Mueller dismisses top FBI agent in Russia probe for anti-Trump texts

7,487,419 Views | 49269 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by aggiehawg
SeMgCo87
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
MooreTrucker said:

blindey said:

SpreadsheetAg said:

Quote:

But underpinning both cases was one political calculation: that Mrs. Clinton would win and Mr. Trump would lose. Agents feared being seen as withholding information or going too easy on her. And they worried that any overt actions against Mr. Trump's campaign would only reinforce his claims that the election was being rigged against him.
"They never thought she would lose..."
There are some days when it seems like this thread and the Q thread are separated by a razor thin boundary. Today is one of those days.
And I think (hope) going forward that the line becomes thinner and thinner.
I think of it this way...

Mueller thread is driven by some incredibly sharp Aggie legal minds, who are interpreting evidence, legal documents, tweets and some opinions as to what kind of legal battles are going on and informing us in the popcorn gallery. Not to mention, of course, the ever-expanding links (degrees of separation) between black hats and other lowlife political swamp infections.

Qanon thread always seems to operate from a "crowd source" paradigm, a close following of some individual who releases cryptic grenades, and who seems to be highly placed in the Trump organization, with a heavy focus on a group of "weaponized autists" who seem to be graphically oriented, but can find a needle in a haystack faster than a cajun can shell shrimp at dinner (my wife can clean 6 of 'em before I get one ) And perhaps the one leading effort over the Mueller thread is that more degrees of separation are thrashed about in this thread

The Mueller thread also drags in some crowd sourced info, but assures it fits with the legal stream of thought.

So, I agree wholeheartedly that there will be a convergence, since both have at their heart the same goal - draining the swamp and cleaning out DC.

Perhaps that convergence has already begun, as many of the same bits of info are used in both threads.

I am, however, a bit reluctant to go over to the TD thread...a good friend in BR indicates it's pretty wooly.

redline248
AG
Well, it's run by a bunch of tigers, so...there's your answer
GCP12
AG
backintexas2013
AG
I think it's about time for a summary of where the denials started and how they changed

No spying was done to well yes there was but it was for the country.

The dossier was not used for a warrant. Well it was used but it was for the good of the country.
coyote68
Rockdoc said:

If anybody thinks muellers high powered team of Hillary donators is going to go quietly into the night, better think again.

I agree with you. There is a part of me that believes they are very dangerous because they are cornered. The realty is they are in full retreat and at great risk. They have appropriated the government's legal system to pursue a political objective of taking down an elected POTUS.

Just because they charge a very high per hour fee and may have litigated high profile cases does not mean they are competent attorneys. They have never been interested in the truth or justice.

God bless America!!!
GCP12
AG
backintexas2013 said:

I think it's about time for a summary of where the denials started and how they changed

The dossier was not used for a warrant. Well it was used but it was for the good of the country.
This entire thing has been so incredibly predictable
Garrelli 5000
AG
GCP12 said:

backintexas2013 said:

This entire thing has been so incredibly predictable
Over/under on the number of days until Comey claims their intent wasn't to break the law?
Staff - take out the trash.
GCP12
AG
I think Comey might finally be shutting his mouth. Bailing on the senate today kind of shocked me
Rockdoc
AG
Haven't heard much from comey lately. I wonder if mz Hawg has him. Haven't heard from her lately either.
Bird Poo
AG
GCP12 said:

I think Comey might finally be shutting his mouth. Bailing on the senate today kind of shocked me

He's been lying his entire career. He knows the gig is up.
coyote68
Crazy stuff. Brennan, Clapper and Comey devise a plan to entrap and take down Trump, but they forgot there was no crime. So with the whole world watching part of the plan requires a special council to find a crime where there is no crime. Good luck with that.

These 3 buffoons were head of 3 of our most important intelligence agencies. I'm not impressed and I don't think the Chicoms, ruskies, Persians, or North Koreans are intimidated by the 3 stooges.

