Could mask mandates actually be making things worse?

3,601 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Cassius
AggieSarah01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The data seems to point that way:

https://www.theblaze.com/op-ed/horowitz-comprehensive-analysis-of-50-states-shows-greater-spread-with-mask-mandates
Secolobo
AG
That's the idea!!!
Can I go to sleep Looch?
score4OU
Yes.
Having 326.7 million people wear masks made out of old sweaters and granny panties, while 326 million of these people have no PPE training other than "masks work for other peoples protection", what could go wrong?
Rocky Rider
AG
I'm all in on gaining herd immunity. Masks for everyone
...the Big 12 is now viewed as the fifth of the big BCS leagues by many recruits. (Rivals.com national recruiting analyst Mike Farrell; August 2013)

Already the weakest of the “Power Five” conferences, the league (Big 12) is hemorrhaging fans, wins, TV ratings and respect. (SA Express R. Bragg; Oct 12, 2016)
coolerguy12
AG
Concerned moderates should read the entire article before chiming in. It takes into account population density, 14 day lag, and all the other factors you will try to use to discredit it. It didn't mention anything about peeing on your friend naked so feel free to continue using that argument to try to convince us masks work.
nortex97
AG
The mask mandates have nothing to do with public health and everything to do with fealty/control. People like Fauci/Biden/Newsom etc. couldn't give two craps about public health.
Helicopter Ben
I've been saying this since these mandates started. Judging by how I see people using these things, it's impossible for this to be better. Let's follow the steps shall we:

1. People breathing warm moist air from their nose and mouth directly into an absorbent cloth.
2. Pull down or adjust mask for whatever reason. (I see almost everyone doing this extremely frequently) To reset above nose or to eat, talk on the phone, etc.
3. Unless they are immediately washing their hands after EVERY single time they touch anywhere near their masks, they have effectively increased the amount of germs/contagions that they have on their hands by a massive margin.
4. Now anything they touch afterwards has a much higher concentration than just living life normally.
5. And last, how many people are washing/sanitizing their masks after every use or even daily?

I'm so tired of people saying it's no big deal, masks are easy. In my opinion it's not easy and I find it extremely uncomfortable. And on top of that, I'm quite sure they are doing much more harm than good. Both in terms of spreading the virus and forcing healthy people to do the unhealthy act of breathing into a cloth for extended periods.
The Collective
AG
Well, since Trump is about to be out of office... does this mean we can start fairly evaluating things again?
MouthBQ98
AG
I Have Spoken said:

Well, since Trump is about to be out of office... does this mean we can start fairly evaluating things again?

Nope. EVERYTHING is political to the progressive left. It simply means they move into the next target.
jt2hunt
AG
Yes
Unless you are a dumbass
End Of Message
AG
Masks are a political tool to control the general population.

Vaccine is next.
Resistance to tyranny is obedience to God.
Owlagdad
By the end of the week after wearing mask, I have drainage and a little sore throat. By Saturday night when I don't wear a mask, I am almost clear. Monday feel real clear, and by Friday , am clogged again.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
score4OU said:

Yes.
Having 326.7 million people wear masks made out of old sweaters and granny panties, while 326 million of these people have no PPE training other than "masks work for other peoples protection", what could go wrong?
Great point. I've worked in the environmental field for over 30 years and PPE is very selective to the contaminant that you are exposed to. Wearing, handling, storing all these face diapers with no thought of real training might as well be strolling around without it.

So someone washes their hands for 15 seconds or grabs that sanitizer bottle that has been rolling around in their car or purse. Right after that, they touch 10 surfaces that could have any number of contact points and go right back to grabbing at their cloth or 99 cent mask..

Go to the grocery store and watch people paw at their masks and then touch everything around them. But it is going to save society to shut down restaurant capacity or limit outside gatherings for tiny virus particles.
MaroonStain
AG
INB4 - "Do you wear pants in public?" argument
"Thanks and Gig'em"
Get Off My Lawn
I'm certain that masks grant many people an increased sense of security which then results in riskier behavior. I wouldn't at all be surprised if this more than offsets any good that the masks MAY provide by reducing the distance traveled by coughed/sneezed particles when properly worn by a symptomatic contagious person who goes out in public...
texagbeliever
Get Off My Lawn said:

I'm certain that masks grant many people an increased sense of security which then results in riskier behavior. I wouldn't at all be surprised if this more than offsets any good that the masks MAY provide by reducing the distance traveled by coughed/sneezed particles when properly worn by a symptomatic contagious person who goes out in public...
This is clearly observable. Go to any large park. All the people wearing a mask think that the mask makes their activity safe. Never mind the fact that walking the loop at memorial park will have you passing 100s of people.

I heard one guy running with a mask yell out "Because i don't want to catch covid". I can only assume that the 2 men who ran past him asked why he was wearing a mask. The odd thing being, the individual could have chosen to run in any number of neighborhoods and gone from running by 100s of people to running by less than 5. Instantly reducing his chance of catching covid by a factor of a 100 or so. The "mask" he was wearing only reduced his chance by 50% or 1/2. People are quite poor mathematically.
Helicopter Ben
I'm experiencing the same thing. My wife and I decided to move out to a small town in Utah for the ski season. We figured that would be the least likely place to be affected by this nonsense. Of course right on cue before the resorts opened, we move to a state of emergency. At least Utah's governor didn't shut down bars and restaurants though.

Anyhow, they're super strict about masks in the lift lines. Most are friendly about it and say it's in hopes of not getting shut down. I pull my worthless face diaper up just for this part and almost immediately my nose starts to run a little and minor sniffles from breathing so much warm moisture right back into my face. As soon as I'm on the lift I pull it off and everything starts to dry up.

