What slippery slope?

11,338 Views | 244 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by BusterAg
AGC
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
schmendeler said:

"you don't get to teach kids things" isn't a Christian belief that the rest of us have to observe.

Right, only humanist atheists get to say that. Full bore with transitioning elementary school students and high fives all around!

Edit: notice how quickly the atheist jumps from, 'you can believe what you like,' to, 'who cares what you believe, we're not going to listen to you.'
barbacoa taco
AG
What in the world is queer theory?
schmendeler
AG
AGC said:

schmendeler said:

"you don't get to teach kids things" isn't a Christian belief that the rest of us have to observe.

Right, only humanist atheists get to say that. Full bore with transitioning elementary school students and high fives all around!

Edit: notice how quickly the atheist jumps from, 'you can believe what you like,' to, 'who cares what you believe, we're not going to listen to you.'

It's telling that you think those two statements are contradictory.
Beer Baron
AG
Some people believe the earth is flat? Who cares and also we shouldn't listen to them. Yep, pretty easy.
kurt vonnegut
AG
AGC said:

I posted specific examples. Teaching queer theory to elementary schoolers in public ed is another example of infringement. You said in another thread you're fine with it so why's my statement offensive?

I don't understand this. Teaching a child that a thing exists is an infringement to those who disagree with the morality of the thing?

What is it that you think I'm fine with? I am fine with a public school teaching children (of appropriate age) what homosexuality is and that it exists. Or that some people identify as queer and trans. I'm fine with a book or story containing an LGBTQ character. I am also fine with a school teaching that Christians exists and that they generally believe 'x'. Or having a book containing a Christian character or a reference to God.

I don't think your statement is offensive. I think it is a mischaracterization of what I believe. I believe that Christians have every right to participate openly and public in society. And so do Muslims and Jews and atheists and queers and polygamists and all the people you disagree with. I believe that a position that public education should be scrubbed of reference to any of those ideas would be hypocritical in light of what you are asking for - that Christians be permitted to practice in public.

On a side note - Given your obvious distaste for imposition of morality, can I infer that you are therefore staunchly opposed to the OPs position? Or at least that you are in favor of legal rights for polygamists?
AGC
AG
schmendeler said:

AGC said:

schmendeler said:

It's telling that you think those two statements are contradictory.

So when atheists whine about theocracy and integralism it's really just complaining about not having the power; it's not an actual objection to the behavior itself at all. Understood
AGC
AG
kurt vonnegut said:

AGC said:

I posted specific examples. Teaching queer theory to elementary schoolers in public ed is another example of infringement. You said in another thread you're fine with it so why's my statement offensive?

I don't understand this. Teaching a child that a thing exists is an infringement to those who disagree with the morality of the thing?

What is it that you think I'm fine with? I am fine with a public school teaching children (of appropriate age) what homosexuality is and that it exists. Or that some people identify as queer and trans. I'm fine with a book or story containing an LGBTQ character. I am also fine with a school teaching that Christians exists and that they generally believe 'x'. Or having a book containing a Christian character or a reference to God.

I don't think your statement is offensive. I think it is a mischaracterization of what I believe. I believe that Christians have every right to participate openly and public in society. And so do Muslims and Jews and atheists and queers and polygamists and all the people you disagree with. I believe that a position that public education should be scrubbed of reference to any of those ideas would be hypocritical in light of what you are asking for - that Christians be permitted to practice in public.

On a side note - Given your obvious distaste for imposition of morality, can I infer that you are therefore staunchly opposed to the OPs position? Or at least that you are in favor of legal rights for polygamists?

You're conflating things. I pointed out that atheists don't actually believe what they say when they claim to support our ability to believe something. They think belief is something that happens in your head, not something that you live out in everyday life. We can't participate fully in society that is openly hostile to us practicing that belief. Sex and gender is part of that. Prayer is part of that. Administering our workplace according to our belief is part of that. Educating our children is part of that.

I don't believe in multicultural societies as lasting cohesive things. I don't believe in pluralism. It's a temporary power struggle, not a lasting social cohesion. Atheism is an evolutionary dead end anyways.