It is hard to imagine where we would be if hildog had won.
ProgN
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2018/05/16/ex-cia-director-john-brennan-caught-sneaking-steele-dossier-allegations-into-obamas-presidential-daily-briefing/

Quote:

A new report alleges that former CIA Director John Brennan included claims from the dubious Steele dossier into President Barack Obama's Presidential Daily Brief without disclosing the source of the allegations.
"Brennan put some of the dossier material into the PDB [presidential daily briefing] for Obama and described it as coming from a 'credible source,' which is how they viewed Steele," a source close to the House probe told Real Clear Investigations reporter Paul Sperry.

"But they never corroborated his sources," the source added.

The allegations began to reach the PDB after Obama ordered Brennan to produce a report on Russian meddling in the 2016 presidential election, just one month after President Donald Trump won the White House. In January, both Obama and Trump were briefed on the Intelligence Community's findings.

Brennan's actions appear to contradict former DNI chief James Clapper and fired FBI Director James Comey's claims that details of the dossier were unclassified, despite being a part of the highly classified PDB.

In February, Brennan was ensnared in the House Intelligence Committee Republicans' investigation into the "origins" of the Steele dossier. The former spy chief was asked to complete a questionnaire concerning his possible role in the sourcing and dissemination of allegations detailed in the unverified dossier.

Brennan testified to Rep. Trey Gowdy (R-SC) in May 2017 that he had "no awareness" that Steele existed.

Brennan also told House investigations that the dossier was "not in any way used as the basis for the intelligence community's assessment" of Russian interference in the 2016 election.
RoscoePColtrane
Comey bailed today to let Brennan be the canary and see what came out of the hearing. His scheduling conflict he claimed to have, no one can seem to find what it was. He's off the radar and has been for a few days when they started adding two and two together. Brennan lied in his testimony saying the dossier played no part in the IC assessment, and the other two Clapper and Rogers said the exact opposite. I guess he assumed Clapper would toe the company line and line with him and contradict Rogers, but Clapper bailed on him and went with the truth for a change.

Brennan is in trouble and is hitting the media hard claiming Clapper and Rogers are incorrect, didn't call them liars, just said they are incorrect. Brennan knows it's going to come out in the investigation that he had a direct hand in the dossiers creation and introduction into the counter intelligence op that they were running on the POTUS. He's toast, and Clapper is going to sell him out to avoid prison. Before it's over Brennan will likely get out his prayer rug and red pill himself to Allah
Never take a hostage you aren't willing to shoot,
Remember, America doesn’t negotiate with terrorists.
Code 7 10-42
Garrelli 5000
AG
coyote68 said:

Crazy stuff. Brennan, Clapper and Comey devise a plan to entrap and take down Trump, but they forgot there was no crime. So with the whole world watching part of the plan requires a special council to find a crime where there is no crime. Good luck with that.

These 3 buffoons were head of 3 of our most important intelligence agencies. I'm not impressed and I don't think the Chicoms, ruskies, Persians, or North Koreans are intimidated by the 3 stooges.

It is hard to imagine where we would be if holding had won.
It is definitely time for the tree of liberty to be very publicly watered. With the depth of this corruption, the tree could become a forest.
Staff - take out the trash.
RoscoePColtrane

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/missing-files-motivated-the-leak-of-michael-cohens-financial-records

Code 7 10-42
redline248
AG
At the least, Brennan has committed perjury, correct?
Rudebaeger
AG

But perjury is not a crime if you are a lefty. Talk to Bill Clinton about that.
RoscoePColtrane
Code 7 10-42
drcrinum

https://theconservativetreehouse.com/2018/05/16/inspector-general-horowitz-submits-draft-report-of-clinton-email-investigation-for-principal-review/

The is a good read. It provides a practical guide for what is now going on regarding OIG Horowitz, what happens next, and how Horowitz's Report interacts with Huber.
It also gives you a good reason why Lisa Page & James Baker were 'dispatched' last week.
McInnis
AG
Quote:

