Addiction

3,378 Views | 62 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Average Guy
Malibu
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AGC said:

Malibu2 said:

I no longer drink alcohol (going on 4 years now) as it has caused problems and I've just concluded that some things in life aren't for me. I also never buy Oreos because the whole box will be gone in 1-2 days. In high school I wisely concluded that owning a video game console was going to hold back my academic potential and haven't owned one since Nintendo 64. I also like gambling, psychedelic drugs, long distance running (those sweet sweet endorphins), and posting on TexAgs. In short, I have an addictive personality and have had to engineer my life and choices around my natural predispositions.

More interestingly, my father was adopted and through ancestry.com I was able to figure who his birth parents were. I also read some newspaper articles about my biological paternal grandfather's frequent stints in jail with DWI, and his ultimate death from drinking related liver problems. That made me feel somewhat better that my natural isms may be more biological than moral failings.

AMA.

Gave up video games for marriage, Oreos for the same reason. Not addicted to alcohol but I've come close and had to stop daily consumption for awhile when it was my go to for stress.

More or less the same. It's not that I had to have a drink or that I think there's anything wrong with having 1-2 drinks to decompress. I personally can't have 1 drink without it turning into 4-10, and that's where my life blooper reel is at maximum cringe factor. I've just accepted it for what it is, that some things in life are fun but not for me. Happier and healthier for it.
nortex97
AG
PacifistAg said:

diehard03 said:

Quote:

We must be careful here. The argument specifically is that while neuroplasticity exists, there's no study showing it leads to gender dysphoria, ergo it's something to disregard despite all we know about it. People who change how they dress, think, and act couldn't possibly rewire their brains in the process, especially in a society that affirms such things (or even subcultures that have existed outside the mainstream where they're embraced and shown affection they weren't given elsewhere). Thus brain scan studies where subjects self select for the study must show a static brain and remain unchallenged or something…it's all quite hazy really. If it's supports the cause embrace it, if it doesn't discard it (until it supports the cause again!).

just FYI, linking neuroplasticity and transgenderism isn't the point whatsoever. Pacifist was talking about her parents failing to call her by the right context while her younger child was able to pick it much quicker.

Just because someone vaguely mentions transgender doesn't mean we have to relitigate the entire concept.
I swear, it's always the same posters who make this place so tiresome.
Claiming your parents have some sort of neurotic/neuroplastic need/addiction to calling you the wrong pronoun ipso facto claiming victim status...was so classic. Now to whine about being called on it, is the cherry on top. Emoticon: Check.
Malibu
Request to kindly keep this thread on topic.
Howdy Dammit
AG
Chemical addiction is extremely hard to break, but I find the habit of dipping is harder than the nicotine. I associate it with certain aspects of my life (hunting, long drives, etc). Doing those activities without a dip in is extremely hard. To a point where even putting coffee grounds in my mouth eases the craving significantly.
PacifistAg
AG
Howdy Dammit said:

Copenhagen. Sweet sweet Copenhagen.

When I was in the army, I quit dipping by picking up smoking. Then when I was ready to quit smoking, I picked up dipping.

Smart.
nortex97
AG
Wow, that is hardcore. I think I did that a couple times in the army in the middle of the night to stay awake, but quickly realized I was not 'tough' enough for that. Kudos.
Agilaw
AG
This!
BusterAg
AG
The dopamine cycle is just so, so powerful.

I love reading about the brain. The reality is that the neurons in you brain physically rewire in response. Addiction is not just a pattern of behavior. Your brain physically builds a cement highway of nerve connections that can dominate your thinking. It is a physical structure that serves as a shortcut for bad decision making.

The dopamine cycle feeds this. Not only does it release endorphins to make things feel good, it actually plays a part in the construction of that physical nerve chain highway that keeps us making the same decisions over and over again.

I like the book Bounce, which is 100% about dopamine and sports, but gives a great perspective on addiction, too, if you take a step back.

Recognition that this is not just about willpower, but a true battle against physiology, against physical structures built inside of you, is probably the very best first step. Alcoholics Anonymous, for all its plusses and minuses, figured this out in the 1930s.

It's an internal battle. Your willpower is fighting your internal programming, which has a very real, very physical advantage.

Dont be too hard on yourself. Get help. The good news about you friends and family is that their brains are not likely betraying you like yours is.
PacifistAg
AG
That's not what I said. I said my wife reminds me that, because neuroplasticity diminishes as you age, then it can be more difficult for them to adapt to having a daughter when their brains were wired to see me as a son. I'm not a victim. We correct them and we move on. They are getting better, but just taking longer than, for example, my niece and nephew (not to mention my own kids). The subject was neuroplasticity and age, not being being transgender.

