The Lord had mercy on this country

28,655 Views | 616 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by The Banned
one MEEN Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
larry culpepper said:

one MEEN Ag said:

Sapper Redux said:

There absolutely is a right to privacy and it is included in the substantive due process clauses of the 5th and 14th amendments. I'd also include the 9th and unenumerated rights.
As always with the abortion debate, the debate isn't about moral judgements directly, but facts, concepts, and if they apply to the situation. (All moral debates are built upon these three successive foundations. You can't have a morality discussion without agreeing on facts,concepts, and applications)

People who are against abortion declare it murder as it ends a new life that was created at conception. With that framework, the idea of privacy is immaterial. I don't get to murder people as long as its in private and after consulting with a doctor.

And the anti abortion crowd shoves that view down the entire country's throat and is trying to force everyone to accept it. The idea that life begins at conception is religious in nature and is not scientific. However, the Christian right equates aborting a fertilized egg to full-on murder of a fully formed, born baby.

We could debate all day about when it becomes a "baby" but that's where we have some real issues. You are telling prepubescent rape victims that they are required to put their bodies through the stresses of pregnancy, give birth, possibly risk their life, and deal with the baby, because YOU have a religious belief that a fertilized egg is a human being.
As always, here we go.

It is absolutely a scientific approach to say new life begins at conception. The creation of new human DNA from two donor parents as a part of sexual reproduction. Anything short of an egg and a sperm meeting does not set into motion new life. No eggs and sperm meeting = no new humans. It absolutely is the genesis of life. Anything moving off of conception as the formation of new life is relying on philosophical ideas of personhood. Where do you draw the line when a fetus is declared a human? When it starts to look human at the end of the first trimester? When there's a heartbeat and stimulus response? When the youngest preemies have survived birth due to technology? They are all more wishy washy than conception as a genesis of life.

You're using the one off idea of a statutory rape victim as the reason to allow...a million abortions a year. .000001% occurrence, which there are the most easily agreeable laws to account for, is your rally cry to let anyone get an abortion at any stage of fetal development for any reason.

Weak.
one MEEN Ag
AG
larry culpepper said:

one MEEN Ag said:

For the sappers and dr pepper drinkers playing along at work,

If the constitution can't be evaluated as it is written with supporting interpretations from the framers themselves (Which is what originalist constitutional view is) by what means do you interpret the constitution or declare its authority from?

The whole point of a governing document is that the words mean something. The idea that 'we shouldn't have a bill of rights because it might limit your rights is nonsense. There wasn't a word limit, or an end to the time period where more rights can be amended. We live in a world where if your rights aren't directly written down and explicitly protected, expect the government to trample all over them.

The first amendment alone is unparalleled to this day around the world. No other country has codified that the government cannot interfere on you having a thought, speaking that thought, writing that thought down, and congregating upon it. But Sapper and Culpepper are over here saying that stuff is bunk because some founders owned slaves.

What a joke.
I have a problem with originalism because it's nonsensical to think like we're living 240 years ago when trying to interpret the text. Times change and the country changes with it. For example, marriage over time began to confer certain benefits and rights to people. This ended up creating an unequal class of citizens (gay couples). That's where the constitutional basis for Obergefell came from, even though they obviously werent thinking of gay couples in 1868.

The right selectively uses originalism anyway. If we used true originalism then the second amendment would only guarantee the right to muskets. It's completely asinine to act like the founders intended unfettered right to any powerful firearm you could possibly want in the 21st century.

I'm not saying it's "bunk" because they owned slaves. I'm just pushing back on the BS we've been fed our whole lives that the founders were brilliant, benevolent minds we should look up to. They had some great ideas (like the First Amendment), but honestly, they were incredibly full of ***** They were slaveowners who thought women shouldn't vote and had the nerve to say "all men are created equal." Looking up to them as infallible arbiters of truth is not a good idea. They were wrong on a lot of things, and it's perfectly okay to reject some ideas they had back then. But if you question the founding fathers, someone will call you a communist.
What an absolute crock. Passage of time has no relevance on morality. It is absolute. What is right and wrong is eternal. Anything less is cultural relativism and opinions.

