Mueller dismisses top FBI agent in Russia probe for anti-Trump texts

7,446,047 Views | 49262 Replies | Last: 9 days ago by nortex97
aggiehawg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

Interesting, given Comey could himself be charged with felonies at the drop of a hat. They have him dead to rights on at least 1 or 2. He only skates if someone cuts him a deal..,
Hmm....
I'll go you one better. If Mueller has persuaded a judge to grant Comey immunity and done so secretly, Mueller becomes complicit in the cover-up of Comey's crimes. (That's a bit of an overstatement but the point is Mueller may have incriminated himself.)

There are several layers of chess being played here.

Comey has the blithe tweeting habits of an egomaniac who believes he's beyond reproach. He's an untouchable. (Or he's an egomaniacal idiot, equally plausible I guess.)

Mueller's aligning with and protection of Comey makes little sense from a legal standpoint at this point. Comey's credibility has been decimated. His use as a witness compromised, heavily compromised. His testimony doesn't support an immunity deal (not that it ever truly did.)

I don't have the first clue why, but Mueller seemingly keeps digging himself into a deeper hole. For a smart man, the question is why??

Baffling.
RoscoePColtrane
Never take a hostage you aren't willing to shoot,
Remember, America doesn’t negotiate with terrorists.
Code 7 10-42
drcrinum

(original source document):
http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/371929-gop-case-fbi-probe-based-on-tainted-evidence-linked-to-clinton

Quote:

...Republican investigators say they have evidence that Steele first approached the FBI with his allegations on July 5, 2016, the same day then-FBI Director James Comey announced he would not pursue criminal charges against Clinton for passing more than 100 classified documents through her private email server.

Republicans believe the date of Steele's approach to the FBI is evidence of politics, since his employer was being paid by a Clinton campaign that for months was angered by the bureau's probe of the email controversy.

Republican investigators say it is unclear exactly when the FBI learned that Steele was being paid by Clinton's campaign. But by late July 2016, just weeks after he first contacted the FBI, the formal counterintelligence probe was opened, the sources said.

I am beginning to see why Grassley is focusing his investigation on Steele. I am even beginning to wonder if the FBI didn't approach Steele rather than the other way around...sure, Steele had ties to the FBI from his previous work, but remember...Fusion GPS had ties to the WH (Mary Jacoby's visit in April 2016), the DOJ (Bruce & Nellie Ohr), and there is that business about 'contractors' running 702 Queries at the FBI in April 2016.

RoscoePColtrane
Code 7 10-42
oysterbayAG
AG
The big question I have at this point is : When the Congressional Committees send their Criminal Referrals to the DOJ, who at the DOJ will have the Balls to launch an investigation for prosecution ?
Prosperdick
AG
I'd love to know what was recovered from the Awan brothers...I wonder if we'll have to wait for the OIG report to learn if it was anything of value.
FriscoKid
AG
Any chance Clinton threatened Comey and said they would leak this dossier stuff if he didn't clear her on the e-mails?
Hillary paid for warrant to spy on Trump.
bmks270
AG
FriscoKid said:

Any chance Clinton threatened Comey and said they would leak this dossier stuff if he didn't clear her on the e-mails?

Fear of retribution could be a factor in that investigation.

Prosperdick
AG
FriscoKid said:

Doubtful as it implicates her as well...
aggiehawg
AG
FriscoKid said:

And that was passed on via the Loretta/Bill tango on the tarmac?? Interesting but not sure the timing matches up. We'll see, I guess.
benchmark
AG
aggiehawg said:

I don't have the first clue why, but Mueller seemingly keeps digging himself into a deeper hole. For a smart man, the question is why??
Instinct and predisposition. Law enforcement always tends to favor their own ... band of brothers analogy.
MouthBQ98
AG
I can promise you any threat over crossing the Clintons is implicit. Need never be said.
sam callahan
You aren't going to learn anything from the OIG report.

I'm not sure why anyone has any faith in it.

The government isn't in the business of ratting itself out.
Reservoir Dog
Tailgate88 said:

drcrinum said:

FriscoKid said:

HeardAboutPerio said:

Rapier108 said:

1:08 mark about Rosenstein

Holy **** if true that rosenstein threatened intelligence committee members he would subpoena their text messages and emails because he was tired of their investigation.

Well, that's a huge nugget!

Now another source has come forward.

Rosenstein needs to be fired.