The 'gays exist' line is tired. We don't introduce children to every behavior on the human spectrum simply because it exists; it must demonstrate it is good or beneficial. Further that's totally different from teachers and schools advising and supporting children transitioning with no accountability. It's simply irrelevant and unnecessary to the general purpose of education. You might as well argue that kids need to learn how to use a smartphone early on or they never will. They'll figure it out just fine without having one.
Sapper Redux
Quote:

We don't introduce children to every behavior on the human spectrum simply because it exists; it must demonstrate it is good or beneficial

Two issues: 1. Bull***** Kids are introduced all the time to things that are of questionable value. Your issue is an inability to indoctrinate kids to your specific liking.
2. Who is deciding what is "good or beneficial"?
Frok
AG
larry culpepper said:

I will always believe in one's right to freely practice their religion, or to not practice any religion. So long as they aren't trying to force their beliefs on others, or use the power of the state to favor or enforce their religion.

But those in power consistently show they are unwilling to do that.

Everyone does this. You don't think the left is trying to force their beliefs on everyone?
kurt vonnegut
AG
AGC said:

You're conflating things. I pointed out that atheists don't actually believe what they say when they claim to support our ability to believe something. They think belief is something that happens in your head, not something that you live out in everyday life. We can't participate fully in society that is openly hostile to us practicing that belief. Sex and gender is part of that. Prayer is part of that. Administering our workplace according to our belief is part of that. Educating our children is part of that.

I don't believe in multicultural societies as lasting cohesive things. I don't believe in pluralism. It's a temporary power struggle, not a lasting social cohesion. Atheism is an evolutionary dead end anyways.

The 'gays exist' line is tired. We don't introduce children to every behavior on the human spectrum simply because it exists; it must demonstrate it is good or beneficial. Further that's totally different from teachers and schools advising and supporting children transitioning with no accountability. It's simply irrelevant and unnecessary to the general purpose of education. You might as well argue that kids need to learn how to use a smartphone early on or they never will. They'll figure it out just fine without having one.

Very well then. Let me amend my previous statements.

I support your right, and the right of Christians, to hold their own beliefs in their own head. AND I support your right, and the right of Christians, to live out those beliefs in their life and publicly up to the point where doing so begins to infringe on other people's rights.

If freedom for you to practice your religion must involve the sacrifice of other people's rights, then I guess I don't support your freedom of religion as you see it. What is the right term here for someone who complains of secular infringement on their rights, but claims that it is their right to infringe on the rights of secularists?

There are human behaviors far far less common then homosexuality that are discussed in school without objection. The objection to LGBTQ issues in the classroom has nothing to do with relevancy and everything to do with privileging a religious moral position. I've also never said teachers should advise and support kids to transition. I would be against that. That is a strawman.

AGC
AG
Sapper Redux said:

Quote:

We don't introduce children to every behavior on the human spectrum simply because it exists; it must demonstrate it is good or beneficial

Two issues: 1. Bull***** Kids are introduced all the time to things that are of questionable value. Your issue is an inability to indoctrinate kids to your specific liking.

1. I totally agree that kids are introduced to things of questionable value. Saying, 'x, y, and z exist in the world so kids should know about it' is lazy argumentation. For example murderers exist but I ain't showing elementary school kids an actual murder and saying you might want to express yourself as this when you're older so we'll help you transition to a sociopath. This is a parenting question, not an education question.

2. That's the question right? There's a lot in schools that isn't necessary so let's keep it out. Then you as a parent can decide that. Everyone can practice their belief as they see fit without things like school being a battle ground.
AGC
AG
kurt vonnegut said:

AGC said:

Very well then. Let me amend my previous statements.

I support your right, and the right of Christians, to hold their own beliefs in their own head. AND I support your right, and the right of Christians, to live out those beliefs in their life and publicly up to the point where doing so begins to infringe on other people's rights.

