SpaceX and other space news updates

1,219,712 Views | 14188 Replies | Last: 10 hrs ago by will25u
zag213004
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Improvement every step! This is great!
tremble
AG
Love these days
will25u
I definitely saw stuff flying when Super Heavy ignited engines, but not nearly as much as last time.
nortex97
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Well that was fun. Now the feds need to let them do actual rapid testing.
Hopefully no plovers were injured/scared.
V8Aggie
AG
Had my 19 month old in my lap counting down from 10 doing his happy dance.

Got dusty in here.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Good to see American greatness again.
Scud Runner
I think they blew it up so they wouldn't hurt any whales
BigBrother
AG
US F&W representative comment:

"The environment, and several Bothans, died to bring us this launch."

Kenneth_2003
AG
will25u said:

I definitely saw stuff flying when Super Heavy ignited engines, but not nearly as much as last time.

Everyday Astronaut just streamed a camera from the pad that was able to see everyone else's cameras and tripods. They're all standing. Looked like some rocks and gravel kicked up or washed up. But it's hard to say how much was what...
sanitariex
AG
V8Aggie said:

Had my 19 month old in my lap counting down from 10 doing his happy dance.

Got dusty in here.

I told my 4 year old son and daughter we're going to get up to watch the rocket ship, they were so excited. My daughter came out at 6:30, and my son at t-5 just in time to watch on the couch with me! Awesome morning.
will25u
I think this is my favorite view of the launch.

Goose83
AG
Remind me not to watch the SpaceX Youtube channels again. At the 40 second hold they switched to a cryptocurrency spiel and I completely missed the liftoff
nortex97
AG
Sorry. That was not theirs, they broadcast exclusively on X this time.
will25u
Nice photo of hot staging.

Centerpole90
AG
That was amazing. Starship leaving Earth with what looks like a mile long focused exhaust plume look like something out of a science fiction movie. What a time to be alive.
will25u
That engine cutoff tho...

double aught
AG
Straight sci-fi!
fka ftc
Congrats to the SpaceX team and kudos to the thread contributors here that keep us always up to date.

I was finally able to get my near 14yo to pay attention this morning and I think I may now have him hooked.

That was simply awesome, impressive.
"The absence of the word accountability is not the same as wanting no accountability" -unknown

"You can never go wrong by staying silent if there is nothing apt to say" -Walter Isaacson
nortex97
AG
double aught said:

Straight sci-fi!
The RUD of the booster really did seem like a certain scene from Star Wars to me. I laughed.

Mathguy64
AG
I was a bit thrown when the hot staged with all 6 engines on Ship. I didn't expect them to light the mvac set, just the inner 3 Raptors, throttled down until there was separation. And then given the altitude they would swap over to the mvacs.
aTmAg
AG
Many of the 1st stage engines didn't relight after separation. They may need to relight them while the ship is in the same orientation and THEN rotate.

I wonder if the the 2nd stage raptors did damage to the first stage causing it to blow up later. They may need to make the gap between the stages wider and have some flame diversion thing within.
BayAg_14
FTAG 2000
AG
Why did they blow the booster?
aTmAg
AG
FTAG 2000 said:

Why did they blow the booster?
The booster made the decision.
double aught
AG
nortex97 said:

double aught said:

Straight sci-fi!
The RUD of the booster really did seem like a certain scene from Star Wars to me. I laughed.

You're all clear kid! Now let's blow this thing and go home!
Ag with kids
AG
nortex97 said:

double aught said:

Straight sci-fi!

Did it get outside of the range safety cone?

Or were there other issues that caused it?
PJYoung
AG
I've been under the weather this week with a virus so I wasn't sure we were gonna make the drive but I set my alarm at 515a for the 75 minute drive and my wife made the call to go.

SO GLAD WE DID.

we got to our spot 5 miles from the pad at 5 til 7 lol and man, the weather was gorgeous, picture perfect. So much better than the first launch, so clear and of course the ship performed amazing.

nortex97
AG
Mathguy64 said:

I was a bit thrown when the hot staged with all 6 engines on Ship. I didn't expect them to light the mvac set, just the inner 3 Raptors, throttled down until there was separation. And then given the altitude they would swap over to the mvacs.
I think there is some speculation they really wanted to get separation ASAP this time, as there wasn't a need to recover the booster anyway, so to a certain extent that was planned as a 'throw away' moment just to see if they could get to orbit.

That every raptor fired up on both stages is pretty incredible. The other thing may be that they didn't want to risk only one or two lighting this time on stage 2, causing problems with separation. I'm gonna guess they have 'massaged' some of the algorithms the computers/pumps running the engines are using, to make sure they don't cut off/out too cautiously, for this stage of development anyway.
TexAgs91
AG
I took some drone footage of the launch

I haven't seen any videos yet that capture the clarity of the launch diamonds at lift off. My son and I saw them so clear, but it doesn't come across in video. You can see the shock waves though in this video.

nortex97
AG
aTmAg said:

Many of the 1st stage engines didn't relight after separation. They may need to relight them while the ship is in the same orientation and THEN rotate.

I wonder if the the 2nd stage raptors did damage to the first stage causing it to blow up later. They may need to make the gap between the stages wider and have some flame diversion thing within.
The 20 outer engines on the 1st stage/booster don't gimbal and don't relight. It's very light for the 'return' leg without the upper stage or much fuel left, so they don't use those.
JobSecurity
AG
TexAgs91 said:

I haven't seen any videos yet that capture the clarity of the launch diamonds at lift off. My son and I saw them so clear, but it doesn't come across in video. You can see the shock waves though in this video.

I refuse to believe this is real until I can see it with my own two eyeballs. So amazing
aTmAg
AG
nortex97 said:

aTmAg said:

The 20 outer engines on the 1st stage/booster don't gimbal and don't relight. It's very light for the 'return' leg without the upper stage or much fuel left, so they don't use those.
Yeah, I meant several of the inner engines didn't relight. You can see it on the engine display thingy.
FTAG 2000
AG
Could have sworn they planned to only use the inner three that can fully gimbal after separation.

TexAgs91
AG
JobSecurity said:

TexAgs91 said:

I refuse to believe this is real until I can see it with my own two eyeballs. So amazing
TexAgs91
AG
First Page Last Page
Page 307 of 406

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.