A new coach scenario

3,783 Views | 67 Replies | Last: 17 yr ago by DonaldFDraper
Kramer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
watch a little closer sometime

You mean their making films?

I'm not sure how you can watch someone play basketball and tell if they like beaver or not.
91AggieLawyer
AG
I don't know if this is a good comparison or not, but I refed a few men's games (at officiating camp, not real games) with a woman who was darn good. I would have worked any of my games with her, including college men's. She's worked her share of high school boys 5A and probably some small college. She's now Big 12 women's officials supervisor.

I honestly didn't work with too many other women, and those that I did work with were in girls games, so its hard to tell. I think Summitt could handle the technical aspects of the men's games, but might have more problems dealing with male players.
NyAggie
AG
Time for some realism here:

no chauvinism, just realism:

Put yourself in the place of an 18 year old basketball recruit that is going to have to decide where he wants to play his college ball and hopefully make it to the NBA.

I'm throwing myself back to when I was 18 and a HS senior, and, no matter how good a coaching record the woman has, THERE IS NO WAY IN HELL THAT I AM PLAYING FOR A WOMAN COACH over coaches like Bobby Knight, Rick Barnes, Kelvin Sampson, Eddie Sutton, Bill Self, etc...etc...or even the worst men's div1A coach in history. He's still a man.

it just is not happening.

you can make yourself out to be the total idealist and fill yourself with giddy, self righteous delusions that it might actually happen that way, but let's be honest.....

given the choice of playing for a bitime D1a Mean's B-Ball coach that is actually a man and proven, or the choice of playing for, to an 18 year old kid, would be a false authority figure that you could not respect,(A woman other than your mom) sorry girls, but that is the way it goes, that is life in hollywood.

A guy may listen to his mother and to his wife or girlfriend, but beyond that, when it comes to sports,a guy has enough trouble listening to a even the best male coach.

In my days as a high school basketball player, we would have laughed a female coach right out of the gym.

Sorry, but simple male pride gets in the way. It will never happen.

Kramer
AG
quote:
In my days as a high school basketball player, we would have laughed a female coach right out of the gym.

I guess that says it all.

quote:
even the worst men's div1A coach in history. He's still a man.

So let me get this right, you'd rather play for a man that lost every single conference game the year before than play for a woman with over 700 career wins at the college level, multiple national championships, great contacts all over the basketball world, and a proven leader? Right.

You can't say what an 18 year old recruit would do unless you were an 18 year old recruit. Factor in that most of these guys come from different home lives that what you or I came from and you can't say with ANY level of accuracy what they would do.

I'm sure the same arguments that you guys are making now were made against black coaches at one time. They can't recruit. They don't know the game. No recruit worth anything would ever play for them. Well, some of those guys did alright, as I'm sure Pat would if she decided to go that direction.

I'm done! Check please!
grego
AG
For the last time, it is not the same game, not even close. FWIW, I don't think a men's coach would have much success in women's basketball either, at least initially.
XL2Win
Melvin would do OK in women's BB ... they don't play defense either.

Excellence First ...
XL2Win
ttt

Excellence First ...
SeanDaAg2005
AG
Even if they don't play defense, they do play offense, so he's still screwed. As for Summit or any of the top women's coaches (that are women), I think they could probably adapt to the strategic x's and o's type things. However, I seriously doubt that they would be able to recruit effectively and stay afloat. Anything could happen, though.
XL2Win
True to a degree, but Melvin has proven here and UNCC that you can put a scorer or two on the floor and manage enough points to win some games in most conferences. The difference in the Big12 and the ACC is that you HAVE to play defense to win.

Excellence First ...
SeanDaAg2005
AG
I think it's a tad more complicated than that. After all, we had an able scorer and still managed only 2 Big XII games. I think it's easier to get baskets especially for the more talented players, but there's still more to it than that. Our team was always at its best when it was clicking defensively this year.
mock1
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Can you say laughing stock?
XL2Win
OK ... and how close to how many ranked teams did we play? We were literally one decent player away from being a pretty good team ... maybe even a ranked team.

(of course I'm talking the women's team)

Excellence First ...

