Black gay actor assaulted by "MAGA supporters"

693,171 Views | 4506 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by agent-maroon
ABATTBQ11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
MooreTrucker said:

Your post is all very well-said, but I think this part needs to be repeated:

Quote:

Why do I say that? Because many on the left do a disservice by ignoring the existence of violent leftist groups, anti-Christian bias and harassment from the LGB crowd, and many other equivalent incidents. They have convinced themselves of a certain righteousness and the diminutiveness of such events. Adopting that same mindset closes the door on civility, critical discussion, and cooperation. It would make the right just as guilty as the left in the polarization and the fracturing of American society. I would hate for that to be the case.
It's the hypocrisy of what you mention that drives me away from any kind of thought of reconciliation with libs. Until they can see and admit that the harassment and violence comes equally, if not more, from the left side of things (yes, as Trump correctly said about Charlottesville, there are bad people on BOTH sides), I got nothin' for 'em.

First, thank you.

There is without doubt hypocrisy there, and it often makes it very hard for me to consider the liberal side of arguments, but there is a certain duality to it. The right can be just as hypocritical and prone to dichotomist thinking.

Case in point, violence against gays. Yes, American society has never been so open and accepting, but that doesn't mean decades of marginalization and the mindset it brought are just going to go away. I'm sure a lot of gay people do still harbor fear, rational or not, and a lot do still experience marginalization. To hear many on this board talk about it, that simply doesn't happen in 2019 and the real victims now are straight, white males (I do agree that there is a lot of prejudice and bias against straight white males thanks in no small part to "intersectionalist" dichotomist thinking), but the truth is probably in the middle.

I think a big part of winning people over from any side will inevitably involve intellectual honesty that some of our personal political ideas, perceptions, and opinions, and some that are very deeply held, might just be wrong. You can't find common ground and agreement with someone, anyone, if you are not capable of doing that. No one person or ideal or perception is unfalsifiably correct (there are no absolutes), so it's asinine to approach every situation and every political discussion with the immediate assumption that you are right and if the other person doesn't agree well then they're just an idiot.

I think there are both good and bad people on both sides, but to really get through to the modern left, we need to look back at the historical left. There are plenty of historical left leaning activists who were able to humanize their opponents and change their minds and attitudes by simply being the bigger person and refusing to engage in the violence and hateful rhetoric of their opposition. Whether social media has made that impossible in this day and age is up for debate, but I think the best thing the right could do in the long term is simply listen while also refusing to yield on policy. Avoid the inflammatory and controversial like Milo Yianoppolous while continuing to promote rational, level headed, and intellectual discussions from people like Jordan Peterson. Let the hardcore leftists make fools of themselves and continue to alienate and push away those who don't agree with them. Eventually, they'll have no one left.
Zemira
AG
Any word on Federal charges yet? The postal service can be vindictive.
wannaggie

Your post is all very well-said, but I think this part needs to be repeated:

Why do I say that? Because many on the left do a disservice by ignoring the existence of violent leftist groups, anti-Christian bias and harassment from the LGB crowd, and many other equivalent incidents. They have convinced themselves of a certain righteousness and the diminutiveness of such events. Adopting that same mindset closes the door on civility, critical discussion, and cooperation. It would make the right just as guilty as the left in the polarization and the fracturing of American society. I would hate for that to be the case.
It's the hypocrisy of what you mention that drives me away from any kind of thought of reconciliation with libs. Until they can see and admit that the harassment and violence comes equally, if not more, from the left side of things (yes, as Trump correctly said about Charlottesville, there are bad people on BOTH sides), I got nothin' for 'em.

Case in point, violence against gays. Yes, American society has never been so open and accepting, but that doesn't mean decades of marginalization and the mindset it brought are just going to go away. I'm sure a lot of gay people do still harbor fear, rational or not, and a lot to still experience marginalization. To hear many on this board talk about it, that simply doesn't happen in 2019 and the real victims now are straight, white males (I do agree that there is a lot of prejudice and bias against straight white males thanks in no small part to "intersectionalist" dichotomist thinking), but the truth is probably in the middle.
Great comments.

This particular point of yours reminds me of the arguments over "rape culture", where I see women and self-professed Male Feminists harangue someone in a verbal or online discussion for not understanding why women go through life looking over their shoulder expecting to be raped, and why women and SJWs are so quick to believe totally unsubstantiated accounts of alleged survivors like Blasey Ford.

