VP of Diversity is gone

14,375 Views | 129 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by EclipseAg
BCSWguru
How long do you want to ignore this user?
the guilt approach. always effective.
Post removed:
by user
TommyBrady
AG
If you think A&M is destroyed or taken over by Marxists you obviously haven't been on campus. You guys are void of reality and instead look for boogeyman everywhere. Theres thousands upon thousands of great Ags. If you want to not treat Aggies as we are supposed to than great, but stop acting like you not helping current students are saving anybody
TommyBrady
AG
Lol imagine thinking that treating fellow aggies the way we all were taught is guilt tripping.
Post removed:
by user
taxpreparer
AG
lol. I live in College Station and interact with students every day. Some are great people who love A&M as much as you do. Many, it is just the school they managed to get accepted to; they do not care an bout its history or traditions.
***It's your money, not theIRS! (At least for a little while longer.)
TommyBrady
AG
I really wish you guys could see the thousands of great Aggies who are just as crazy about their school and the traditions who stand all game for football and follow the traditions that we all did as well. Yes, the world is changing and theres definitely liberals trying to get rid of what makes A&M great but thats why I donate to groups and scholarships that I know will go to the type of conservative students I like. We can stop caring and stop giving and let the liberals take over or you can fight to make sure the type of Aggies we want keep being able to attend the University. I'll never stop fighting for and supporting the school I love.
TommyBrady
AG
Thats true for anywhere! Theres plenty of young people that don't care about anything all over the globe. My goal is to give to kids who I know care and keep trying to allow for more of those kids to succeed at A&M
The TC Jester
TommyBrady said:

If you think A&M is destroyed or taken over by Marxists you obviously haven't been on campus. You guys are void of reality and instead look for boogeyman everywhere. Theres thousands upon thousands of great Ags. If you want to not treat Aggies as we are supposed to than great, but stop acting like you not helping current students are saving anybody
It is not destroyed, there are plenty of awesome kids from all walks of life who were raised right. However, at Texas A&M and pretty much universally across the nation in higher education, the influence from professors is overwhelmingly liberal and it's not even close. And we are not talking about classical liberalism here. We are talking modern leftists.

Something like 95% of professors in the social sciences identify as liberal. And I believe 40% as Marxists. Compared to only 5% conservative leaning...that is INSANE and far from promoting "diversity of thought".

Greek philosophers would weep for us as they cherished knowledge and healthy honest debate. If you reveal yourself as a conservative in some of these fields, you run the real risk of facing real consequences from the professors...most of whom are career educators and have never immersed themselves in the real world.
Post removed:
by user
The TC Jester
TommyBrady said:

I really wish you guys could see the thousands of great Aggies who are just as crazy about their school and the traditions who stand all game for football and follow the traditions that we all did as well. Yes, the world is changing and theres definitely liberals trying to get rid of what makes A&M great but thats why I donate to groups and scholarships that I know will go to the type of conservative students I like. We can stop caring and stop giving and let the liberals take over or you can fight to make sure the type of Aggies we want keep being able to attend the University. I'll never stop fighting for and supporting the school I love.
I have been in the "not another dime" (until real changes are made) crowd for a while now, but I agree with this. Solid post.
TommyBrady
AG
Sully was never going to go anywhere no matter the financial cost. Conservatives have decided that speaking with your money means not giving or not watching a tv show or something. It hasn't worked and we keep losing the fight. When we realize that we have to actively fight back by giving to areas that allow us for control over how its used then we can really have a say. The Koch foundation has been doing this for years to try to control the attack on free market ideas.
titan
S
The TC Jester said:

TommyBrady said:

It is not destroyed, there are plenty of awesome kids from all walks of life who were raised right. However, at Texas A&M and pretty much universally across the nation in higher education, the influence from professors is overwhelmingly liberal and it's not even close. And we are not talking about classical liberalism here. We are talking modern leftists.

Something like 95% of professors in the social sciences identify as liberal. And I believe 40% as Marxists. Compared to only 5% conservative leaning...that is INSANE and far from promoting "diversity of thought".

Greek philosophers would weep for us as they cherished knowledge and healthy honest debate. If you reveal yourself as a conservative in some of these fields, you run the real risk of facing real consequences from the professors...most of whom are career educators and have never immersed themselves in the real world.
This is really disgusting. And if Marxism is going to be so taught and pushed, honestly, have some fascist teachings, especially of some of the perks of the South American variety's ambivalent record, with some real perks and results as well as despotic moments.
FrioAg 00:
Leftist Democrats "have completely overplayed the Racism accusation. Honestly my first reaction when I hear it today is to assume bad intentions by the accuser, not the accused."
Post removed:
by user
flakrat
AG
She'll fit right in at North Western
TommyBrady
AG
I think the biggest difference between what I believe and what a lot on this board believes is more rooted in absolutes vs. reality. Do I wish we could fire every professor who doesn't believe what I believe? YES, but thats not close to being a reality based demand I can have. Do I wish we only accepted students who love A&M and will become redass Ags? YES, but thats not reality either. We are a public University in a world that is growing more left by the day. Instead of demanding absolutes I work on making impacts big and small to help combat this. Sitting on your hands and refusing to be anywhere in the process will leave conservatives even further out of place on campuses.

