What slippery slope?

11,347 Views | 244 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by BusterAg
kurt vonnegut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AGC said:

kurt vonnegut said:

I have not promoted public accommodation laws. Or said schools should encourage transitioning children. I have not asked for my views to have privilege.

I am frustrated. . . Your entire posts are strawman arguments. Like I said, you are not engaging my posts. You are projecting far left ideologies onto me and engaging those ideas. When you stop doing that, we can talk.

Kurt tell me where my ability to practice my belief publicly stops. Give me a concrete example instead of an abstract. We live in the real world and inhabit physical places, not just metaphysical constructs. I'm trying to provide these but you're running away and calling them strawmen.

Sure. You are entitled to practice a belief that says that marriage is between one man and one woman. You may practice this life style publicly in your life. I disagree with efforts to inflict limitations of marriage arrangements on others based on your beliefs. I actually don't know if you are against legalized polygamy or not. I've asked you twice in this thread and you've failed to answer.

You have the right to pray. You have the right to pray wherever you want, even during school. You do not have the right to tell my child that he needs to be part of your prayer or to have to sit through it.

You don't want teachers encouraging kids to be gay or transition genders. I'm good with that. I don't want teachers encouraging kids to pray, follow God, be religious, or follow Christianity. You okay with that?

I don't care if you don't want to sell cakes to the gays. I never said you should have to. You keep brining it up to me despite that fact.
kurt vonnegut
AG
Beer Baron said:

Parents freak out when it comes up but usually a super simple answer is all the kid needs or wants. When my friend's kid first grasped the concept that sometimes adults are married to each other, we were at a party at his parents' house and he kept trying to figure out who went with who. When he asked which lady there was my wife. I just said "actually, that's my husband over there." He just said "ok" and went about his business and somehow he's still not a drag queen YET.
barbacoa taco
AG
yeah, it's really just allowing children to experience and learn about the world as it is rather than censor things from them. It's troubling hearing people accuse teachers and other adults of being groomers simply for being honest with children about things like this (without being explicit in any way).
Zobel
AG
what is honest and what is censoring is a matter of perspective. as is what is normative.
AGC
AG
kurt vonnegut said:

AGC said:

kurt vonnegut said:

I have not promoted public accommodation laws. Or said schools should encourage transitioning children. I have not asked for my views to have privilege.

I am frustrated. . . Your entire posts are strawman arguments. Like I said, you are not engaging my posts. You are projecting far left ideologies onto me and engaging those ideas. When you stop doing that, we can talk.

Kurt tell me where my ability to practice my belief publicly stops. Give me a concrete example instead of an abstract. We live in the real world and inhabit physical places, not just metaphysical constructs. I'm trying to provide these but you're running away and calling them strawmen.

Sure. You are entitled to practice a belief that says that marriage is between one man and one woman. You may practice this life style publicly in your life. I disagree with efforts to inflict limitations of marriage arrangements on others based on your beliefs. I actually don't know if you are against legalized polygamy or not. I've asked you twice in this thread and you've failed to answer.

You have the right to pray. You have the right to pray wherever you want, even during school. You do not have the right to tell my child that he needs to be part of your prayer or to have to sit through it.

You don't want teachers encouraging kids to be gay or transition genders. I'm good with that. I don't want teachers encouraging kids to pray, follow God, be religious, or follow Christianity. You okay with that?

I don't care if you don't want to sell cakes to the gays. I never said you should have to. You keep brining it up to me despite that fact.

This is all low hanging fruit and rarely the front we're discussing here.

Tell me what should happen if I don't use someone's preferred pronouns - should I be fired? Or if I don't affirm my child's gender (can Virginia and California strip my parental rights?). Can I say things someone finds offensive (that would be called denying someone's right to exist)? Do I really have equality if I have no avenue to pursue work without being able to practice these things (major companies won't hire me, to which the f16 left says to start my own google or Toyota). These are the fronts that this is now taking on. Can my kids in public school do the same? At universities? What about PayPal cutting me off for their own definition of hate speech? Or closing my bank account? Do you really think a society where my right to practice means total exclusion is the same as what you're positing?

