SpaceX and other space news updates

1,219,970 Views | 14190 Replies | Last: 34 min ago by TexAgs91
will25u
How long do you want to ignore this user?
will25u
Malachi Constant
AG
https://gizmodo.com/boeing-starliner-first-crewed-launch-delay-april-2024-1850924885
agsalaska
AG
Friday night I was driving back to Bell Co after our football game in Grandbury and something over at SpaceX in MacGregor lit up the sky like something I have never seen before. It was on the ground but just over the hill and i meam for about 30 seconds the entire horizon just ignited. then it was gone.

it was wild.
aezmvp
Sounds like an engine test.
agsalaska
AG
Yea I suppose a rocket could do that. I was probably 10 miles away and it was amazing.
PJYoung
AG
agsalaska said:

Yea I suppose a rocket could do that. I was probably 10 miles away and it was amazing.

Yeah it was certainly an engine test. That's right where they do it.
YellowPot_97
AG
When are we going to get a starship launch?!?!?
RED AG 98
AG
agsalaska said:

Absolultely. My parents are 30 miles as the crow files and can still feel a test fire at their house.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Back in 2019 I got to visit the McGregor location for work and it was timed up perfectly that we were also able to go out and watch an engine fire test. That was definitely memorable.
Jock 07
AG
aezmvp said:

Sounds like an engine test.

That or aliens.
will25u
TAMUallen
AG
The feds suck.

We all know this
Premium
AG
SpaceX fan here… while true, relying on third party launches has been a strategy of nasa for 1-2 decades.
nortex97
AG
Nasa has been moving to private launch providers quite intentionally because everything since Apollo they have tried to lower launch costs etc. has been an abysmal failure, financially.

In truth, we are seeing a real golden age of new providers domestically ramping up what they can offer. Some have/will also fail but to claim somehow this is a 'problem' in the big picture because the Chinese are throwing so many billions of dollars at launching stuff themselves is…silly.

We will see if they can even roughly copy what starship becomes. I doubt it, outside of pure aesthetics.
Not a Bot
AG
Yeah but if it weren't for SpaceX it's not like there's a lot of other launches taking place. ULA, blue origin, boeing, etc have all had a bunch of flops and all have gone way over budget on their contracted projects.

I suppose we're not for SpaceX they would have gotten a lot more contracts for Atlas or Delta or whatever to be built but we would have not have had nearly the volume capability and we would still have zero manned capability.
bthotugigem05
AG
ULA is Boeing (and Lockheed)
PJYoung
AG
YellowPot_97 said:

When are we going to get a starship launch?!?!?

TexAgs91
AG
Are we waiting on a WDR or are we waiting on the FAA?
Fight! Fight! Fight!
PJYoung
AG
TexAgs91 said:

Are we waiting on a WDR or are we waiting on the FAA?
Yes.

But really it seems like it's the FAA.
PJYoung
AG
Full stack again

Kenneth_2003
AG
Is the FTS armed or will they again need to destack?
aezmvp
I honestly think Boeing and Lockheed could do it except for a few problems. One is everyone's fairy god Senators, the second is standardization of DoD/FedGov processes as standard and third is a failure by leadership to prioritize results above process. You could also put in there an institutional fear of failure.

Those are some mighty big hurdles and they won't get undone any, any time soon.
PJYoung
AG
jt2hunt
AG
Ridiculous!
nortex97
AG
And…unsurprising. Fish and wildlife. Lol.
Ag87H2O
AG
"As the consultation with FAA and US Fish and Wildlife over the Starship mishap will likely push into November ..."

What mishap? The first launch was a relatively successful test flight. Granted, there were some issues that need to be and have been addressed, but labeling it a mishap is simply not accurate.
TriAg2010
AG
Ag87H2O said:

"As the consultation with FAA and US Fish and Wildlife over the Starship mishap will likely push into November ..."

What mishap? The first launch was a relatively successful test flight. Granted, there were some issues that need to be and have been addressed, but labeling it a mishap is simply not accurate.

This was discussed in previous pages. The vehicle lost control and the flight termination system was activated. SpaceX can be pleased with the data and experience they gained from the flight, but it is still a mishap to those in authority.
PJYoung
AG
The main issue was the delay in blowing it up. At much lower altitude it could've been a huge issue.
NASAg03

https://arstechnica.com/space/2023/10/ars-takes-a-close-up-look-at-the-first-us-lunar-lander-in-half-a-century/
Mike Shaw - Class of '03
PJYoung
AG
VitruvianAg
AG
They should move the launch facility across the river and cut through Mexican Red tape the way everyone else does....
Caliber
AG
VitruvianAg said:

They should move the launch facility across the river and cut through Mexican Red tape the way everyone else does....
International Traffic in Arms Regulations - Wikipedia
VitruvianAg
AG
Caliber said:

VitruvianAg said:

International Traffic in Arms Regulations - Wikipedia

It was meant as tounge in cheek but at some point Space-X like TESLA will probably go global. I guarantee you if Elon can find just the right spot to launch and land his rockets from the Bermuda Triangle to make them more efficient he'll do it one way or a nother. I bet he's had it up to his eyebrows with those beaurocrats holding up his launch.
will25u
Pretty incredible shot through atmosphere.

First Page Last Page
Page 298 of 406

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.