The government has no leg to stand on with the expansion of marriage. Marriage by definition is the wedding of a man and woman. Gay marriage is an oxymoron in its truest definition. The supreme court did exactly what you wanted and exactly what they don't have the power to do. They just invented a 'right' out of thin air. Now if america wants to declare itself out of the marriage business but in the civil union business I'm happy to see that happen. Gay couples in a monogamous relationship should have the same protections of taxes, inheritance, legal and medical powers as those who are married if they want them.

Using the 2nd amendment is rich. During the formation of this country, private citizens owned flintlock rifles, cannons, and a warship. An equivalent distribution of arms technology. I would love to have the same amount of access to firepower as the government today. And it makes sense, because its not about hunting its about fighting back against tyranny. And if the government seizes your cannons and warships but not your flintlock rifles, they've impaired your ability to form a resistance.

The founders were brilliant and benevolent. Look around at other countries. See what governments they've created and what founding principles they had. Everything good the founders did aligns with natural rights. Everything subpar they produced is when they didn't. You don't have a framework to accept or reject their governance. Its just what feels good. And that is the weakest form of authority derivation.
barbacoa taco
AG

Quote:

Quote:

We could debate all day about when it becomes a "baby" but that's where we have some real issues. You are telling prepubescent rape victims that they are required to put their bodies through the stresses of pregnancy, give birth, possibly risk their life, and deal with the baby, because YOU have a religious belief that a fertilized egg is a human being.
Rape and incest are 1% and 0.5% of all abortions, respectively. Why focus on the 1%?
BECAUSE. IT. MATTERS. Abortion bans are being passed left and right with no exception for rape or incest. I get this response all the time. YOUR party passed laws that don't allow for those exceptions. So I'm fully justified in bringing up situations of 8-year olds being violently raped by their fathers and then being held at gunpoint to carry the pregnancy to term, possibly F up her body for life, and deal with her child/sibling.

People bring up the fact that these situations are rare to dismiss them. No, I'm not going to ignore this situation because it's rare. It's a situation that is going to happen because of the laws you endorse. Yes it's a horribly graphic mental image. It's also a sad reality.

There are reasons many of us are pro-choice. This is one of them.
AGC
AG
larry culpepper said:

Quote:

Quote:

Rape and incest are 1% and 0.5% of all abortions, respectively. Why focus on the 1%?
BECAUSE. IT. MATTERS. Abortion bans are being passed left and right with no exception for rape or incest. I get this response all the time. YOUR party passed laws that don't allow for those exceptions. So I'm fully justified in bringing up situations of 8-year olds being violently raped by their fathers and then being held at gunpoint to carry the pregnancy to term, possibly F up her body for life, and deal with her child/sibling.

People bring up the fact that these situations are rare to dismiss them. No, I'm not going to ignore this situation because it's rare. It's a situation that is going to happen because of the laws you endorse. Yes it's a horribly graphic mental image. It's also a sad reality.

Have you thought about the other scenario? The one where her father gets to continue his abuse for a decade because he's been able to abort every child conceived and cover it up?

Edit: You're not helping this girl unless she needs to kill her baby?

Edit 2: nine months is a long time to hold someone at gunpoint. Uber eats / door dash must be making mint off this guy.
barbacoa taco
AG
one MEEN Ag said:

larry culpepper said:

one MEEN Ag said:

If the constitution can't be evaluated as it is written with supporting interpretations from the framers themselves (Which is what originalist constitutional view is) by what means do you interpret the constitution or declare its authority from?

The whole point of a governing document is that the words mean something. The idea that 'we shouldn't have a bill of rights because it might limit your rights is nonsense. There wasn't a word limit, or an end to the time period where more rights can be amended. We live in a world where if your rights aren't directly written down and explicitly protected, expect the government to trample all over them.

The first amendment alone is unparalleled to this day around the world. No other country has codified that the government cannot interfere on you having a thought, speaking that thought, writing that thought down, and congregating upon it. But Sapper and Culpepper are over here saying that stuff is bunk because some founders owned slaves.

