Shooting in Las Vegas

883,727 Views | 4892 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BMX Bandit
Ed Carter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Dammit I don't know how to quit this thread
who?mikejones
AG
Looking at Google maps, there are some tanks but they are a long way from the hotel
Rapier108
who?mikejones said:

Looks at Google maps, there are some tanks but they are a long way from the hotel
Yeah, I was editing my previous post to say that.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
Tom Doniphon
the windows he was shooting from faced LV boulevard with McCarran basically to his back... no? he would've had a shooting lane to the airport from those windows? (honest questions)
Blahhead
Rapier108 said:

Blahhead said:

Fox is saying he shot at fuel tanks located at Mccarran, but even though they were hit multiple, they didn't explode.
Fuel tanks at airports are underground.

That said, shooting tanks with jet fuel is highly unlikely to cause an explosion or even an ignition. Jet fuel is formulated to be difficult to ignite and unless aerosolized, virtually impossible to detonate.

Now, if you had incendiary rounds it might start a fire.

Edit: On Google Earth there are two tanks visible above ground within his line of fire. Now, whether he was actually targeting them or it was simply stray rounds is the question.

Nah, not all fuel farms are underground. They may have the main fuel pit underground and some piping underground, but that's not always the case. RIC, CLE, etc. all have large above ground tanks. I've been to LAS many times, but I am not 100% sure on the situation, but I am pretty sure they have smaller above ground tanks in addition to anything underground they might have. I am even more sure since the media said the above ground tanks were shot at.
Charpie
AG
I think you are correct. Or off to the extreme right
Olag00
AG
There were a few shots before he started emptying the clips. Those may have been the tank shots. Start with a bang then start spraying.
BPCAg05
AG
I'm guessing he was just spraying and not necessarily trying to blow up tanks
Rapier108
Tom Doniphon said:

the windows he was shooting from faced LV boulevard with McCarran basically to his back... no? he would've had a shooting lane to the airport from those windows? (honest questions)
If you look on Google Earth, he would of have a line of sight at McCarran.

The fuel tanks look to be for the corporate jet facility, not the commercial terminal.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
dmart90
AG
LOL! Mythbusters did an episode on James Bond stuff and busted the "I'll shoot a tank and watch it explode" myth years ago.
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
They also did the Jaws test where they shot at an oxygen tank and it did not explode.
Blahhead
Rapier108 said:

Tom Doniphon said:

If you look on Google Earth, he would of have a line of sight at McCarran.

The fuel tanks look to be for the corporate jet facility, not the commercial terminal.

I was going to add that they are probably for the private jets.
BPCAg05
AG
I would only believe he was purposely trying to hit the tanks as well as people is if the tanks were only easily visible out of one of the two windows and then I would guess that's why he wanted two different vantage points. If not hen I think he was just spraying his shots and happened to hit the tanks
Rapier108
dmart90 said:

LOL! Mythbusters did an episode on James Bond stuff and busted the "I'll shoot a tank and watch it explode" myth years ago.
Kari Byron was looking hot in that episode.

They did penetrate the tank (propane cylinder, not a massive above ground tank), but they were shooting from very close range. Still didn't go boom until the very end with specialized ammo.
WestTexAg12
AG
WestAustinAg said:

Fox News just said the shooter was actually shooting at aviation fuel tanks that were near the concert venue (which is across the street from the airport I believe). If he hits those he creates a massive bomb.

Wow.

Haha. Being a guy that tried this with propane tanks and metal gas cans, it doesn't work. At all. I was thoroughly disappointed.
Mr_mo8268
AG
Convenient time to release breaking news about "lone wolf" shooter shooting at fuel tanks trying to cause a mass bomb. Especially after a bad press conference where the FBI and police were obviously not in sync and the narrative is getting more difficult to believe.
TexasAggie_02
AG
would tracers have ignited them?
OnlyForNow
AG
Coat 1lb propane tank in sterno, light on fire, back up a few hundred yards shoot with high powered rifle, get ready for fireball.
Tom Doniphon
Rapier108 said:

dmart90 said:

Kari Byron was looking hot in that episode.

They did penetrate the tank (propane cylinder, not a massive above ground tank), but they were shooting from very close range. Still didn't go boom until the very end with specialized ammo.

I've shot a small propane tank with a 308 before and that b-stard sure went "boom"... made a helluva hole in the tank dam i was shooting into and sent the damn thing 100 feet into the air...
BadMoonRisin
AG
Olag00 said:

There were a few shots before he started emptying the clips. Those may have been the tank shots. Start with a bang then start spraying.

And the explosion behind the venue would funnel people out the exit directly toward his position.

Edit. The entrance to the concert grounds is the little gate at the intersection of Giles and the strip in the pic below. It must only be 20 or 30 feet wide, so people would be bottlenecked into a killzone if they saw an explosion and decided to exit.
Ag In Ok
AG
Or ease his escape.
Rapier108
If he was shooting at the tanks on purpose, it explains the two broken windows as the one to the left (when looking up at the building) gives a clear line of sight to the tanks, while the window on the right gives a good vantage at the concert.

One has to wonder why he didn't get a .50 caliber rifle if he really was serious about trying to puncture the tanks and set them off. Perhaps it was a last minute idea he had, if he actually was trying to do that.
WestAustinAg
AG
I'm confused. Was the concert parking lot venue not on same side of Mandalay Bay as airport?
Premium
AG
He should have pulled a fire alarm on a different floor so everyone in nearby rooms couldn't hear him.
Rapier108
WestAustinAg said:

I'm confused. Was the concert parking lot venue not on same side of Mandalay Bay as airport?
who?mikejones
AG
WestAustinAg said:

The Debt
The mythbusters settled it as plausible if there was a fire or incendiary round....considering the dude was found with tannerite shoot the tannerite near the tank.
n_touch
Have they said where his car was?
TCSD84
TAMUallen said:

Wow. Confirmed there was something indicating that shooter had plans for escape but can't comment
Maybe the crazy bought a plane ticket? Or they found notes?
WestAustinAg
AG
What's the latest on 4chan?
rainbow_aggie
WestAustinAg said:

Not sure.
Rapier108
WestAustinAg said:

Probably still trying to convince everyone that the reflecting strobe light from the lower floor was another gunman.
BlueMiles
AG
I was listening to the scanner traffic the night of the event. There was a guy that came out to check on the fuel tanks, to see if they had been hit and to check for leaks. I believe he was turned away at first, but they finally let him in.

By the way, thanks for you all who posted press conference notes here. I have been working and missed it.
Wizard
When was the last time it was this obvious that the US government was trying to sweep something under the rug?

JFK assassination?
BigHitterDaLama
Wizard said:

When was the last time it was this obvious that the US government was trying to sweep something under the rug?

JFK assassination?
Benghazi ?????
First Page Last Page
Page 74 of 140

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.