Bonhoeffer's Theory of Stupidity

4,903 Views | 88 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by ramblin_ag02
BluHorseShu
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
nortex97 said:

Zobel said:

Consensus and groupthink aren't the same thing.

What's interesting is that you have a wide range of people here - politically and religiously - who seem to agree on the subject of F16. It's actually probably the only topic on this forum where there is broad consensus.
Maybe, but a lot of that consensus is among people who have been…rejected on F16 quite a bit, apparently, and I think that drives some of the irrational dislike/hatred of the other forum. The need to snidely refer, without any kind of factual/real argumentative reference to the vile/evil nature of F16, is evidence not of a consensus, but something else, imho. Which is fine, but it illustrates to me a lot of the 'mass psychosis' here in response to/relating to f16, as once more demonstrated by this very thread (and responses since my own last one).

Quote:

Quote:

The term gained attention after it was floated by Dr. Robert Malone on "The Joe Rogan Experience" Dec. 31 podcast. Malone is a scientist who once researched mRNA technology but is now a vocal skeptic of the COVID-19 vaccines that use it.

But psychology experts say the concept described by Malone is not supported by evidence, and is similar to theories that have long been discredited. Here's a look at the facts…
…Psychology experts say there is no support for the "psychosis" theory described by Malone.

"To my knowledge, there's no evidence whatsoever for this concept," said Jay Van Bavel, an assistant professor of psychology and neural science at New York University who recently co-authored a book on group identities. Van Bavel said he had never encountered the phrase "mass formation psychosis" in his years of research, nor could he find it in any peer-reviewed literature.
The AP couldn't be missing the point harder if they tried. The idea behind mass formation psychosis is not that people are literally hypnotized, i.e., as you'd see in the movies where someone crows like a rooster and stops smoking. Rather, it's a way to express the collective irrationality being shown by millions of people who will literally do anything to try to "stop the spread," no matter how ineffective the measures being promoted are.

For example, despite all the data showing that the vaccines don't work to stop the spread of COVID-19, people still push policies like vaccine passports and vaccine mandates as not only physically necessary but morally necessary as well. Those who hang on Dr. Anthony Fauci's every word do so under the delusion that whatever the "experts" say must be abided by in order to avoid catastrophe. That's how you end up with a Houston area teacher locking a child in the trunk of a car because he supposedly needed to be "quarantined."

Those types of irrationalities are what drive the idea of a widespread psychosis formulated by the largely baseless fear-mongering of the expert class and that's what makes the AP's "fact-check" so ironic.
They are claiming that there aren't millions of Americans blindly accepting the dictates of a tiny class of over-credentialed figures, yet they try to prove that case by demanding you be dictated to by a tiny class of over-credentialed figures they cite. I couldn't think of a better way to not prove their point than that.

In short, people can quibble over the semantics of clinical diagnoses. Yet, there is no doubt that a huge number of Americans (and people all over the world) are no longer able to make rational risk assessments because their leaders have refused to be honest with them. Instead, the thirst for power and a desire to avoid political responsibility for failure has overtaken all. So the AP can call that phenomenon whatever they'd like, but it's absolutely a real problem, and it's one that a nation like the United States is going to have to figure out a way to solve before our society dives off the cliff.
Stupidity, or 'mass psychosis' are just quibbling over terminology, in this case, imho. A veneer of philosophical sophistication is all that Bonhoeffer's terminology/history really is, vs. calling it something else. I certainly believe there is even more 'groupthink' or psychosis or stupidity, however one might wish to label it, on the covid forum, which is as intolerant of dissent as anything on TA.
'Rejected'? I thought at first you were being humorous but that is a great way to describe F16. If you do not agree with the majority…they 'reject' you? It probably shouldn't be a discussion forum if dissenters (regardless of political affiliation) are to be rejected. Rather it should be called a right wing mutual appreciation forum. But I have to admit it's a little funny when the weekly 'Questions for resident leftists/cm's' thread goes up. There's always a couple of people who genuinely think the OP's are truly looking to actually discuss the topic….only to find out it's just a rejection pile-on. But they'll tell you it's scriptural and Jesus would do the same to them, which makes them the righteous ones.
Zobel
AG
Actual mfbarnes. He scammed aggiehawg out of some money before COVID, when he was pretending to be a female lawyer. He was posting quite a bit on a different handle, name escapes me now, during all the impeachment stuff pre COVID.