Btw I know for a fact that Sharp would have had to be relieved of Chancellor duties before Sully was moved. Theres plenty I disagree with from the Chancellor on down, but I do know not another dime just means we will keep losing the fight.
Brutal Puffin
AG
Who's sittin' on their hands? Those withholding contributions are having an impact. Do I think we could fire all the Marxist professors? No. But I damn sure think we could get some of them run off and replaced with classical liberals. If we got 25% of the bad actors out of here, that would be a big accomplishment. Even then I would press to do more. Then maybe we could get the kids really educated and prepared to help build our communities and nation, and help put a stop to some of the radical indoctrination that seeks to destroy us.

Like the old French saying (that their hero Lenin used) went, "You cannot make an omelette without breaking eggs."
TommyBrady
AG
When you have no money in the game who's deciding who will be hired? What liberal professor has been fired and replaced with a more conservative professor because of people not donating money? I haven't heard of a single instance of this occuring. Meanwhile I have heard of conservative foundations and Individuals who have donated and have had the power through their money to decide who is hired and teaches in the centers they have created.
Post removed:
by user
TommyBrady
AG
Young needed to leave because he decided to fall into the appeasing at all costs crowd. Willing to bend over and take the white guilt ideology to how he ran the school. People would be shocked on his views in private, he's more conservative than people think, but he decided to try to appease and thats why he lost his way. There's also a **** ton of research and funding he was able to pull in and thats why I defend him on some things.

I'm a pretty far right wing conservative, but I don't fight losing battles. You won't be able to throw out all the marxists and take back the school that way. You can when opportunities arise to exert power and the ability to impact change when you create scholarships for students who are in the young republicans from certain counties that you know will mostly be conservative kids or use your endowment to have control over which professors can hold your professorship or whatever else. Theres thousands of ways to make small impacts that lead to bigger ones. Instead of retreating we need to be active in the University and use our money to make changes ourselves instead of hoping a bureaucracy will somehow for the first time ever, actually work in the best interest of the individual.

I'll stop arguing with y'all but all I'm saying is that actively fighting back for whatever changes you want to see will work infinitely better than not another dime.
Post removed:
by user
cypress-ag
AG
Drain the Brazos Valley Swamp!
Three Twenties and A Ten
AG
TommyBrady said:

Young needed to leave because he decided to fall into the appeasing at all costs crowd. Willing to bend over and take the white guilt ideology to how he ran the school. People would be shocked on his views in private, he's more conservative than people think, but he decided to try to appease and thats why he lost his way. There's also a **** ton of research and funding he was able to pull in and thats why I defend him on some things.

I'm a pretty far right wing conservative, but I don't fight losing battles. You won't be able to throw out all the marxists and take back the school that way. You can when opportunities arise to exert power and the ability to impact change when you create scholarships for students who are in the young republicans from certain counties that you know will mostly be conservative kids or use your endowment to have control over which professors can hold your professorship or whatever else. Theres thousands of ways to make small impacts that lead to bigger ones. Instead of retreating we need to be active in the University and use our money to make changes ourselves instead of hoping a bureaucracy will somehow for the first time ever, actually work in the best interest of the individual.

I'll stop arguing with y'all but all I'm saying is that actively fighting back for whatever changes you want to see will work infinitely better than not another dime.
You've definitely had some of the more logical and well-thought out arguments on this thread. Appreciate you sharing them and my thoughts seem to align with yours in that there is more to be done to stop/stem the tide of what is happening.

I would be interested in knowing what organizations you like and/or support that you believe are truly able to make a difference, as I would enjoy the opportunity to research them and possibly get involved (and others here may as well).

Thanks again!
Post removed:
by user
EclipseAg
AG
TommyBrady said:

Theres thousands of ways to make small impacts that lead to bigger ones. Instead of retreating we need to be active in the University and use our money to make changes ourselves instead of hoping a bureaucracy will somehow for the first time ever, actually work in the best interest of the individual.

I'd like to see more former students take an active role in funding/promoting/participating in Fish Camp.

Yes, I know. Fish Camp is goofy with the colors and the costumes and such. I get it.

But I had the opportunity to be involved in Fish Camp awhile back, and I was blown away by what I saw. A lot of the complaints and criticisms you hear are revisionist history just because it's cool to knock the experience. While they are there, the kids are bought in and engaged.

And for non-legacy students, Fish Camp is the first up-close experience of A&M traditions and values they'll have.

Obviously, going to FC doesn't make someone a conservative. The kids I met were about as you would expect, very socially liberal. But it does ensure that they'll have a better understanding of A&M's uniqueness.

Unfortunately, most Fish Camp namesakes today are faculty and staff, many of whom aren't all that bought in to A&M traditions. If really want to make a difference, nominate conservative former students to be Fish Camp namesakes so they can have some influence over the messaging their fish receive.

tl/dr

* Fund Fish Camp scholarships for deserving students
* Nominate conservative former students to be Fish Camp namesakes
* Fight to ensure that the teaching of Aggie traditions and values are a primary focus of Fish Camp

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.