All homosexuals died at the birth of Christ?

6,745 Views | 78 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by ramblin_ag02
Zobel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The argument from silence?

Anyway, they scriptures don't say what Lot wanted to do there was good, because it wasn't.
Duncan Idaho
He offered his daughters for rape. That is his single defining action. Nothing else comes close.

If I called Mao a righteous man, would you say "I mean sure, let's set aside the murder and starvation"
Fashionably Late
Duncan Idaho said:

He offered his daughters for rape. That is his single defining action. Nothing else comes close.

If I called Mao a righteous man, would you say "I mean sure, let's set aside the murder and starvation"

Unless we agree on a standard for morality it's pointless
swimmerbabe11
I've never read it in a way that he was just like "here these are the party favors for the evening! Have fun!" but rather as a desperate man trying to keep peace. I'm not saying it was a good thing, but it certainly wasn't equal to offering people an appetizer or something.

Still, this is a bit of an aside. The most scandalous thing about the OP's premise isn't that it threatens one specific sort of sin or sinner, but that it completely misses the point of the Gospel.

Do you think the Lord, who humiliated himself, born in a manger, barefoot as a carpenter, was so dainty and delicate and NAIVE that one certain type of sin would offend his senses where Earth would be too much? He came to bear the weight of all of those sins and mine and yours and all of 4chan...be spit on, crucified, descend into Hell, and resurrect.

The world didn't somehow gouge itself of a certain sin to make itself more "worthy". If we could make ourselves worthy of Christ, we wouldn't have needed the incarnation at all.

Zobel
AG
Who decides that a single action defined his whole life? You?

David raped a woman after murdering her husband. Does that define his life?

This is an ignorant take that is completely at odds with the scriptures.
craigernaught
AG
I don't know what it is about this story that makes otherwise reasonable people lose their damn minds.

Edit: Did not mean to respond to this poster directly. Apologies.
Fashionably Late
swimmerbabe11 said:

I've never read it in a way that he was just like "here these are the party favors for the evening! Have fun!" but rather as a desperate man trying to keep peace. I'm not saying it was a good thing, but it certainly wasn't equal to offering people an appetizer or something.

Still, this is a bit of an aside. The most scandalous thing about the OP's premise isn't that it threatens one specific sort of sin or sinner, but that it completely misses the point of the Gospel.

Do you think the Lord, who humiliated himself, born in a manger, barefoot as a carpenter, was so dainty and delicate and NAIVE that one certain type of sin would offend his senses where Earth would be too much? He came to bear the weight of all of those sins and mine and yours and all of 4chan...be spit on, crucified, descend into Hell, and resurrect.

The world didn't somehow gouge itself of a certain sin to make itself more "worthy". If we could make ourselves worthy of Christ, we wouldn't have needed the incarnation at all.

Why would I dare to believe I have better insight that St Bonaventure?
Sapper Redux
Because the premise is absurd?
swimmerbabe11
Because this point of view is absolutely ludicrous and laughs in the face of the purpose of Christ.
It's insulting to Christ.

What makes the Earth more worthy of Him besides His own sacrifice?
Rongagin71
AG
Some of you have studied religion for decades so it would be egotistical for me to even opine on something as deep as this, except perhaps to say that the New Testament is current law for Christians?
Fashionably Late
swimmerbabe11 said:

Because this point of view is absolutely ludicrous and laughs in the face of the purpose of Christ.

The purpose of Christ is to repair the rift caused by disobedience of Adam and Eve.
Sapper Redux
swimmerbabe11 said:

I read the entire sermon he supposedly gave. It includes animals talking, 3 suns, a temple in Rome collapsing (for which there is no evidence), and every idol in Egypt simultaneously and spontaneously destroying themselves. I'd say the good saint makes a poor historian.
Zobel
AG
There's no contradiction between the scriptures. People who put the New Testament vs the old are confused. The authors of the NT certainly didn't see themselves as correcting or changing anything: this is a charge St Paul specifically denies and the authors of the gospel record Christ saying the same. Many modern people stray into some kind of near-Marcionism in this regard.
swimmerbabe11
Fashionably Late said:

swimmerbabe11 said:

The purpose of Christ is to repair the rift caused by disobedience of Adam and Eve.

