8x8 home for $130k in LA to house the homeless

4,764 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Hurricane Laura
MaroonDynasty
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-12-12/los-angeles-tiny-homes-homeless

LA Times said:

In other cities, 64-square-foot aluminum and composite sheds are being used as quick and inexpensive emergency shelter for homeless people.

Not in Los Angeles. Here, plans to employ the minimalist structures, known as "tiny homes," have blossomed into expensive development projects with access roads, underground utilities and concrete foundations and commensurate planning delays.

At the city's first tiny home village, scheduled to open in January, each of the 39 closet-sized homes is costing $130,000, about 10 times what some other cities are spending. Five more villages are planned to open later.

Mayor Eric Garcetti announced the program in March, signaling that the concept of sheltering people in tiny homes, long neglected in Los Angeles, had emerged as a leading strategy in the city's response to a federal lawsuit alleging it has done too little to get homeless people off the streets.

These are literally ****ing sheds though. Lol

Sad state of affars, southern california is dead. Those who can move, are.

P.H. Dexippus
AG
I am in the wrong business
Agvet12
AG
Home Depot / Lowe's is happily charging that mark up fee for the city of LA.

Also -no wonder LA (well all lib cities) officials are pissed they aren't getting bail our money lolol
Wyoming Aggie
AG
I could build an absolutely tricked out one of those things for $20k. $130k? The entire inside must be made of 14k Gold.
TyHolden
AG
i see a lot of small hollywood hookering houses...
Not a Bot
AG
How could those "houses" cost so much money?

Contractors and politicians are getting paid under the table. Probably a lot of people.
BlueMiles
AG
$5,070,000 for that. It seems like that money could be better spent on counseling or such.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
They should pick 39 people at random and give them $130k. Probably work out better
"Trust me, I'm a scientist"

"A liberal with a pen is a true weapon of mass destruction"
ttu_85
Cactus Jack said:

Contractors and politicians are getting paid under the table. Probably a lot of people.
Gotta be. You can build one of those for 12K with a slab.
MaroonDynasty
Video from where I first saw the article:

Skid row is most all of downtown LA now.
flakrat
eric76
AG
Last summer, I've was inside a tiny home that is not much larger than those. It was actually pretty nice inside, but definitely cramped.
MaroonDynasty
I know people who build tiny homes and container homes, what is going on in LA is definitely a laundering scheme. Politicians strike again.
policywonk98
AG
Some pretty awesome Tiny Homes are being built for 25k-35k.

Lots of people are completely fleecing LA taxpayers.

Day of reckoning will come when fewer and fewer taxpayers exist to fleece.

Ag87H2O
AG
This is your typical government project run by Democrats. Any prudent business person with a minimum of building experience could do that for 10-15% of the cost they are spending.

But I bet all the liberal bleeding hearts over there feel real good about it. They're getting the government they deserve.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Cactus Jack said:

The price is inclusive of all associated infrastructure as well. Water, sewer, electricity, probably a lot of site grading and site work, apparently some roads, etc. It's not just for the shed, but the shed and everything around and under it and the cost of engineering it all. California also costs a lot more to do anything because labor is expensive AF.

The thing is, the ultimate cost isn't that surprising when they're doing it this way. Think of a developer coming in and building a suburb. They do a lot more than simply put a house on a lot. They often regrade the land, build streets, add in storm sewer, add in sanitary sewer, water mains, electrical lines, gas lines, etc. You pay for all of that in the cost of the home even if you just buy the house as the lot.

ETA
For those who did not read OP's excerpt or anything else in the article...

Quote:

A breakdown provided by the Los Angeles Bureau of Engineering shows that the contract provides $1.5 million just to prepare the site.

It also includes $122,000 for underground utilities, $253,000 for concrete pads (one for each shelter), $312,000 for an administrative office and staff restroom, $1.1 million for mechanical, electrical and fire alarms and $280,000 for permits and fees.

Additionally, the city has budgeted $651,000 to connect to the street sewer line and $546,000 in design, project management and inspection costs.

All in all, the cost is completely reasonable for what they're doing. The problem is that what they doing is completely unreasonable.
EskimoJoe
DECENT! Bubbles would be proud.
91AggieLawyer
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

Cactus Jack said:

The price is inclusive of all associated infrastructure as well. Water, sewer, electricity, probably a lot of site grading and site work, apparently some roads, etc. It's not just for the shed, but the shed and everything around and under it and the cost of engineering it all. California also costs a lot more to do anything because labor is expensive AF.

