Newly Independent Churches - who else?

1,766 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 52 min ago by CrackerJackAg
CrackerJackAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
All of those were decisions to attempt to unify the Church and find agreements. Church leaders spent centuries in attempts to come to an agreement with the monophysites. A small percentage went their own way. Almost all that did died out. For the most part it was one Church until the RCC went their own way. That sort of opened the door to the idea.

Any division today that still exist are due to cultural and long established Churches surviving apart from one another after the Muslim invasions and a thousand years of the Ottoman Empire.

Being under the turbin probably helped The Eastern Churches hold together. The West had no real threat to the faith to bind it.

Protestantism destroyed the Western Church.

Christianity would be stronger unified.
dermdoc
AG
CrackerJackAg said:

All of those were decisions to attempt to unify the Church and find agreements. Church leaders spent centuries in attempts to come to an agreement with the monophysites. A small percentage went their own way. Almost all that did died out. For the most part it was one Church until the RCC went their own way. That sort of opened the door to the idea.

Any division today that still exist are due to cultural and long established Churches surviving apart from one another after the Muslim invasions and a thousand years of the Ottoman Empire.

Being under the turbin probably helped The Eastern Churches hold together. The West had no real threat to the faith to bind it.

So what are we divided about? And who caused the divisions?

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
CrackerJackAg
AG
dermdoc said:

CrackerJackAg said:

I originally commented on the ease at which Protestants are willing to further divide the Church without consequence or thought. I found that to be disturbing.

The discussion spiraled from there.

The division is evident. From Orthodox to Catholic the division is less theological and could be overcome at some point. Papal authority being like sand and cheese to the Orthodox.

We agree on the Sacraments and this is where I personally draw the line with the Christian Faith.

Bishops, Church Tradition, Single Baptism, The Trinity and the Eucharist (true blood and body of Christ)

I can't tell you what all 200+ MAJOR American Protestant denominations think or what the estimated 47,000 Protestant denominations worldwide think and what all divides The RCC and The Orthodox from each of them.

I would die before I even figured out who they all were.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christian_denominations_by_number_of_members#:~:text=Broadly%20speaking%20Protestantism%20has%20four,tens%20of%20thousands%20of%20denominations.

I would assume each Protestant group got bothered by each other and continue to divide. I don't think any one did it to them. The answer has always been to go their own way when they don't get their own way.

Protestants cut tail and ran rather than fixing the issue. It was more about independence and removing any form of higher authority than anything else in my opinion.

Going out. Have a good night.

I'm not as combative in person. Texags is never a great median for these types of discussions.

Jabin
Quote:

Protestants cut tail and ran rather than fixing the issue.
Wait, I thought that Luther tried to remain in the RCC but was kicked out? Am I wrong on that?
AgLiving06
CrackerJackAg said:

dermdoc said:

CrackerJackAg said:

I originally commented on the ease at which Protestants are willing to further divide the Church without consequence or thought. I found that to be disturbing.

The division is evident. From Orthodox to Catholic the division is less theological and could be overcome at some point. Papal authority being like sand and cheese to the Orthodox.

We agree on the Sacraments and this is where I personally draw the line with the Christian Faith.

Bishops, Church Tradition, Single Baptism, The Trinity and the Eucharist (true blood and body of Christ)

I can't tell you what all 200+ MAJOR American Protestant denominations think or what the estimated 47,000 Protestant denominations worldwide think and what all divides The RCC and The Orthodox from each of them.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christian_denominations_by_number_of_members#:~:text=Broadly%20speaking%20Protestantism%20has%20four,tens%20of%20thousands%20of%20denominations.

I would assume each Protestant group got bothered by each other and continue to divide. I don't think any one did it to them. The answer has always been to go their own way when they don't get their own way.

Protestants cut tail and ran rather than fixing the issue. It was more about independence and removing any form of higher authority than anything else in my opinion.

I'm not as combative in person. Texags is never a great median for these types of discussions.

You may not be a combative person, but when you post half truths and lies, it really doesn't help your case.

The 47,000 (or whatever non-sensical number used) has been debunked repeatedly as false.

Protestants don't "cut and run" rather than fix issues. In fact, many many protestants will point to the historical christian church as proof for their beliefs. Why? Because the reality is that there was a wide tent of beliefs acceptable in the early church (easily up through 1000 years after Christ) that group slike the EO and Rome don't want you to know about.

There was no mythical unity or singular belief that existed then nor now and the simple proof is all the supposed "unwritten tradition" groups that all claim to infallible know what is going on.

You mention Rome and the EO but that divide is massive. For Rome to admit the Pope is not the infallible leader of the Church is for Rome to collapse as a group. For the EO to concede it is to take the blame for 1000 years of separation. Good luck on that simple fix.
CrackerJackAg
AG
AgLiving06 said:

CrackerJackAg said:

dermdoc said:

CrackerJackAg said:

You may not be a combative person, but when you post half truths and lies, it really doesn't help your case.

The 47,000 (or whatever non-sensical number used) has been debunked repeatedly as false.

Protestants don't "cut and run" rather than fix issues. In fact, many many protestants will point to the historical christian church as proof for their beliefs. Why? Because the reality is that there was a wide tent of beliefs acceptable in the early church (easily up through 1000 years after Christ) that group slike the EO and Rome don't want you to know about.

There was no mythical unity or singular belief that existed then nor now and the simple proof is all the supposed "unwritten tradition" groups that all claim to infallible know what is going on.

You mention Rome and the EO but that divide is massive. For Rome to admit the Pope is not the infallible leader of the Church is for Rome to collapse as a group. For the EO to concede it is to take the blame for 1000 years of separation. Good luck on that simple fix.

Almost entirely false.
CrackerJackAg
AG
Jabin said:

Quote:

Protestants cut tail and ran rather than fixing the issue.
Wait, I thought that Luther tried to remain in the RCC but was kicked out? Am I wrong on that?

His initial intention was not to. Then things went down a path he lacked control over. Then he went all in.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.