Mueller dismisses top FBI agent in Russia probe for anti-Trump texts

7,491,804 Views | 49269 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by aggiehawg
RoscoePColtrane
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Honest question, does Cohen have any other clients? Trump is likely a full time gig.
Never take a hostage you aren't willing to shoot,
Remember, America doesn’t negotiate with terrorists.
Code 7 10-42
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
I've seen mention that he was actually in-house at the Trump organization. Whatever the arrangement, you may be right that he only has one client. Whether he's an employee or outside counsel is unknown to me.
Patentmike
AG
blindey said:

Follow up thought -- one of the following has to be right:

(1) Cohen really is a moron who thought he operated in a vacuum or wasn't being watched;
(2) Cohen was smart, had files he knew he needed to get rid of, and wasn't finished when Mueller got word;
(3) Cohen was smart, had files he knew he needed to get rid of, and was finished when Mueller got word; or
(4) Cohen isn't as dirty as the Democrats want anyone to believe. In this case, Mueller's team is looking for lawyer ethics stuff like impermissible co-mingling of client funds or failure to keep certain records for statutory minimums. The sort of stuff that you'd never need to conduct a no-knock raid to get.

At any rate, if Mueller wanted files from Cohen, the correct process would have been to issue a subpoena and await responses. Mueller either thought there was something going on with Cohen or bought faulty intel.
There is a question floating around that I find interesting, "why isn't Stormy Daniels being investigated for extortion?"

So how about, (5) the NDA went both ways and the subpoena to which he responded didn't cover key documents/threats Trump received from Stormy. The no knock raid is the best way, under the circumstances, to get those documents into a republican US Attorney's hands.

BTW, I don't really think that's true, but worth keeping alive until the story clarifies.
PatentMike, J.D.
BS Biochem
MS Molecular Virology

aggiehawg
AG
RoscoePColtrane said:

Honest question, does Cohen have any other clients? Trump is likely a full time gig.
Seems counter-intuitive that he would have one outside office and one in Trump Tower if he didn't have other clients, in Manhattan with Manhattan sized rental prices.

But I'm cheap.
Rapier108
Cohen's lawyer said yesterday they took files of "all of his clients" so that seems to say he has more than one. Trump is just his biggest.
whatthehey78
AG
Lady, yes. Cheap...a resounding NO!
Alexander, Caesar, Charlemagne, and myself founded empires; but upon what foundation did we rest the creations of our genius? Upon force! But Jesus Christ founded His upon love; and at this hour millions of men would die for Him. - Napoleon Bonaparte
aggiehawg
AG
whatthehey78 said:

Lady, yes. Cheap...a resounding NO!
Perhaps I should have said "frugal."

LOL.
RoscoePColtrane
When Mueller handed this off to the SDNY office does this go to Geoffrey Berman, the guy that replaced Preet Bharara, even though he's still unconfirmed by congress, or would it fall to one of the others?

Just seems sketchy that a guy Trump just appointed would have signed off on this raid.
Code 7 10-42
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Michael Barnhart said:

blindey said:

Follow up thought -- one of the following has to be right:

(1) Cohen really is a moron who thought he operated in a vacuum or wasn't being watched;
(2) Cohen was smart, had files he knew he needed to get rid of, and wasn't finished when Mueller got word;
(3) Cohen was smart, had files he knew he needed to get rid of, and was finished when Mueller got word; or
(4) Cohen isn't as dirty as the Democrats want anyone to believe. In this case, Mueller's team is looking for lawyer ethics stuff like impermissible co-mingling of client funds or failure to keep certain records for statutory minimums. The sort of stuff that you'd never need to conduct a no-knock raid to get.

At any rate, if Mueller wanted files from Cohen, the correct process would have been to issue a subpoena and await responses. Mueller either thought there was something going on with Cohen or bought faulty intel.
There is a question floating around that I find interesting, "why isn't Stormy Daniels being investigated for extortion?"

So how about, (5) the NDA went both ways and the subpoena to which he responded didn't cover key documents/threats Trump received from Stormy. The no knock raid is the best way, under the circumstances, to get those documents into a republican US Attorney's hands.

BTW, I don't really think that's true, but worth keeping alive until the story clarifies.

I've always seen the Stormy thing as a marginal issue. It's in the news because it sells to viewers but the actual legal and political ramifications are over-hyped in the big picture.