I guess he assumed Clapper would toe the company line and line with him and contradict Rogers, but Clapper bailed on him and went with the truth for a change.
Clapper knows he was lucky to skate on the perjury he committed to Congress re the NSA spying on American citizens, and I really don't think he wants to push his luck any further.
captkirk
AG
Safe at Home said:

Quote:

I guess he assumed Clapper would toe the company line and line with him and contradict Rogers, but Clapper bailed on him and went with the truth for a change.
Clapper knows he was lucky to skate on the perjury he committed to Congress re the NSA spying on American citizens, and I really don't think he wants to push his luck any further.
I wouldn't want to test how many bites one gets at the perjury apple either. Bad news for Brennan. Comey should take note
captkirk
AG
drcrinum said:

https://theconservativetreehouse.com/2018/05/16/inspector-general-horowitz-submits-draft-report-of-clinton-email-investigation-for-principal-review/

The is a good read. It provides a practical guide for what is now going on regarding OIG Horowitz, what happens next, and how Horowitz's Report interacts with Huber.
It also gives you a good reason why Lisa Page & James Baker were 'dispatched' last week.

Happening status: It's
Nosmo
AG
Quote:

The average time for an OIG DoJ draft to receive comment and then go to final publication is about two weeks. It has been this way since about 2005.

The most recent related IG report, on Andrew McCabe misconduct, was about 10 days from draft review to final publication. This puts the time-frame for final report publication before the end of May.
Cepe
AG
One of the three of Brennan, Clapper or Comey is going to wind up dead in a "workout incident" or something and take the blame for everything posthumously I bet.
aggiehawg
AG
Safe at Home said:

Quote:

When Clapper was on with Chuck Todd a year ago, I could sense he was uncomfortable and not sure how to phrase things.

Larry S Ross
AG
Nosmo said:

Quote:

The average time for an OIG DoJ draft to receive comment and then go to final publication is about two weeks. It has been this way since about 2005.

The most recent related IG report, on Andrew McCabe misconduct, was about 10 days from draft review to final publication. This puts the time-frame for final report publication before the end of May.

Let's get this moving and fast. I'm tiered of waiting.
If they are findingmoe corruption let that be later supplemental report to existing.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
captkirk said:

drcrinum said:

Happening status: It's
Ded status: they.
JTA1029
AG
Can someone TLDR today's events? I've been busy and it seems like a lot has happened. Levin was railing about a small group of FBI agents started investigating Trump on their own and that Sally Yates signed the original FISA warrant for Flynn.
drcrinum

The infamous NYT's piece on 'Crossfire Hurricane' had obvious input from an FBI person(s). It's a one-sided political hit job from my perspective, but it contains info we have not previously encountered -- that's why someone from the FBI contributed to it. This is the quote from the article that is the sore thumb:

"A national security letter (NSL) is an administrative subpoena issued by the United States government to gather information for national security purposes. NSLs do not require prior approval from a judge." (Wikipedia)

Anyone have experience with or knowledge of NSLs? What kind of info would they have obtained with NSLs? Or is this an attempt at a cover-up for illegal surveillance?
RoscoePColtrane

Quote:

National Security Letters (NSLs) are an extraordinary search procedure that gives the FBI the power to compel the disclosure of customer records held by banks, telephone companies, Internet Service Providers, and others. These entities are prohibited, or "gagged," from telling anyone about their receipt of the NSL, which makes oversight difficult. The Number of NSLs issued has grown dramatically since the Patriot Act expanded the FBI's authority to issue them.
Code 7 10-42
Reservoir Dog
coyote68 said:

It is hard to imagine where we would be if hildog had won.

What really intrigues me is... what would have happened if Hillary DID win the presidency and all of this nefarious activity against candidate Trump was discovered?!?

Can an election be nullified? Why should I feel compelled to pay my taxes to a government that was falsely elected?
sam callahan
The bad stuff is barely seeing the light of day now.