What a joke.
I have a problem with originalism because it's nonsensical to think like we're living 240 years ago when trying to interpret the text. Times change and the country changes with it. For example, marriage over time began to confer certain benefits and rights to people. This ended up creating an unequal class of citizens (gay couples). That's where the constitutional basis for Obergefell came from, even though they obviously werent thinking of gay couples in 1868.

The right selectively uses originalism anyway. If we used true originalism then the second amendment would only guarantee the right to muskets. It's completely asinine to act like the founders intended unfettered right to any powerful firearm you could possibly want in the 21st century.

I'm not saying it's "bunk" because they owned slaves. I'm just pushing back on the BS we've been fed our whole lives that the founders were brilliant, benevolent minds we should look up to. They had some great ideas (like the First Amendment), but honestly, they were incredibly full of ***** They were slaveowners who thought women shouldn't vote and had the nerve to say "all men are created equal." Looking up to them as infallible arbiters of truth is not a good idea. They were wrong on a lot of things, and it's perfectly okay to reject some ideas they had back then. But if you question the founding fathers, someone will call you a communist.
What an absolute crock. Passage of time has no relevance on morality. It is absolute. What is right and wrong is eternal. Anything less is cultural relativism and opinions.

The government has no leg to stand on with the expansion of marriage. Marriage by definition is the wedding of a man and woman. Gay marriage is an oxymoron in its truest definition. The supreme court did exactly what you wanted and exactly what they don't have the power to do. They just invented a 'right' out of thin air. Now if america wants to declare itself out of the marriage business but in the civil union business I'm happy to see that happen. Gay couples in a monogamous relationship should have the same protections of taxes, inheritance, legal and medical powers as those who are married if they want them.

Using the 2nd amendment is rich. During the formation of this country, private citizens owned flintlock rifles, cannons, and a warship. An equivalent distribution of arms technology. I would love to have the same amount of access to firepower as the government today. And it makes sense, because its not about hunting its about fighting back against tyranny. And if the government seizes your cannons and warships but not your flintlock rifles, they've impaired your ability to form a resistance.

The founders were brilliant and benevolent. Look around at other countries. See what governments they've created and what founding principles they had. Everything good the founders did aligns with natural rights. Everything subpar they produced is when they didn't. You don't have a framework to accept or reject their governance. Its just what feels good. And that is the weakest form of authority derivation.
I do not believe in absolute morality. But either way, morality isn't within the government's purview. I'm saying that as times change, we change with it. We've applied old text to lots of modern-day situations. The drafters of the 14th amendment likely weren't thinking of a lot of people at the time of drafting. Women couldn't vote for another 50 years. Blacks were still treated as second class for another hundred years. We continued to justify all of that until we couldn't anymore. That's the biggest problem I have with originalism. It's dishonest.

We draw lines where we want them is my point. And i'm not here to say how awful the founding fathers were, but more so to stand up and explicitly question them. We're not obligated to treat them as any better than people today. They knew much less than we do now.

The First Amendment is probably the one stipulation in the Bill of Rights that is truly timeless and will never be outdated. The Second Amendment was horribly written and needs lots of clarification (it's not even a proper sentence). The best we have now is partisan judges interpreting it how they want. The Third Amendment is outdated and almost entirely inapplicable to the people of today. The rest of the BOR is good but could possibly use some more updating, like what constitutes "cruel and unusual punishment." Back in the day, brutal execution wasn't cruel and unusual. Now it is, but the death penalty alone is not.

Point being, question everything. We aren't beholden to truths of 2 centuries ago.
nortex97
AG
larry culpepper said:

Quote:

Quote:

Well you are dismissing the other 99 to 99.5%, and other people's moral concerns, which of course you rank as stupid/irrelevant vs. your own.

If you don't like laws states are passing…work to elect people in your state that will pass laws more to your liking. It's that simple, and it's not even an R/P board matter, to be frank.
Zobel
AG
I don't understand how abortion for an eight year old corrects them being violently raped by their father. If anything it potentially allows it to continue.

