A new coach scenario

3,737 Views | 67 Replies | Last: 17 yr ago by DonaldFDraper
Kramer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just for the sake of discussion, how many of you would support Pat Summit if she could be lured away from Tennessee to become our new Men's basketball coach.

discuss.
MarcAg
AG
I would rather have Melvin
Slip01
i believe she can coach with most, however i dont know that a mens team would respond to a woman leading the team. and that is part of coaching...so...i agree with marcag
MarcAg
AG
I think her biggest problem would be recruiting. Can't see her landing any decent talent
orion
women's hoops is a lot easier to coach than men's, for a man or a woman coach. I think Summitt would have success at mens d3, or at a small mid major. Once she won at that level, she might be able to move up to a major conference mens team.
Muy
AG
[Muy, please back off your obsession on bashing Melvin. - STAFF]

[This message has been edited by TexAgs staff (edited 3/3/2004 9:02a).]
orion
the women's game doesn't involve defense being played.
Ag_EE_88
AG
Since when has defense been a big part of Aggie basketball?
Inca
AG
I don't think Pat Summit (or any woman) would be a suitable coach for a Men's D-1 team.

However, the statement that women's basketball does not involve playing defense is a bit ridiculous.

Have you seen Coach Blair's team? They play great pressure D.
He Hate Me
WOMEN COACHING MEN? STUPID

[This message has been edited by He Hate Me (edited 3/3/2004 9:56a).]
orion
i'm sorry, but compared to the defense played in mens basketball, women don't play defense. they may pressure the ball up the court, but just about every jumper taken in the women's game is uncontested. there are very few shots blocked in the paint, virtually no rough stuff in the paint, and every outside shot is so open that the women don't even have to use a jump shot. They use that one foot, ball near the side of the head, push shot that every girl uses. sheryl swoops is one of the only women I've ever seen that shoots an actual jump shot like a man.
NyAggie
AG
a female head coach of the men's basketball team woulf have a hard time recruiting.

I'm just thinking back to when I was 18 years old and
if I were a potential recruit I would not sign on to play for a woman.
justwin
AG
To think that a woman could not successfully coach men's hoops is ridiculous. Sex has absolutely nothing to do with it. Either you got it, or you don't. I agree that the women's game IS totally different from the men's game, but that does not mean that Summit couldn't coach men's hoops. Men coach women's hoops all the time.

Now, having said all that, I too wonder if she could recruit 18 year old kids that we'd need to be successful. I'd bet she could, but it'd be an issue.
Kramer
AG
I say that because I don't think it matters if you are a man coaching the women's game or a woman coaching men, good defense is good defense and basketball is basketball. I don't think the way women shoot compared to men makes any difference in the way you coach them. I believe that coaching (especially the head coach) is more about instilling discipline and desire than anything else. The assistants are available to teach fundamentals, but the coach is there to run the team. I think Pat Summit is one of the best in the country at coaching those things.

Recruiting. Well, I honestly don't know about that. I think the fact that Summit would have high expectations for her players would be attractive to recruits, because competitors want high expectations. The fact that she's a woman could help or hurt depending on the recruit. Some people are more comfortable with having a woman at the helm than a man. Some are the opposite.

I just thought it would make for interesting conversation. I think that there might be an adjustment period where she got used to the men's style of play (I mean, it's not like the woman has never seen men play and couldn't list, right off the top of her head, the difference between the men's and women's games). She only uses guys to scrimmage her team everyday in practice, and from what I here, these guys aren't exactly scrubs. There's no way we'd ever get her, but it makes for interesting talk anyway.
russaggie
AG
It's only the third day of the month, but this already wins the Stupid Thread of the Month Award hands down.
AgEE
AG
I'd go after Geno Auriemma at UConn before I'd go after Pat Summit. They are both very accomplished women's coaches, but at least Geno wouldn't have the gender bender problem with male recruits.

Gig'em!
95_Aggie
AG
Isn't Pat Summit really a man anyway? How about Jody Conradt ... another man in woman's clothing?

[This message has been edited by AGnCS (edited 3/3/2004 3:04p).]
Ag_EE_88
AG
Most men/18 year old boys have a hard enough time submitting to men coaches. I do not think they would play for at all for a woman. They would find that too degrading to them.
bring back the fire
heck no
Kramer
AG
quote:
It's only the third day of the month, but this already wins the Stupid Thread of the Month Award hands down.

And that statement already makes you jackhole of the month.

It's just a topic for discussion. Not a recommendation. Just talk. I see you can't make any intelligent contributions, so if you have nothing to add, don't ever open the thread again, and go about your way.
XL2Win
Women's basketball is to basketball what military justice is to justice.

