Black gay actor assaulted by "MAGA supporters"

692,705 Views | 4506 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by agent-maroon
drcrinum
How long do you want to ignore this user?

http://www.ilpba.org/announcements/7249825

Quote:

IPBA Statement on Jussie Smollett Case Dismissal
28 Mar 2019 2:49 PM | Anonymous

The Illinois Prosecutors Bar Association serves as the voice for nearly 1,000 front line prosecutors across the State who work tirelessly towards the pursuit of justice. The events of the past few days regarding the Cook County State's Attorney's handling of the Jussie Smollett case is not condoned by the IPBA, nor is it representative of the honest ethical work prosecutors provide to the citizens of the State of Illinois on a daily basis.
The manner in which this case was dismissed was abnormal and unfamiliar to those who practice law in criminal courthouses across the State. Prosecutors, defense attorneys, and judges alike do not recognize the arrangement Mr. Smollett received. Even more problematic, the State's Attorney and her representatives have fundamentally misled the public on the law and circumstances surrounding the dismissal.
The public has the right to know the truth, and we set out to do that here.
When an elected State's Attorney recuses herself from a prosecution, Illinois law provides that the court shall appoint a special prosecutor. See 55 ILCS 5/3-9008(a-15). Typically, the special prosecutor is a neighboring State's Attorney, the Attorney General, or the State Appellate Prosecutor. Here, the State's Attorney kept the case within her office and thus never actually recused herself as a matter of law.
Additionally, the Cook County State's Attorney's office falsely informed the public that the uncontested sealing of the criminal court case was "mandatory" under Illinois law. This statement is not accurate. To the extent the case was even eligible for an immediate seal, that action was discretionary, not mandatory, and only upon the proper filing of a petition to seal. See 20 ILCS 2630/5.2(g)(2). For seals not subject to Section 5.2(g)(2), the process employed in this case by the State's Attorney effectively denied law enforcement agencies of legally required Notice (See 20 ILCS 2630/5.2(d)(4)) and the legal opportunity to object to the sealing of the file (See 20 ILCS 2630/5.2(d)(5)). The State's Attorney not only declined to fight the sealing of this case in court, but then provided false information to the public regarding it.
The appearance of impropriety here is compounded by the fact that this case was not on the regularly scheduled court call, the public had no reasonable notice or opportunity to view these proceedings, and the dismissal was done abruptly at what has been called an "emergency" hearing. To date, the nature of the purported emergency has not been publicly disclosed. The sealing of a court case immediately following a hearing where there was no reasonable notice or opportunity for the public to attend is a matter of grave public concern and undermines the very foundation of our public court system.
Lastly, the State's Attorney has claimed this arrangement is "available to all defendants" and "not a new or unusual practice." There has even been an implication it was done in accordance with a statutory diversion program. These statements are plainly misleading and inaccurate. This action was highly unusual, not a statutory diversion program, and not in accordance with well accepted practices of State's Attorney initiated diversionary programs. The IPBA supports diversion programs, and recognizes the many benefits they provide to the community, the defendant and to the prosecuting agency. Central to any diversion program, however, is that the defendant must accept responsibility. To be clear here, this simply was not a deferred prosecution.
Prosecutors must be held to the highest standard of legal ethics in the pursuit of justice. The actions of the Cook County State's Attorney have fallen woefully short of this expectation. Through the repeated misleading and deceptive statements to the public on Illinois law and circumstances surrounding the Smollett dismissal, the State's Attorney has failed in her most fundamental ethical obligations to the public. The IPBA condemns these actions.
This irregular arrangement was an affront to prosecutors across the State, the Chicago Police Department, victims of hate crimes, and the people of the City of Chicago and Cook County. We strongly encourage our members and the public to review the National District Attorneys Associations statement on prosecutorial best practices in high profile cases.
Best Regards,

Lee Roupas
President,
Illinois Prosecutor's Bar Association

aginlakeway
AG
"Central to any diversion program, however, is that the defendant must accept responsibility."
justcallmeharry
S
Something is going to hit a fan somewhere. Nice find!
If you think I am a liberal, you are incorrect. Assume sarcasm on my part. Sorry if something I post has already been posted.
bmks270
AG
So what law enforcement agency in Illinois enforces this law:

Quote:

the State's Attorney effectively denied law enforcement agencies of legally required Notice (See 20 ILCS 2630/5.2(d)(4)) and the legal opportunity to object to the sealing of the file (See 20 ILCS 2630/5.2(d)(5)).
aggielostinETX
AG
He got smacked with a $130k demand letter today.
jac4
AG
Can the county attorney be disbarred for this?
aggielostinETX
AG
jac4 said:

She might go to prison
FTAG 2000
AG
jac4 said:

Kind of looking like the least of her troubles at this point.