[This message has been edited by XL2Win (edited 3/5/2004 3:02p).]
orion
UNCC is a far cry from the ACC.
SeanDaAg2005
AG
And in all those games we stayed close, it was our defense that got us there. Yes, one more good player and we would've been great but a lot of that is because of our defense:

Baylor 60, A&M 57 (37.5% FG, 17-18 TO's)
OU 65, A&M 56 (OT, 39.3% FG, 23-12 TO's)
t.u. 64, A&M 62 (48.9% FG, 22 TO's to our 6)
ISU 66, A&M 58 (54.5% FG, 18-13 TO's)
OSU 52, A&M 65 (39.5% FG, 27-15 TO's)
TTU 59, A&M 58 (52.2% FG, 24-7 TO's)
KSU 59, A&M 56 (51.2% FG, 20-10 TO's)
Mizzou 61, A&M 60 (41.8% FG, 22-17 TO's)

Honestly, I did not expect the field goal percentages to be that high, but I still think those point to the fact that defense has been what has been keeping us in these games. At our home games, our opponent's averaged 21.6 turnovers per game. This was the main reason for our competitiveness, in my opinion. Our offense was mostly dismal. An extra player would have made a lot of these into wins, but would it have if we sacrificed defense? Although, to tell the truth, it's a moot point because I don't think Blair would have a good player that didn't play D.
jrgypsum
Pat Summit can do anything she wants.

She would not coach TAMU basketball.

I lived in TN 1997 - 2001 and have seen several of her games.

If (when) she runs for Governor, she will win.

She is one BAMF.

jrgypsum
hey grego - Gino?

Anyone who underestimates Summit has not listened or watched the women.

She could win in the NFL.

[This message has been edited by jrgypsum (edited 3/5/2004 6:06p).]
grego
AG
She's a good coach in WOMEN'S basketball.

There are several good coaches in 6 year old Gray-Y Basketball leagues. Neither is qualified to coach a division I men's basketball team. They are apples and oranges.
Kramer
AG
So we've heard.
grego
AG
I had to bump because this was arguably the best post in the history of Texags.
quote:
Why? Taking a risk on a woman coach wouldn't be any bigger risk than taking a chance that a guy from UTEP would have success in the Big 12.

You still agree with that Kramer?
houstontexan
most retarded texags thread ever....or at least in the top 5.
houstontexan
FG% aren't a good barometer with which to gauge D.
FAST FRED
AG

Someone said that women's basketball is just a watered down version of the game.

I can see how someone could make that semantic mistake.

If it were said that women's basketball is just a watered down version of the MEN'S game, I could agree more.

I enjoy watching both men's and women's hoops and the games are very different.

But I think that it's the men's version that's been adulterated and changed.

The women's game is more how basketball was intended to be played, so let's get our hoops history correct.

Enjoy whichever version(s) of roundball you like, but to say that women's ball is watered down is, IMHO, lacking in perspective.

BTHO Baylor, gals!!!!

BTHO Baylor, guys!!!!

Gig 'em, FAST FRED '65.

Before the world wide web, village idiots usually stayed in their own village.

[This message has been edited by FAST FRED (edited 2/14/2006 5:24p).]
FAST FRED
AG
BTW, don't most coaches decide early on whether to coach men's or women's basketball and then few will ever switch or coach both even for a little while at any level.

I think deciding which gender to coach probably is more about the individual coach's feelings, skills, opportunities and preferences than anything else.

If that's so, I don't think many of them would feel that because they're good coaching one gender that they would be just as good coaching the other.

I would think that being a girl's coach and a guy's coach are each pretty different gigs that call for quite different approaches, mentoring talents and psychological skills.

[This message has been edited by FAST FRED (edited 2/14/2006 5:57p).]
Aston04
AG
quote:
I don't know if this is a good comparison or not, but I refed a few men's games (at officiating camp, not real games) with a woman who was darn good. I would have worked any of my games with her, including college men's. She's worked her share of high school boys 5A and probably some small college. She's now Big 12 women's officials supervisor.

1. It's not a good comparison. You should know better that reffing is totally unlike playing or coaching basketball.
2. Your friend has likely risen to her level because she is actually a decent female ref. There aren't that many..

[This message has been edited by Aston04 (edited 2/14/2006 5:26p).]
Gringo Honeymoon
AG
I am not even going to read this thread b/c it is absolutely STUPID!
grego
AG
quote:
Why? Taking a risk on a woman coach wouldn't be any bigger risk than taking a chance that a guy from UTEP would have success in the Big 12.
andy_aggie
AG
Wow it was pretty insane back then...
bullard21k
AG
This thread was border line retarded 3 years ago. Now, well words cant express......
texag5207
There's no way I could support that.
Aggienk
Reminds me of the thread on BaylorFans where they wanted Kim Mulkey to coach football. Most actually thought she would be good at it.
Fat Black Swan
Little Rock Ag
AG
quote:
And I'm ignorant and a redneck to say that women's basketball is dominated by lesbians? You might want to watch a little closer sometime. Or ask Sheryl Swoops.

"WNBA star Swoopes says she's lesbian"-October 27, 2005
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9823452/

Oops.
nbbob
Classic!! Those idiots should come defend themselves!!
DonaldFDraper
AG
Terrible idea. Bring exposure to the school... yes, but it would KILL the Men's Program.

Thanks and Gig 'Em
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.