The thing is, the ultimate cost isn't that surprising when they're doing it this way. Think of a developer coming in and building a suburb. They do a lot more than simply put a house on a lot. They often regrade the land, build streets, add in storm sewer, add in sanitary sewer, water mains, electrical lines, gas lines, etc. You pay for all of that in the cost of the home even if you just buy the house as the lot.
Yeah, but there are probably close to a thousand sheds on each acre -- or at least, something near that ratio. So all those costs you speak of may be real but are spread out among a LOT of these things. Even at 150 sheds per acre, that's almost 20 million dollars for all those sheds. You can't tell me that all the costs you're speaking of come anywhere close to that, especially since there is already water, sewage, electricity, etc. next door or down the street. They aren't putting these things in an unincorporated area without utilities, even if such a place existed in non-remote LA County.

I get what you mean, but 130 is still hundreds of times what they should cost, even in California.
jefe95
AG
Who built the cages, Joe?

We putting homeless in fancy cages now?

Cute.
Chamonix
I identify as homeless. Can I just have the money?
HollywoodBQ
AG
They literally should just have a giant parking lot where the homeless can live. Put an endless supply of drugs in the center. Buy some hazmat suits and bodybags.

The problem is that people still believe people are homeless because they just need a helping hand. They don't realise being homeless is a choice.
Waffledynamics
AG
Quote:

At the city's first tiny home village, scheduled to open in January, each of the 39 closet-sized homes is costing $130,000, about 10 times what some other cities are spending. Five more villages are planned to open later.
How do I know some people need fired/prosecuted?
ABATTBQ11
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

Cactus Jack said:

Yeah, but there are probably close to a thousand sheds on each acre -- or at least, something near that ratio. So all those costs you speak of may be real but are spread out among a LOT of these things. Even at 150 sheds per acre, that's almost 20 million dollars for all those sheds. You can't tell me that all the costs you're speaking of come anywhere close to that, especially since there is already water, sewage, electricity, etc. next door or down the street. They aren't putting these things in an unincorporated area without utilities, even if such a place existed in non-remote LA County.

I get what you mean, but 130 is still hundreds of times what they should cost, even in California.

An acre is 43,560 sf. 1000 8x8 units is 64k sf. You could pack these in wall to wall and still get nowhere near 1000 per acre. Beyond that, there are requirements on building spacing that mean you can't just pack them in. An 8x8 structure could easily have a 13x13 or more footprint when you include building offsets. Then there's necessary easements for utilities, walkways, parking, etc, so you might want to sharpen your pencil and rethink that, "there are probably close to a thousand sheds on each acre -- or at least, something near that ratio," thing because you're off by an order of magnitude.

But then again, it's only spelled out in the article that there are 50 units in this particular project. You don't even need to pull numbers out of your ***. The cost for the entire project is listed too ($5.2 million). It also lists the other things like bathrooms and showers, a staff administrative area, and an eating area that are lumped into the project cost and divided amongst the units top arrive at $130k per.

You obviously don't know what any of this entails. Just because city utilities are near doesn't mean that the site itself does not need to be prepped. Storm runoff has to be accounted for, which means they're likely grading the site. They'll probably have to put down base and compact it since they're putting concrete pads under each of these. Then there's the cost of the slabs. They have to run sanitary, water, and electricity to the aforementioned admin area, bathrooms, showers, and eating area. They're probably wiring each of these structures and running electricity across the entire site. I also wouldn't be shocked if they were putting in site lighting. Then you still have to connect to the utilities. If they're under the street and you have to connect to tap into them, it's not like running power from the pole on the corner or connecting your house to the water meter. Then there's the engineering fees. This isn't being done for free.

But hey, WTF do I know? It's not like they've have a breakdown or anything...

OH WAIT...

Quote:

A breakdown provided by the Los Angeles Bureau of Engineering shows that the contract provides $1.5 million just to prepare the site.

It also includes $122,000 for underground utilities, $253,000 for concrete pads (one for each shelter), $312,000 for an administrative office and staff restroom, $1.1 million for mechanical, electrical and fire alarms and $280,000 for permits and fees.

