Apparently Biden gave a "homerun" speech last night...

4,658 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Artimus Gordon
mjschiller
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It was probably good to those who are "mentally challenged" and the communist.
Marvin J. Schiller
dustin999
AG
Even Matt Drudge liked it. Oh wait, I forgot, he's a bleeding heart now with terrible TDS. (and I don't care if he sold his site, his name is still on it and he's not being transparent so F him)
Artorias
AG
He managed to read from a teleprompter. High bar...
agsalaska
AG
In truth, it has been years, maybe a decade, since the US truly saw a transcendent political speech. I can only count four or five ever given by a president or future president in my lifetime, and I am 43.

Il give Obama 2, his 2004 DNC speech and his inauguration speech in 2009
Il give Bush 2, his 2001 inauguration speech and his **** you terrorists speech after 9/11
None from Clinton or Bush Sr.
Reagan in W Germany was the greatest political speech of the 2nd half of the 20th century.

There is then a huge gap looking backwards, probably all the way to Kennedy

'homerun speeches' that change the political landscape are extremely rare.
Rockdoc
AG
He read for 20 minutes (if live). That's a huge victory.
Legend
AG
It's hard to find an example of any convention where the acceptance speech didn't get good reviews (especially the Dems given the media bias). Al Gore, John Kerry and HRC all got good reviews. These speeches are written well in advance by talented speech writers. They are designed to be light on detail and loaded with feel good fluff and red meat for the base. The candidate has all week to practice delivery, timing, body language, etc. with professional speech coaches/consultants. The entire things is totally scripted by an army of consultants. It's almost like a Hollywood production (insert favorite movie president speech).

Biden's speech was good in the following ways:
1) he could actually read the thing and didn't have any huge blunders (a very low bar. A blooper in a canned speech off a teleprompter to an empty room would be bad even for Joe).
2) He made a lot of warm fuzzy comments (like "I will be everyone's president"), if you total ignore the way Joe and his party have operated for the last 40 plus years.
3) He attacked the thing that most potentially persuadable voters don't like about Trump, which is his personality and was semi successful at coming off as more statesmen like. (This again ignores his past history completely--but if you were just watching the speech in a vacuum, he presented well [enough].)

But, he did very little to nothing to create enthusiasm. It's like the Dole convention in 1996. He was a veteran senator. He had served his country well. He had a nice family, etc. etc. Even he gave a good convention speech. And he got a post convention bump (double digits) that Biden thus far has not seen. But, at the end of the day people were excited about Clinton. Dole generated little enthusiasm and was not going to unseat a charismatic incumbent with solid base support.

Biden's "homerun" was literally that he didn't forget where he was or who he was.

The character attacks won't really change anyone's mind. HRC attacked Trump in 2016, the media has been doing it 1,000 times a day every day of his presidency. I don't think the Covid stuff will go far either. People are getting fed up with lockdowns. Europe is facing huge spikes recently (let's see how they can blame Trump for that), and the blue states botched it worse than anyone. Biden had no specifics other than an unenforceable national mask mandate. Voters will realize the intellectual dishonesty of criticizing Trump for not locking everyone up like South Korea or New Zealand, while also blaming him for the jobless numbers. Notably, the economic toll in places like the UK and Germany is far worse, and they are still spiking. The economy was humming along before Covid and all demographics were doing better than ever economically.

It seems like Trump has an easy case to make about who is better to restore the economy. This isn't a Bush 41 problem ("It's the economy stupid") where he can be blamed for a global economic crisis caused by a pandemic. If Covid were a US only phenomenon then maybe voters would hold Trump accountable. But, I just don't see that happening. Biden ignored the looting and lawlessness that turns off most Americans (see first time gun purchases and multiple threads on the Outdoors board about not being able to buy ammo). The door is wide open for Trump next week and throughout the rest of the campaign cycle.

If Biden's speech was a homerun, Trump can carry on the themes of his Mt. Rushmore speech and make his a Grand Slam.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Artorias said:

He managed to read from a teleprompter. High bar...
Well when you're like 90 and your brain is melting into itself....
lead
Excellent post. Take out a couple of jabs at Biden and that could be a published editorial.
Legend
AG
lead said:

Excellent post. Take out a couple of jabs at Biden and that could be a published editorial.
Thanks. I typed it right as the thread fell off the front page, so I'm just glad someone actually read it! It turned out to be a little TLDR-ish.
thirdcoast
AG
If you make fun of Biden for his dementia you are basically bullying kids with stuttering problems.
rocky the dog
AG
Quote:

He managed to read from a teleprompter. High bar.
Elections are when people find out what politicians stand for, and politicians find out what people will fall for.
Gigem314
AG
thirdcoast said:

If you make fun of Biden for his dementia you are basically bullying kids with stuttering problems.
But it's ok to make fun of Trump's skin color, or hair, and misstatements, because "Republican bad Democrat good"
agdaddy04
AG
https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/3132354

Is it really a homerun if he gave the same speech 12 years ago?
YouBet
AG
Gigem314 said:

thirdcoast said:

But it's ok to make fun of Trump's skin color, or hair, and misstatements, because "Republican bad Democrat good"

It's also ok to fat shame Trump....just no one else.
JamesBREI06
AG
The same home run it was 12 years ago!

https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/3132354
Artimus Gordon
AG
Did the media slobber all over that 2008 speech, like they are in 2020?

Just asking?
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.