CDC quietly updates their site to show only 6% of deaths were only COVID-19

10,600 Views | 106 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BamaAggies
Aggies2009
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid_weekly/index.htm

"For 6% of the deaths, COVID-19 was the only cause mentioned. For deaths with conditions or causes in addition to COVID-19, on average, there were 2.6 additional conditions or causes per death."
AggieZUUL
AG
Fauci and Birx have some answering to do.
Glenlivet
AG
I'm shocked
RandyAg98
AG
We have known all along that those with underlying conditions (hypertension, obesity, diabetes, etc.) were the vast majority of those who have serious issues with this virus. What exactly is the breaking news here?
AeroAg1
AG
RandyAg98 said:

We have known all along that those with underlying conditions (hypertension, obesity, diabetes, etc.) were the vast majority of those who have serious issues with this virus. What exactly is the breaking news here?
The fact that the CDC is actually admitting that the virus was not a deadly as they made it out to be? Perhaps it carries the same death rate as more common illness? Perhaps is the CDC (and main stream media) scored the flu the same at the rona we would see similar patterns?
HouAggie2007
RandyAg98
AG
Don't disagree. This is just not breaking news. We have known this from the get-go. The media just has not stressed this so they can promote fear.
The_Fox
Past time to open it all back up without masks or occupancy limits and if you are fat, diabetic, or have coronary issues, time to hit the treadmill.

For the statistical outliers that die, sucks but it was just your time.
amercer
AG
Most Americans have one of those underlying conditions, so it's not some revelation to note that most of the Covid deaths had underlying conditions.
Kyle Field Shade Chaser
AG
How is this not on major news, including fox?
amercer
AG
Because it's flat out wrong?
AeroAg1
AG
amercer said:

What is wrong about it?
amercer
AG
The implication that 96% of the deaths weren't caused by Covid.
AeroAg1
AG
amercer said:

Did you even read it? I clearly says comorbidities.

Covid + something else=94%

Covid+ nothing = 6%

GAC06
AG
amercer said:

The title and OP aren't wrong, unless you can show otherwise. A lot of people are running with it to say only 6% died of COVID instead of only 6% died of only COVID, which is wrong.
AgE Doc
AG
Aggies2009 said:

"For 6% of the deaths, COVID-19 was the only cause mentioned. For deaths with conditions or causes in addition to COVID-19, on average, there were 2.6 additional conditions or causes per death."

That likely means 6% had no underlying conditions.

The other 94% the death certificate might look something like this where you list other contributing factors...

1. COVID
2. Asthma or COPD
3. Coronary Artery Disease
4. Type 2 Diabetes
5. Hypertension
6. Obesity
amercer
AG
rudy99 said:

amercer said:

Covid+ nothing = 6%

The poster asked why this wasn't major news.

It's not news, because the implication that 96% of deaths weren't caused by Covid is untrue. That underlying conditions are present in most Covid deaths (and in most Americans overall) also isn't news.
Aggies2009
AG
GAC06 said:

amercer said:

The title and OP aren't wrong, unless you can show otherwise. A lot of people are running with it to say only 6% died of COVID instead of only 6% died of only COVID, which is wrong.

Yeah 94% died of COVID AND (on average 2.6) other things.
amercer
AG
The_Fox said:

Past time to open it all back up without masks or occupancy limits and if you are fat, diabetic, or have coronary issues, time to hit the treadmill.

So it turns out we're ok with death panels after all?

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but the American health care system is set up to save every life, at any cost. And Americans seem to like it that way. So it shouldn't be a surprise that the reaction to a heath crisis takes the same approach.
The_Fox
amercer said:

rudy99 said:

amercer said:

Covid+ nothing = 6%

The poster asked why this wasn't major news.

It's not news, because the implication that 96% of deaths weren't caused by Covid is untrue. That underlying conditions are present in most Covid deaths (and in most Americans overall) also isn't news.
I bet "most" Americans do not have underlying conditions and certainly not those under 40. And "most" of those that do have underlying conditions can be handled through diet and exercise. There is no need for us to shoot ourselves in the face economically because they lack will power and self control.
The_Fox
amercer said:

The_Fox said:

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but the American health care system is set up to save every life, at any cost. And Americans seem to like it that way. So it shouldn't be a surprise that the reaction to a heath crisis takes the same approach.
I am not in favor of denying treatment to those that can afford it but we should not have to change our lives to help them continue eating themselves to death.

