SpaceX and other space news updates

1,219,562 Views | 14188 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by will25u
TexAgs91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Well yeah, it is a rocket. It's not like filling your car up. It's going to be more complex, but that is part of what's required to refuel it. Good insight on the process though,.
nortex97
AG
Apparently the de-stack was to fix a faulty grid actuator, fyi. (And they decided to just replace all of them.)

Malachi Constant
AG
OFT-1 had the grid fins fixed.
TexAgs91
AG
I like the flamey booster pic
OKCAg2002
AG
We call things like those "mudufalators." I bet SpaceX spares no expense in their spare mudufalators.
Kceovaisnt-
AG
Are you sure? I remember them performing wiggle tests a few days before the first launch attempt. They were planning on a boost back burn and flying the booster to the splash down area. The timeline is only different for hot staging for this test flight. That is unless I missed this.

Are you certain that you didn't hear the term fixed as in the grid fins don't fold up and deploy but are instead "fixed" in the extended position?
Premium
AG
Any tips on seeing the full stack up close today? Does it close down at any point today?
YellowPot_97
AG
Malachi Constant said:

They were fixed in the up position, not folded down, for the first test. They could still turn and control the booster on the return.
Kceovaisnt-
AG
Premium said:

Any tips on seeing the full stack up close today? Does it close down at any point today?
Just drive down Hwy 4 anytime today. They will clear the beach and close the road at midnight tonight. there shouldn't be any reason they would close the road long term. They might be rolling some heavy equipment up Hwy 4 from the launch site back to the production site but this will be intermittent. Just be sure to yield to construction vehicles and security. Don't block driveways and in general stay on the opposite side of the road to the various sites if you are parking or on foot.

Watch the video below for details.

Caliber
AG
Ship is Stacked again this morning!

Mathguy64
AG
That's crazy. NASA or Boeing would have taken it back to the building and taken 3 months to do what SpaceX did yesterday right on the spot a day before a test flight.
OKCAg2002
AG
Yep. And they used man lifts and dudes with pickup trucks.
aezmvp
What time is the launch scheduled for tomorrow?
jkag89
7:00 AM CST
PJYoung
AG
Discussion stream about to go live - usually a lot of good up to date info.

Kenneth_2003
AG
YellowPot_97 said:

Malachi Constant said:

They were fixed in the up position, not folded down, for the first test. They could still turn and control the booster on the return.
Thanks to you and another poster for the clarification. I (and I think others) know/knew they do not fold so when I read/heard they were "fixed" i thought they were 100% locked in place without actuators for that test flight.

I agree with the reasoning to not fold them. They do create excess drag, but as a percentage or as a lifting capacity penalty the extended fins are probably a much smaller percentage then they would be on the smaller Falcon 9. In fact the added structural and mechanical elements required make them foldable might outweigh the drag penalty. They might also not be strong enough then to be used to catch the booster on landing.

This actually begs the question... Could F9 ditch the landing legs and RTLS to a catch tower at the current landing pads? Would the weight savings from ditching the landing legs out-perform the drag penalty of the grid fins being permanently deployed?
YellowPot_97
AG
Kenneth_2003 said:

YellowPot_97 said:

Malachi Constant said:

Thanks to you and another poster for the clarification. I (and I think others) know/knew they do not fold so when I read/heard they were "fixed" i thought they were 100% locked in place without actuators for that test flight.

I agree with the reasoning to not fold them. They do create excess drag, but as a percentage or as a lifting capacity penalty the extended fins are probably a much smaller percentage then they would be on the smaller Falcon 9. In fact the added structural and mechanical elements required make them foldable might outweigh the drag penalty. They might also not be strong enough then to be used to catch the booster on landing.

This actually begs the question... Could F9 ditch the landing legs and RTLS to a catch tower at the current landing pads? Would the weight savings from ditching the landing legs out-perform the drag penalty of the grid fins being permanently deployed?

The chopsticks don't catch the booster on the grid fins. If you look below the fins, there are two knobs sticking out. Those knobs are what is caught by the tower.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Why truck it in instead building production onsite?
bthotugigem05
AG
Very little room.
Premium
AG

Kenneth_2003
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

Why truck it in instead building production onsite?

I think that's ultimately in the plans... It'll have to be for rapid turn around launches
TriAg2010
AG
SpaceX was inquiring with vendors for an on-site air separation plant around 2021-2022. I know my firm bid on it. For the scale they wanted, it's roughly a $10-20 million capex investment. Agree with the comments above that until they've got a sufficient launch cadence you can just truck in a lot of LN2.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Premium said:

"It's like a little baby unicorn!"
ABATTBQ11
AG
Premium said:

"What is this, a Starship for ants?!"
Faustus
I'm crushing your rocket. I'm crushing your rocket. Crush. Crush. [/kith]
ABATTBQ11
AG
Need to get a picture of you laying down and it sticking up from your crotch
TexAgs91
AG
will25u
Let's hope if the flight tomorrow doesn't go exactly right that the government doesn't delay SpaceX another 6 months.
will25u
TexAgs91
AG
bmks270
AG
TriAg2010 said:

SpaceX was inquiring with vendors for an on-site air separation plant around 2021-2022. I know my firm bid on it. For the scale they wanted, it's roughly a $10-20 million capex investment. Agree with the comments above that until they've got a sufficient launch cadence you can just truck in a lot of LN2.

I think it's for the oxygen, not nitrogen.
Premium
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

Need to get a picture of you laying down and it sticking up from your crotch

Was going to, but had the kids with us
Faustus
bmks270 said:

TriAg2010 said:

I think it's for the oxygen, not nitrogen.

I thought it was for nitrogen, but N20 rather than LN2?

Premium
AG
Good coverage:

https://www.youtube.com/live/6na40SqzYnU?si=ziSydiXfBTrJg_hO
bthotugigem05
AG
So annoyed that they're not going on YouTube for the live stream. I get that Elon wants to drive traffic to X but at least let us cast that stream to our screens
First Page Last Page
Page 305 of 406

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.