The general flow usually goes like this:

Women and Male Feminists: Men and masculinity is inherently aggressive and untrustworthy, and society hasn't made any significant improvements to the "boys will be boys" mentality, so don't tell us that equality has been achieved and masculinity isn't toxic and we shouldn't believe survivors!

Reality-Minded Person: We shouldn't automatically believe "survivors", we should use the same rules of corroboration and evidence to validate their claims as we use for any type of accusation.

WaMF: No! You are going to make it so survivors are afraid to speak up for fear of being disbelieved!

RMP: It's not about belief or disbelief. It's simply about confirming facts according to a standard of proof, in the interest of fairness.

WaMF: No! Things are inherently unfair and women are inherently victimizable by men! You couldn't possibly understand what it's like to be a woman. To wait for another elevator if there's only a man or other men getting on. To drive past your own house at night so the car behind you won't know where you live. To constantly check 360 degrees around you as you walk to your car in a parking lot with your keys in one hand and mace in the other. Women have no choice but to live in fear!

RMP: Those fears seem really blown out of proportion. Some level of situational awareness is good for anyone, but my wife/sister/mother/daughters don't go through life being terrified of all men the way you are.

WaMF: They're not out of proportion! Do you know 5 women? Because statistics show that 1 in 5 women will be victims of a sexual assault. Your careless attitude is why one at least one of the women you know will be raped. I on the other hand am enlightened, and I stand with women. I believe survivors! I believe survivors! Reeeee

Usually at this point any productive discussion breaks down because the WAMF is now locked into their fearfearfear response, and when they quote that last statistic at you and it doesn't move you, they perceive you as simply not caring about their fear, or worse, secretly supporting the rape/oppression of women.

The problem is, all the definitions and shades of meaning get mashed together by careless research or careless news/blog/meme publishers, and then all these already-problemative statistics get re-mashed up by news/blog/meme folks discussing the issues informally.

So women DO have a putatively legitimate fear that every elevator ride is dangerous, because their perception is that 1 out of 5 women will be raped, which means it probably will happen to them and today could easily be the day, this elevator ride could easily be the one, this parking lot could easily be the one. But if people would stop and think about it, the overgeneralization is patently absurd: Do you really think that 20% of the elevator rides in your building end in rape? Do you really think that out of the 5,000 women who visit a busy shopping mall every Saturday, 1,000 of them will be raped walking back to their car?

But the 1 in 5 stat is incredibly problematic both in the way it is established and in the way it is applied. The number of those victims who were snatched in a parking lot and driven somewhere else is actually quite rare. The number of women who got into an elevator in their apartment building and were raped in it is very very rare.

But the sloppy labeling of the problem and the human tendency to generalize, leads to women walking down a busy city street looking around them and everywhere they see a woman they see "probably will be a victim of rape" floating over her head.

BlueAg2003
AG
Quote:

But the 1 in 5 stat is incredibly problematic both in the way it is established and in the way it is applied. The number of those victims who were snatched in a parking lot and driven somewhere else is actually quite rare. The number of women who got into an elevator in their apartment building and were raped in it is very very rare.

Only 20% of all sexual assaults are committed by a stranger. The majority are by a perpetrator known to the victim.
ProgN
wannaggie
BlueAg2003 said:

Quote:

Only 20% of all sexual assaults are committed by a stranger. The majority are by a perpetrator known to the victim.
Exactly. And yet we have trained a couple generations of women to be terrified of being alone in public or being in a room of men because something something toxic masculinity rape culture.

That mentality is the only reason anyone knows Blasey-Ford's name. Once you program women to believe that the world is a place where 1-in-5-are-raped, then you've softened their critical thinking to where it seems entirely believable that Kavanaugh was running some kind of Devil's Triangle club with boys high-fiving each other after tagging a new conquest.

