TX HB196

13,929 Views | 82 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by thirdcoast
pacecar02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
chjoak said:

TX State Rep Terry Meza (D - Irving) introduced HB196 to repeal the castle doctrine. Her words on the subject...

Quote:

Thieves only carry weapons for self-protection and to provide the householder an incentive to cooperate.

WTF

Whos side is she on?

how bout nah
richardag
chjoak said:

TX State Rep Terry Meza (D - Irving) introduced HB196 to repeal the castle doctrine. Her words on the subject...

Quote:

"I'm not saying that stealing is okay," Meza explained. "All I'm saying is that it doesn't warrant a death penalty. Thieves only carry weapons for self-protection and to provide the householder an incentive to cooperate. ... (I eliminated the rest of this drivel....

Truman Capoti would like a word with this idiot, I am sure she could communicate with him during one of her seances, which I would suspect she believes are possible.
The budget should be balanced, the treasury should be refilled, npublic debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed, lest Rome become bankrupt.
People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.
-- Cicero, 55 B.C.
annie88
AG
They just want to get their loot and get away. When the resident tries to resist is when people get hurt. If only one side is armed fewer people will be killed."

****ing idiot.
Currently a happy listless vessel and deplorable. #FJB TRUMP 2024.
HumpitPuryear
AG
Stinky T said:

Knock! Knock! Knock!

"Excuse me good sir, I am here to rob your home. Please step aside so I may proceed. This gun I am carrying is just here to make sure you don't try anything shady while I relieve you of your property. Thank you for your cooperation!"

Yeah pretty much until the perp decides midway through the robbery, err umm "transfer of property", that he would like to rape you or beat you to death just for the heck of it or kidnap you for ransom.
jt2hunt
AG
Thieves only carry weapons for self-protection and to provide the householder an incentive to cooperate.

WTF

How about the homeowner providing and incentive for the thieves to stay alive by staying the **** out of the homeowner's property!

What a dumbass.
Tanya 93
titan said:

More important than the quote is whether the law is real. It could be couched in the most Lincolnian prose and still be anathema.
Actually, the quote is important. Reporting that she said the thieves need money more than the owner needs their property is quite a damning statement to say she made. That is why I asked for a link from somewhere other than gun rights/outdoors forums. Be against itfor what the bill actually says, not a statement that may or not be true. It could be the same as the Kamala quote that keeps popping up on here regularly.
NE PA Ag
Yes, OP, please provide a linked source for this quote. Even if it seems ludicrous and highly likely not to make it to the floor for a vote, legitimate quotes like this from elected politicians need to be distributed to as many as possible.
JonSnow
That seems too stupid to possibly be real.
The TC Jester
I googled hoping that she was at least a hot latina...

aggiejayrod
AG
titan said:

How about a system where all the burden is on the violent criminal. The only way to escape bad consequences is not to commit a violent crime.
That's racist! They're forced to rob you at gunpoint due to systemic racism. Arguing that you should be able to defend yourself by murdering an innocent starving father or mother is further proof that you need to be taken to a wrongthink camp for reeducation
Post removed:
by user
agsalaska
AG
I found the bill, but does anyone have a link to her exact quote?
UrbanDecay
AG
cisgenderedAggie
On a side note, does castle doctrine in Texas protect deadly force in defense of property? I'm pretty sure that, in my state, it does not. Nuance, but not an insignificant one. I understand it to mean you have to be fearful of loss of life, which would seem to invalidate the entire justification of this argument. Castle Doctrine can't be about equity or wealth distribution of it has nothing to do with property.
goose91
AG
Pre-filed 2021 Session Bills - both PRO and ANTI Second Amendment

Quote:

The bills listed below have been pre-filed in anticipation of the 87th Texas Legislative session. The TSRA Legislative team is engaged in review of each bill and formulating a response to each one.

