Story Poster

A note to the TexAgs community regarding posting and moderation

July 3, 2020

TexAgs,

I cannot recall a more tense time in our history together. With a global pandemic, no college sports, racial tensions on campus and differing political views tearing us apart, clarity and civility seem elusive.

In a moment like this, we've had to lean on one of our guiding principles: We believe progress is made through MORE discussion, not LESS, and we believe that to be true even if the topics are uncomfortable and we occasionally disagree with one another. TexAgs has always been a place for Aggies to connect with each other, express our opinions and have a shared experience centered around topics we are passionate about. Lately, some of those topics are being discussed with a heightened level of passion, so it's more important than ever that we find a way to be civil, respectful and productive.

Posting Policies

We want to remind everyone that there are rules to posting here, and those rules can be found in our user agreement/posting policy. Like many other online forums have recently, we recognized room for our own improvement, so we updated the rules and encourage each of you to read them at your earliest convenience. As it relates to what we are all going through together right now, I want to be really clear about the following:

TexAgs staff, our moderators and the overwhelming majority of posters on this site will not stand for comments that are racist, sexist or in any way dehumanizing. We have and will continue to remove any posts we see that are hateful or that contain content intended to demean any group. This does not mean we can't discuss hot-button issues on TexAgs, but we ask that you be thoughtful and charitable when you do. If you are unable to express your point in a humanizing way, your post will be removed and you will not be welcome to post on TexAgs any longer.

This policy will be strictly enforced by our moderators, who will work diligently to catch everything they can, but remember, with 2.5 million posts here every year it is not possible for us to bat a thousand on the removal of ALL objectionable posts. We will be doing our best to protect your right to free speech and to express yourself, but we will need your help.

Help Us Protect Free Speech

If you come across anything you believe offends one of our policies, PLEASE flag the post for moderator review. We do not approve posts before they go up and we are unable to read them all immediately after they do. We depend heavily on the posting community to bring problem posts to our attention. If in doubt, flag and we will review.

Thank you for your help and for making TexAgs a community where EVERYONE has the right to be heard and respected. We are deeply greatful for your continued support.

Gig’Em!

Brandon Jones ‘95
President & CEO

Discussion from...

A note to the TexAgs community regarding posting and moderation

178,213 Views | 189 Replies | Last: 7 days ago by AggieVictor10
pacecar02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
[Posting your moderation complaints is not the way to address these matters. If you would read the notes that state the basis for removal, you would see that all the posts on the thread in question were automatically removed as replies to other posts that were deleted. There may have been nothing objectionable in your posts, it's simply the fact that they replied to objectionable posts that resulted in them being removed. This automatic removal feature is sometimes necessary for the sake of time, and to keep the discussion on topic -- Staff]
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
Quote:

We believe progress is made through MORE discussion, not LESS, and we believe that to be true even if the topics are uncomfortable and we occasionally disagree with one another.

Sounds good. Now explain this:

https://texags.com/forums/84
Irish 2.0
Why was the thread on Premium deleted about Rueben Owens yesterday? The one I started that was just a quote from Brauny on the portal threat. I boarded a flight and saw a bunch of responses and when I landed it was gone.

PM'd the question yesterday to mod and Brauny.

Thanks
agsalaska
AG
Curious as well
ProgN
Staff, you've posted numerous times that we should email you for clarification and not publicly on the board. My thread was Scoobied (deleted) and I emailed you almost 3 days ago, yet I've received no reply. Why do you point the way but you don't respond? It's not professional to demand emails only to ignore them,

[You're not putting any effort into this. Your OP: "She and all other prog freaks should be lowered into a woodchipper for trying to undermine the family unit" was removed because it violated the posting policy at the TOP OF THIS PAGE, specifically the item about promoting violence:

6. Promoting Violence: We will not permit posting that promotes (or wishes for) violence toward others unless that violence is clearly depicting and/or advocating for self-defense. This includes not posting remarks or jokes that passively suggest an individual or group deserves injury or harm.

For such clear violations of the posting policy, it would be rare for us to leave a note or answer an email when we've already spent the time to communicate the policy in advance. -- Staff]
pacecar02
pacecar02 said:

[Posting your moderation complaints is not the way to address these matters. If you would read the notes that state the basis for removal, you would see that all the posts on the thread in question were automatically removed as replies to other posts that were deleted. There may have been nothing objectionable in your posts, it's simply the fact that they replied to objectionable posts that resulted in them being removed. This automatic removal feature is sometimes necessary for the sake of time, and to keep the discussion on topic -- Staff]
I get you, I really do

When you delete everything and leave no trace and no emails are sent, how is one to know?

There is nothing left to reference, everything is just memory holed.
Irish 2.0
Irish 2.0 said:

Why was the thread on Premium deleted about Rueben Owens yesterday? The one I started that was just a quote from Brauny on the portal threat. I boarded a flight and saw a bunch of responses and when I landed it was gone.

PM'd the question yesterday to mod and Brauny.

Thanks

I'm still genuinely curious about this one. At least PM with a reason if you don't want to post it publicly.
aggielostinETX
AG
[Use the flagging function to highlight threads or posts that you think need moderator review. Just because it's flagged doesn't mean we'll remove it, but we appreciate your help -- Staff]
ham98
pacecar02 said:

pacecar02 said:

I get you, I really do

When you delete everything and leave no trace and no emails are sent, how is one to know?