No one is dismissing these cases. I've said many times on this forum to people of your ilk that I'll gladly allow for cases of rape and incest to discuss the 99% which are for convenience. No one ever moves forward from that point because - spoiler alert - it isn't about the 1% of cases, it is about the 99%.

You know what else is a sad reality? 64 million children aborted for reasons that have nothing to do with rape and incest.
Zobel
AG

Quote:

They knew much less than we do now.
Like, for example, that a child can be born alive and saved at 21 weeks and 5 days.

Quote:

That's the biggest problem I have with originalism. It's dishonest...And i'm not here to say how awful the founding fathers were, but more so to stand up and explicitly question them

It's painfully obvious you don't understand what originalism is.
Macarthur
Since you like high percentages.

over 90% of all abortions are in the first trimester. That is not a bady. That is not a child.

And I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but I don't care the reason for the abortion. If a woman chooses to not want to have a baby, she should have that choice.

Zobel
AG

Quote:

That is not a bady. That is not a child.
Opinion stated as fact.

Quote:

And I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but I don't care the reason for the abortion. If a woman chooses to not want to have a baby, she should have that choice.
Of course - and she does have that choice. Just like men have a choice not to become fathers. It isn't as if pregnancies just happen or we don't understand the causes.
Macarthur
No, it is a fact that it is a fetus.
Macarthur
Zobel said:

I don't understand how abortion for an eight year old corrects them being violently raped by their father. If anything it potentially allows it to continue.

No one is dismissing these cases. I've said many times on this forum to people of your ilk that I'll gladly allow for cases of rape and incest to discuss the 99% which are for convenience. No one ever moves forward from that point because - spoiler alert - it isn't about the 1% of cases, it is about the 99%.

You know what else is a sad reality? 64 million children aborted for reasons that have nothing to do with rape and incest.

Also, keep in mind that most sexual assault and rape cases go unreported.

https://www.rainn.org/statistics/criminal-justice-system
AGC
AG
Macarthur said:

Nominalism.
barbacoa taco
AG
Zobel said:

Because it allows the child to not have to undergo the extremely stressful and taxing pregnancy process? And to not have to take a huge risk to her health by giving birth?

I'll address the 99% too then. I believe abortion should be legal, subject to limitations, because I don't believe it's murder when it's done early in the pregnancy. I don't necessarily like it, but I understand that each woman has a unique situation. This can range from poverty, to abusive spouses, to ectopic pregnancies, to fetal abnormalities, to risks to her health. I don't believe that a bunch of other people know what's better for her than she does. Lots of them are coming from very serious situations.

"ok well then you shouldnt have sex." well they did. people do. many people are safe about it, and the abortion rate has been in steady decline since the 80s. And now lawmakers are going after things like Plan B, morning after pill, and other BC methods because they think only married couples should have sex and solely for the purpose of children. All of this is just enforcement of one's personal morality on others.

I know you don't agree with that and think all abortions are murder. So, i'm not going to win you over there. But I am going to push back on the rampant misinformation on abortion we hear time and time again (e.g. that many abortions are performed days before birth)
Zobel
AG

Quote:

Oxford English Dictionary - an unborn offspring of a mammal, in particular an unborn human baby more than eight weeks after conception.

Webster - specifically : a developing human from usually two months after conception to birth

Quote:

I wasn't relying on reports, I was relying on self-reported reasons women give for abortions.
barbacoa taco
AG
Zobel said:

Quote:

They knew much less than we do now.
Like, for example, that a child can be born alive and saved at 21 weeks and 5 days.

I'm fine with abortion limitations. 15 weeks is reasonable.

Quote:

Quote:

That's the biggest problem I have with originalism. It's dishonest...And i'm not here to say how awful the founding fathers were, but more so to stand up and explicitly question them

It's painfully obvious you don't understand what originalism is.
I have read Scalia's opinions and listened to him speak. I know what it is. And i think it's very flawed to always try to interpret text as it was originally intended and apply it to today.
AGC
AG
larry culpepper said:

Zobel said:

Because it allows the child to not have to undergo the extremely stressful and taxing pregnancy process? And to not have to take a huge risk to her health by giving birth?