Edit: forgot to ask if my kids can have sex exclusive restrooms and locker rooms.
AGC
AG
larry culpepper said:

yeah, it's really just allowing children to experience and learn about the world as it is rather than censor things from them. It's troubling hearing people accuse teachers and other adults of being groomers simply for being honest with children about things like this (without being explicit in any way).

Being honest? Surely you jest. You think elementary schoolers understand what a teacher means when they throw up the genderbread man? Some of them still think it's possible to be airplanes. They have no concept of long term impact and neither do middle or high schoolers. Allowing teenagers to make life altering decisions is criminal. The human brain isn't done developing and they're not fully into the frontal lobe yet. Ask a child what marriage is and they'll have no clue, they don't understand relationships.

They're not being 'honest' with children. They're being cruel. It's not censorship to ground them in the biological reality of their bodies; it's the opposite, it's informative and actually teaching them about the world they inhabit and live in.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Maybe it's just the combination of being multicultural and democratic. Rome and Persia both had an uncrackable aristocracy. Power was consolidated and limited to a very small number of people, and those people were culturally homogenous. However, when power is continually up for grabs, then the cultural differences take on a much more sinister edge. You get that a little bit with the tribune system in Rome. As the common people start to pull power away from the senatorial elites, then the entire system destabilized until they resorted to autocracy. And they were pretty homogenous culture-wise. I can't imagine how quickly Rome would have fallen apart if the plebes and patricians had entirely different worldviews, or if some of each side had mutually exclusive worldviews.

I'm not advocating totalitarianism. I think there's a "habitable zone" on either side. A small, limited central government allows for a lot of diversity as communities self-segregate into peaceful, homogenous groups that interact with each other organically. Conversely, if power is not up for grabs, then there is no reason to drum up constant political strife in order to acquire it. Unfortunately, we might be stuck in the "inhabitable zone" of constant turnover of power, nearly totalitarian scope of government power, and incompatible worldviews
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Aggrad08
AG
"(major companies won't hire me, to which the f16 left says to start my own google or Toyota). "

Do you not see the impressive irony here? You are literally bemoaning public accommodation laws because someone had to bake a cake. But are simultaneously considering even more restrictions on who major employers can hire and fire or service?

What you are complaining about is far beyond the scope of current public accommodation laws.

It seems you want the right to discriminate against whoever you wish and to not be discriminated against. It's the hypocrisy of this that kills me.

I actually think that it's a valid attack off the left that they are authoritarian and exclusive when it comes to diversity of ideas and beliefs and are fundamentally enemies of free speech when put to the test.

What is your desired solution here that doesn't give you special treatment? What are you asking for that doesn't amount to the right to discriminate without being discriminated against?
AGC
AG
Aggrad08 said:

"(major companies won't hire me, to which the f16 left says to start my own google or Toyota). "

Do you not see the impressive irony here? You are literally bemoaning public accommodation laws because someone had to bake a cake. But are simultaneously considering even more restrictions on who major employers can hire and fire or service?

What you are complaining about is far beyond the scope of current public accommodation laws.

It seems you want the right to discriminate against whoever you wish and to not be discriminated against. It's the hypocrisy of this that kills me.

I actually think that it's a valid attack off the left that they are authoritarian and exclusive when it comes to diversity of ideas and beliefs and are fundamentally enemies of free speech when put to the test.

What is your desired solution here that doesn't give you special treatment? What are you asking for that doesn't amount to the right to discriminate without being discriminated against?

If you can't tell the difference between a local cake shop with lots of competitors and the only major search engine with monopoly power I'm not sure I can offer a sufficient explanation.
Aggrad08
AG
AGC said:

If you can't tell the difference between a local cake shop with lots of competitors and the only major search engine with monopoly power I'm not sure I can offer a sufficient explanation.
I'm not sure you understand how laws work. And it won't be democrats who will be more strongly in your way of breaking up monopolies.

