TX HB196

13,802 Views | 82 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by thirdcoast
Hendrix
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Frag said:

Sorry criminals, but my stuff is more important than your life.
Same. I don't care what laws are passed. I get violent in a hurry when my life or possessions are in danger, and that will never change.
Texarkanaag69
AG
You guys need to lighten up. You don't appreciate the extremely heavy burden it is to be both ugly and stupid.
Tanya 93
why isn't OANN and NewsMax reporting this with a link?
12thMan9
AG
ABATTBQ87 said:

fell out of the ugly tree:

And hit every branch on the way down.
Ronnie '88
OldArmyBrent
AG
Came here to make the same comment. Great minds.
The world needs another Pinochet.
BQZip01
AG
chjoak said:

TX State Rep Terry Meza (D - Irving) introduced HB196 to repeal the castle doctrine. Her words on the subject...

Quote:

"I'm not saying that stealing is okay," Meza explained. "All I'm saying is that it doesn't warrant a death penalty. Thieves only carry weapons for self-protection and to provide the householder an incentive to cooperate. They just want to get their loot and get away. When the resident tries to resist is when people get hurt. If only one side is armed fewer people will be killed."
Meza was quick to reassure that her bill "would not totally prevent homeowners from defending themselves.
Under the new law the homeowner's obligation is to flee the home at the first sign of intrusion. If fleeing is not possible he must cooperate with the intruder. But if violence breaks out it is the homeowner's responsibility to make sure no one gets hurt. The best way to achieve this is to use the minimum non-lethal force possible because intruders will be able to sue for any injuries they receive at the hands of the homeowner."
"In most instances the thief needs the money more than the homeowner does," Meza reasoned. "The homeowner's insurance we reimburse his losses. On balance, the transfer of property is likely to lead to a more equitable distribution of wealth. If my bill can help make this transfer a peaceful one so much the better."

What's the source for this quote? I'm not saying it's wrong or inaccurate, but I'd like something other than a FB post before I vilify someone
BQZip01
AG
I've seen the quote in about a dozen places, but no source.

If you look at the proposed changes, it looks like they are adding a duty to retreat, if possible, and removing robbery as a justification to use deadly force. It doesn't seem to match the narrative above. Given that there doesn't seem to be a press source for this, I'm leaning toward the idea that this is a false quote.

https://legiscan.com/TX/text/HB196/id/2214951
P.U.T.U
AG
You must try to retreat first...um if you are in my house there is no retreating. My house is my safe area and if you break in you will be met with whatever force necessary.

Must try to retreat first
BQZip01
AG
There are plenty of reasonable reasons to oppose this bill. There's no need to make up reasons...
bushytailed
AG
F this. As I female, I assume that if you're in my house without my consent then you're there for something worse than taking my tv. You're not getting a warning.
OldArmyBrent
AG
BQZip01 said:

chjoak said:

TX State Rep Terry Meza (D - Irving) introduced HB196 to repeal the castle doctrine. Her words on the subject...

Quote:

"I'm not saying that stealing is okay," Meza explained. "All I'm saying is that it doesn't warrant a death penalty. Thieves only carry weapons for self-protection and to provide the householder an incentive to cooperate. They just want to get their loot and get away. When the resident tries to resist is when people get hurt. If only one side is armed fewer people will be killed."
Meza was quick to reassure that her bill "would not totally prevent homeowners from defending themselves.
Under the new law the homeowner's obligation is to flee the home at the first sign of intrusion. If fleeing is not possible he must cooperate with the intruder. But if violence breaks out it is the homeowner's responsibility to make sure no one gets hurt. The best way to achieve this is to use the minimum non-lethal force possible because intruders will be able to sue for any injuries they receive at the hands of the homeowner."
"In most instances the thief needs the money more than the homeowner does," Meza reasoned. "The homeowner's insurance we reimburse his losses. On balance, the transfer of property is likely to lead to a more equitable distribution of wealth. If my bill can help make this transfer a peaceful one so much the better."

What's the source for this quote? I'm not saying it's wrong or inaccurate, but I'd like something other than a FB post before I vilify someone

I believe she said this in a series of tweets.
The world needs another Pinochet.
TRADUCTOR
Children and nonsense go hand in hand.
Elgee
I looked for the original source of these quotes, and the earliest instance of this text was on a freerepublic forum by John Semmons with the tags humor and satire. You can trace pretty much any quote back to the digital source using the google search filters for date range. This didn't originate on Twitter (not from her at least).
thirdcoast
AG
Our resident libs..

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.