I think / suspect patriotag on here was him, but that handle didn't last long.

We also have several alt right / soft pro-fascist people that pop up over and over. My degree of sympathy with their views varies from topic to topic. They stick out like a sore thumb on f16 as well.

The other topic you can't broach on F16 is Israel, though i have seen an uptick in people recently with the everyone sucks here stance.
BluHorseShu
AG
Zobel said:

I have posted "dissenting" articles on the COVID forum and never once have been banned or deleted. The reason people get banned from there isn't because of groupthink, it's because they don't read the very simple rules - it's not a place for political discussion or speculation. It's a place to share reliable information. Even then, a good deal of discussion and "dissent" happens on there.

It is nearly impossible to have a discussion on F16 that strays from its own self selected view. You absolutely will get shouted down, called a lib, be accused of wanting mandates etc. i was called a lib and a Biden supporter for having the crazy opinion that dictatorships are bad. Wild, I know, I'm such a rabid left winger. The biggest problem is everything is binary on that forum, and nothing is binary in real life. The other problem is that people on there forum are, I suspect, of a certain age and have a tendency to be vulnerable to fake news and conspiracy theories (see the Q thread for example). It usually takes a while before clickbait or fake news headlines are even questioned. When they are, the thread dies, but it doesn't prevent the same type of stupid fake news thread from being posted again the next day.

I figured out a while ago that people there aren't interested in actual "scout" mindset discussions - improving their position. It's very much an entertainment forum, for aggressive agreeing and snarky one liners. There is no substantive discussion or nuance on most of the topics. On occasion you get a decent one, usually on economics (because there is more variance there in views even among the regulars, especially on populism vs more laissez faire capitalism) but that's the exception.

Here you get a pretty decent of amount of actual discussion and disagreement. Probably because here the default position isn't "people who agree with me have a mental illness". This forum also does a better job at self moderating, including calling out people we substantively agree with for insults or ad hom arguments. That's probably at least in part because it's a smaller and more tight knit community.
This a great assessment of the current zeitgeist on the forums you mention. We should always communicate as if Christ is physically looking over our shoulders as we type (obviously he is with us ) but it seems, at least for me, that his presence is more pronounced in my thoughts and considerations when posting here (though I have regretted if I've incurred snark on some of my posts here)
nortex97
AG
I'm just not willing to debate 'f16' here Zobel, but I've certainly found some of your posts, which you I believe think are 'nuanced' on things like green energy etc., as not real well reasoned/founded, but I don't recall you being shouted down about it. Carlos, salute the marines, Txagfan, etc. we have a lot of 'left' posters who just troll the place, so I guess that contributes to a left sense of intolerance.

I'm vaccinated and have no issue with people's decisions about their own medical care/covid (of course I don't support infanticide), but any dissent on masks, data, science, studies etc. is not tolerated at all on 84, and I think you're just not going to agree with me on that, which is fine. I venture over there for a bit just for amusement every few months.
Zobel
AG
Green energy is a great example. I am a staunch free-market capitalist who is absolutely opposed to subsidies in any form. I work in an industry where 90% of my customer base is O&G and thermal power. I have a deep understanding of the power industry gained over fifteen years of intimate involvement with clients needs, a background in both engineering and business development, and this informs my opinions. The fact that I disagree with you on a very specific set of topics - i.e., whether wind energy or solar are ever viable absent subsidies, what the future of power generation looks like, what caused last February's power issues, how to measure or discuss terms like "reliability" in power gen - doesn't make them not well reasoned or founded. It just means we disagree. It also doesn't make me "pro" green power. The problem is I don't fit into the binary boxes that F16 requires for a discussion and in general people who only have red and blue crayons in their box get real confused when someone shows up who is neither.

Salute the marines is another great example - a longtime poster who is not a leftist, who is a conservative with a long track record (his handle is making fun of President Biden), who has the audacity to say that the vaccines are safe and effective. A position I agree with him, by the way. This is not a "left" position. Vaccine efficacy is not a left vs right issue. Again, if you only have two crayons, you have to pick a side, and because they like to color with red the vaccines not working is now red and vaccines work is blue. It's asinine. STM doesn't troll, he has a very specific argument he beats to death (the guy has some patience for sure) that is continually mischaracterized and straw-manned to death.

The fact that both of these "seem like" left intolerance is kind of the problem.