PRO-SECOND AMENDMENT BILLS PRE-FILED (as of 11/23/2020)
House Bill 26 & House Bill 340 PROTECTING the right to sell and purchase firearms during a state of emergency.
House Bill 112 PROHIBITING state and local enforcement of certain restrictive federal firearms, ammunition and accessory laws enacted after January 2021.
House Bill 299 PERMITLESS CARRY legislation.
House Bill 304 REPEALING certain gun-free zones for License To Carry holders.
House Bill 336 PROHIBITING the recognition and enforcement of red flag gun confiscation orders

ANTI-GUN MEASURES PRE-FILED (as of 11/23/2020)
House Bill 52 & House Bill 245 BANNING private firearms sales at gun shows.
House Bill 118, House Bill 606 & Senate Bill 163 BANNING private firearms transfers between certain family members and friends, requiring FFLs to process these transactions that would include federal paperwork for government approval at an undetermined fee.
House Bill 127 & House Bill 213 BANNING long gun open carry with limited exceptions.
House Bill 164, House Bill 395, Senate Bill 84 & Senate Bill 110 red flag GUN CONFISCATION legislation requiring firearms surrender without due process.
House Bill 172 & House Bill 241 BANNING the sale or transfer and possession of commonly-owned semi-automatic firearms.
House Bill 178 & House Bill 234 BANNING the sale or transfer and possession of standard capacity magazines that hold more than 10 rounds.
House Bill 185 MANDATING firearms to be stored in locked gun cases, safes or cabinets.

TSRA PAC Link
chjoak
AG
Her Tweet (3 part thread) RE HB196

Actual Bill
https://capitol.texas.gov/tlodocs/87R/billtext/html/HB00196I.htm

I've not personally seen the source for the above quotes but have seen several gun advocate web pages with similar quotes.

Ag with kids
AG
bangobango said:

chjoak said:

Quote:

"I'm not saying that stealing is okay," Meza explained. "All I'm saying is that it doesn't warrant a death penalty. Thieves only carry weapons for self-protection and to provide the householder an incentive to cooperate. They just want to get their loot and get away. When the resident tries to resist is when people get hurt. If only one side is armed fewer people will be killed."
Meza was quick to reassure that her bill "would not totally prevent homeowners from defending themselves.
Under the new law the homeowner's obligation is to flee the home at the first sign of intrusion. If fleeing is not possible he must cooperate with the intruder. But if violence breaks out it is the homeowner's responsibility to make sure no one gets hurt. The best way to achieve this is to use the minimum non-lethal force possible because intruders will be able to sue for any injuries they receive at the hands of the homeowner."
"In most instances the thief needs the money more than the homeowner does," Meza reasoned. "The homeowner's insurance we reimburse his losses. On balance, the transfer of property is likely to lead to a more equitable distribution of wealth. If my bill can help make this transfer a peaceful one so much the better."

Link? Have you verified that is a true quote?
She DID say the bolded part. Can't find anywhere where she said the rest.
BadMoonRisin
AG
"Corporate Reparations"...coming to your neighborhood.

Do they not know that most peoples home owners insurance deductible is several thousand dollars?

Who am I kidding, this person is basically ******ed, of course they dont.
I know I ain't leavin' you like I know He ain't leavin' us
I know we believe in God and I know God believes in us
UTExan
Red Fishing Ag93 said:

In other words, I can grab my gun and rob her home.

And if you get the correct jurisdiction it would be plea bargained down to littering.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
30wedge
I suspect the next bill she introduces will prohibit locking your doors because that might impose an undue burden on the vermin who are there to help themselves to your possessions.
powerbelly
AG

Quote:

On balance, the transfer of property is likely to lead to a more equitable distribution of wealth. If my bill can help make this transfer a peaceful one so much the better
This is sickening.
fka ftc
We could have ten sworn affidavits saying she said the above and libs would defend her saying they could not find it independently on the Dallas Morning News website.
Canyon99
At the moment, Terry Meza assumes the title of dumbest SOB alive.
titan
S

Read the actual law provided by chjoak. Its barely a page, so those good at legalese should check it out. Its why put the emphasis on whether the law existed.