If freedom for you to practice your religion must involve the sacrifice of other people's rights, then I guess I don't support your freedom of religion as you see it. What is the right term here for someone who complains of secular infringement on their rights, but claims that it is their right to infringe on the rights of secularists?

There are human behaviors far far less common then homosexuality that are discussed in school without objection. The objection to LGBTQ issues in the classroom has nothing to do with relevancy and everything to do with privileging a religious moral position. I've also never said teachers should advise and support kids to transition. I would be against that. That is a strawman.

Why are other people's beliefs a boundary to my rights? What makes my rights inferior? This is the question you aren't answering. That's why I cite public accommodation: the necessity of it has shriveled up and just about blown away. There are millions of florists, millions of cake bakers, etc. There are few barriers to entry anymore save for social media and extremely large companies (which is why these cases never involve them). If I started a Christian printing company and didn't sell to atheists who cares? Hop online and get it done another way probably for less.

Looking at schools let's ask the question: do they spend as much time teaching any religion as they do focusing on secular humanist morality? There are people who would encourage transitioning children even in high school. Is the school prepared to help transition them from atheist to Muslim? You frame this as a removal of privilege without acknowledging that it now privileges secular humanism. You treat your sexual ethic as the null hypothesis and don't teach anyone else's. You've replaced one privileged belief system with another and see nothing wrong with it because it's yours.

Side note: I think public accommodation is the way to treat social media privileging political viewpoints.
Aggrad08
AG
AGC said:

Again it's all because reasons.
Um yes that's how thought works.

Quote:

You keep defaulting to laws rather than engaging with how they interfere with religious practice.

You keep complaining about laws that do not single out your religion as burdens upon your religion. I asked and I'm still waiting for an answer as to how you are more burdened than a KKK member?

I asked and am still waiting for an answer whether you think walmart or HEB should be able to decide they don't want to serve members of certain religions?

Quote:

You don't have a right to someone else's labor for a cake - this isn't the 1950s south where a black man can't get a hotel room at the only place in town.

You literally do in this country. As a Christian you do, as a white man you do, as a black man you do. A big part of the reason this isn't still the 1950s south in some areas is laws like this one help change the culture by force. Again, I'll accept a wholesale argument that NO protections should exist, in which case the entire city of San Fransisco can try to be hostile to certain branches of christianity or go uber woke and only open some businesses to non-whites. I simply don't see how this is a better world. But you've yet to make the argument that NO public accommodation laws should exist, only that you find it burdensome that they apply to Christians.

And what cake have you ever had to bake? How are YOU so burdened by public accommodation laws. Who are you having to serve that you don't want to as you live your oppressed life? Hell I'm probably more burdened by blue laws denying me booze on sunday in a practical sense than you are public accommodation laws.

The only people having to bake cakes are those who spend every day baking cakes of their own choice.

Quote:

You're also ignoring the intentional malice found that is present in secular government.
You have yet to demonstrate any significant portion of this that's actually targeting your religion rather than referring to situations where you are asking for government financial sponsorship or violating broad laws against discrimination.

Quote:

I know the pretension of a persecution complex really plays to your atheist audience here

It really is a pitch straight over the plate.

Quote:

but a Christian parent with kids in public school will likely have anti Christian teaching presented and encouraged. Preferencing one morality over another is replacement, not removal of privilege.
School curriculum should be about teaching facts to kids, the morality presented should be limited to behavior norms between students and teachers. Does you religion saying something isn't true mean we can't teach it in public school? Remember this is a government funded operation, what give you special privileges?

Should we not teach basic earth science, geology, cosmology, or evolution because some sects of Christianity teach that these things are more or less a contrived conspiracy?