There is nothing left to reference, everything is just memory holed.
If they make your thread disappear is that not a form of transparency?
torrid
AG
So what happened to Scooby-Doo?
AggieVictor10
AG
At least replace ruh roh with the JFF + thots pic
aggielostinETX
AG
Interesting that two goofy anti liberal threads were locked today with no explanation.
BMX Bandit
Can you explain why sometimes an entire post is removed, and other times it is just edited so that nothing is in the post?

Thanks. Curious as to whether there is some distinction.
Psycho Bunny
BMX Bandit said:

Can you explain why sometimes an entire post is removed, and other times it is just edited so that nothing is in the post?

Thanks. Curious as to whether there is some distinction.
BadMoonRisin
AG
This post is almost 3 years old. If it were a toddler, it could probably figure out how to walk...

So...can it?

There's a definite fine line against banning TxJortsAgent because he apparently infitrated this site and scammed an unknown number of users from their hard-earned cash and also being a ******ed mouthpiece who censors information and makes the chinavirus out to be a worldwide plague that will kill everyone.
aggielostinETX
AG
BadMoonRisin said:

This post is almost 3 years old. If it were a toddler, it could probably figure out how to walk...

So...can it?

There's a definite fine line against banning TxJortsAgent because he apparently infitrated this site and scammed an unknown number of users from their hard-earned cash and also being a ******ed mouthpiece who censors information and makes the chinavirus out to be a worldwide plague that will kill everyone.

Oh, man. Fun times getting scammed.
BadMoonRisin
AG
aggielostinETX
AG
BadMoonRisin said:

aggielostinETX said:

BadMoonRisin said:

So...can it?

Oh, man. Fun times getting scammed.
Show me, on the doll, where Jorts scammed you.

Texags was completely cool with this, but not me calling out that Kari Mullis, the Nobel Prize winning inventor of the PCR test, said that PCR tests should NOT be used to diagnose disease. This was early on in the COVID scam debate. I was censored and banned for saying that. By I guess AI. It couldnt have been an activist mod on this very forum, for they do not exist.

Oh I agree with you. PCR tests shouldn't be used for COVID. MRNA shouldn't be used for COVID.

Luckily, I got my money back but many others did not.
Charpie
AG
Texags was unaware of what Jorts was doing. I don't think it's fair to hold them to blame.
MagnumLoad
Censorship is like government, the less the better.
I hate tu. It's in my blood.
Manhattan
https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/3369922/replies/64550316

So can we respond to this kinda BS instead of just flagging? It's like ****ing elementary school in here where the person who starts the fight gets a slap on the wrist, and the person who ends it gets banned.
aggielostinETX
AG
[We've been clear that complaining about moderation on the boards isn't the way to go. Please reach out to Moderator at Texags.com if you have constructive feedback -- Staff]
aggielostinETX
AG
A friend has received a permaban but can't get a response from moderation email. Can you look into it?
“A republic, if you can keep it”

AggieKatie2 said:
ETX is honestly starting to scare me a bit as someone who may be trigger happy.
LSB_2002
AG
texsn95
AG
Manhattan said:

https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/3369922/replies/64550316

So can we respond to this kinda BS instead of just flagging? It's like ****ing elementary school in here where the person who starts the fight gets a slap on the wrist, and the person who ends it gets banned.

For what? He's right.
GeorgiAg
AG
Mods, just rainbow out F16 for one day, or even for one hour. The meltdown here would be well worth the entertainment value. There would probably be like 50 bans.

(This is just a joke)

I'd complain too, but it'd be hilarious.
Sea Speed
AG
GeorgiAg said:

Mods, just rainbow out F16 for one day, or even for one hour. The meltdown here would be well worth the entertainment value. There would probably be like 50 bans.

(This is just a joke)

I'd complain too, but it'd be hilarious.

Tbh this would be amazing.
Sea Speed
AG
Even better, rainbow out kyle
GeorgiAg
AG
Sea Speed said:

Even better, rainbow out kyle
No. They might actually do that.

Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
Sooo…Is this still a thing?

Quote:

1. Trolling
Please refrain from posting comments that are intended to draw other posters off-sides and not offered as a good faith attempt at constructive community discussion. We remove content meant to provoke and incite conflict within the community.

If so, I think it's time to have an open and honest discussion with the fine folks at forum 16.

[You know the routine. Please flag any posts you think are trolling for staff review. Just because it's flagged doesn't mean it will be removed, but we'll give it a fair look -- Staff]
Agthatbuilds
Why was the dei thread removed? Didn't seem all that controversial
AggieVictor10
AG
Sounds good. Thanks for everything you do, staff.
Less virtue signaling, more vice signaling.

Birds aren’t real.
nortex97
AG
Are y'all going to have a fix in the works to where x dot com links show up on the site a la Twitter? Thx.
nortex97
AG
Can we please get twitter or 'X' embedding fixed/is that just not going to happen? Is it just me having the challenge? Is it something that could go on for a while?

ProgN
nortex97 said:

Can we please get twitter or 'X' embedding fixed/is that just not going to happen? Is it just me having the challenge? Is it something that could go on for a while?

I believe that this situation was created by X "Twitter" and not TA. It's happening on multiple sites, not just here.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.