I'll address the 99% too then. I believe abortion should be legal, subject to limitations, because I don't believe it's murder when it's done early in the pregnancy. I don't necessarily like it, but I understand that each woman has a unique situation. This can range from poverty, to abusive spouses, to ectopic pregnancies, to fetal abnormalities, to risks to her health. I don't believe that a bunch of other people know what's better for her than she does. Lots of them are coming from very serious situations.

"ok well then you shouldnt have sex." well they did. people do. many people are safe about it, and the abortion rate has been in steady decline since the 80s. And now lawmakers are going after things like Plan B, morning after pill, and other BC methods because they think only married couples should have sex and solely for the purpose of children. All of this is just enforcement of one's personal morality on others.

I know you don't agree with that and think all abortions are murder. So, i'm not going to win you over there. But I am going to push back on the rampant misinformation on abortion we hear time and time again (e.g. that many abortions are performed days before birth)

How can you compartmentalize the trauma of the eight year old being abused? How taxing and stressful is that compared to the pregnancy man? This is yet another example of your focus on the 1%. Compared to the hell this child lives in, having her pregnancy discovered would be a god send because it could shatter the secrecy of it.
Macarthur
Zobel said:

Quote:

Oxford English Dictionary - an unborn offspring of a mammal, in particular an unborn human baby more than eight weeks after conception.

Webster - specifically : a developing human from usually two months after conception to birth

Quote:

I wasn't relying on reports, I was relying on self-reported reasons women give for abortions.

No one is questioning that it's a 'developing human'. I

But it is a fetus and the prob with you wanting to ascribe words like 'baby' and 'child' is you are making emotional pleas which is what you so often accuse the left of doing.

AGC
AG
Macarthur said:

Zobel said:

Quote:

Quote:

No one is questioning that it's a 'developing human'. I

But it is a fetus and the prob with you wanting to ascribe words like 'baby' and 'child' is you are making emotional pleas which is what you so often accuse the left of doing.

Is human a social construct?
one MEEN Ag
AG
larry culpepper said:

one MEEN Ag said:

larry culpepper said:

one MEEN Ag said:

What a joke.

I do not believe in absolute morality. But either way, morality isn't within the government's purview. I'm saying that as times change, we change with it. We've applied old text to lots of modern-day situations. The drafters of the 14th amendment likely weren't thinking of a lot of people at the time of drafting. Women couldn't vote for another 50 years. Blacks were still treated as second class for another hundred years. We continued to justify all of that until we couldn't anymore. That's the biggest problem I have with originalism. It's dishonest.

We draw lines where we want them is my point. And i'm not here to say how awful the founding fathers were, but more so to stand up and explicitly question them. We're not obligated to treat them as any better than people today. They knew much less than we do now.

The First Amendment is probably the one stipulation in the Bill of Rights that is truly timeless and will never be outdated. The Second Amendment was horribly written and needs lots of clarification (it's not even a proper sentence). The best we have now is partisan judges interpreting it how they want. The Third Amendment is outdated and almost entirely inapplicable to the people of today. The rest of the BOR is good but could possibly use some more updating, like what constitutes "cruel and unusual punishment." Back in the day, brutal execution wasn't cruel and unusual. Now it is, but the death penalty alone is not.

Point being, question everything. We aren't beholden to truths of 2 centuries ago.
You a fundamental lack of understanding about how laws derive authority. Morality is upstream of law creation. A law is only good if it aligns with moral goodness. A law, by itself, is just a vehicle to legislate morality. You can have bad laws. Laws that ban speech, free movement, harassment. The fact they are laws does not give them moral authority.

Law creation (government) is completely and wholly within the purview of applying morality.

YOU draw lines where you want and project them on everyone else here. I didn't choose to say life begins at conception. Thats the facts of life. Again, absolute truth is absolute. I do not choose right and wrong for myself. You do because you think you have that authority-you don't.