Again, I asked what proposal you are looking for that doesn't offer you special treatment? Do you have anything whatsoever to offer besides victimhood?
AGC
AG
Aggrad08 said:

AGC said:

I'm not sure you understand how laws work. And it won't be democrats who will be more strongly in your way of breaking up monopolies.

Again, I asked what proposal you are looking for that doesn't offer you special treatment? Do you have anything whatsoever to offer besides victimhood?

Laws don't vary based on company size or market power? That's news to me. I look forward to the ftc blocking the next local cake shop acquisition in Abilene, Texas or wherever. Surely the children of the donut shop owner who work there on weekends can expect a visit from the government to enforce child labor laws too.

Large multinational firms are different from sole proprietorships.

Edit: victimhood is the coin of the realm. It's the entire basis for DEI. What's wrong with victimhood in this scenario?
Aggrad08
AG
It depends on the law, public accommodation laws do not. For a law to treat different entities differently it needs to be written in or deliberately excluded with a rational that holds up in court.

For the umpteenth time you have a recommendation for a law that doesn't just give you special treatment?

What's wrong with victimhood is you are trying to have your cake and eat it too. You want to not be a victim but your grievance is not being able to victimize others in exactly the same way
DirtDiver
Quote:

Here is an example. . . . Great Expectations is a classic book with a complex story line which includes the main character falling in love with a girl. There is no explicit material. No sex. Nothing profane. If this exact book were written with Pip and Esteban instead of Pip and Estella, would it be 'teaching sexuality'? Would it then be not appropriate? If your answer is no, then I think we are on the same page.

I haven't read the book however in the Pip and Esteban example it would be teaching a world view about sexuality that I personally would not want taught in a public classroom. There are other relational options as well that I would not want presented in a classroom.

The question "would it not be appropriate" implies a standard of appropriateness. Who sets that standard when you and I disagree?

kurt vonnegut
AG
AGC said:

kurt vonnegut said:

AGC said:

kurt vonnegut said:

Tell me what should happen if I don't use someone's preferred pronouns - should I be fired? Or if I don't affirm my child's gender (can Virginia and California strip my parental rights?). Can I say things someone finds offensive (that would be called denying someone's right to exist)? Do I really have equality if I have no avenue to pursue work without being able to practice these things (major companies won't hire me, to which the f16 left says to start my own google or Toyota). These are the fronts that this is now taking on. Can my kids in public school do the same? At universities? What about PayPal cutting me off for their own definition of hate speech? Or closing my bank account? Do you really think a society where my right to practice means total exclusion is the same as what you're positing?

Edit: forgot to ask if my kids can have sex exclusive restrooms and locker rooms.

You are really going to make me ask a fourth time aren't you?
AGC
AG
Aggrad08 said:

It depends on the law, public accommodation laws do not. For a law to treat different entities differently it needs to be written in or deliberately excluded with a rational that holds up in court.

For the umpteenth time you have a recommendation for a law that doesn't just give you special treatment?

What's wrong with victimhood is you are trying to have your cake and eat it too. You want to not be a victim but your grievance is not being able to victimize others in exactly the same way

How am I victimizing people with my practice? What right do people have to my labor or my speech? Surely someone else can make said cake. Unfortunately google denying space is totally different: it is non-existence. This rationale does hold up in court: it's monopoly / oligopoly power and laughable to contest.

You have yet to demonstrate a meaningful injury that creates a victim. What I imagine it will come down to is infringing upon expressive individualism; the right to force everyone to agree with your choice of expression (despite it not actually existing).