I mean, how ridiculous is it when I am consistently accused of being a leftist when I have never voted for a democrat for political office in my life? In fact, as far as I know I have never not voted Republican for any candidate (may have voted for a local independent, not sure there). My economics identity is Chicago school with a streak of Austrian. My most dog-eared book is Von Mises' Theory of Money and Credit. I love Hayek and Herodotus, Locke and Sidney. I'm an extreme-right-winger in every aspect of my life from political theory, economics, philosophy, cultural morality, and religion. But any time I disagree on F16 it's because I'm a lib or support President Biden. It's a joke.
Rongagin71
AG
F16 is too far right for me, and that is saying something...my theory is that a lot of them have been outcast from more liberal chatrooms and seem to want to protect F16 like a dog would a meaty bone.
The most upvotes I ever got on F16 was when I posted that Trump should not run for Pres again, and it also got me more name calling attacks than anything else I ever posted.
There are some libs over here that back each other up, but the name calling is not as bad as F16...usually.
one MEEN Ag
AG
The scout analogy relies on the context that the terrain map can be truthfully known and factually correct. And this is true as a scout can directly attest to the terrain. When a soldier says otherwise about a feature of the terrain it's an easy argument about measurable facts. Soldier=uniformed defender. Scout=Deliverer of truth.

How many people out there would openly consider themselves soldiers and not scouts?

Zobel
AG
Everyone is a soldier sometimes. The trick is catching yourself doing it and trying to be more like a scout, as often as possible.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Quote:

Stupidity, or 'mass psychosis' are just quibbling over terminology, in this case, imho. A veneer of philosophical sophistication is all that Bonhoeffer's terminology/history really is, vs. calling it something else. I certainly believe there is even more 'groupthink' or psychosis or stupidity, however one might wish to label it, on the covid forum, which is as intolerant of dissent as anything on TA.

I think it's telling that while most on this thread are trying to find ways to avoid "stupidity", you've twice tried to point out that groups that don't agree with you are the ones that really have the problem. I'd say the path to wisdom involves much more self-criticism than criticism of others. Focusing entirely on the criticism of others (even if deserved) is a way to demonize other people and stop moderating your own behavior.

All of the worst groups have had their boogeymen that kept people's focus off their own badness. The Nazi's had the Communists and Jews, the Communists had the Whites, the American Settlers had the savage Indians, the Hutu had the Tutsi, and the Chicoms had the anti-revolutionaries and now the Uyghurs. In each case every atrocity is countered by "well they did this bad thing and they were going to do more bad things". It's just not a healthy mindset to "defend" our own bad behaviors by pointing at the faults of others
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
nortex97
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

Quote:

I think it's telling that while most on this thread are trying to find ways to avoid "stupidity", you've twice tried to point out that groups that don't agree with you are the ones that really have the problem. I'd say the path to wisdom involves much more self-criticism than criticism of others. Focusing entirely on the criticism of others (even if deserved) is a way to demonize other people and stop moderating your own behavior.

All of the worst groups have had their boogeymen that kept people's focus off their own badness. The Nazi's had the Communists and Jews, the Communists had the Whites, the American Settlers had the savage Indians, the Hutu had the Tutsi, and the Chicoms had the anti-revolutionaries and now the Uyghurs. In each case every atrocity is countered by "well they did this bad thing and they were going to do more bad things". It's just not a healthy mindset to "defend" our own bad behaviors by pointing at the faults of others
Just the opposite doc, I've provided some references to specific issues, and others have returned, repeatedly, to zero in on f16. Further, the criticism isn't really about me, but some bogeyman 'culture' on another forum that is just a click away.

Good job attempting to link my mindset to murderous Communists, nazis, etc. LOL. LOL again.
Jabin
ramblin_ag02 said:

Quote:

Ironically, Dr., aren't you doing the very thing that you are accusing nortex of doing? In other words, you are pointing out his fault rather than your own. This thread might be a more valuable exercise if everyone pointed out their own tendencies to groupthink rather than the tendencies of others.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Yes, but also no. For one, all but one of my posts have been about how to avoid this mindset in general, and not a single one of them was attributing this to any group. Secondly, I addressed my criticism to him/her as an individual, which is entirely consistent with my argument so far. I did not paint him as a mindless cog of some terrible group.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Jabin
Quote:

Yes, but also no. For one, all but one of my posts have been about how to avoid this mindset in general, and not a single one of them was attributing this to any group. Secondly, I addressed my criticism to him/her as an individual, which is entirely consistent with my argument so far. I did not paint him as a mindless cog of some terrible group.
Your own words:
Quote:

I'd say the path to wisdom involves much more self-criticism than criticism of others.
Is that what you were doing?