I'm sorry I worded my initial comment in a way that led to confusion. I will attempt to be clearer in the future. I was merely using an example from my life to comment on ramblin's statement about neuroplasticity and age to hopefully contribute to the larger conversation. Peace to you, brother.
BusterAg
AG
Dude.

You are a thoughtful poster. I liked talking to you about other things.

I am never again going to respond to any of your transgender discussion. You are much more than that. Leave it alone.
PacifistAg
AG
Thanks. I just used it as a personal example as part of the actual topic that ramblin was discussing. We all use personal experience as part of our discussions on here. I didn't realize it would result in some posters latching onto it, but should have known better.

But you are right. It's not all that I am. It's just something that gave me an experience that I felt relevant to the actual topic of neuroplasticity.
diehard03
Quote:

Dude.

I am never again going to respond to any of your transgender discussion. You are much more than that. Leave it alone.

It's more of a "you" issue than a her issue. It's not a transgender discussion. Other people, who aren't Pacifist, are trying to make it into one because who knows why.

She offered anecdotal experience related to what was being discussed that happen to be a real part of her life. I'm not sure what bothered you enough to post this.
BusterAg
AG
diehard03 said:

Quote:

Dude.

It's more of a "you" issue than a her issue. It's not a transgender discussion. Other people, who aren't Pacifist, are trying to make it into one because who knows why.

She offered anecdotal experience related to what was being discussed that happen to be a real part of her life. I'm not sure what bothered you enough to post this.

I dunno.

It was a lot more fun when pacifist kept derailing threads about how (he? she? was a he back then. I dunno the rules) wanted to pound my ar15 into a plough.

I just think Pacifist is kinda smart, and appreciate her take on things other than gender. But all she seems to post about these days is gender. Maybe it is just me. I'll think about that.
diehard03

Quote:

I just think Pacifist is kinda smart, and appreciate her take on things other than gender. But all she seems to post about these days is gender. Maybe it is just me. I'll think about that.

Well, I'm sure she'd like to talk about other things other than gender, but if she comes anywhere near it she feels forced to defend herself. Think of it like gun ownership drops to 0.5% of the country, yet it's still very important to you. Your friends all hate guns and when you talk about anything that reference guns in any capacity, they attack you on how you're wrong...even if its' not the topic. Now, you have to think about every single interaction and how not to mention guns...but its' also very important to you so you'll still defend gun ownership if challenged. So, it can appear through our biases lenses that all you want to talk about is guns.

Quote:

(he? she? was a he back then. I dunno the rules)

There are no rules. It's just common courtesy like with your name. Pragmatism should rule the day here: there are certainly situations where it's critical to know ones birth gender but those are few and far between...and so much so that grace would abound when one gets it wrong.
AGC
AG
diehard03 said:

Quote:

Dude.

Pacifists original post went unmolested because it was entirely appropriate and fit the thread. In fact so did the one about Copenhagen. It was only the post linking pronoun usage to neuroplasticity that got challenged. If you're losing buster it's time to re-evaluate whose thing it truly is.
Win At Life
AG
BusterAg said:

diehard03 said:

Quote:

Dude.

I dunno.

It was a lot more fun when pacifist kept derailing threads about how (he? she? was a he back then. I dunno the rules) wanted to pound my ar15 into a plough.

It's not just you. I've seen it too and now can rarely bring myself to respond to his (see what I did there ) posts. He also comes off much more judgmental, hypocritical and bitter now. Sad thing to see.
diehard03
Quote:

It was only the post linking pronoun usage to neuroplasticity that got challenged. If you're losing buster it's time to re-evaluate whose thing it truly is.

But it wasn't challenged about the merit - it was tied to the transgenderism argument. I'm not sure what the second sentence has to do with anything.
FTACo88-FDT24dad
AG
Malibu2 said:

I no longer drink alcohol (going on 4 years now) as it has caused problems and I've just concluded that some things in life aren't for me. I also never buy Oreos because the whole box will be gone in 1-2 days. In high school I wisely concluded that owning a video game console was going to hold back my academic potential and haven't owned one since Nintendo 64. I also like gambling, psychedelic drugs, long distance running (those sweet sweet endorphins), and posting on TexAgs. In short, I have an addictive personality and have had to engineer my life and choices around my natural predispositions.