Ellis Wyatt
bmks270 said:

So what law enforcement agency in Illinois enforces this law:

Quote:

the State's Attorney effectively denied law enforcement agencies of legally required Notice (See 20 ILCS 2630/5.2(d)(4)) and the legal opportunity to object to the sealing of the file (See 20 ILCS 2630/5.2(d)(5)).

I would assume the AG. Without looking, I know he's a democrat. Let's see if he'll stand up to the obamas. (Yeah, right!)
Wildmen03
AG
Quote:

was abnormal and unfamiliar to those who practice law in criminal courthouses across the State

You know it's bad when the people that DO THIS FOR A LIVING go "We've never seen anything like this before, this is whack."
rocky the dog
AG

Elections are when people find out what politicians stand for, and politicians find out what people will fall for.
Old_Ag_91
AG
backintexas2013
AG
I assume they will be arresting the two Nigerians for assault since this wasn't a hoax.
usmcbrooks
Something is wrong in the DA's office, can't you jus smollett?
BenFiasco14
AG
Ellis Wyatt said:

Squadron7 said:

GCP12 said:

Every move they make just reinforces my belief that someone on the level of Obama is behind them.

The balls on these people if not...

Jussie is not even as big as was Gary Coleman or the guy who played Erkel and, by himself, simply not worth this kind of heat.

So what is it that must be protected that is worth this kind of heat?
I disagree.

These are people who believe black people cannot be racists. They believe true equality means white people have to be repaid for the past the way they believe black people have always been treated. They believe injustice against whites is justice for blacks. They think payback is appropriate and just. And they want to do it "in your face" because they can.

See: Eric Holder's treatment of the New Black Panthers threatening of voters in PA.

And Rahm Emmanuel is in on the scam.

This is fundamental transformation What are you going to do about it?
***** on TexAgs, workout daily, and keep stacking guns and ammo
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
aggiehawg
AG
Rahm goes full Linda Blair in The Exorcist with this spin.

Quote:

Mayor Rahm Emanuel on Thursday emphatically urged President Trump to butt out of the ongoing drama over embattled "Empire" actor Jussie Smollett as he blamed him for creating a "toxic environment" where someone would allegedly fabricate such an attack.

"My recommendation is the president go to Opening Day baseball, sit on the sidelines and stay out of this," Emanuel told a group of reporters.

The mayor called Chicago a "Trump-free zone" and blamed the president for creating a "toxic" and "hate-filled" environment that allowed Smollett to think he could get away with faking a hate crime.

"Let me be clear about something. The only reason Jussie Smollett thought he could take advantage of a hoax about a hate crime is because of the environment, the toxic environment that Donald Trump created," Emanuel said.

"This is a president who drew a moral equivalency between people who are trying to perpetuate bigotry and those who are trying to fight bigotry.

LINK

So Trump made him do it?
captkirk
AG
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Mayor Rahm Emanuel on Thursday emphatically urged President Trump to butt out of the ongoing drama over embattled "Empire" actor Jussie Smollett as he blamed him for creating a "toxic environment" where someone would allegedly fabricate such an attack.

"My recommendation is the president go to Opening Day baseball, sit on the sidelines and stay out of this," Emanuel told a group of reporters.

The mayor called Chicago a "Trump-free zone" and blamed the president for creating a "toxic" and "hate-filled" environment that allowed Smollett to think he could get away with faking a hate crime.

"Let me be clear about something. The only reason Jussie Smollett thought he could take advantage of a hoax about a hate crime is because of the environment, the toxic environment that Donald Trump created," Emanuel said.

"This is a president who drew a moral equivalency between people who are trying to perpetuate bigotry and those who are trying to fight bigotry.

LINK

So Trump made him do it?
Absolute garbage
Ellis Wyatt
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

LINK

So Trump made him do it?
If it wasn't clear before that Rahm was in on it, it should be more than clear now.

Never let a crisis go to waste, eh Rahm?
thirdcoast
AG
"Trump free zones" and "gun free zones" are the reason the mayor's city is nicknamed Chi-Raq.
agent-maroon
AG
That's absolutely pathetic. He's still the same giant POS he always was. Can't believe I had hope to the contrary after his recent press conference performance. Won't ever make that mistake again.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
johnnyblaze36
AG
One should never go full Rahm. He's almost as big of a tard as Ezekiel.