If Hilary had won, no way any of this would be uncovered.
drcrinum
RoscoePColtrane said:

Quote:

National Security Letters (NSLs) are an extraordinary search procedure that gives the FBI the power to compel the disclosure of customer records held by banks, telephone companies, Internet Service Providers, and others. These entities are prohibited, or "gagged," from telling anyone about their receipt of the NSL, which makes oversight difficult. The Number of NSLs issued has grown dramatically since the Patriot Act expanded the FBI's authority to issue them.

If there is no oversight or accountability, it seems to me there is great potential for misuse. But then I guess it's not much different than the illegal surveillance those unsupervised private contractors were performing outside the realm of NSA oversight.
AMF 2 AMC
AG
You weren't kidding. That TCTH article was a good read. I'm not even a small-time pizza lawyer, but the explanation of the review explains a lot of the actions on both sides.

In my opinion, it explains why Sessions has been quiet (besides his recusal), but that he was moving quietly by adding Huber.

Also, the change in spin in the media reeks of damage control. That article explains why and why now.

The article also paints a picture of two different approaches: one side is steady and consistent with law and policy, while the other is scrambling for any kind of traction. The MSM spin implies that, even at this stage, someone is acting contrary to their NDA. Seems desperate.
RoscoePColtrane
Looks like it has been challenged in court on constitutionality a few times. A case was filed in the Northern District of California and was decided on March 14, 2013. Judge Illston's opinion held that the nondisclosure provisions burdened speech beyond that allowable in the Constitutionbecause the government could not show that a blanket prohibition on disclosure of receipt of a National Security Letter furthered the government's interest in national security, the provisions were not sufficiently narrowly tailored. Judge Illston additionally held that the standards of review in the National Security statute impermissibly limited a court's ability to review nondisclosure orders. On May 6, 2013, attorneys for the Department of Justice, Attorney General, and FBI appealed the court's order. The case is In re Nat'l Sec. Letter, 930 F. Supp. 2d 1064.

The ACLU has challenged the gag order part of it in two cases, Doe v. Ashcroft and Doe v. Gonzales. In both cases, the judges ruled that the gag orders were unconstitutional on both 4th and 1st Amendment grounds. The Patriot Reauthorization Act of 2005 modified some of the gag order provisions. An NSL recipient may now disclose the fact that they received an NSL in connection with seeking legal advice or complying with the NSL. NSL recipients were also given the ability to challenge, in federal court, compliance with the NSL and the gag order provisions. Additionally, the government was given the ability to seek judicial enforcement of NSLs in non-compliance situations. Also, under the Patriot Reauthorization Act of 2005, the Department of Justice OIG is required to review "the effectiveness and use, including any improper or illegal use, of national security letters issued by the Department of Justice." The FBI is required to report to Congress on the number of NSLs issued. It's the OIG's job to assure they remain in compliance.

http://www.abajournal.com/magazine/article/national_security_letters_building_blocks_for_investigations_or_intrusive_t/

In 2014 the OIG found that the FBI database significantly understates the number of NSL requests issued, and that Congress has been misinformed about the scale of the usage of the NSL authority. The report further stated that violations are supposed to be self-reported by the FBI to the Intelligence Oversight Board. During the 3-year period in question, the FBI self-reported 26 violations out of the 140,000 NSLs issued. The OIG, however, found 22 potential violations out of the sample of 293 NSLs it reviewed. The OIG has stated that there is no indication that the 293 NSLs it reviewed are not representative of all of the NSLs issued, thus indicating that the FBI is failing to self-report a very significant number of violations.

https://fas.org/irp/congress/2010_hr/exigent.pdf

The OIG also found over 700 "exigent letters," which are not authorized by statute and some of which appear to have been issued when no exigency or emergency existed. These letters requested records from telephone companies and promised that proper subpoenas had been submitted or would follow. However the OIG found no confirmation that subpoenas, NSLs, or other proper process did follow or had in fact been submitted.