NO WAY ... NO HOW

Excellence First ...
CapCityAg89
AG
Recruiting:
"Hi, I'm Pat Summit, I've won 700+ basketball games and helped create enough interest in a sport to create a professional league. I'm also very well connected in the NBA. I've coached undefeated national championship teams and a slew of all americans."

Coaching:
"I'm the coach, you don't like it, get the he## out"

The fact is that Pat Summit wouldn't DOWNGRADE to a program like A&M Mens BB and you jack-holes can't get over that - to question whether she's "really a man" or to say she's only qualified to coach at the D3 level is insulting and worse, makes you look like a total idiot.

------------------
"I finally started to realize it's really not about me or it's really not about football. Life's really not about you, it's about Christ. If it wasn't for Him, all this would be taken from me-football and my life, it could be taken from me if it wasn't for Him. I just know that's the first priority in my life."
-- Samuel J. Davis
grego
AG
Lay off the sauce. That lesbian exhibition is no way resembles the sport of basketball. This post just pisses me off.

Pat Summitt: "I'm Pat Summitt, a women's basketball coaching legend. Wanted to contact you about playing for me?"

Recruit: "Women's basketball? HAHA. Seriously, where's the hidden camera?"

[This message has been edited by grego (edited 3/4/2004 11:16a).]
bigbear95
Puhh-leze Cap.

Our awful Men's basketball team would handily beat the best women's college team. It's not even the same game. So don't give me the "Pat Summit would be downgrading to coach the A&M men's team" because ANY woman's coach would be upgrading to coach ANY men's program.
Plowboy
quote:
Our awful Men's basketball team would handily beat the best women's college team.

So I guess we'll never hire a guy from a Div 2 school because our men's team could beat them. Of course, every team in our conference and most Div 1 men's teams in the country could beat our guys, so they must all be better coaches than Pat. Sign us up for ANY of those guys. Get real. It's not like the men are going to play the women.

The women knows basketball. She understands defense. She understands motivation. The players being male or female make NO difference whatsoever.

Since everybody seems so entrenched in the belief that a woman couldn't coach a men's college basketball team, please tell us why.
orion
quote:
Since everybody seems so entrenched in the belief that a woman couldn't coach a men's college basketball team, please tell us why.

perhaps you should re-read the thread.
a couple of points have been made:
1) women's basketball is a much easier game to coach than men's basketball (this is not a reflection on Patrick Summitt's coaching ability).
2) if she wanted to, a coach like summitt could break into the mens game, but she would have to go to the lowest level (d-3) and have success before getting offers at the small school d-1 jobs. If she was successful there, she could move to a big conference d-1 job.
3) a female coach would not be able to recruit top players at a d-1 program
4) women's basketball at its highest level is still not as good as a varsity level boys high school team.
Kramer
AG
quote:
1) women's basketball is a much easier game to coach than men's basketball (this is not a reflection on Patrick Summitt's coaching ability).

Is there any evidence anywhere of this? Why is it easier? It's not like the coach is out there jumping FOR the players. It's not like the coach is selecting shots FOR the players. The ability of the players that play each game CANNOT be a factor in reasoning. Coaches don't compare, for instance, the speed of the women to the men, they coach to the difference between the team they are coaching and another team. It's the differential that's important, and I'd venture to say that the speed differentials in a men vs. men contest would be similiar to that of a woman vs. woman contest. Most of the morons on this board won't get that, but let me know and I'll draw you a picture.

quote:
2) if she wanted to, a coach like summitt could break into the mens game, but she would have to go to the lowest level (d-3) and have success before getting offers at the small school d-1 jobs. If she was successful there, she could move to a big conference d-1 job.

Why? Taking a risk on a woman coach wouldn't be any bigger risk than taking a chance that a guy from UTEP would have success in the Big 12. P.S. A&M hasn't had to much luck plucking "diamonds from the rough."

quote:
3) a female coach would not be able to recruit top players at a d-1 program.

How do you know? Don't generalize that what YOU would do would be what a high school recruit would do. If that were the case, A&M football would have no rival in recruiting.

Also think about this:

I've worked with and taught teenage boys from low income families. Because a father is often lacking from the family picture, they often respond better to females in positions of authority. I've seen countless examples of a male principal being challenged by a teenage male, either verbally or physically, and then backing down from a female teacher that they knew. You don't understand it, but it happens, and there's no reason to think a nonsense coach like Summit would have problems controlling players.

As far as recruiting, if we will, they will come. What kind of recruit is going to come here after an 0fer conference schedule?

quote:
4) women's basketball at its highest level is still not as good as a varsity level boys high school team.