If anything, the law seems to more raise concern for the strong emphasis of "habitation on land" counting as the same as the owner. It almost sounds like giving the right of squatters to resist landlords by force. Others will need to judge that.

There is a provision in there saying you can use deadly force if you believe what is being taken is not "recoverable by other means" ----- can think of a few items like that.

See what you all think.
FrioAg 00:
Leftist Democrats "have completely overplayed the Racism accusation. Honestly my first reaction when I hear it today is to assume bad intentions by the accuser, not the accused."
chjoak
AG
titan said:

Read the actual law provided by chjoak. Its barely a page, so those good at legalese should check it out. Its why put the emphasis on whether the law existed.

If anything, the law seems to more raise concern for the strong emphasis of "habitation on land" counting as the same as the owner. It almost sounds like giving the right of squatters to resist landlords by force. Others will need to judge that.

There is a provision in there saying you can use deadly force if you believe what is being taken is not "recoverable by other means" ----- can think of a few items like that.

See what you all think.
The problem with any law with that type of wording is that it leaves far too much open to interpretation both by the govt and the individual being accused.
agsalaska
AG
powerbelly said:

Quote:

On balance, the transfer of property is likely to lead to a more equitable distribution of wealth. If my bill can help make this transfer a peaceful one so much the better
This is sickening.
Pretty sure its fake
AGHouston11
AG
Thieves only carry guns for their self protection and to get what they need and get out? WTF!!!!!!!!!

So does she want to approve of the armed rapist too?

These politicians and the people supporting them are not just holding a different philosophy or viewpoint they are a disease infecting and killing our nation!!!
Frag
AG
Sorry criminals, but my stuff is more important than your life.
Psycho Bunny
Terry Meze... is just another angry ***** hat wearing liberal, who wants to give criminals free hugs and tell tax payers to go shove up their ass. If you go read all the other "Bill's" she wants to introduce on the house floor, one might think she has loved ones, who are career criminals. Frankly if someone breaks into my house, I'm pumping their chest full of bullets. Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
MouthBQ98
AG
She doesn't seem particularly bright or well informed.
TxTarpon
Utah Pops had a post on this 12/3
Thanks for coming out.

Texas Bill Would Require Retreat Before Using Deadly Force In Self-Defense
----------------------------------
Texans make the best songwriters because they are the best liars.-Rodney Crowell

We will never give up our guns Steve, we don't care if there is a mass shooting every day of the week.
-BarronVonAwesome

A man with experience is not at the mercy of another man with an opinion.
CondensedFogAggie

This is the dumbest argument I've ever heard in my life. Screw that.

This wouldn't fly even in Portland or San Francisco, where they do have stand your ground or castle doctrines.

Come Out Roll
AG
Canyon99 said:

At the moment, Terry Meza assumes the title of dumbest SOB alive.

No, that dubious honor would go to all the knuckleheads that voted for that excrement-head......
BluHorseShu
AG
chjoak said:

Quote:

"I'm not saying that stealing is okay," Meza explained. "All I'm saying is that it doesn't warrant a death penalty. Thieves only carry weapons for self-protection and to provide the householder an incentive to cooperate. They just want to get their loot and get away. When the resident tries to resist is when people get hurt. If only one side is armed fewer people will be killed."
Meza was quick to reassure that her bill "would not totally prevent homeowners from defending themselves.
Under the new law the homeowner's obligation is to flee the home at the first sign of intrusion. If fleeing is not possible he must cooperate with the intruder. But if violence breaks out it is the homeowner's responsibility to make sure no one gets hurt. The best way to achieve this is to use the minimum non-lethal force possible because intruders will be able to sue for any injuries they receive at the hands of the homeowner."
"In most instances the thief needs the money more than the homeowner does," Meza reasoned. "The homeowner's insurance we reimburse his losses. On balance, the transfer of property is likely to lead to a more equitable distribution of wealth. If my bill can help make this transfer a peaceful one so much the better."

Completely asinine. I'm not waiting to find out an intruders intentions. Thief needs more money than the homeowner?!!? I think we have a Darwin award contender for 2020.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.