And to say that america doesn't need the third amendment is just another example of you choosing to draw lines arbitrarily (we don't use it, lets discard it). As if amendments are like cleaning out a cupboard. If you had payed attention to high school history class you'd understand why its important to not have quartered soldiers in your home and why its a nice enduring freedom to have. America has been blessed with incredible geography, resources, and a coast to coast territory that is not balkanized with enemies nearby. Thats why its never been tested or needed.

The second amendment is plainly written, its is our modern interpretation of 'well regulated' that has allowed anti-gun opportunist to jump in and carve it up. In its context and historical use, well regulated just means practiced. A militia hasn't changed-its made up on volunteer men of their own resources.

Cruel and unusual is your only leg to stand on, and its only because of technology that cruel and unusual has shifted the cultural view over time. Being shot by a firing squad in a near instant lights out is not cruel nor unusual. Being hung at the right length to immediately snap your neck is not cruel and unusual. It is only the presence of technology that people have a relative comparison and shock. I would love it if all the states switched to nitrogen asphyxiation for capital punishments. Just painlessly and drunkenly go to sleep. Shoot, do it like animals and just do an anesthetic overdose. (hard because of the hippocratic oath and drug protests). Yes, it gives perpetrator a better death than whoever they killed, but they're still dead at the end of the day.

Macarthur
I know you think this is some clever gotcha, but it's not

Human in the factual sense that it has human DNA and will eventually be a viable baby (in most cases).
Zobel
AG

Quote:

I'm fine with abortion limitations. 15 weeks is reasonable.
I think 15 weeks is unreasonable. Since we disagree, you should live in a state where people choose to govern themselves in such a way where they do what you think is reasonable. Or work within the political system to influence the state you choose to live in to align to your beliefs.

Quote:

I have read Scalia's opinions and listened to him speak. I know what it is. And i think it's very flawed to always try to interpret text as it was originally intended and apply it to today.
The weird thing is that up until now you hadn't talked about interpretation as originally intended but instead talking about asinine things like "questioning everything" and "being beholden to truths of 2 centuries ago" and whether or not they were wrong, or questioning the founding fathers. Those are unrelated. Understanding original intention and interpreting with those guidelines is tangential at best to whether that original intent is good, bad, or indifferent.

It's also clear that the reason you choose this rhetorical tack is not because you think its flawed on the face but because you don't care for the law as written.
Zobel
AG
I never once have heard an expecting mother talk about hearing the first heartbeat of her unborn child and say "that is a fetus and not a baby or my child."

It is not an emotional plea; it is a human, developing as much as a first or second or third trimester is, or indeed as much as a first year or second or eighth year child is - none of whom are fully developed.

You are trying to drive a wedge between being and not being a human based on an arbitrary stage of development. It's not scientific and has nothing to do with emotion.
Zobel
AG
Male in the factual sense that it has male (y chromosome) dna or nah?
AGC
AG
Macarthur said:

I know you think this is some clever gotcha, but it's not

Human in the factual sense that it has human DNA and will eventually be a viable baby (in most cases).

It's not a gotcha. It's obviously not a social construct but I need to know you know that before we go further because you continually refer to babies as a 'fetus' rather than human.

So we must ask why? You claim it's to avoid emotion and I think this works against you. To avoid making a human personal and relatable speaks directly to your morality. You're intentionally dehumanizing people to justify your beliefs. This is a big red flag. How can you claim that dehumanizing people is moral? How can you claim any moral authority at all when you arbitrarily pick and choose who is and isn't human?
nortex97
AG
Macarthur said:

Since you like high percentages.

over 90% of all abortions are in the first trimester. That is not a bady. That is not a child.

I like reality. Restricting nationally to 15 weeks would save tens of thousands per year, disproportionately blacks and minorities.

You must be bitterly disappointed that a terrible organization like Jackson Women's Health sued precisely to make sure they had unfettered late term abortion services to offer in Mississippi, and then that suit wound up resulting in the federal 'guarantee' of abortion 'rights' being torn up.

You may not care about the ramifications/rationalizations of any abortions, but as Mother Theresa said, there are two deaths involved; a conscience and a child.

Finally, yes it is a human child. 8 to 11 weeks old they feel pain. Just inconvenient science to some.