Again, you can't make that comparison. You can only compare a men's team to a men's team and a woman's team to a woman's team. The team's are different, the game is the same.

Give Pat Summit 2 months to practice a typical Div 2 college team of men and I would wager a year's salary that her team could beat this year's A&M team.
orion
quote:
Is there any evidence anywhere of this? Why is it easier?

are you freaking serious?
1. women play all 4 years. teams grow and depth is built.
2. recruiting is easier. there are no shady agents/brokers/aau teams to deal with. mens hoops is a very dirty industry, much much worse than college football.
3. women players generally aren't going to be as egocentric and stubborn as star male athletes. they are flat out easier to coach.
4. I know you didn't want comparisons btwn the games, but the women play a very watered down version of the game. there is virtually no banging in the paint, and lots of open jumpers. The less aggressive game the women play is easier to "coach up".
Kramer
AG
I have to disagree with you on 3 and 4.

People are people. Some are egocentric and some aren't.

I saw an NBA game last night where a defensive player about 8 feet directly in front of the rim opted NOT to go out and even try to contest a 3 pointer from the player he was supposed to be guarding. Open shots are a result of poor defense, not being a man or woman.
grego
AG
This is perhaps the dumbest, most ignorant statement I've ever read on Texags
quote:
Why? Taking a risk on a woman coach wouldn't be any bigger risk than taking a chance that a guy from UTEP would have success in the Big 12.

However, it was quickly trumped by this gem, which is without a doubt the stupidest statement I've ever read on the entire Internet. Please tell me this is a joke. I would take that bet at 1-100 odds any day of the week.
quote:
Give Pat Summit 2 months to practice a typical Div 2 college team of men and I would wager a year's salary that her team could beat this year's A&M team.

Kramer
AG
quote:
That lesbian exhibition is no way resembles the sport of basketball.

Some would say that about today's men's game when compared to the game originally conceived by the creator of basketball. Oh, and nice of you to work in the lesbian reference.

Grego=Typical ignorant, redneck, Aggie.
Thanks for bringing us all down.

quote:
This is perhaps the dumbest, most ignorant statement I've ever read on Texags

You know, I think the same thing every time I read one of your posts.

quote:
However, it was quickly trumped by this gem, which is without a doubt the stupidest statement I've ever read on the entire Internet. Please tell me this is a joke. I would take that bet at 1-100 odds any day of the week.

I’m glad I have such high standing. I’d take that bet, because a well coached team will be a slightly more talented team that is poorly coached any day of the week.

As usual, Grego, you bring all conjecture and no substance to the argument. Why don’t you back some of what you’re saying up with some reason? Oh, that would take effort and a minimal level of intelligence.

Grego’s Typical Comment=”That’s the stupidest thing ever. It’s so stupid that it’s stupider than stupid. It’s the stupidest thing in the whole stupid world…Stupid.”
YellAgs
AG
no woman should be coaching our men's team or any div 1 men's team. just wont happen and players would never buy into it.
grego
AG
How much substance does this argument need? Look at the other responses to your great idea.

By the way, I agree that today's men's basketball is a horribly *******ized version of the original game.
grego
AG
And I'm ignorant and a redneck to say that women's basketball is dominated by lesbians? You might want to watch a little closer sometime. Or ask Sheryl Swoops.
Kramer
AG
quote:
to your great idea.

As stated before, this was not a suggestion. It was simply a hypothetical to be discussed by people that expect this program to be contending for a Big 12 title soon. If you've got sound reasoning which adds something to the discussion, then great. I'd like to hear it. I don't neccesarily belive that Pat Summitt should be our head coach, but I played the devil's advocate for the sake of discussion.

We've identified so potential stumbling blocks such as recruiting and adjustment to the men's game. We have disagreed about how radical those adjustments would be. Some believe that the adjustments would be minimal because basketball is basketball. Some believe the adjustments could not be made at all because teh men's game is so different from the women's game, although we haven't heard much on the differences, and I've conceded that Pat Summitt probably knows the differences off the top of her head.

I objected to the lesbian reference because whether the league is made up of chicks that like men or carpet-eaters is irrelevant. It's also a generalization that need not be made in reference to all women's sports. Trust me when I tell you that Texas A&M's women athletes are dominated by females that are women in every sense of the word

Now, if you want to or can add more points to the discussion, that's great, but if all you can say is "This is stupid" and "that is ignorant" then do us a favor and make it a point not to click on this thread again.

BTW, nice move posting this on the Rivalries Board. Felt like you needed a little help?
Page 1 of 2

Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.