He needs to be perp-walked...
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
The reality of the matter is hiding in plain sight. The reason that the media and so many democrats are running interference and doing anything not to acknowledge the truth of what happened is because that would mean admitting that their morally "good" or "right" political worldview is tainted by the fact that it is willing to behave criminally to push their "correct" views at any cost.

Cognitive dissonance is a hell of a drug and the democrats and their sycophants have no choice but to massively OD. Enjoy the show.
fasthorse05
sam callahan said:

its certainly possible.

There's a big tide rising against Trump, and it may take him down. Some aren't even veiled. We seem to be getting to the point where breaking the law is not just accepted, but encouraged.

The only reason I agree with you is the past. I've wondered why the left is throwing such a fit, knowing that there is hard, cold, evidence showing the exact opposite. The PR side of the Republicans historically has F'ed up everything they've ever touched, so it's certainly possible.

I guess I'll just have to have faith in my country. because the left only has faith in themselves, and not anyone else.
benchmark
AG
blindey said:

The reason that the media and so many democrats are running interference and doing anything not to acknowledge the truth of what happened is because .....
.... anything that threatens Mueller destroys their only remaining hope of impeaching Trump.

IMO
drcrinum

Yup. It's a press scandal too. Just wait...somewhere down the road, the payees in the Fusion GPS bank records are going to be exposed. Perhaps they aren't true Mockingbirds, but they are second & third generation offspring of said Project.
RoscoePColtrane
sam callahan said:

Obviously you don't know much history on Horowitz and how Barry and company tried to backstab him.

If he's a homer as you say, why did Sally Yates change the rules restricting him from looking into the and the National Security Arm if the DOJ while Barry was still holding the reigns. One of the first things Sessions did before recusing himself was life the restriction in the OIG and turned him loose to pursue his investigation.

https://www.ignet.gov/sites/default/files/files/OLC%20IG%20Act%20Opinion%20-%207-20-15%20.pdf
Code 7 10-42
drcrinum

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/959938176893714432.html

Quote:

...So by the time the FBI goes to the FISA Court and gets this warrant approved by the judge using the Steele dossiers allegations about Carter Page....

he'd left the Trump campaign THIRTY DAYS earlier....

Very short thread on threadreader. Everybody seems to have overlooked the fact that Carter Page 'disassociated' himself (departed) from the Trump Campaign following the Isikoff article that was published on September 23, 2016. The FISA Warrant wasn't approved for another month...so what was there to surveil? How could they even justify renewing it (x3) when there was no activity to surveil? More rot...
aggiehawg
AG
benchmark said:

aggiehawg said:

Instinct and predisposition. Law enforcement always tends to favor their own ... band of brothers analogy.
That works for awhile.

Comey was dirty. He lied repeatedly to Congress, the Gang of Eight and likely President-elect and then President Trump.

I'm going to circle back around to something that has always bothered me about Comey, other than the Hillary crappola.

That's the January 6th, 2017 meeting with President-elect Trump at Trump Tower. At that point, no one outside of the FBI (maybe even DNI Clapper) knew about the Russia investigation. Comey knows that all of the Russia interfering investigation is centered on getting Trump, yet he lies about that to Trump and tells him he is not the subject of Comey's investigation. (there's the first red flag.) He's not telling the President-elect that he is actively investigating him personally, to maintain access to entrap Trump. That was the only point of the later Comey "memos" ...entrapment.

And if you think I'm crazy, riddle me this: How legal is it to lie to Joe Schmo for purposes of entrapment in contravention of the 4th and 5th amendments, not to mention Miranda rights??

And ironically, that might be the saving grace for Trump here. Comey was trying to entrap him and the memos prove that.
whatthehey78
AG
drcrinum said:

Quote:

...So by the time the FBI goes to the FISA Court and gets this warrant approved by the judge using the Steele dossiers allegations about Carter Page....

Very short thread on threadreader. Everybody seems to have overlooked the fact that Carter Page 'disassociated' himself (departed) from the Trump Campaign following the Isikoff article that was published on September 23, 2016. The FISA Warrant wasn't approved for another month...so what was there to surveil? How could they even justify renewing it (x3) when there was no activity to surveil? More rot...