Interesting thought on getting the documents into a Republican US Attorney. Not something I had considered yet. If this is being run at the direction of a Trump-appointee US Attorney (and maybe some career AUSAs) then the angle may be just a little different.
RoscoePColtrane
See my question above
Code 7 10-42
aggiehawg
AG
I am still having trouble justifying why this went through Rosenstein and not Sessions. The only reason I can come up with is that Mueller found something on Cohen that was Russia/campaign related and thus covered by Sessions' recusal. But then why would Mueller outsource it to the SDNY?

Sure, Mueller isn't supposed to have contact with Sessions but that doesn't mean Rosenstein can't. Mueller tells Rosenstein, "Hey, I found this on Cohen." Rosenstein determines it is or is not related to Mueller's jurisdiction. If not, then Rosenstein takes it to Sessions. And Sessions makes the referral.

To use Joe Biden's words, "This is a big f***ing deal!" deciding to go after POTUS's personal attorney. Only the highest levels at DOJ can make that call.

Finally, how did Mueller come into possession of said information? (I'm still uneasy about his access to info collected under the Page FISA warrant. And his ethically questionable actions in the Flynn matter.)

Under the doctrine it is better to ask for forgiveness rather than permission, Mueller seemingly does not care one whit whether evidence will be admissible in any future criminal proceeding. He seems more intent on politically damaging information, embarrassing information and manufacturing some potential impeachment material. Poo flinging monkey, comes to mind.

It certainly doesn't have the appearance of a serious even-handed investigation. It's an all out brawl.
B2Ag05
AG
Sessions recused himself from investigations into anything dealing with the election, right? And the raid was ostensibly about FEC issues? Wouldn't that be the reason Sessions is beyond arms-length?
leftcoastaggie
AG
aggiehawg said:

But then why would Mueller outsource it to the SDNY?

Because if Trump fires Mueller then the SDNY can continue the investigation.
aggiehawg
AG
B2Ag05 said:

Sessions reused himself from investigations into anything dealing with the election, right? And the raid was ostensibly about FEC issues? Wouldn't that be the reason Sessions is beyond arms-length?
Tenuous at best, closer to frivolous, as it pertains to Stormy Daniels. Now if the Russians paid off Stormy, that's different. No one is alleging that.

And you may have noted Rosenstein's heretofore secret memo to Mueller enlarging his jurisdiction to go after Manafort included redacted material but in context suggests FEC issues.

So again, why the outsourcing if it wasn't necessary?

Just puzzling to me.
aggiehawg
AG
leftcoastaggie said:

aggiehawg said:

Then Trump pardons Cohen. Investigation over. Checkmate.
Rapier108
B2Ag05 said:

Sessions reused himself from investigations into anything dealing with the election, right? And the raid was ostensibly about FEC issues? Wouldn't that be the reason Sessions is beyond arms-length?
Sessions has pretty much recused himself from doing his job, period. Only thing he seems interested in is weed.
leftcoastaggie
AG
aggiehawg said:

leftcoastaggie said:

aggiehawg said:

Pardon him for what?
geoag58
AG
leftcoastaggie said:

aggiehawg said:

leftcoastaggie said:

aggiehawg said:

Pardon him for what?

What, you don't like it when the right starts playing by the same rules that the left has been using.......for-ever?
Fight against the dictatorship of the federal bureaucracy!
aggiehawg
AG
leftcoastaggie said:

aggiehawg said:

leftcoastaggie said:

aggiehawg said:

Pardon him for what?
FEC violation?? Hell, if I know.
leftcoastaggie
AG
geoag58 said:

leftcoastaggie said:

aggiehawg said:

leftcoastaggie said:

aggiehawg said:

Pardon him for what?

What, you don't like it when the right starts playing by the same rules that the left has been using.......for-ever?
No. I just wasn't aware that the president could pardon someone who wasn't convicted of a crime. How does that work?
aggiehawg
AG
leftcoastaggie said:

geoag58 said:

leftcoastaggie said:

aggiehawg said:

leftcoastaggie said:

aggiehawg said:

Pardon him for what?