BF's narrative (and some of the other attempted "Kavanaugh survivor" narratives peddled in the media) were a totally unbelievable mishmash of "Sixteen Candles" meets "American Pie" meets A Very Special Episode Of The Facts Of Life. But the population has been prepared to expect to be raped. So any claim is instantly credible.
SupaManu
AG
Prognightmare said:

What was it, nothing shows up?
justcallmeharry
S
And just a reminder, he has some sort of hearing on 3/14/19 in Chicago. Over/Under on an early plea bargain?
If you think I am a liberal, you are incorrect. Assume sarcasm on my part. Sorry if something I post has already been posted.
Dddfff
AG
Under
ProgN
It was the Smollet interview with Judge Judy. It was funny.
annie88
AG
Prognightmare said:

It was the Smollet interview with Judge Judy. It was funny.
ProgN
Thanks Annie
Celee04
AG
Quote:

I think a big part of winning people over from any side will inevitably involve intellectual honesty that some of our personal political ideas, perceptions, and opinions, and some that are very deeply held, might just be wrong. You can't find common ground and agreement with someone, anyone, if you are not capable of doing that. No one person or ideal or perception is unfalsifiably correct (there are no absolutes), so it's asinine to approach every situation and every political discussion with the immediate assumption that you are right and if the other person doesn't agree well then they're just an idiot.

I think that this quote should be stickied to the top of every damn thread on this board. Well said.
Reginald Cousins
S
justcallmeharry said:

And just a reminder, he has some sort of hearing on 3/14/19 in Chicago. Over/Under on an early plea bargain?

I don't know why we can never get this right. Over/under must have a number.

You're looking for odds on an early plea.
Counterpoint
AG
Reginald Cousins said:

justcallmeharry said:

Texags' constant misuse of over/under is endearing.
justcallmeharry
S
Reginald Cousins said:

justcallmeharry said:

Thanks for letting me know. I will use "odds" in future posts. Obviously, I am not a gambler.
If you think I am a liberal, you are incorrect. Assume sarcasm on my part. Sorry if something I post has already been posted.
Anti-taxxer
AG
Queen Latifah says she needs "definitive proof" before she believes Jussie is a fraud.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6773765/Queen-Latifah-says-standing-Jussie-Smollett.html

I guess the 58,000 pieces of evidence produced by the Chicago PD aren't definitive enough.

Prosperdick
AG
smango05 said:

Queen Latifah says she needs "definitive proof" before she believes Jussie is a fraud.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6773765/Queen-Latifah-says-standing-Jussie-Smollett.html

I guess the 58,000 pieces of evidence produced by the Chicago PD aren't definitive enough.

I bet she also totally believes Trump colluded with Russia...you know, because orange man bad...duh.
wbt5845
AG
Libs every time this thread is bumped.

Madman
AG
Prosperdick said:

smango05 said:

I bet she also totally believes Trump colluded with Russia...you know, because orange man bad...duh.
And that conservative kid was not punched either. Thats CGI.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
smango05 said:

add her to the willfully-ignorant dummy pile (starting to look more like a mountain).
Old Tom Morris
Queen Latifah is a fraud taking money to push that Strayer University crap. Using her celebrity to prey on her own community for the online degree scam.
Zemira
AG
So any Federal charges yet?
ac04

whoops
Bird Poo
AG
What kind of time is this guy going to serve?

My bet is 1-2 years.
jt2hunt
AG
How do you get 16 indictments? Wow
Rapier108
PearlJammin said:

My bet is 1-2 years.
If he pleads out, likely probation. Should at least serve a few years as a warning to others. I'm sure the Chicago Police Chief would like to see him rot in prison for a while.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Whens lunch
AG
PearlJammin said:

My bet is 1-2 years.
I don't know...a jury of his peers? I'm wondering if OJ will be impressed by the idiocy.
Not when I'm done with it.
johnnyblaze36
AG
So if he only gets probation after 16 counts I wonder what we'll hear from all of the people yesterday flipping out about Manafort getting 47 months. Hopefully they will condemn his gay, black, celebrity privilege.
agent-maroon
AG
Federal charges are still in play awaiting crime lab analysis of the letter & white powder he mailed himself. It's going to get worse before it gets better for Jussie.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
flakrat
AG
Hope this dude does serious time. I also hope retaliation victims (if any) sue the sheet out of him.
FrontPorchAg
PearlJammin said:

My bet is 1-2 years.
If he gets more time than Manafort the Left is going to **** themselves
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others
techno-ag
AG
He messed up by embarrassing the wrong people.
I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris

Vote for Trump.
He took a bullet for America.

Maroon Dawn
AG
techno-ag said:

He messed up by embarrassing the wrong people.

Exactly

First Page Last Page
Page 90 of 129

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.