The Lord had mercy on this country

28,043 Views | 616 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by The Banned
AGC
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Macarthur said:

You know, i do find it interesting the last link I posted is getting completely ignored and that's what an actual human 'fetus' looks like at 8 or 10 weeks. The right loves to use the 6 week heartbeat argument which is complete nonsense. In my mind, it only strengthens the argument that, early in the pregnancy, this is a medical procedure 100%

Looks just like my children did at that stage of development (and you, and everyone else here that's pro-abortion). It's pretty conclusively human.
The Banned
Macarthur said:

You know, i do find it interesting the last link I posted is getting completely ignored and that's what an actual human 'fetus' looks like at 8 or 10 weeks. The right loves to use the 6 week heartbeat argument which is complete nonsense. In my mind, it only strengthens the argument that, early in the pregnancy, this is a medical procedure 100%

What is the genetic makeup of that fetus (read: child)? I've seen my fair share of horribly gruesome veterans who don't even resemble their former selves after their burns. I'm sure you can find an example or two that leaves humans looking less than. If we want to go off of looks, there are any number of people who won't make it. In utero or after. Taken to the extreme, you end up with blond hair and blue eyes only (not invoking the "you're hitler" fallacy but still showing how this argument is same in kind)

Or we can look at the science of a truly unique sequence of human DNA and realize this is a new human life regardless of how he/she looks at the moment.

Or we can use the common sense of a woman showing her husband a pregnancy test at 5 weeks and understanding their simultaneous joy of new life and fear the new life won't make it. Or the girlfriend showing the boyfriend the positive test and his immediate horror.

That's the great thing about finding a base level of agreement. If you want to agree that how someone looks determines whether or not they're a human worthy of life, you'll find yourself in bad company. If you want to use genetics or common sense, I think you'll end up tying yourself into knots to come to a "pro-choice" conclusion
Macarthur
The Banned said:

Macarthur said:

What is the genetic makeup of that fetus (read: child)? I've seen my fair share of horribly gruesome veterans who don't even resemble their former selves after their burns. I'm sure you can find an example or two that leaves humans looking less than. If we want to go off of looks, there are any number of people who won't make it. In utero or after. Taken to the extreme, you end up with blond hair and blue eyes only (not invoking the "you're hitler" fallacy but still showing how this argument is same in kind)

Or we can look at the science of a truly unique sequence of human DNA and realize this is a new human life regardless of how he/she looks at the moment.

Or we can use the common sense of a woman showing her husband a pregnancy test at 5 weeks and understanding their simultaneous joy of new life and fear the new life won't make it. Or the girlfriend showing the boyfriend the positive test and his immediate horror.

That's the great thing about finding a base level of agreement. If you want to agree that how someone looks determines whether or not they're a human worthy of life, you'll find yourself in bad company. If you want to use genetics or common sense, I think you'll end up tying yourself into knots to come to a "pro-choice" conclusion

That's not the point, and you know it. Yes, that fetus is a human from the standpoint of dna and the fact that it will be a person, at some point. But a 6 week old fetus and a fully formed adult human is not the same issue.
barbacoa taco
AG
Interestingly, arguments like the one posed by that poster are an example of the emotionality of pro-life arguments.

The notion that a 6 week old fetus is a baby is ridiculous. But saying it's a baby is a great way to appeal to emotion. Like look at a picture of a cute newborn. Then they say "wow, you want to murder that precious little baby??" Of course, this is an emotionally manipulative, dishonest representation of the pro-choice position.

Yeah, a 6-week old fetus has human DNA (duh). But at that point, the mother's rights trump the rights of the unborn, undeveloped fetus (if any).
88Warrior
larry culpepper said:

Interestingly, arguments like the one posed by that poster are an example of the emotionality of pro-life arguments.

The notion that a 6 week old fetus is a baby is ridiculous. But saying it's a baby is a great way to appeal to emotion. Like look at a picture of a cute newborn. Then they say "wow, you want to murder that precious little baby??" Of course, this is an emotionally manipulative, dishonest representation of the pro-choice position.

Yeah, a 6-week old fetus has human DNA (duh). But at that point, the mother's rights trump the rights of the unborn, undeveloped fetus (if any).

Larry the only one getting emotional/yelling on here is you…..
barbacoa taco
AG
yet my position is supported by facts and data and yours is based on emotion and religion.

also did you read the OP? it's a huge admonishment of how depraved we are as a country and how we've turned our backs on God because of abortion. Talk about emotion.
88Warrior
larry culpepper said:

yet my position is supported by facts and data and yours is based on emotion and religion.

also did you read the OP? it's a huge admonishment of how depraved we are as a country and how we've turned our backs on God because of abortion. Talk about emotion.

What exactly is my position Larry? Since I haven't posted on this thread it would be hard for you to know….After reading through the thread I just found your argument against the religious folks being emotional as hypocritical…But that's just you I guess…
barbacoa taco
AG
Not 100% sure but based on your posts here and in the past I'd imagine it's pretty in line with the mainstream conservative position on abortion. If I'm wrong please tell me.