But please answer the rest of my questions: is not calling someone by their pronoun creating a victim? Where does their right to force others to acquiesce to their reality come from? I put a lot up there for current battles and all you singled out was my 'create your own google'.
AGC
AG
kurt vonnegut said:

AGC said:

kurt vonnegut said:

AGC said:

kurt vonnegut said:

You are really going to make me ask a fourth time aren't you?

Do you really need to or do you know the answer? Why does it matter anyways? What makes secular humanist morality the government default?
kurt vonnegut
AG
DirtDiver said:

Quote:

Here is an example. . . . Great Expectations is a classic book with a complex story line which includes the main character falling in love with a girl. There is no explicit material. No sex. Nothing profane. If this exact book were written with Pip and Esteban instead of Pip and Estella, would it be 'teaching sexuality'? Would it then be not appropriate? If your answer is no, then I think we are on the same page.

I haven't read the book however in the Pip and Esteban example it would be teaching a world view about sexuality that I personally would not want taught in a public classroom. There are other relational options as well that I would not want presented in a classroom.

The question "would it not be appropriate" implies a standard of appropriateness. Who sets that standard when you and I disagree?

Just curious about your standard of appropriateness in this case. Thanks for answering by the way.

If a book contained a Hindu character, it would be exposing public classrooms to a different world view from your own? Would you not want that book allowed? Or what if a character was a communist or a fascist or a racist or an atheist?

What if a book contained murder, or incest, or anger, or lust, or racism, or hate, or divorce, or infidelity?

Assuming that books containing other 'sins' or world views would be permissible to you in public classrooms, what is the distinction that makes homosexuality so horrible? Is exposure to a fictional homosexual character in a book with no graphic sexual descriptions worse than teaching children about false gods, non Christian culture, and dangerous political systems?
kurt vonnegut
AG
I want to know because I want to understand your position. I can't understand your position if you won't answer simple ****ing questions.
Aggrad08
AG
AGC said:

How am I victimizing people with my practice?
I don't know what your practice is.
Quote:

What right do people have to my labor or my speech?
What right do you have to be employed by whoever you want regardless of your speech? Again, with the hypocrisy.

Quote:

Surely someone else can make said cake.

Again. be consistent. If someone else can make the cake then someone else can open a business that would otherwise serve you. And even with google there are alternatives you could work at.

Quote:

Unfortunately google denying space is totally different: it is non-existence. This rationale does hold up in court: it's monopoly / oligopoly power and laughable to contest.

What right to you have to google's employment? Where does it end, does google have to hire KKK radicals or Jihadists?

Quote:

You have yet to demonstrate a meaningful injury that creates a victim.

You want the right to exclude gays for being gay. Your only claim is that you want to limit this to small business I guess, but I dont' see how excluding service doesn't create victims. Sure in the case of a monopoly it's worse, but everything is worse in the case of a monopoly. That's really just a reason to not have monopiles, not a reason to change accommodation laws.

I asked you before if you were ok if HEB excluded Christians-you never answered. Should that be legal?

Quote:

But please answer the rest of my questions: is not calling someone by their pronoun creating a victim? Where does their right to force others to acquiesce to their reality come from? I put a lot up there for current battles and all you singled out was my 'create your own google'.
I singled that out because of the hypocrisy and lack of thoughtfulness or any suggestion of what the law should be. I asked too many times for you to state what law you propose to change here and you never did. I'll answer your questions when for the first time after who knows how many tries you answer mine.
AGC
AG
kurt vonnegut said:

I want to know because I want to understand your position. I can't understand your position if you won't answer simple ****ing questions.

Assuming you're talking about polygamy it's an obvious no. I don't know how you can expect to understand my position though; you're not a modern anymore in the way you think and I'm closer to premodern. It's a gulf.
AGC
AG
Aggrad08 said:

AGC said:

How am I victimizing people with my practice?
I don't know what your practice is.
Quote:

What right do people have to my labor or my speech?
What right do you have to be employed by whoever you want regardless of your speech? Again, with the hypocrisy.