Quote:

In The Abortion Providers video, surgeon Robert P. N. Shearin states that:
Quote:

As early as eight to ten weeks after conception, and definitely by thirteen-and-a-half weeks, the unborn experiences organic pain […] First, the unborn child's mouth, at eight weeks, then her hands at ten weeks, then her face, arms, and legs at eleven weeks become sensitive to touch. By thirteen-and-a-half weeks, she responds to pain at all levels of her nervous system in an integrated response which cannot be termed a mere reflex. She can now experience pain.
At 18 weeks gestation, it has been shown that the preborn child will exhibit stress responses to painful stimuli.

Additionally, Maureen Condic, Ph.D., an Associate Professor of Neurobiology and Anatomy at the University of Utah, testified that fetuses feel pain at eight weeks gestation when the spinal circuitry for pain detection is established.

"The debate over fetal pain is not whether pain is experienced by a fetus at 20 weeks," she explained.

"There's essentially universal agreement on this point in the scientific community. Rather the debate
concerns how pain is experienced. Whether a fetus has the same pain experience as a newborn or adult."

Abortion ends human lives, and it has been repeatedly proven that those lives are capable of feeling the pain of being dismembered or injected with a needle to stop their hearts, or suctioned from their mother's wombs. Former abortionist Dr. Anthony Levatino explains in the video below:

Macarthur
one MEEN Ag said:

We've sent pages on threads talking about this. morality has absolutely evolved over time.

Quote:

The government has no leg to stand on with the expansion of marriage. Marriage by definition is the wedding of a man and woman. Gay marriage is an oxymoron in its truest definition.

Who says?

Quote:

YOU draw lines where you want and project them on everyone else here. I didn't choose to say life begins at conception.. Thats the facts of life.

But it really doesn't. A developing fetus is the definition of a parasite. It absolutely must have a host to live.

Quote:

Again, absolute truth is absolute.

Yeah, No, it doesn't.

Zobel
AG

Quote:

But it really doesn't. A developing fetus is the definition of a parasite. It absolutely must have a host to live.
So does a nursing infant. And an adult human who is incapacitated, or in a coma.
Macarthur
Yeah, you'll get no where with me quoting Mother Theresa.
Sapper Redux
Zobel said:

Quote:

So does a nursing infant. And an adult human who is incapacitated, or in a coma.

Those don't require hosts. I think you should review the definition of a host.
Macarthur
Zobel said:

I never once have heard an expecting mother talk about hearing the first heartbeat of her unborn child and say "that is a fetus and not a baby or my child."

It is not an emotional plea; it is a human, developing as much as a first or second or third trimester is, or indeed as much as a first year or second or eighth year child is - none of whom are fully developed.

You are trying to drive a wedge between being and not being a human based on an arbitrary stage of development. It's not scientific and has nothing to do with emotion.

I've said on these threads before that I think there is room on this issue as it relates to viability.

Zobel
AG
Newborn qualifies certainly. And host isn't always a parasitic relationship - see remora on shark, for example.

At any rate whatever applies to a first trimester baby absolutely applies to a child up to the point of birth. Again, arbitrary lines to dehumanize.
Zobel
AG
Viability doesn't define being a human. Another arbitrary limit. If technology advances and viability moves, being a human definition changes. That's idiotic.
Serotonin
AG
Zobel said:

Quote:

So are all humans, who are parasites on other species and plants for survival.

This is where we have to have common sense about maxims and conversation.

Defining a pregnant woman as having a 'parasite' growing in her stomach is such a bizarre framing of language and concepts that it leads to outrageous conclusions.
Macarthur
Zobel said:

Viability doesn't define being a human. Another arbitrary limit. If technology advances and viability moves, being a human definition changes. That's idiotic.

I guess you can keep using this word but I don't see it as some sort of negative.

By your definition, a fertilized egg is a human and I think most folks would agree that kinda silly. So that means, ultimately, we're going to end up in some 'arbitrary' place, as you put it.

Also, I think technology most likely won't advance in a manner that the point of viability keeps being lowered.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.