And as I stated in a prior post... the topic of abortion is touchy and emotional, but there are reasonable, logical arguments to be made.
jkag89
The Pro-Choice side use emotional appeals at least as much as the Pro-Life side.
Sapper Redux
AGC said:

Macarthur said:

Looks just like my children did at that stage of development (and you, and everyone else here that's pro-abortion). It's pretty conclusively human.

So is a sperm. Don't see you demanding to save every one of those.
Sapper Redux
AGC said:

Macarthur said:

You are acting like you are coming from a position of wisdom yet nothing could be further from the truth.

You object to abortions on religious grounds...period.

And you certainly have that right, but you shouldn't get to impose your religious belief on someone else. And all the rest is just chatter.

Another man deciding what women should and shouldn't be able to do I see.

I'm sure this seemed clever in your head.
Macarthur
jkag89 said:

The Pro-Choice side use emotional appeals at least as much as the Pro-Life side.
You consider wanting bodily autonomy emotional?
jkag89
You are simply tone-deaf if you can't see um hear the emotional appeals from the Pro-Choice side following the Dobbs decision.
Macarthur
I would never say there isn't an emotional element to both sides.

And I'm sure some folks get emotional specifically about wanting bodily autonomy, but that is a pretty valid rights issue that can be detached from emotions.
Macarthur
As humans, we can never 100% detach emotion from these issues no matter how much we like to think of ourselves as rational. Just because there's an emotional element to something, doesn't automatically make it invalid.
jkag89
That was simply the point of my response to larry.
barbacoa taco
AG
I've stated that there is emotion on both sides because abortion is an emotional topic. But most of what I hear from the pro life side is appeals to emotion and religion. Exhibit a, the OP.
jkag89
Go back and read again my reply to your post.
The Banned
Macarthur said:

The Banned said:

Macarthur said:

That's not the point, and you know it. Yes, that fetus is a human from the standpoint of dna and the fact that it will be a person, at some point. But a 6 week old fetus and a fully formed adult human is not the same issue.

That is completely arbitrary. It is not a human person to you because you say so. Not based on any objective reasoning.

Viability is subjective based on the science of the times. We are within a couple decades of artificial wombs. Is a 6 week baby a baby then because science can save it?

Looks are subjective as that can change. What exactly does it need to look like in order to become a human? Who gets to determine it looks human enough?

Cognitive ability is arbitrary because who's gets to determine what is cognitive enough? We've seen secular philosophers discussing personhood not starting until 3 years old (or older). What about people in a coma? No cognitive function but still a person. It's All subjective.

Dependent upon the mother for life doesn't work, as the baby would be dependent upon her for many more months. Years really.

The reason we point to separate human dna as the dividing line is because it is crystal clear. It's not the moms body. It's not the dads. It is independent. For as much as conservatives get accused of using religion only, we have an argument that many atheists can get behind (see the secular pro-life movement): Clear definitions, scientifically backed. It's a human.

After that we can debate whether or not moms should be able to end it's life, but let's not pretend it's not it's own unique organism. But most people in this country are against killing other people, which is why de-personing the "fetus" is so important.
Macarthur
https://slate.com/technology/2022/11/abortion-texas-roe-v-wade-data-maternal-morbidity.html
Zobel
AG
Paper says:

"Senate Bill 4 states that a physician administering medicine to end a pregnancy even in the setting of a maternal medical emergency has committed a felony."

This is, in fact, untrue. SB 4 says:
Subchapter D, Chapter 171, Health and Safety Code, is amended by adding Sections 171.0631, 171.0632, 171.065, and 171.066 to read as follows:

Sec. 171.065. CRIMINAL OFFENSE. (a) A person who intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly violates this subchapter commits an offense. An offense under this subsection is a state jail felony.

But chapter 171 says:

If an abortion is performed or induced on a pregnant woman because of a medical emergency, the physician who performs or induces the abortion shall execute a written document that certifies the abortion is necessary due to a medical emergency and specifies the woman's medical condition requiring the abortion.

A person may not intentionally perform a dismemberment abortion unless the dismemberment abortion is necessary in a medical emergency.

EXCEPTION FOR MEDICAL EMERGENCY…Sections 171.203 and 171.204 do not apply if a physician believes a medical emergency exists that prevents compliance with this subchapter.

"Medical emergency" means a life-threatening physical condition aggravated by, caused by, or arising from a pregnancy that, as certified by a physician, places the woman in danger of death or a serious risk of substantial impairment of a major bodily function unless an abortion is performed.
The Banned
I had a long post written out but decided to delete that and start here. What exactly is this supposed to mean?

"We started her labor that evening; by the morning, she was delivered of her pregnancy."

No "the baby did not survive". "Attempts to help the baby were unfruitful". "The mother held her baby as it passed".

This line right here is why I struggle to believe one damn thing that comes from these sources. If that's how you're going to refer to a partial birth dismemberment abortion of a 22 week old baby, how am I supposed to interpret the rest of what you say?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.