I'm not sure what if anything is being taught about gay folks besides they exist and should be treated with kindness as you do others. What exactly is part of the curriculum or is being instructed that you find so hostile to your religion?

ramblin_ag02
AG
Quote:

I don't believe in multicultural societies as lasting cohesive things. I don't believe in pluralism. It's a temporary power struggle, not a lasting social cohesion
I want to believe that people of different values, beliefs, cultures, languages, and identities can coexist peacefully under a very limited set of social standards that apply to everyone coupled with a lot of freedom. The older I get, the more that looks like a naive fantasy. Most people just aren't wired to live and let live. That goes for everything from national politics to the local HOA.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Sapper Redux
Rome as a plural, multicultural empire lasted for centuries. So did Persia.
Sapper Redux
AGC said:

Sapper Redux said:

Quote:

1. I totally agree that kids are introduced to things of questionable value. Saying, 'x, y, and z exist in the world so kids should know about it' is lazy argumentation. For example murderers exist but I ain't showing elementary school kids an actual murder and saying you might want to express yourself as this when you're older so we'll help you transition to a sociopath. This is a parenting question, not an education question.

2. That's the question right? There's a lot in schools that isn't necessary so let's keep it out. Then you as a parent can decide that. Everyone can practice their belief as they see fit without things like school being a battle ground.

1. Are you comparing love between consenting adults with sociopathic murderers? Can't see the problems with that comparison? Kids are exposed to death and even violent death very early in media and in life. It's a subject to be discussed within certain boundaries depending on their maturity level. No one is saying teach preschoolers how sex is performed by LGBT couples, but rather that it's not wrong to teach them there are different kinds of people and families and that's okay.

2. Withholding discussion is a form of power and a form of othering those who you do not believe are proper members of society. Saying schools should have nothing to say about the existence and experience of gay people as regular human beings is absolutely a way of making them appear as lesser or disordered and thus worthy of shame.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Sapper Redux said:

I'm not sure I'd use Rome as an exemplar. Rome assimilated or dominated.

I'd buy Persia, but that would turn into a long discussion. Honestly that whole area had been beaten into submission by the Assyrians' reign of terror for thousands of years. So it's not like it took a lot of effort to keep the population in line. We can see from Alexander's easy success that the Persian military wasn't much to brag about by that point, and by extension the populace must have been pretty docile to remain so easily governed.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AGC
AG
Sapper Redux said:

AGC said:

Sapper Redux said:

Quote:

1. Are you comparing love between consenting adults with sociopathic murderers? Can't see the problems with that comparison? Kids are exposed to death and even violent death very early in media and in life. It's a subject to be discussed within certain boundaries depending on their maturity level. No one is saying teach preschoolers how sex is performed by LGBT couples, but rather that it's not wrong to teach them there are different kinds of people and families and that's okay.

2. Withholding discussion is a form of power and a form of othering those who you do not believe are proper members of society. Saying schools should have nothing to say about the existence and experience of gay people as regular human beings is absolutely a way of making them appear as lesser or disordered and thus worthy of shame.

1) The point is that the spectrum of human behavior isn't a basis from which to educate. It can easily be done other places if it's that important to you as a parent. 'Death' is different from murder and I don't consider murder an ideal thing for kids to have to engage with. A therapist is better than a public school educator. It must be developmentally appropriate and better still permitted by parents to discuss as kids within grades have different emotional maturity levels. You're trying to make the case that the liberal parent in a divorce is the standard. I'm making the case that they're the ****ty parent. Why look to the parent that lets a six year old stay up all night watching horror movies, joining random discord channels to play roblox unsupervised, and eating sugar for breakfast as a role model? The lowest common denominator should not be a standard for achievement.

2. Children don't belong to the state. Again, privileging your own morality is just another exercise of power. This is why post-modernism is a farce. It doesn't elevate all narratives, it subjugates many for a preferred one. If public school taught all moralities and beliefs as in depth as it does secular humanism we'd be having a very different discussion. You don't care about 'othering' because you think it's wrong; you care because you want it to happen to a different group than the current one.
AGC
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

Sapper Redux said:

I'd buy Persia, but that would turn into a long discussion. Honestly that whole area had been beaten into submission by the Assyrians' reign of terror for thousands of years. So it's not like it took a lot of effort to keep the population in line. We can see from Alexander's easy success that the Persian military wasn't much to brag about by that point, and by extension the populace must have been pretty docile to remain so easily governed.