Seems to implicate the FISC Judge(s) as well. I've thought he/she/they were complicit all along. Thoughts?
drcrinum
whatthehey78 said:

Seems to implicate the FISC Judge(s) as well. I've thought he/she/they were complicit all along. Thoughts?
I believe that is why they went 'judge shopping' and found a different FISA judge for each renewal, so they could spin the same tale again...and again.
Ellis Wyatt
I agree 100%. Obama's federal judicial appointees have proven they will carry out his will, laws be damned.
RoscoePColtrane
whatthehey78 said:

drcrinum said:

Quote:

Seems actually that the report that 4 different judges being used seem absolutely deliberate.
Code 7 10-42
drcrinum
aggiehawg said:

benchmark said:

aggiehawg said:

That works for awhile.

Comey was dirty. He lied repeatedly to Congress, the Gang of Eight and likely President-elect and then President Trump.

I'm going to circle back around to something that has always bothered me about Comey, other than the Hillary crappola.

That's the January 6th, 2017 meeting with President-elect Trump at Trump Tower. At that point, no one outside of the FBI (maybe even DNI Clapper) knew about the Russia investigation. Comey knows that all of the Russia interfering investigation is centered on getting Trump, yet he lies about that to Trump and tells him he is not the subject of Comey's investigation. (there's the first red flag.) He's not telling the President-elect that he is actively investigating him personally, to maintain access to entrap Trump. That was the only point of the later Comey "memos" ...entrapment.

And if you think I'm crazy, riddle me this: How legal is it to lie to Joe Schmo for purposes of entrapment in contravention of the 4th and 5th amendments, not to mention Miranda rights??

And ironically, that might be the saving grace for Trump here. Comey was trying to entrap him and the memos prove that.
You have a very valid agrument IMO.

One point: There were people in the DOJ who knew about the Russian investigation: Bruce Ohr for certain, as would his immediate supervisor, Sally Yates. Don't forget, Sally Yates was speaking to the WH Legal Counsel about Flynn in January 2017.

I had considered the possibility that Comey's memos were written as a form of 'insurance policy', knowing that he had authorized the illegal surveillance of the Trump Team, and he was using the counter argument that he didn't trust Trump because he lied.
fasthorse05
Same topic, different direction.

I've never understood why any President would fire an SC, or an FBI director. First of all, the information gathered will still be available to the next appointee, and secondly, another person will stip up, and continue the "crusade". I know Nixon did it, and the ONLY reason I could think of Trump doing it is because he would be trying to buy time, like the Dems are doing.

I now believe, courtesy of our insightful posters, that Comey is damned dirty, and Mr. Integrity--Bob Mueller, appears to be a vengeful soul in order to protect his bestie. I honestly don't understand how anyone can get obstruction out of the Comey firing, but it's coming.

So, what benefit would firing do for a President?
bmks270
AG
aggiehawg said:

benchmark said:

aggiehawg said:

That works for awhile.

Trump himself was not being investigated.... I don't think Comey was lieing here (being illegally spied on aside). But Comey and friends did go out of their way to make it appear as if he was being investigated in the media, but then telling him they weren't in person. Of course Trump was pissed, he could see plainly the games they playing and the smear they were perpetuating in the media. Comey's congressional testimony is also that Trump was not under investigation.

There may be a valid investigation or monitoring of the actions of Russians trying to get cozy with Trump people, like in the case of Papadopoulos, but that is different than investigating Trump.

I think it may be that there was this Papadopoulos / Russian relationship and the FBI used that as a pretext to illegally expand their scope and monitor Trumps team for political reasons. It gave them this idea of let's spy on the whole team using the dossier. Okay, so now the FBI decides they want to expand their surveillance and cast a larger net (for political reasons). How can they get a warrant to cast the net they want to cast? Who with links to Trump is the easiest target? Carter Page.... and then how convenient for the FBI is it that their long time friend just happens to have compiled this dossier naming Trump and Carter Page in Russia doing bad things (convenient right).

I'm open to the Mueller investigation having some legitimacy into being concerned with Russias attempts to get close to Trump or hack the DNC if the reported Papadopoulos / Russia interactions and origin of Papadopoulos FISA is true. But if Trump is that target of inquiry as opposed to Russians then it's a complete farce.

That being said, misleading the FISA courts with falsified evidence is completely unacceptable. FBI was clearly abusing their power.
FriscoKid
AG
Timeline?

Was Page still on the campaign team when the warrant was issued? Another thread said no.
Hillary paid for warrant to spy on Trump.
EKUAg
AG
FriscoKid said:

Timeline?