Quote:

Surely someone else can make said cake.

Again. be consistent. If someone else can make the cake then someone else can open a business that would otherwise serve you. And even with google there are alternatives you could work at.

Quote:

Unfortunately google denying space is totally different: it is non-existence. This rationale does hold up in court: it's monopoly / oligopoly power and laughable to contest.

What right to you have to google's employment? Where does it end, does google have to hire KKK radicals or Jihadists?

Quote:

You have yet to demonstrate a meaningful injury that creates a victim.

You want the right to exclude gays for being gay. Your only claim is that you want to limit this to small business I guess, but I dont' see how excluding service doesn't create victims. Sure in the case of a monopoly it's worse, but everything is worse in the case of a monopoly. That's really just a reason to not have monopiles, not a reason to change accommodation laws.

I asked you before if you were ok if HEB excluded Christians-you never answered. Should that be legal?

Quote:

I singled that out because of the hypocrisy and lack of thoughtfulness or any suggestion of what the law should be. I asked too many times for you to state what law you propose to change here and you never did. I'll answer your questions when for the first time after who knows how many tries you answer mine.

You said my grievance is not being able to victimize others (bottom of your prior post) and now you don't know how I victimize them (top of this one)? Perhaps you should read and respond to posts as a whole. I didn't write bullet points to be addressed individually.

Scale and scope matter, again. Even the government recognizes that. I don't know what you're talking about with regards to demanding employment. I'm not sure you understand what I was posting originally now. Google denying service to a customer is different than Aggrad's 1,000 SF florist shop. One is easy to find a substitute for with the same result; the other isn't. The average person can't just make their own YouTube if they're banned.

No gays are hurt by a small shop refusing to make a custom cake in Austin, Texas. Really. They'll still get a cake made and their wedding will be fine. They can even have one made by the same person right off the shelf. Public accommodation laws weren't designed with someone in a city having only 49 choices instead of 50 in mind. Nor were they designed to coerce speech (check out the new lawsuit from Colorado headed to scotus).

When you pick HEB you're picking a chain that may be the only grocery store in mexia so you're closer to google than a photographer. There's a reason you keep using large chains to make your point; there's no victim when you use Joe's smoke shack not selling newports to Christians. Tons of substitutes.
Aggrad08
AG
Your grievance is having to serve gays.

HEB is almost never the only grocery available. What town is getting groceries at another store harder than buying a wedding cake at a different shop? Again what law are you suggesting. Why is this so hard for you to answer.
AGC
AG
Aggrad08 said:

Your grievance is having to serve gays.

HEB is almost never the only grocery available. What town is getting groceries at another store harder than buying a wedding cake at a different shop? Again what law are you suggesting. Why is this so hard for you to answer.

That's actually not my grievance. I specified the case I did for a specific reason. I don't pick and choose assignments at work based on such things either in case you're wondering, and not just because it's illegal.

Grocery stores are generally much less numerous, especially in smaller markets which comes much closer to the intent of public accommodation laws. Further restricting them even in larger ones impacts the poor disproportionately while the poor can simply bake their own cake (someone shopping high end custom cakes isn't hurting for the ability to have a cake). You can't really tell the poor to simply grow their own rice.
Aggrad08
AG
What's your standard then? I keep asking and you keep offering nothing. I do think you begin to see the point in public accommodation. You kept asking what right people have towards others labor? Yet here you are with simple examples that in 95+% of towns have a Kroger or wal mart or Albertsons or something not a mile away and yet you demand access to their labor.

So you support public accommodation laws then? You just want exceptions for certain things? What are your exceptions-what law do you want passed.

How about chipole? Can they exclude Christian's? Home Depot? I've barely ever seen one of those more than a mile from a lowes? Holiday inn? A bar? Develop a standard that isn't just I want to be able to deny service to gays but protect Christian's.
kurt vonnegut
AG
AGC said:

Assuming you're talking about polygamy it's an obvious no. I don't know how you can expect to understand my position though; you're not a modern anymore in the way you think and I'm closer to premodern. It's a gulf.