Did the Persians take cultural elites and educate them before returning them like the Babylonians? Or disperse conquered peoples to other lands? I'm a little light on that history.
DirtDiver

Quote:

Why should a government funded school teach sexuality at any level? The public school finds itself all too often teaching a one sided philosophical world view.

example: Philosophy of science (not scientific fact) on the origin of the universe. A one-sided philosophy of science without the other view represented.

Do you think that during the sexuality talk they would invite a conservative Christian pastor to speak to the biblical views on sin as it relates to sexuality? I don't think so. Given that, the student's receive a one sided secular world view. This is indoctrination vs education.
kurt vonnegut
AG
AGC said:

Why are other people's beliefs a boundary to my rights? What makes my rights inferior? This is the question you aren't answering. That's why I cite public accommodation: the necessity of it has shriveled up and just about blown away. There are millions of florists, millions of cake bakers, etc. There are few barriers to entry anymore save for social media and extremely large companies (which is why these cases never involve them). If I started a Christian printing company and didn't sell to atheists who cares? Hop online and get it done another way probably for less.

Looking at schools let's ask the question: do they spend as much time teaching any religion as they do focusing on secular humanist morality? There are people who would encourage transitioning children even in high school. Is the school prepared to help transition them from atheist to Muslim? You frame this as a removal of privilege without acknowledging that it now privileges secular humanism. You treat your sexual ethic as the null hypothesis and don't teach anyone else's. You've replaced one privileged belief system with another and see nothing wrong with it because it's yours.

Side note: I think public accommodation is the way to treat social media privileging political viewpoints.

Hey everyone, AGC hates all non-white and non-Christians. He wants to murder all gay people and install Christian Sharia Law in America.

I see we are back to the making stuff up about me game. Literally nothing you just said applies to what I post on this forum or what I believe. Are you drunk? Do you not read my posts?

I'll back out of this thread back and forth with you. Its just not productive. . . . You are debating these issues with someone else, but certainly not with me.
Sapper Redux
ramblin_ag02 said:

Sapper Redux said:

I'm not claiming either is a perfect paragon of multicultural societies, but they were very attuned to the value of plural cultures and peoples. Rome did often dominate, but their typical modus operandi was to leave the institutions and leaders largely in place and incorporate aspects of those cultures into the broader Roman culture. Flat out obliteration of an opponent was rare and usually after decades or centuries of attempting integration.

Persia gets a bad wrap because of our bias towards Greek sources, but they were the preeminent military power for a long, long time and very much left their constituent populations to keep their cultures and traditions. Heck, it was a Persian emperor who rebuilt the Jewish temple in Jerusalem.
kurt vonnegut
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

Quote:

I don't believe in multicultural societies as lasting cohesive things. I don't believe in pluralism. It's a temporary power struggle, not a lasting social cohesion
I want to believe that people of different values, beliefs, cultures, languages, and identities can coexist peacefully under a very limited set of social standards that apply to everyone coupled with a lot of freedom. The older I get, the more that looks like a naive fantasy. Most people just aren't wired to live and let live. That goes for everything from national politics to the local HOA.

Conflict is inevitable with multiple cultures, but there are plenty of examples in this country of how that conflict can diminish over time. Think of Catholics, Irish, Jews, Japanese, etc. etc. I don't think it has to be fantasy.
Sapper Redux
DirtDiver said:

Quote:

Why should a government funded school teach sexuality at any level? The public school finds itself all too often teaching a one sided philosophical world view.

example: Philosophy of science (not scientific fact) on the origin of the universe. A one-sided philosophy of science without the other view represented.

Do you think that during the sexuality talk they would invite a conservative Christian pastor to speak to the biblical views on sin as it relates to sexuality? I don't think so. Given that, the student's receive a one sided secular world view. This is indoctrination vs education.