And isn't your attempt to distinguish your criticism of him as an individual rather than "as a mindless cog of some terrible group" really a distinction without a difference? Finally, your criticism of him could be interpreted as a characterization of him as a member of that terrible group, F16.

I just find it interesting that many on this thread see everyone else as "soldiers" and themselves as "scouts". It would be interesting to see if that self-characterization is accurate. Plus, sometimes "soldiers" simply move from one army to another. Changing armies does not necessarily make one a scout.
ramblin_ag02
AG
I've pretty much made the point that seeing ourselves and others as individuals is a remedy for the stupidity referenced in the article. You may not agree, but I've been consistent. The subject of my criticism had pretty much only posted to accuse others of this variety of stupidity without posting anything else at all. I figured it fit within the context of the thread to point that out. Demonizing other people en masse while ignoring our own group's faults is pretty much the definition of stupidity that we're working with here after all.
nortex97
AG
You'll find very few doctors or lawyers who will admit to losing an argument/discussion/debate willingly.

The professional classes also led the nazi's/communists in china ('barefoot doctors' and 'one child' supporters among many others), referenced above.

Quote:

National Socialism and the Nation's Health

No profession in Germany became so numerically attached to National Socialism in both its leadership and membership as was the medical profession. Because of their philosophical orientation toward finding a more scientific basis for medical research and practice, government funding for research, and the practical benefits of acquiring university positions and medical practices from the many banned and exiled German Jewish doctors, many physicians supported Nazi policies. One of the first Nazi laws, passed July 14, 1933, was the "Law for the Prevention of Progeny of Hereditary Disease," intended to "consolidate" social and health policies in the German population and prohibit the right of reproduction for persons defined as "genetically inferior." After 1933, the connection between the theory and practice of politicized medicine advocated by many in Weimar Germany became actual in Nazi Germany.

Quote:

After Hitler's health care was socialized, free for everyone. Doctors were salaried by the government. The problem was, since it was free, the people were going to the doctors for everything. When the good doctor arrived at his office at 8 a.m., 40 people were already waiting and, at the same time, the hospitals were full. If you needed elective surgery, you had to wait a year or two for your turn. There was no money for research as it was poured into socialized medicine. Research at the medical schools literally stopped, so the best doctors left Austria and emigrated to other countries.

As for healthcare, our tax rates went up to 80% of our income. Newlyweds immediately received a $1,000 loan from the government to establish a household. We had big programs for families. All day care and education were free. High schools were taken over by the government and college tuition was subsidized. Everyone was entitled to free handouts, such as food stamps, clothing, and housing.

I agree we should always be wary of demonizing the 'other' as has been stated so many times, in so many ways here even if often directed at me specifically.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Yet another vague criticism against an entire faceless group of people. I think you made my point for me. And I'm not trying to win an argument. Just trying to point out that you specifically seem to be doing exactly what Bonhoeffer warns against.

Feel free to criticize me directly. I'm right here. No need to associate me with doctors in other times and places that have nothing in common with me. BTW, I wouldn't carry that "Chicom doctor privilege" bit too far. You don't have to go far into that history to see doctors strung up like everyone else considered "elite"
Quad Dog
AG
So in an attempt to prove your point that demonizing "others" is wrong, you grouped Rambiln, and all doctors, into a group that contains Nazis?
Was the irony intentional?
nortex97
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

Yet another vague criticism against an entire faceless group of people. I think you made my point for me. And I'm not trying to win an argument. Just trying to point out that you specifically seem to be doing exactly what Bonhoeffer warns against.

Feel free to criticize me directly. I'm right here. No need to associate me with doctors in other times and places that have nothing in common with me. BTW, I wouldn't carry that "Chicom doctor privilege" bit too far. You don't have to go far into that history to see doctors strung up like everyone else considered "elite"
You have self-identified on this forum as a member of a group, and posted the following in an effort to demagogue/denigrate/argue against my posts above:

Quote:

Nowhere to my knowledge have I argued in favor of 'doing more bad things.'