That is not a death panel. Dial back the hyperbole.
AgE Doc
AG
The_Fox said:

amercer said:

The_Fox said:

I am not in favor of denying treatment to those that can afford it but we should not have to change our lives to help them continue eating themselves to death.

That's a pretty small percent who can afford ICU/Critical Care Hospitalization. Are you really in favor of denying critical care to the millions of Americans who can't afford it?
texink
AG
rudy99 said:

RandyAg98 said:

The fact that the CDC is actually admitting that the virus was not a deadly as they made it out to be? Perhaps it carries the same death rate as more common illness? Perhaps is the CDC (and main stream media) scored the flu the same at the rona we would see similar patterns?

Have you even looked at the data on excess deaths? ~200k more Americans have died than would have been expected in a normal year. If you're suggesting that these deaths were going to happen without COVID existing, you are objectively wrong.
Wheatables02
AG
AgE Doc said:

Aggies2009 said:

The other 94% the death certificate might look something like this where you list other contributing factors...

1. COVID
2. Asthma or COPD
4. Type 2 Diabetes
5. Hypertension
6. Obesity

I thought ashtma was removed from being a comorbidity or underlying risk?
Ol_Ag_02
AG
This won't change anything. Those who aren't scared were already living their lives. Those are scared, well, sucks for them.
AeroAg1
AG
Can you source your claim please?
The_Fox
AgE Doc said:

The_Fox said:

amercer said:

The_Fox said:

That's a pretty small percent who can afford ICU/Critical Care Hospitalization. Are you really in favor of denying critical care to the millions of Americans who can't afford it?
Are you talking about the uninsured? If so, then yes. End EMTALA. Even that is not a death panel. That is providing a service to those that can afford it or those that have jumped through the governmental hoops to qualify for insurance.

I would make an exception for juveniles but if you are not on Medicaid, insurance, or can pay directly you have made a choice and should suffer the consequences.
AgE Doc
AG
Wheatables02 said:

AgE Doc said:

Aggies2009 said:

1. COVID
2. Asthma or COPD
4. Type 2 Diabetes
5. Hypertension
6. Obesity

I thought ashtma was removed from being a comorbidity or underlying risk?
It depends on the severity of a person's asthma and what their underlying pulmonary function is at baseline... also I put or COPD(Emphysema). Basically I was just trying to show that there can be multiple cofactors that can complicate the treatment ultimately may be listed on a death certificate as contributing to a person's death besides just COVID.
AgE Doc
AG
The_Fox said:

AgE Doc said:

The_Fox said:

amercer said:

The_Fox said:

Are you talking about the uninsured? If so, then yes. End EMTALA. Even that is not a death panel. That is providing a service to those that can afford it or those that have jumped through the governmental hoops to qualify for insurance.

I would make an exception for juveniles but if you are not on Medicaid, insurance, or can pay directly you have made a choice and should suffer the consequences.
What if you are laid off of work through no fault of your own and lose your employer based health insurance and the only jobs you can find during a recession don't offer health insurance. Do you get axed by the death panel then too?
The_Fox
AgE Doc said:

The_Fox said:

AgE Doc said:

The_Fox said:

amercer said:

The_Fox said:

What if you are laid off of work through no fault of your own and lose your employer based health insurance and the only jobs you can find during a recession don't offer health insurance. Do you get axed by the death panel then too?
Buy it on the exchange. I am self employed and pay $2K a month. If you chose not to buy it, you better head to the free clinic.
AgE Doc
AG
The_Fox said:

AgE Doc said:

The_Fox said:

AgE Doc said:

The_Fox said:

amercer said:

The_Fox said:

Buy it on the exchange. I am self employed and pay $2K a month. If you chose not to buy it, you better head to the free clinic.
And if you ever get to where you can't afford to buy it at $2K per month, do we just let you die too?
The_Fox
AgE Doc said:

The_Fox said:

AgE Doc said:

The_Fox said:

AgE Doc said:

The_Fox said:

amercer said:

The_Fox said:

And if you ever get to where you can't afford to buy it at $2K per month, do we just let you die too?
AGHouston11
AG
AggieZUUL said:

Fauci and Birx have some answering to do.

Fauci at this point is checking his bank account- it's doing very well.
agdoc2001
AG
Since Rob is sick, I'll fill in:

Open. It. All. Up.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Keller6Ag91
AG
RandyAg98 said:

Don't disagree. This is just not breaking news. We have known this from the get-go. The media just has not stressed this so they can promote fear.
Doesn't this address with WITH vs FROM question?
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.