And Christ repairs the rift caused by the disobedience of Adam and Eve by doing what?
Zobel
AG
They're holy fathers, not holy spirits. It's ok to disagree.
jrico2727
AG
Sapper Redux said:

swimmerbabe11 said:

I read the entire sermon he supposedly gave. It includes animals talking, 3 suns, a temple in Rome collapsing (for which there is no evidence), and every idol in Egypt simultaneously and spontaneously destroying themselves. I'd say the good saint makes a poor historian.
Somebody check the temperature in hell I may agree with Sapper for once.

I have haven't been able to locate this sermon anywhere except that one website, and it is clear the person who runs it has a agenda. I haven't spent a lot of time on it either.
Fashionably Late
Certainly, but it is not appropriate to disregard their statements outright. Their status gives weigh to their words and should not be immediately discarded.
Fashionably Late
swimmerbabe11 said:

Fashionably Late said:

swimmerbabe11 said:

And Christ repairs the rift caused by the disobedience of Adam and Eve by doing what?

His sacrifice on the cross. Now that we have that out of the way, what point were you trying to make.

Christ died to reconcile mankind so there's no way homosexuals would die at his birth?
jrico2727
AG
Fashionably Late said:

Certainly, but it is not appropriate to disregard their statements outright. Their status gives weigh to their words and should not be immediately discarded.
Are you 100% that St. Bonaventure even said this sermon? I am not, I truly find it dubious.

There are a lot of people that will tell you that St. Francis of Assisi said to always preach the gospel and if necessary use words, and this is highly disputed.

swimmerbabe11
And why was his sacrifice on the cross efficacious?

he reconciled our sins by bearing the weight of them, so why would there be some wierd miracle to kill a bunch of the people he came to save? He lived among sinners His entire life, this wouldn't do anything to make the world more "pure" or "worthy of Him" since we can't accomplish our own salvation by any means except through Him. It's the same point I've been making!
Fashionably Late
jrico2727 said:

Fashionably Late said:

Are you 100% that St. Bonaventure even said this sermon? I am not, I truly find it dubious.

There are a lot of people that will tell you that St. Francis of Assisi said to always preach the gospel and if necessary use words, and this is highly disputed.

Not 100% but my Latin is fairly decent and it looks like it at least was recorded that he said the above.

https://www.traditioninaction.org/Questions/E050_Bona-Homo.htm
Fashionably Late
swimmerbabe11 said:

And why was his sacrifice on the cross efficacious?

he reconciled our sins by bearing the weight of them, so why would there be some wierd miracle to kill a bunch of the people he came to save? He lived among sinners His entire life, this wouldn't do anything to make the world more "pure" or "worthy of Him" since we can't accomplish our own salvation by any means except through Him. It's the same point I've been making!

I can see it being a natural reaction, much as the harrowing of Hell when Christ descended to the dead, or when sin entered the world due to the disobedience of Adam and Eve. His birth sent shockwaves through creation, and unnatural behaviors were impacted
Rongagin71
AG
jrico2727 said:

Sapper Redux said:

swimmerbabe11 said:

I have haven't been able to locate this sermon anywhere except that one website, and it is clear the person who runs it has a agenda. I haven't spent a lot of time on it either.
Agreed.
And to Zobel, don't you find an awful lot of violent and herd to believe stuff in the Old Testament? To me it makes sense to say that Christ brought a new law, a law for all, not just the Jews.
Zobel
AG
A lot of the OT - most, actually - is a cautionary tale. The whole history of Israel can be read correctly as a cautionary tale. If you're not disturbed by what you read there, you're doing it wrong.

But the NT doesn't contradict the OT. Christ doesn't cancel the Law. When He says "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them." He wasn't being tricky.

Christ is the Lawgiver and the Judge. The gospel is the expansion of the kingship of Christ to not only that of Israel, but over all mankind.
AGC
AG
Rongagin71 said:

jrico2727 said:

Sapper Redux said:

swimmerbabe11 said:

Agreed.
And to Zobel, don't you find an awful lot of violent and herd to believe stuff in the Old Testament? To me it makes sense to say that Christ brought a new law, a law for all, not just the Jews.