How many religious leaders would you like to invite? Will a Zoroastrian get to talk? How about a Hindu priest? Your very framing of the matter is in line with indoctrination. Public schools should teach science based on the scientific method and best, most recent findings. Despite you not liking it, those findings include that sex / sexuality / gender is more complicated than you'd like. If you want to promote a specific metaphysical philosophy you can do so on your own time.
Sapper Redux
AGC said:

ramblin_ag02 said:

Sapper Redux said:

Did the Persians take cultural elites and educate them before returning them like the Babylonians? Or disperse conquered peoples to other lands? I'm a little light on that history.

No. Elites of other cultures may go to the metropole for influence and education, but there was no active effort to force mass assimilation. More an effort to promote admiration for and fealty towards the empire. It's how you wind up with someone like Cyrus lauded by the Jews while they violently rebel against the Greeks. Almost like a federalist empire (though that's not a perfect metaphor).
AGC
AG
kurt vonnegut said:

AGC said:

Hey everyone, AGC hates all non-white and non-Christians. He wants to murder all gay people and install Christian Sharia Law in America.

I see we are back to the making stuff up about me game. Literally nothing you just said applies to what I post on this forum or what I believe. Are you drunk? Do you not read my posts?

I'll back out of this thread back and forth with you. Its just not productive. . . . You are debating these issues with someone else, but certainly not with me.

What a bizarre reaction. I've laid the groundwork for this response in several posts but you aren't reading them together for some reason.

You said you support my rights until it infringes on someone else's. I asked what the boundary is and why that's the boundary. I even listed specific ideas associated with my practice several posts back which lead to these examples. Public accommodation is an easy example of where this plays out with competing beliefs and rights. So is education. I'm trying to explore where these rights bump up against each other but you seem to get frustrated and take it really personally.

Privileging your morality instead of someone else's isn't being neutral. Removing it from the public space would be though. If you're totally against sex ed in education great! Let's get it out. But if you think it's ok we need to recognize that as your own personal belief system being privileged.
Sapper Redux
AGC said:

Sapper Redux said:

AGC said:

Sapper Redux said:

Quote:

1) The point is that the spectrum of human behavior isn't a basis from which to educate. It can easily be done other places if it's that important to you as a parent. 'Death' is different from murder and I don't consider murder an ideal thing for kids to have to engage with. A therapist is better than a public school educator. It must be developmentally appropriate and better still permitted by parents to discuss as kids within grades have different emotional maturity levels. You're trying to make the case that the liberal parent in a divorce is the standard. I'm making the case that they're the ****ty parent. Why look to the parent that lets a six year old stay up all night watching horror movies, joining random discord channels to play roblox unsupervised, and eating sugar for breakfast as a role model? The lowest common denominator should not be a standard for achievement.

2. Children don't belong to the state. Again, privileging your own morality is just another exercise of power. This is why post-modernism is a farce. It doesn't elevate all narratives, it subjugates many for a preferred one. If public school taught all moralities and beliefs as in depth as it does secular humanism we'd be having a very different discussion. You don't care about 'othering' because you think it's wrong; you care because you want it to happen to a different group than the current one.

This is a lot of deflection to justify making your beliefs the standard for education.
kurt vonnegut
AG
DirtDiver said:

Quote:

We need to define what we are talking about when we say 'teach sexuality'. Is a character having a romantic interest in a book 'teaching sexuality'? Is a book with a straight couple 'teaching sexuality' even if there is no explicit sex in the book? Look, I'm not suggesting the Village People come to your kid's elementary school to demonstrate the Rusty Trombone.

Here is an example. . . . Great Expectations is a classic book with a complex story line which includes the main character falling in love with a girl. There is no explicit material. No sex. Nothing profane. If this exact book were written with Pip and Esteban instead of Pip and Estella, would it be 'teaching sexuality'? Would it then be not appropriate? If your answer is no, then I think we are on the same page.

Other views of the origin of the universe should absolutely be taught in school. In a social studies class where they teach world religions and their beliefs. Science class should teach about things that follow verification through scientific method.

No, they should not invite a pastor to talk bout biblical views on sexuality. They also shouldn't invite a liberal to come in and talk about their moral views on sexuality. I think sex education should be fact based. Boys have this. Girls have that. This is how babies are made. STDs exist and are transmitted this way. The end.
Sapper Redux
AGC said:

kurt vonnegut said:

AGC said:

What a bizarre reaction. I've laid the groundwork for this response in several posts but you aren't reading them together for some reason.