We don't need to agree to understand one another.

So, legal rights for polygamists to marry is an 'obvious no'. In your opinion, what should be the legal standard for determining who can receive the benefits of this legal arrangement?

Does this standard equally protect different persons and different world views and their freedom of religion? Or does it favor one worldview over others?

For much of this thread, you have shown great concern over the idea of secularism being imposed on you or on society? And I am having a hard time explaining your opposing polygamy as anything other than "my religion says it's bad and everyone should be forced to live by my religion's rules"

If you are in favor of some level of Christian theocracy, I'm obviously not going to agree, but it will help me understand your position.
Serotonin
AG
Every human being has a biological mother and father and it's in society's best interest to elevate that relationship and have a legal framework for determining rights under said relationship.

The idea of elevating the relationship between two men or multiple people in a group to the same cultural or legal status is another excellent example of a confused society in cultural decline.

Simple ideals and institutions which are sources of communal strength and identity become deconstructed, argued over, leaving us in a tortured cultural limbo where nothing is clearly defined and there are no lines of demarcation.

Why shouldn't polygamous groups have the same status as couples?
Why shouldn't siblings have the same status as polygamous groups?
Why shouldn't cousins have the same status as siblings?
Why shouldn't platonic friends have the same status as those above?

This is why Americans overwhelmingly rejected gay marriage at the ballot box across the country a decade ago. People knew Pandora's Box would be opened, and there's no natural stopping point. The OP's article is an excellent example of that.
Silian Rail
Serotonin said:

Every human being has a biological mother and father and it's in society's best interest to elevate that relationship and have a legal framework for determining rights under said relationship.

The idea of elevating the relationship between two men or multiple people in a group to the same cultural or legal status is another excellent example of a confused society in cultural decline.

Simple ideals and institutions which are sources of communal strength and identity become deconstructed, argued over, leaving us in a tortured cultural limbo where nothing is clearly defined and there are no lines of demarcation.

This is why Americans overwhelmingly rejected gay marriage at the ballot box across the country a decade ago. People knew Pandora's Box would be opened, and there's no natural stopping point. The OP's article is an excellent example of that.
kurt vonnegut
AG
Serotonin said:

And who gets to determine what is in the society's best interest and who gets to determine which of those interests can be forcefully imposed? AGC has asked about why secular values should be given a privileged position in society. And I am asking why Christian values should be given that privilege.

It seems clear to me that many Christians claiming persecution and loss of religious freedom mean to say that they lament the loss of legal Christian favoritism. These people don't want religious freedom, they want religious dominance. They want for their religious values to be forcefully imposed on others. Christian value laws are good and Secular value laws are a violation of religious freedom, right?

The conservative position used to be 'Don't tell me how to live my life and I won't tell you how to live yours'. I think this has pretty well been exposed as a joke. You have every intention of forcefully imposing rules on me to determine who I can marry because you think your religious values are better than mine. What I would like is for the Christians that oppose legal rights for LGBTQ to either admit that they are huge hypocrites or that they favor Christian theocracy in the US.

The decade old gay marriage question is silly in my opinion. The same concerns were made about giving rights to blacks and women.

A response to this post that points out all the ways in which the 'left' is trying to impose their views misses the point. There are plenty of examples of this where I would agree with you here. There is a contingent on both sides that is fighting for the right to impose their values under the guise of fighting for freedom or equality. Those contingents is who I'm trying to call out.

So, if you are in favor of Christian authoritarianism being imposed on everyone. . . just come out and say it. Don't pretend you are a victim of persecution.
Silian Rail
I would just like to point out that "you do you and I'll do me" is quintessential liberalism and has nothing to do with conservatism.