Ramblin has an extra book from the gift exchange you might enjoy.
Rongagin71
AG
Zobel said:

A lot of the OT - most, actually - is a cautionary tale. The whole history of Israel can be read correctly as a cautionary tale. If you're not disturbed by what you read there, you're doing it wrong.

But the NT doesn't contradict the OT. Christ doesn't cancel the Law. When He says "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them." He wasn't being tricky.

Christ is the Lawgiver and the Judge. The gospel is the expansion of the kingship of Christ to not only that of Israel, but over all mankind.
Okay, this is where my lack of expertise shows up as I am unable to list a bunch of Old Testament laws that no one now obeys, but I'll bet there are plenty. The OT certainly does tell quite a few cautionary tales.
The New Testament also uses a lot of story telling to illustrate points, but is pretty generalized rather than listing a lot of "thou shalt/shalt nots".
Sodom & Gomorrah is very much an Old Testament kind of story.
Zobel
AG
If you read the way the Apostles applied the scriptures in Acts, they took a very close reading. The parts of the Torah - specifically the holiness code in Leviticus - which were said to the sons of Israel applied only to Jews. The parts of the holiness code which applied to everyone living in the land (including aliens and foreigners) applied to everyone. These things are summed up as idolatry, sexual immorality, and the consumption of blood (which is kinda like dodge duck dip dive and dodge, because all of these are very much related to religious acts). In no way did this abrogate the Torah or its requirements. It applied it exactly as written.

The NT didn't relist the Torah because they took the Torah for granted. They didn't add to it, or take away from it, because that would go against the Torah.
Rongagin71
AG
Zobel said:

If you read the way the Apostles applied the scriptures in Acts, they took a very close reading. The parts of the Torah - specifically the holiness code in Leviticus - which were said to the sons of Israel applied only to Jews. The parts of the holiness code which applied to everyone living in the land (including aliens and foreigners) applied to everyone. These things are summed up as idolatry, sexual immorality, and the consumption of blood (which is kinda like dodge duck dip dive and dodge, because all of these are very much related to religious acts). In no way did this abrogate the Torah or its requirements. It applied it exactly as written.

The NT didn't relist the Torah because they took the Torah for granted. They didn't add to it, or take away from it, because that would go against the Torah.
I believe that is the best explanation that I've heard.
Redstone
AG
LOT of things happened when Christ was murdered and rose again….if you believe Blessed Anne Catherine Emmerich, which I do.
(Caveats: she was transcribed, and all visions are subjective, no matter how honest the visionary.)

Reference:
Vol. 4, Life of Jesus Christ, TAN Books

It gets REALLY weird. And none of it goes against Apostolic (Catholic / Orthodox teaching or tradition).
Sapper Redux
Thought the Church didn't put any stock at all in the writings?
swimmerbabe11
find it pretty hard to believe that it was important enough to write in the gospels that lowly shepherds came to visit, but not that a bunch of people simultaneously dropped dead out of nowhere. That seems significant.
Zobel
AG
Especially when a bunch would possibly be a majority of adult males in upper class Roman society.
Redstone
AG
Not many Saints have writings considered in canonization, although some of the most essential do, such as St. Thomas Aquinas whose philosophy is essential to the Catholic worldview. So it is not common to consider transcription, for reasons I briefly mentioned.
HOWEVER -
Her sanctity and honesty have been heavily scrutinized, and Emmerich's life and spirituality deemed worthy of emulation.

I'm willing to quote passages, but I hope people read from a solid set, which TAN is.

It should be noted Bl. Emmerich is VERY strong … call it Apostolic medicine …. and context is essential - Sacrament, liturgy, allegory, elohims, ect.

Meaning, a Protestant / secularist / agnostic is probably going to be bewildered and a bit shocked.
PabloSerna
AG
One of my favorite passages in the life of Jesus was the woman caught in adultery.

It would seem that the scholars had Jesus trapped with THEIR understanding of scripture only to find out that Jesus had the true understanding - mercy and forgiveness.
dermdoc
AG
PabloSerna said:

One of my favorite passages in the life of Jesus was the woman caught in adultery.

It would seem that the scholars had Jesus trapped with THEIR understanding of scripture only to find out that Jesus had the true understanding - mercy and forgiveness.

Kind of like some modern day clergy.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.