You said you support my rights until it infringes on someone else's. I asked what the boundary is and why that's the boundary. I even listed specific ideas associated with my practice several posts back which lead to these examples. Public accommodation is an easy example of where this plays out with competing beliefs and rights. So is education. I'm trying to explore where these rights bump up against each other but you seem to get frustrated and take it really personally.

Privileging your morality instead of someone else's isn't being neutral. Removing it from the public space would be though. If you're totally against sex ed in education great! Let's get it out. But if you think it's ok we need to recognize that as your own personal belief system being privileged.

By your own logic we just shouldn't have public spaces. To include education.
kurt vonnegut
AG

I have not promoted public accommodation laws. Or said schools should encourage transitioning children. I have not asked for my views to have privilege.

I am frustrated. . . Your entire posts are strawman arguments. Like I said, you are not engaging my posts. You are projecting far left ideologies onto me and engaging those ideas. When you stop doing that, we can talk.
AGC
AG
Sapper Redux said:

AGC said:

Sapper Redux said:

AGC said:

Sapper Redux said:

Quote:

This is a lot of deflection to justify making your beliefs the standard for education.

Says guy doing the exact same thing.
barbacoa taco
AG
I wont go out on a limb and say that X never happens, because there's always one instance somewhere it did happen. But I will say I think it's a huge myth that schools are pushing some extreme gay agenda or something. I dont believe for a second schools are "encouraging" kids to be gay or trans. More like, some schools are simply teaching kids that LGBT people do exist and live among us. And this is something kids should be taught and be aware of so they aren't confused when they see these people in real life.

And this stuff can be taught without being explicit obviously. In fact I remember being taught this in my RELIGION class (Episcopal school) in Texas in the early 2000s. Something along the lines of "some people have two moms/two dads" etc.
AGC
AG
Sapper Redux said:

AGC said:

kurt vonnegut said:

AGC said:

By your own logic we just shouldn't have public spaces. To include education.

By your logic too. Elevating all other narratives leads to graduations for specific races, sexes, individual interpretations of all works of literature, etc.

I'm not positing anything that you disagree with EXCEPT your monopoly of state power to transmit it to the exclusion of my own beliefs with equal emphasis.
AGC
AG
kurt vonnegut said:

I have not promoted public accommodation laws. Or said schools should encourage transitioning children. I have not asked for my views to have privilege.

I am frustrated. . . Your entire posts are strawman arguments. Like I said, you are not engaging my posts. You are projecting far left ideologies onto me and engaging those ideas. When you stop doing that, we can talk.

Kurt tell me where my ability to practice my belief publicly stops. Give me a concrete example instead of an abstract. We live in the real world and inhabit physical places, not just metaphysical constructs. I'm trying to provide these but you're running away and calling them strawmen.
Beer Baron
AG

Quote:

I wont go out on a limb and say that X never happens, because there's always one instance somewhere it did happen. But I will say I think it's a huge myth that schools are pushing some extreme gay agenda or something. I dont believe for a second schools are "encouraging" kids to be gay or trans. More like, some schools are simply teaching kids that LGBT people do exist and live among us. And this is something kids should be taught and be aware of so they aren't confused when they see these people in real life.
I think the majority it's not even that they're teaching this, it's just that it comes up on its own regardless because there is a gay kid or a kid with gay parents and kids notice things. A simple answer to a simple question isn't "teaching" anything in a "here's a lesson on gay people" sense, and I don't know what people are supposed to say when Timmy has two mommies and the other kids wonder why.

Parents freak out when it comes up but usually a super simple answer is all the kid needs or wants. When my friend's kid first grasped the concept that sometimes adults are married to each other, we were at a party at his parents' house and he kept trying to figure out who went with who. When he asked which lady there was my wife. I just said "actually, that's my husband over there." He just said "ok" and went about his business and somehow he's still not a drag queen yet.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.