More interestingly, my father was adopted and through ancestry.com I was able to figure who his birth parents were. I also read some newspaper articles about my biological paternal grandfather's frequent stints in jail with DWI, and his ultimate death from drinking related liver problems. That made me feel somewhat better that my natural isms may be more biological than moral failings.

AMA.

I can definitely relate to everything you said except for the adoption aspect. I love my dad and I knew and loved my grandfather. My dad's dark side was never darker than when he was self-medicating with alcohol for what I suspect was/is intense bi-polarity. And my grandfather was quite saintly as an older man but the stories about his proclivity for alcohol as a younger man tell me that when I finally took my last drink 5 years ago at 50 it was long overdue. God had mercy on me and simply took away the desire. I claim no special effort or power on my part. One day I wanted to drink and the next day I didn't. That was 5 years ago. Don't miss it.

I do think there's a "self-medicating" angle that contributes to alcohol and drug addiction.
BluHorseShu
AG
nortex97 said:

PacifistAg said:

diehard03 said:

Quote:

We must be careful here. The argument specifically is that while neuroplasticity exists, there's no study showing it leads to gender dysphoria, ergo it's something to disregard despite all we know about it. People who change how they dress, think, and act couldn't possibly rewire their brains in the process, especially in a society that affirms such things (or even subcultures that have existed outside the mainstream where they're embraced and shown affection they weren't given elsewhere). Thus brain scan studies where subjects self select for the study must show a static brain and remain unchallenged or something…it's all quite hazy really. If it's supports the cause embrace it, if it doesn't discard it (until it supports the cause again!).

just FYI, linking neuroplasticity and transgenderism isn't the point whatsoever. Pacifist was talking about her parents failing to call her by the right context while her younger child was able to pick it much quicker.

Just because someone vaguely mentions transgender doesn't mean we have to relitigate the entire concept.
I swear, it's always the same posters who make this place so tiresome.
Claiming your parents have some sort of neurotic/neuroplastic need/addiction to calling you the wrong pronoun ipso facto claiming victim status...was so classic. Now to whine about being called on it, is the cherry on top. Emoticon: Check.
I guess my previous post went completely over your head. Obviously no one is looking over your shoulder …which is unfortunate because you seem intelligent
AGC
AG
diehard03 said:

Quote:

It was only the post linking pronoun usage to neuroplasticity that got challenged. If you're losing buster it's time to re-evaluate whose thing it truly is.

But it wasn't challenged about the merit - it was tied to the transgenderism argument. I'm not sure what the second sentence has to do with anything.

How does one challenge a meritless statement on its merit? Is his dad addicted to using the wrong pronoun and neuroplasticity prevents him from using the right one? We're in the theater of the absurd here to claim it had any merit in regards to addiction and neuroplasticity.

Buster is level headed and not one of us accused of constant bullying and badgering. He's charitable and patient. If someone like that is wondering why a Christian posts so much about their other identities across multiple threads it should give you pause, not him.
PacifistAg
AG
Or certain people can stop fixating (and given it's the same people every time, I think "fixation" is the right word) and we can actually get this topic back on track. If you recall, the subject is addiction. My apologies for making a comment based on my experience with regards to neuroplasticity and age.

nortex97
AG
Ya know, if you don't want to be called on talking about gender/trans/pronoun stuff on every thread...there's a solution to that. This thread is ostensibly...about addiction, after all.
diehard03
Quote:

Ya know, if you don't want to be called on talking about gender/trans/pronoun stuff on every thread...there's a solution to that. This thread is ostensibly...about addiction, after all.

Or, you could just ignore it.

If you're right, I don't know why you'd want to giver her the satisfaction of getting the attention you claim shes just out seeking.
Post removed:
by user
diehard03
Quote:

Buster is level headed and not one of us accused of constant bullying and badgering. He's charitable and patient. If someone like that is wondering why a Christian posts so much about their other identities across multiple threads it should give you pause, not him.

I consider the Buster thing closed, as he probably does. He made a statement, I offered up a disagreement and he said he's consider it. Case closed, discussion over. Who he is is rather irrelevant. He might be wrong or I might be. That's ok.

To his credit, that's exactly how it should work.
nortex97
AG
diehard03 said:

Quote:

Or, you could just ignore it.

If you're right, I don't know why you'd want to giver her the satisfaction of getting the attention you claim shes just out seeking.
I don't make any claim to regulate who posts what, on this board or another, let alone do I think my posts provide satisfaction to things/posters I find humorous. I do, however, enjoy the humor of this place.

The speculative irony of the cited post still...cracks me up. I do hope others find it entertainingly funny as well.
Post removed:
by user
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.