own these stocks through index funds and index etfs. This aren't going anywhere unless their market caps decline.
texagbeliever
Twitter is the only one on that list that is a red flag. Twitter is reliant on people interacting. Interaction is primarily driven by disagreement. Twitter just took away many voices on one side and has created an environment hostile to the remaining voices. People will get bored seeing only content they agree with and people will just stop participating.

Facebook, while it has an interaction aspect like twitter, is much more diversified with information as well. Many groups and businesses use it as a way of informing others about changes or responding to issues. People go to Facebook to be informed (how family/friends are doing or look up a business) not just to interact.

Microsoft, Google, Amazon & Apple all have hardware and completely different business models that make them more resilient. Only government would likely be able to dent those giants.

I wonder how similar this could be with credit default swaps. Big money / intuitions kept buying them though logic would say they were a bad bet. Only reason why it wouldn't be so bad was if they knew bailouts would follow.
Cassius
Hubert J. Farnsworth said:

Ag$08 said:

This election proved that people will vote against their wallets.
HoustonAggie37713
texagbeliever said:

Twitter is the only one on that list that is a red flag. Twitter is reliant on people interacting. Interaction is primarily driven by disagreement. Twitter just took away many voices on one side and has created an environment hostile to the remaining voices. People will get bored seeing only content they agree with and people will just stop participating.

Facebook, while it has an interaction aspect like twitter, is much more diversified with information as well. Many groups and businesses use it as a way of informing others about changes or responding to issues. People go to Facebook to be informed (how family/friends are doing or look up a business) not just to interact.

Microsoft, Google, Amazon & Apple all have hardware and completely different business models that make them more resilient. Only government would likely be able to dent those giants.

I wonder how similar this could be with credit default swaps. Big money / intuitions kept buying them though logic would say they were a bad bet. Only reason why it wouldn't be so bad was if they knew bailouts would follow.

I would add Facebook to Twitter in that regard. But you make some good points.
texagbeliever
I think Facebook could drop in value (and be floated by institutions long enough to survive). I think Twitter is at risk of destroying its business and putting pressure on mutual funds to not be the one holding the bag.
Fins Up!
AG
I would think that the Biden Admin would be bullish big tech.
BluHorseShu
AG
HoustonAggie37713 said:

I work for a hedge fund and client face several fund managers who represent everyone from Unions to University endowments to wealthy individuals.

I have been asked by 3 different entities if our actively managed fund will be selling Twitter, Amazon, Facebook, Google, etc if they fall (and some already have) in markets this week.

So if you think this isn't effecting you, think again. This is potentially trillions of dollars of holdings that cannot be sold no matter what happens because liberals will take their money elsewhere. This follows similar tactics to not own weapons stocks, energy stocks, etc. The free market is not free any longer. Funds will have to hold 100% liberal backed stocks or lose their capital.

So are you saying clients are willing to move their money if liberal owned tech stocks are taken out of the funds? But if there's a dip in their stock, why would they be moved out of the funds (unless they were tanking)? If a fund is doing well (averages) then why would I move to another fund? And is this similar as boycotting a company bc of their politics and driving down their stock?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.