Was Page still on the campaign team when the warrant was issued? Another thread said no.

He was not. Left campaign in Sep 16.
FbgTxAg
AG
FriscoKid said:

Timeline?

No. He was gone a month before the FISA on him was granted. But they damn sure listened in on more folks than Carter Page - who was no longer part of the campaign at all.
The greatest argument ever made against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter.
policywonk98
AG
RoscoePColtrane said:

Interesting. Thanks for posting.

The fact that voters were already growing suspicious of the russian investigation back at the beginning of December was something I had not realized.

I would imagine the trendline Penn talks about has not reversed since then.

I read Mark Penn's Microtrends book when it first came out back in 2007. Sounds like he is coming out with an updated version or sequel to that book, called Microtrends Squared. I would recommend reading it. The insights he provided on trend and trend analysis in the first book was really fascinating.
Finn
AG
Is the rule you have to show a crime to get an extension for FISA? If so, how do you get 3 extension let it expire and have no charges?
RoscoePColtrane
Have no fear Uncle Grassley is here. Regardless of what the liberal judge decided the Memos are in the right hands as well.

Code 7 10-42
drcrinum
bmks270 said:

aggiehawg said:

benchmark said:

aggiehawg said:

Trump himself was not being investigated.... I don't think Comey was lieing here (being illegally spied on aside). But Comey and friends did go out of their way to make it appear as if he was being investigated in the media, but then telling him they weren't in person. Of course Trump was pissed, he could see plainly the games they playing and the smear they were perpetuating in the media. Comey's congressional testimony is also that Trump was not under investigation.

There may be a valid investigation or monitoring of the actions of Russians trying to get cozy with Trump people, like in the case of Papadopoulos, but that is different than investigating Trump.

I think it may be that there was this Papadopoulos / Russian relationship and the FBI used that as a pretext to illegally expand their scope and monitor Trumps team for political reasons. It gave them this idea of let's spy on the whole team using the dossier. Okay, so now the FBI decides they want to expand their surveillance and cast a larger net (for political reasons). How can they get a warrant to cast the net they want to cast? Who with links to Trump is the easiest target? Carter Page.... and then how convenient for the FBI is it that their long time friend just happens to have compiled this dossier naming Trump and Carter Page in Russia doing bad things (convenient right).

I'm open to the Mueller investigation having some legitimacy into being concerned with Russias attempts to get close to Trump or hack the DNC if the reported Papadopoulos / Russia interactions and origin of Papadopoulos FISA is true. But if Trump is that target of inquiry as opposed to Russians then it's a complete farce.

That being said, misleading the FISA courts with falsified evidence is completely unacceptable. FBI was clearly abusing their power.

But the rot predates all of this. We know they were performing illegal 702 Queries going way back, who knows how far, even allowing private contractors (likely Fusion GPS & CrowdStrike) to perform them...Adm. Rogers shut that down in April 2016. That was disclosed in the declassified FISA Court document (the MSM is clueless about this document). We assume they were performing opposition political research on all the major Repub candidates -- clearly illegal -- they were already on the slippery slope. But April 2016 was the pivotal month. This is when a new plan had to be formulated to obtain dirt on the opposition, likely to be Trump, but the plan was devised in the atmosphere that Hillary was a certain winner, and whatever they did, they would not be held accountable. In April, Fusion also acquired a new backer for funding, the DNC/HRC, Mary Jacoby visited the WH, and a new course was set, involving a group of long time friends. During the ensuing month, Steele was contracted (an anti-Trumper), Nellie Ohr was hired, & the Dossier begun. On June 9, 2016, the infamous Trump Tower Meeting occurred, most likely set up by Fusion GPS. In early July Steele had made formal contact with the FBI, and the FBI initiated a formal but secret investigation in late July, clearly nefarious at this point...remember, they didn't inform Congressional Committees until well into 2017. Congress was briefed about Carter Page in late summer, a person previously investigated over possible Russian dealings in 2012-13, & culminating in the FISA Warrant in October. Manafort was another person of interest, appearing in the dossier as well, and he previously was a subject of a FISA Warrant, but he resigned from the Campaign in august after his Ukrainian ties were exposed.

The stuff about Papaopoulos is misleading. He did not come to the attention of the FBI until late July, but they never sought a FISA Warrant on him, and the FBI did not even interview him until 2017. He was a nobody.
First Page Last Page
Page 144 of 1408

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.