Now, while you are a member of said professional medical class (a 'doctor' as your emoji etc. shows), I think your class' history is thus fair game in your argumentative positions/style. It is thus fair, rhetorically, to note that your professional group/class in fact supported the Nazi's disproportionately, and early. Why in fact should it not be? I certainly didn't bring up the nazis' bogeymen. These were the people/group who...after all killed Bonhoeffer, no?

I am not trying to offer a 'well F16 or F84 is bad' riposte, but rather a direct response to your own wordss and logic/style of argument. I realize you do take this very personally apparently (and have no issue with that but it is not intended as a personal affront; again I see doctors as a group largely unwilling to concede debates regardless of the context), but it is the case that the rejoinders/personal responses on this thread referencing F16 were in response to this simple quote;

Quote:

I'm immediately struck by the epistemic closure discussions/group think we have around policies/beliefs such as 'islam is peaceful' 'global warming is an imminent threat' 'vaccine mandates' 'black lives matter' 'glbtq marriage is good' movements etc. Stupidity was absolutely on display @ SCOTUS just yesterday.
There's no argument about the comment, but rather a sequential series of stylized/vague attacks on a forum/me (with of course the supportive blue stars to match), with which many here disagree. I find your request for direct criticism precisely lacking, as such. Let me know what position/personalized position you think I am wary of discussing/addressing/criticizing, though I am very unwilling of course to advocate stringing up doctors as a group as you have now somewhat implied. I simply believe your positions/arguments are untenable as per above, and lack real context/historical knowledge.
kurt vonnegut
AG
nortex97 said:

ramblin_ag02 said:

Just the opposite doc, I've provided some references to specific issues, and others have returned, repeatedly, to zero in on f16. Further, the criticism isn't really about me, but some bogeyman 'culture' on another forum that is just a click away.

In the spirit of being a 'scout', it is not difficult to devise experiments to gather data about the culture of that forum. Create a sock account and start posting left of center (but moderate) positions on that board. I would expect that someone who is conservative, intelligent, and not victim to the stupidity of group think would have little to no difficulty in drafting up reasonable positions that represent what an intelligent liberal person might believe. An intelligent free thinker should easily be able to come up with counter arguments to their own positions. Post those positions and see how they are received. Or I'll post them for you and you can let me know what to post.

If we create reasonable posts which reflect positions that contrast the dominant views on that board and they are met with insult and derision, then I believe that tells us something about the culture of that 'group'. If the posts are met with thoughtful responses and respect for well developed ideas then that also tells us something about the culture of that 'group'.

F16 gets a lot of flak on the R&P. . . . but I think that's because most of us have had similar experiences posting there. Anyway - I'm serious about this experiment if you think its worthwhile or interesting.

I'm curious as to what 'groupthink' the R&P is guilt of or what 'groupthink' other forums think we are guilty of. If one were to devise an experiment to test this, I wonder what they would do.

nortex97
AG
Not sure if you meant to reply to me or not, but I choose not to do the lame trolling/sock stuff some seem to enjoy. I find it boring/unscientific at best, though some (MF Barnes etc.) have done it better than others over the years.

It's also a violation of the site rules, I believe.
kurt vonnegut
AG
nortex97 said:

Not sure if you meant to reply to me or not, but I choose not to do the lame trolling/sock stuff some seem to enjoy. I find it boring/unscientific at best, though some (MF Barnes etc.) have done it better than others over the years.

It's also a violation of the site rules, I believe.

I don't mean to suggest a trolling exercise. Unscientific. . . . okay. If you were so inclined, how would you go about judging how susceptible a particular forum's regulars are to groupthink?
Jabin
nm
nortex97
AG
These are valid points. Thx.
kurt vonnegut
AG
Jabin said:

nm

I read it before you deleted it. . . . But, I think there is some truth to your post.

What topics or opinions do you think would be met by this board with derision? I have no agenda with this question beyond curiosity - not a loaded question.
Jabin
I don't want to get into it. I have a life-long tendency to argue too much which I am trying to overcome. Arguments rarely are settled satisfactorily to any of the participants, and never if made online. If I mention the one topic that I know is unacceptable to this board, I am afraid that it will immediately end up as an argument filled with derision and ad hominem attacks.

There are other topics that are not received well on this board.
Zobel
AG
Come on, don't tease. What topic is verboten? At least give us a hint.
Jabin
Zobel said:

OK, I'm weak and have no willpower.