https://oig.justice.gov/reports/2014/s1408.pdf

In response to the OIG report, FBI Director Robert Mueller testified before the Senate Judiciary Committee on March 27, 2007. In his opening statement, Committee Chairman Patrick Leahy stated that the FBI's "pattern of abuse of authority and mismanagement causes me and many others on both sides of the aisle to wonder whether the FBI and Department of Justice have been faithful trustees of the great trust that the Congress and American people have placed in them to keep our nation safe while respecting the privacy rights and civil liberties of all Americans." Senator Arlen Specter, the ranking Republican member on the committee, stated that "the question is emerging as to whether the FBI is up to the enormous task that we have asked it to perform," pointing out that "every time we turn around, there is another, very serious, failure on the part of the bureau."

https://oig.justice.gov/special/s0703b/final.pdf

The FBI's authority to issue NSLs dates back to 1986, when an amendment to the Right to Financial Privacy Act was passed permitting the FBI to obtain financial records in foreign counterintelligence cases. Since then, Congress has enacted a number of laws authorizing the FBI to obtain, without judicial oversight, certain types of information in terrorism, espionage, and classified information leak investigations. Among these laws are four statutory provisions that authorize the FBI to use NSLs to obtain customer transactional information from communications companies, financial institutions, and consumer credit agencies.

https://www.justice.gov/archive/ll/highlights.htm

Quote:

The Patriot Act expanded these four existing statutes, and added a fifth NSL authority. The five sources of the FBI's NSL power are:

• The Right to Financial Privacy Act (RFPA), 12 U.S.C. 3414. As originally enacted in 1978, the RFPA required that before a disclosure of personal financial information was made to law enforcement, government agencies must have provided individuals with advance notice and have given the individual an opportunity to challenge the request. A 1986 amendment to the RFPA created an exception to this advance notice requirement by authorizing the FBI to obtain financial records in foreign counterintelligence cases in cases where the agency had "specific and articulable facts giving reason to believe that the customer or entity whose records are sought is a foreign power or an agent of a foreign power." These requirements were changed upon enactment of the Patriot Act; the FBI may now obtain financial records if the information is sought for foreign counterintelligence purposes, as long as the investigation is not based on conduct protected by the First Amendment. Congress again amended the RFPA in 2003 to expand the definition of "financial institutions" to which NSLs could be issued. The statute now covers large casinos, insurance companies, automobile dealerships, credit unions, real estate companies, and travel agencies.
  • The Electronic Communications Privacy Act (ECPA), 18 U.S.C. 2709. The ECPA allows the FBI to obtain telephone and e-mail information by issuing a NSL. This includes historical information on telephone calls made and received from a specified number, and billing records associated with a number. It also includes e-mails, screen names, and billing records for electronic communication services. Lastly, it includes subscriber information associated with an individual's phone or e-mail account.
  • The Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), 15 U.S.C. 1681u. The FCRA, as amended in 1996, authorizes the FBI to issue NSLs to obtain a consumer's credit history information, including the names and addresses of all financial institutions at which the consumer maintains or has maintained an account. The FBI may also request a consumer's identifying information, limited to name, address, former addresses, and both current and past employers.
  • Patriot Act amendment to the Fair Credit Reporting Act, 15 U.S.C. 1681v. This new national security letter authority authorizes the FBI (and any government agency authorized to conduct international terrorism investigations) to obtain a consumer's full credit report and "all other" information in a consumer's file for international terrorism investigations.
  • The National Security Act, 50 U.S.C. 436. The National Security Act, amended to include NSL authority after the 1994 espionage investigation of former CIA employee Aldrich Ames, authorizes NSLs to be issued in association with investigations of improper disclosure of classified information by government employees. This authority is rarely used by the FBI. The NSLs can cover financial records and information, including consumer reports.

https://epic.org/privacy/ecpa/EPIC-16-04-14-DOJ-FOIA-20170905-Production.pdf

https://fas.org/sgp/crs/intel/RS22406.pdf

http://www.lawschool.cornell.edu/research/cornell-law-review/upload/Nieland.pdf

https://fas.org/sgp/crs/natsec/RL32880.pdf

https://epic.org/privacy/terrorism/usapatriot/foia/iob.pdf

Code 7 10-42
First Page Last Page
Page 368 of 1408

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.