No. I just wasn't aware that the president could pardon someone who wasn't convicted of a crime. How does that work?
See Ford's pardon of Nixon.
MooreTrucker
AG
leftcoastaggie said:

aggiehawg said:

leftcoastaggie said:

aggiehawg said:

Pardon him for what?
Whatever charge they gen up for him after this raid.
leftcoastaggie
AG
aggiehawg said:

leftcoastaggie said:

aggiehawg said:

leftcoastaggie said:

aggiehawg said:

Pardon him for what?
Wouldn't there nee to be a conviction in order for there to be a pardon? So how does Trump end SDNY's investigation?
aggiehawg
AG
leftcoastaggie said:

aggiehawg said:

leftcoastaggie said:

aggiehawg said:

leftcoastaggie said:

aggiehawg said:

Pardon him for what?
Wouldn't there nee to be a conviction in order for there to be a pardon? So how does Trump end SDNY's investigation?
NO!!!!
leftcoastaggie
AG
aggiehawg said:

leftcoastaggie said:

aggiehawg said:

leftcoastaggie said:

aggiehawg said:

leftcoastaggie said:

aggiehawg said:

Pardon him for what?
NO!!!!
You're right. I looked it up. Doesn't happen that often though.
aggiehawg
AG
leftcoastaggie said:

aggiehawg said:

leftcoastaggie said:

aggiehawg said:

leftcoastaggie said:

aggiehawg said:

leftcoastaggie said:

aggiehawg said:

Pardon him for what?
NO!!!!
You're right. I looked it up. Doesn't happen that often though.
No it doesn't happen often during a President's term because of the political blow back. It normally happens at the end of a Presidential term. Bush 41 kneecapped Lawrence Walsh's investigation on his way out of the door in 1992, pardoning Cap Weinberger and others. Sure Walsh was still Special Prosecutor but he had no one left to prosecute.
drcrinum

http://freebeacon.com/politics/grassley-supreme-court-vacancy-months-trump-firing-mueller-suicide/

The link is a 5 minute video interview with Grassley. Quite good.
fasthorse05
I've been thinking about your post, and the comment about where, and how, Mueller obtained his information on Cohen.

Supposedly, he obtained it from various interviews during his investigation. Rosenstein is so well connected, personally and politically, it wouldn't surprise me if he was getting information from his wife, as well as Obama and Clinton.

Beside the fact it's likely Brennan and Clapper still have shills in their respective agencies who probably deliver them information, and gleefully move it up the line.

You can't sneeze in DC without the snot landing on a Democrat!
Hate is how progressives sustain themselves. Without hate, introspection begins to slip into the progressive's consciousness, threatening the progressive with the truth: that their ideas and opinions are illogical, hypocritical, dangerous, and asinine.
This is backed by data.
drcrinum

Taxi medallions? Of course, this is a CNN story with anonymous sources.
whatthehey78
AG
fasthorses05 said:

I've been thinking about your post, and the comment about where, and how, Mueller obtained his information on Cohen.

Supposedly, he obtained it from various interviews during his investigation. Rosenstein is so well connected, personally and politically, it wouldn't surprise me if he was getting information from his wife, as well as Obama and Clinton.

Beside the fact it's likely Brennan and Clapper still have shills in their respective agencies who probably deliver them information, and gleefully move it up the line.

Likely a Badge of Honor worn with pride
Alexander, Caesar, Charlemagne, and myself founded empires; but upon what foundation did we rest the creations of our genius? Upon force! But Jesus Christ founded His upon love; and at this hour millions of men would die for Him. - Napoleon Bonaparte
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Not disputing that at all. My bigger fear is whether there are still active surveillance measures going on that neither Wray nor Sessions are aware of.

One thing is becoming increasingly clear, neither Wray nor Sessions are in charge of their respective departments. Only at a nominal level.
drcrinum
https://www.popehat.com/2018/04/09/the-search-of-trump-lawyer-michael-cohens-office-what-we-can-infer-immediately/

Interesting legal read.
jt2hunt
AG
What are taxi medallions?
aggiehawg
AG
drcrinum said:

https://www.popehat.com/2018/04/09/the-search-of-trump-lawyer-michael-cohens-office-what-we-can-infer-immediately/

Interesting legal read.
The assumption there is that someone from the SDNY signed the application for the warrant. There is other reportage that claims Rosenstein signed it. A fact, if true, would carry a bit more weight with the Magistrate, methinks.

So was this really "Rosenstein goes rogue"?? Or something else?
aggiehawg
AG
jt2hunt said:

What are taxi medallions?
Licenses to run a taxi business. (Taxis have long been monopolies.)
First Page Last Page
Page 259 of 1408

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.