The confusion stems from the fact that the only societies able to actually practice liberalism are conservative ones where people voluntarily practice righteousness without having to be forced into it by law. We mistake the cause for the effect, as if being out of jail is what makes a person good, not that good people don't need to be jailed
Bob Lee
AG
Christian values should be given preference because they don't try to flout natural law. A pervasive gay culture in society is hugely detrimental, and Christian marriage and the product of which is hugely valuable to it. So why should we not act in our interest? And if society is acting in its interest, how can it be authoritarian? Is the imposition of an objective standard just Christian authoritarianism in your view? We have to be allowed to frustrate our intended purpose, or we aren't free. We have to be allowed to pursue pleasure without any constraints, or we're the subject of authoritarian rule.
Aggrad08
AG
Silian Rail said:

I would just like to point out that "you do you and I'll do me" is quintessential liberalism and has nothing to do with conservatism.

The confusion stems from the fact that the only societies able to actually practice liberalism are conservative ones where people voluntarily practice righteousness without having to be forced into it by law. We mistake the cause for the effect, as if being out of jail is what makes a person good, not that good people don't need to be jailed

There are certainly no shortage of societies less conservative than the US with far lower incidents of crime and imprisonment.

Perhaps it's not social conservatism that allows liberalism.
Sapper Redux
Bob Lee said:

Christian values should be given preference because they don't try to flout natural law. A pervasive gay culture in society is hugely detrimental, and Christian marriage and the product of which is hugely valuable to it. So why should we not act in our interest? And if society is acting in its interest, how can it be authoritarian? Is the imposition of an objective standard just Christian authoritarianism in your view? We have to be allowed to frustrate our intended purpose, or we aren't free. We have to be allowed to pursue pleasure without any constraints, or we're the subject of authoritarian rule.

Your idea of "natural law" and "objective standard" are neither natural nor objective.
Silian Rail
Aggrad08 said:

Silian Rail said:

There are certainly no shortage of societies less conservative than the US with far lower incidents of crime and imprisonment.

Perhaps it's not social conservatism that allows liberalism.
The countries you're likely thinking of are small, monocultural enclaves that have decriminalized many of the so-called "vice" laws and therefore naturally have lower rates of crime and imprisonment. In truth there is really no analog to the United States to test the theory; other countries our size are 2nd and 3rd world; without the diversity of our population. Japan is the closest 1st world country in size; but obviously is nowhere near as diverse. Japan would be a model to work towards as they have managed to make universal healthcare and education work to great benefit.

Furthermore crime is a touchy subject for the main reason that even with the huge numbers of laws on the books governing behavior; we have very low rates of crime when controlling for demographic/sociopolitical differences.

Our forefathers understood this, rather than freedom being a panacea; they constructed a religious monocultural enclave governed by aristocrats and then enacted citizenship laws to ensure cultural homogeneity.
Aggrad08
AG
Limit it to violent crime and we are still worse than most the first world. And you get some pretty big populations included there like France Japan or Germany.

The idea that this is just because we have more laws is false. But it's also a good argument against those laws since these societies don't punish petty vices and are better functioning when it comes to violence and homelessness. So what's the argument in favor of punishing people for smoking weed?

And now you are changing your argument, it's not about a society being conservative it's about a society being homogeneous I think this also fails. As there are plenty of small homogeneous and heavily religious nations where crime is most rampant.

Poverty rates are one of the most consistent markers of crime, and it's the one you've yet to mention it-doesn't fit the narrative though.

And there is a stark outlier in black Americans and a modest outlier in Hispanics, even using just white Americans we still score lower than many other nations even when not limiting those same nations to their own non minority population:

https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2021/05/21/how-america-compares-to-the-world-when-split-by-race

American exceptionalism does apply in some metrics. Crime simply isn't one of them any way you slice it.
barbacoa taco
AG
Silian Rail said:

Right.

Conservatism is "I'll do me, and you can do you so long as I agree with it. If I don't agree with it then it should be illegal." Conservatism in America is authoritarian.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.