Additionally, the city has budgeted $651,000 to connect to the street sewer line and $546,000 in design, project management and inspection costs.

It's almost like that site work and utilities takes up the entire budget.
96AgGrad
AG
Leave it to Californians to perfect favela technology

fightingfarmer09

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hooverville
Yesterday
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

91AggieLawyer said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

Cactus Jack said:

An acre is 43,560 sf. 1000 8x8 units is 64k sf. You could pack these in wall to wall and still get nowhere near 1000 per acre. Beyond that, there are requirements on building spacing that mean you can't just pack them in. An 8x8 structure could easily have a 13x13 or more footprint when you include building offsets. Then there's necessary easements for utilities, walkways, parking, etc, so you might want to sharpen your pencil and rethink that, "there are probably close to a thousand sheds on each acre -- or at least, something near that ratio," thing because you're off by an order of magnitude.

But then again, it's only spelled out in the article that there are 50 units in this particular project. You don't even need to pull numbers out of your ***. The cost for the entire project is listed too ($5.2 million). It also lists the other things like bathrooms and showers, a staff administrative area, and an eating area that are lumped into the project cost and divided amongst the units top arrive at $130k per.

You obviously don't know what any of this entails. Just because city utilities are near doesn't mean that the site itself does not need to be prepped. Storm runoff has to be accounted for, which means they're likely grading the site. They'll probably have to put down base and compact it since they're putting concrete pads under each of these. Then there's the cost of the slabs. They have to run sanitary, water, and electricity to the aforementioned admin area, bathrooms, showers, and eating area. They're probably wiring each of these structures and running electricity across the entire site. I also wouldn't be shocked if they were putting in site lighting. Then you still have to connect to the utilities. If they're under the street and you have to connect to tap into them, it's not like running power from the pole on the corner or connecting your house to the water meter. Then there's the engineering fees. This isn't being done for free.

OH WAIT...

Quote:

And you think those numbers are ok? $2030/sq/ft?? Even with an admin building? My cousin just built an upscale condominium complex in San Diego for around $800 sq/ft. Someone is getting rich and it ain't the tax payers.
Cruiser87
AG
Well, one tax payer is getting rich.
itsyourboypookie
Some see a 2k shed.

Some see a 130k home.

I see a $20 blowjob
FCBlitz
ABATTBQ11 said:

91AggieLawyer said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

Cactus Jack said:

OH WAIT...

Quote:

Thanks for saving me some time working out the total cost buildout of a 130k unit. Government is supposed to be good stewards of the tax payer money.

All of those cost are real, accounted for and will be charged to the State of California. Reading through the noted cost the only take away is it a scheme to make money at the expense of the poor. Just like the Clinton's in Haiti.

Those are full blown cost that the local, county and state permitting could simply waive. The choice and location of land is suspect. No private business/government partnership to get bulk pricing. Home Depot or Lowe's still sells disconnects, wire, lighting and AC. It is unclear if these units have plumbing.

As for the utilities install thery are charging ful l pricing. Someone is cashing in. But hey it is the Democratic way.
The Fife
EskimoJoe said:

DECENT! Bubbles would be proud.

MouthBQ98
AG
Idiotic inefficient intuitional socialism exists as a parasite to much more efficient free market solutions. Even where social spending is arguably warranted, bureaucratic socialism is woefully inefficient compared to dynamic free market solutions.
ContinentalAg
$280k in permits and fees? Those aren't waived for a homeless village?
OldArmyBrent
AG
Would be easier and cheaper if they just plopped these in backyards of Hollywood libs. No utilities needed. Get em a solar panel and let them pinch loaves in the backyard. Easy.
The world needs another Pinochet.
milner79
policywonk98 said:

Some pretty awesome Tiny Homes are being built for 25k-35k.

Lots of people are completely fleecing LA taxpayers.

Day of reckoning will come when fewer and fewer taxpayers exist to fleece.

yeah, but those fewer and fewer are turning Arizona and Texas bluer and bluer ...
JamesPShelley
ABATTBQ11 said:

Cactus Jack said:

ETA
For those who did not read OP's excerpt or anything else in the article...

Quote:

All in all, the cost is completely reasonable for what they're doing. The problem is that what they doing is completely unreasonable.
Pfffffffffft. Sorry. Reasonable costs. lol.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.