YEC is verboten and, to a lesser extent, anything positive about evangelicalism is verboten.
BluHorseShu
AG
Jabin said:

Zobel said:

YEC is verboten and, to a lesser extent, anything positive about evangelicalism is verboten.
Actually, I think the usual posters here (and venture to say the majority), would be willing to discuss those in a respectful way, if they were presented in the same tone. By contrast, if you threw those topics up on F16…not so much. Derision and ad Homs are sport over there. I believe most here are significantly more inclined to be introspective on any of their posts that could be construed as derisive and willing to apologize. A neat scientific study for F16 might be to count how many times anyone has ever said "You know, I am sorry I said that" or "After considering your points I've reconsidered my position". Then count how many ad Homs are posted
Zobel
AG
I think this majority of this board rejects YEC theory, but it's not verboten, I don't think. People just don't agree with it.

I would guess there's more evangelicals on this board than catholics (maybe) and definitely Orthodox (only 3 or 4 of us I think).

It seems like we're still collectively unable to distinguish between consensus and groupthink. How do you see the difference between those two things?
PacifistAg
AG
Jabin said:

Zobel said:

YEC is off-limits? Since when? Sure, those who adhere to YEC will be greatly outnumbered, so it may feel to them as though they're being piled on, but I certainly don't think it's an "off-limits" topic by any stretch of the imagination. YEC'ers will be expected to support their positions, which could also make them feel as though they're being piled on.

But as Blu said, I think this board is more than willing to discuss these topics. Especially when handled respectfully (i.e. YEC'ers not questioning the faith of others or implying others don't read the Bible, and non-YEC'ers not insulting the intelligence of YEC'ers).
PacifistAg
AG

Quote:

anything positive about evangelicalism is verboten.
Honestly, I think this is probably the harder one of the two issues you listed. I don't see a lot starting threads to discuss the positives of evangelicalism. Most of the time, and this could just be my own bias influencing how I perceive things here, the "positives" are raised as a counter to a thread that's critical of evangelicalism. That tends to lead to a lot of frustration where both sides are just arguing past each other. I think it would be more beneficial to start more threads about the positives, while also not using "positives" as a response to the "negatives" because it comes across as trying to brush away the negatives.
nortex97
AG
PacifistAg said:

Quote:

Honestly, I think this is probably the harder one of the two issues you listed. I don't see a lot starting threads to discuss the positives of evangelicalism. Most of the time, and this could just be my own bias influencing how I perceive things here, the "positives" are raised as a counter to a thread that's critical of evangelicalism. That tends to lead to a lot of frustration where both sides are just arguing past each other. I think it would be more beneficial to start more threads about the positives, while also not using "positives" as a response to the "negatives" because it comes across as trying to brush away the negatives.
That's because, in the US, evangelism (and hence evangelicals) is considered associated with 'conservative' politics, so this board jumps against it from the RCC and orthodox and political biases that exist here.

This is unfortunate, imho.
Jabin
Quote:

It seems like we're still collectively unable to distinguish between consensus and groupthink. How do you see the difference between those two things?
There is a legitimate and very good question. Let me throw it back at you for a bit. What do you think makes F-16 groupthink rather than consensus?

Having just considered the question, I will readily admit that my answer is probably not complete. What comes immediately to mind as a distinction is the tone of the responses.Responses that are typical of groupthink tend to be dismissive, insulting, and contain only a bumper sticker level of analysis. Responses from a group consensus could still be respectful and thoughtful. Another distinction is that groupthink rarely is willing to concede or admit any problems in the group's position. Non-groupthink should be able to concede problems without necessarily surrendering their position. Groupthink tends to be blind, zealous advocacy, whereas non-groupthink tends to be more of a discussion.

It seems that the Internet does not lend itself well to collegial discussions. Rather, participants almost invariably end up being zealous advocates of their position which can come across as groupthink. In my experience, people are much more considerate of each other when discussing things face-to-face as compared to discussing things anonymously over the Internet.
Jabin
PacifistAg said:

Quote:

Excellent points, Pacifist. I had thought about starting a series of threads about great evangelicals I have known. God has graced me to be blessed by knowing or encountering many great men of God who were influential evangelicals. I am going to do it, so you guys be patient with me as I start down that path.
Sapper Redux
Jabin said:

Zobel said:

YEC isn't verboten, the problem you'll have is coming up with a new argument that hasn't already been beaten to death here. I think YEC arguments tend to get an eye-roll just because they all come across as the same general thing.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.