I despise this **** and legitimately worry the mask is far more likely to make me sick...and I've been conscious of how disgusting people are since high school. Washing my hands and avoiding touching things other people touch that aren't necessary.
Get Off My Lawn
Anyone who has had CS gas exposure implicitly understands that a cloud of viruses infected droplets aren't stopped by a cloth mask. They're going around (or through) the mask as you breathe in and they're going in through the eyes.

I don't believe for a second that the wearer is decreasing their chances by even 50%. Decrease the dose? Sure. But prevent exposure where you otherwise would have contracted it? No way.
Rapier108
Security theater, nothing more, just like the TSA.

Actually, masks are more worthless than the TSA.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Get Off My Lawn said:

Anyone who has had CS gas exposure implicitly understands that a cloud of viruses infected droplets aren't stopped by a cloth mask. They're going around (or through) the mask as you breathe in and they're going in through the eyes.

I don't believe for a second that the wearer is decreasing their chances by even 50%. Decrease the dose? Sure. But prevent exposure where you otherwise would have contracted it? No way.
I think going through the gas chamber should be a mandatory requirement for HS Graduation.

That would make sure all the kids who skipped science class had at least one good lab day.
IronAg45
AG
Awesome! Run and flap your arms!

ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Tony Franklins Other Shoe said:

score4OU said:

Yes.
Great point. I've worked in the environmental field for over 30 years and PPE is very selective to the contaminant that you are exposed to. Wearing, handling, storing all these face diapers with no thought of real training might as well be strolling around without it.

So someone washes their hands for 15 seconds or grabs that sanitizer bottle that has been rolling around in their car or purse. Right after that, they touch 10 surfaces that could have any number of contact points and go right back to grabbing at their cloth or 99 cent mask..

Go to the grocery store and watch people paw at their masks and then touch everything around them. But it is going to save society to shut down restaurant capacity or limit outside gatherings for tiny virus particles.
You've tangentially touched on the finer point I've been raising since the CoronaKarens started going ape **** about masks: that little doodad you carry in your pocket and touch literally all the time is filthy. I've never seen a single official or busybody recommend that you clean it with any frequency. Just hit the 'ol handi-crapper, pull down the mask, do your business, send a few texts, put it back in your pocket, pretend the mask protected you.
Cassius
Dare you to post it on the doomer board!
The Fife
I absolutely agree if only because it ends up making me touch my face all the time to adjust / remove / put on / do whatever with the dumb thing.
Cassius
Rapier108 said:

Security theater, nothing more, just like the TSA.

Actually, masks are more worthless than the TSA.

That's actually a very good analogy.

I remember a security analyst making a point about disposing of potentially dangerous explosive material in a bin just a few feet away from the security line.
Cassius
The Fife said:

I absolutely agree if only because it ends up making me touch my face all the time to adjust / remove / put on / do whatever with the dumb thing.

The average person touches their face 100 times per day without a mask. Its like breathing; we do it without thinking about it. That's what spreads this thing: touch. We touch all kinds of things in the store, many of which have been touched by others, then touch the mask. The mask ends up with covid all over it and we re-wear it, touching it and spreading the covid again and again.
puryear94
AG
What about South Korea? Over 50 million people tightly packed together wearing masks with half the number of cases as San Antonio.

The major outbreaks they have had were in locations where masks were ignored.
Cassius
puryear94 said:

What about South Korea? Over 50 million people tightly packed together wearing masks with half the number of cases as San Antonio.

There is no evidence of the bolded.

As far as asian countries, there are other possibilities.

I could post about 1000 studies, one done recently with covid folks, that show no evidence of mask mitigation, but you won't believe it. So continue on in your bliss.
Stat Monitor Repairman

Maskbros in visual form.
rocky the dog
AG
Elections are when people find out what politicians stand for, and politicians find out what people will fall for.
Cassius
rocky the dog said:

Rapier108
Quote:

Could mask mandates actually be making things worse?
puryear94
AG
Cassius said:

puryear94 said:

There is no evidence of the bolded.

As far as asian countries, there are other possibilities.

I could post about 1000 studies, one done recently with covid folks, that show no evidence of mask mitigation, but you won't believe it. So continue on in your bliss.
Here are two instances, the first of which accounts for almost 10% of all Korean infections:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1103080/south-korea-covid-19-cases-related-to-shincheonji-church/

Also:
https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/10/20-2573_article#:~:text=At%20least%20246%20cases%20of,to%20limit%20COVID%2D19%20spread.

"other possibilities" such as... don't tell me resistance because of SARS, there were only around 200 cases. So what are these other possibilities?

I didn't attack anyone, just had a question, but wow, are people here ready to dogpile on others who don't share their opinions.
Fightin_Aggie
AG
MaroonStain said:

INB4 - "Do you wear pants in public?" argument

Not anymore
The world needs mean tweets

My Pronouns Ultra and MAGA

Trump 2024
Fightin_Aggie
AG
Helicopter Ben said:

I'm experiencing the same thing. My wife and I decided to move out to a small town in Utah for the ski season. We figured that would be the least likely place to be affected by this nonsense. Of course right on cue before the resorts opened, we move to a state of emergency. At least Utah's governor didn't shut down bars and restaurants though.

Anyhow, they're super strict about masks in the lift lines. Most are friendly about it and say it's in hopes of not getting shut down. I pull my worthless face diaper up just for this part and almost immediately my nose starts to run a little and minor sniffles from breathing so much warm moisture right back into my face. As soon as I'm on the lift I pull it off and everything starts to dry up.

I despise this **** and legitimately worry the mask is far more likely to make me sick...and I've been conscious of how disgusting people are since high school. Washing my hands and avoiding touching things other people touch that aren't necessary.

It also causes tooth decay so at least there's that
The world needs mean tweets

My Pronouns Ultra and MAGA

Trump 2024
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.