Also:

Wildmen03
AG
Pretty ballsy telling everyone that the PRESIDENT OF THE COUNTRY YOU ARE CURRENTLY LIVING IN isn't allowed in your city.

Most places east of us would consider that a death sentence.
Garrelli 5000
AG
I'm shocked this B or even C level actor is getting this protection. This is the type of red meat that the left should throw out to claim there isn't a bias.

Maybe not shocked. Tin foil hat on, planted firmly around my ears. It was mentioned earlier I in this thread, but this is designed to compare the Mueller results. The MSM/left will claim that the evidence is "just as obvious" against Trump as the evidence against Smollet.

They'll start saying the two are not mutually exclusive. I know it is a fairly common phrase, but I think it will become a standard phrase again very soon.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Adam Ag 98 said:

I'm shocked this B or even C level actor is getting this protection. This is the type of red meat that the left should throw out to claim there isn't a bias.

Maybe not shocked. Tin foil hat on, planted firmly around my ears. It was mentioned earlier I in this thread, but this is designed to compare the Mueller results. The MSM/left will claim that the evidence is "just as obvious" against Trump as the evidence against Smollet.

They'll start saying the two are not mutually exclusive. I know it is a fairly common phrase, but I think it will become a standard phrase again very soon.

B level actor + black + gay + Trump basher = UNTOUCHABLE

aggiehawg
AG
agent-maroon said:

That's absolutely pathetic. He's still the same giant POS he always was. Can't believe I had hope to the contrary after his recent press conference performance. Won't ever make that mistake again.
Particularly so in light of the Cook County State Attorney's Office shameful and probably illegal actions in dismissing, sealing and expunging the case. The lack of consequences is what allowed Smollett to plan and execute this hoax. Nothing else.

That's why he's crying about how he was treated by CPD. He believed he had protection and they would look the other way.
Tex100
AG
Wildmen03 said:

Pretty ballsy telling everyone that the PRESIDENT OF THE COUNTRY YOU ARE CURRENTLY LIVING IN isn't allowed in your city.

I hope Trump tells him to suck it.
techno-ag
AG
Wildmen03 said:

Democrats are the party of hate.
I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris

Vote for Trump.
He took a bullet for America.

johnnyblaze36
AG
The silver lining in all of this is that it has at least unintentionally forced all of the "woke" people to suddenly comment on the black on black crime infesting their own communities.

Mathguy64
AG
Adam Ag 98 said:

I'm shocked this B or even C level actor is getting this protection.

They had to. It's a black gay man who loudly proclaimed he was the victim of a hate crime bordering on a lynching. And the media fell for it. Witness the ABC interview with Robin Roberts.

When it became clear that not only was it not a hate crime but that he fabricated it to make himself more marketable for a TV show, they had to cover his ass. As bad as it sounds they had to make it worse and cover him up. They could not afford for him to take that fall as it undermined the entire argument the political left has made the last several years.

So now the narrative is no longer about a black gay man faking a hate crime for money. It's just a cover up. Someone may take the fall for it. But it won't be the black gay man and it won't be for a fake hate crime he made up.
Ellis Wyatt
aggiehawg said:

agent-maroon said:

Particularly so in light of the Cook County State Attorney's Office shameful and probably illegal actions in dismissing, sealing and expunging the case.
Rahm was in on it. Political theater.
BenFiasco14
AG
Wildmen03 said:

https://www.trumphotels.com/chicago

oops.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Tom Doniphon
Quote:

Rahm was in on it. Political theater.

Damn right he is... the whole bunch of them are power hungry elitists that believe they're above the government and laws that they so badly want to shove down our throats.
johnnyblaze36
AG
Just imagine for a second what a baby would look like made between Brian Stelter and Jemele Hill. I apologize in advance for ruining your day. We'll just never know what happened.

Squadron7
AG
Quote:

If he were untouchable then we would have never gotten to a place where 16 felony charges were filed against him.

Something unexpected was discovered...and discovered late...that affected someone bigger than the third billing level actor Jussie Smollett.
BadMoonRisin
AG
Squadron7 said:

Quote:

If he were untouchable then we would have never gotten to a place where 16 felony charges were filed against him.

Something unexpected was discovered...and discovered late...that affected someone bigger than the third billing level actor Jussie Smollett.
My bet is that Kamala Harris was involved and either directed him to do it or he did it to try and drum up some pub for her anti-lynching bill. (Wasnt Lynching already illegal?)...

Now...why the NAACP is nominating him for an award...i have no idea? Are leftys trying to say, despite all the evidence, that he was still attacked by MAGA bros?
First Page Last Page
Page 106 of 129

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.