AgLiving06 - Israel

10,969 Views | 219 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Seriously77
Aggrad08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Quote:

What does Forum 16 have to do with anything?

You provided a straw man argument. I pointed it out. I'm sorry?
You stated no one believes this, and it's simply not true, its a sentiment commonly espoused

Quote:

Correct. They certainly had ample opportunities and wars to do it. We watched Syria and Iraq both do this in recent years to various groups. There's no reason Israel couldn't have taken all the land during one of the multiple conflicts.
So let's follow this argument to it's conclusion. Where are you going with this, because it smells like a might makes right sort of nonsense.

Quote:

This is abstract and not productive.
It's truly amazing you can write this and not see how much worse an offender you are. It's not abstract in that I can quite easily go into detail to demonstrate the myriad of ways Israel has made things worse and continues to do so. This is the actual abstract, non-productive and literally untrue statement I was responding to that you wrote:"My argument is that the only one striving to improve the situation is Israel."

Quote:

As the video showed, they've agreed 5 times to a separate state. Is this just Israel pretending to accept for marketing purposes?
We are clear that no one can watch that video and come out with a better understanding of what's going on and what has transpired in the past right? That its forcefully biased and incomplete? If you want to discuss any of the oslo negotiations I'm happy to do so. But let's stop with the moronic video. I'll spare you posting some video stating (truthfully) that the PLO recognized Israel's right to exist and accepted UN resolutions 242 and 338 and acting like there is nothing but the other side's unwillingness for peace. If you want to go into detail and learn why those negotiations fell apart in various ways at various times you are going to find a lot of fingers to point at Israel. Much more than poor mister Prager understands.

Quote:

But you do raise a better question...why should Israel offer the Palestinians citizenship? Palestinians have made it clear they don't want to be part of Israel, but instead for Israel to not exist. Why would anybody agree to that?
Some have, others, including yasar arafat have literally stated Israel has a right to exist.

Quote:

But further, Isn't that contradictory to the two-state solution? Palestinians could have their own state with their own government if that's what they wanted.
again, we can talk about the ways in which two-state solution proposals have broken down. But again, you will not find them one sided at all. Some reading on the subject and fewer prager videos will do you some good.

Quote:

Again, this is abstract.
Sure is.Just like your many statements before I was countering. Why is it your abstractions are ok by mine aren't. Why don't you try and answer the questions?

Quote:

Hamas controls the Gaza. Is Israel responsible for that?
In more ways than you seem to understand yes they share responsibility for that.

Quote:

The video said the Palestinians have had 5 opportunities to have their own state.
This can be re-written as " Israel has had 5 opportunities to have peace and be recognized as having a right to exist". Again few prager videos and more reading. Have a look at oslo

Quote:

I struggle to have sympathy for a group that has had more opportunities for freedom peace than a lot of countries in this world
See how this can be flipped around to make boorish attempts at logic. It's what you are doing.

Quote:

Why do Russians support Putin?

For very different reasons.

Quote:

Was there historical conflict? yes...is that why they support Hamas today? No...it's more the culture that grows believing this is the solution. It's always easier to keep with the status quo than to change
.I really don't think you know the history here at all. Maybe take a step back and realize the sum total of your knowledge of the situation comes from a prager video and assume there is more information out there and you are unable to make wise evaluations of the impact of a history you are not aware of.

Quote:

Under this logic, Israel should never make a deal with Palestine since they keep getting rockets shot at them....yet they are at the table.
Under which logic? I didn't say there shouldn't be peace, only you ever so frequently fail to understand the context in which these things are happening. And if we are going to compare the deaths of innocents it will look really bad for Israel.

Quote:

but again, if we are going to continue to let history be the reason we can't progress than there's never going to be progress.
No, we aren't letting history be the reason we can't progress, it's that we aren't getting past the fundamental issues and actions which foment violence

Quote:

Arafat( Netanyahu, Rabin, )could have been the cause of peace (maybe). Would have been celebrated as a legend with Nobel Peace prizes galore. But he was weak.
FIFY. How is that any less true?

Quote:

Netanyahu is like to lose the Prime Minister role, so there's even more opportunity to start fresh....or we can continue to live in the past.
What does it mean to you to start fresh?

Quote:

Like I said above, the odds of Netanyahu losing power, at least for a time, is very likely. Will this lead to Palestine finally agreeing to a solution? I think the answer will probably be no.
Do you think the only thing standing in the way of peace on Israel's side is Bibi?

AgLiving06
So...went to hit send and must have closed out my post on accident. That's frustrating.
----------------------------
Quote:

You stated no one believes this, and it's simply not true, its a sentiment commonly espoused

IF that's true then your response also seems to fit reasonably well on F16 right?

To use the logic that "someone somewhere said something" is your justification seems just a poorly reasoned right?

Quote:

So let's follow this argument to it's conclusion. Where are you going with this, because it smells like a might makes right sort of nonsense.

Where am I going with this? Nowhere?

I'm saying that Israel had ample opportunity to have taken the whole area, and I believe at one point they did. They could have acted as a dictator or oppressor and held the land, but they didn't.

Quote:

We are clear that no one can watch that video and come out with a better understanding of what's going on and what has transpired in the past right? That its forcefully biased and incomplete? If you want to discuss any of the oslo negotiations I'm happy to do so. But let's stop with the moronic video. I'll spare you posting some video stating (truthfully) that the PLO recognized Israel's right to exist and accepted UN resolutions 242 and 338 and acting like there is nothing but the other side's unwillingness for peace. If you want to go into detail and learn why those negotiations fell apart in various ways at various times you are going to find a lot of fingers to point at Israel. Much more than poor mister Prager understands.

I guess I missed where Abbas took up arms against Hamas during this last fight to protect Israel.

Or, he could use the fight to call for Isreal to leave the Temple Mount.

Link: Link

Seems he's going to blame the Jews

Quote:

Some have, others, including yasar arafat have literally stated Israel has a right to exist.

Yet the Palestinians would vote them out in favor of Hamas....

Quote:

again, we can talk about the ways in which two-state solution proposals have broken down. But again, you will not find them one sided at all. Some reading on the subject and fewer prager videos will do you some good.

You do realize I didn't link the Prager video right? I'm not sure you do.

Here's the consistent theme of two-state solutions:

1. US, Israel and Palestine meet to negotiate
2. US supports a deal
3. Israel supports a deal
4. Palestine backs out of negotiations.

But more on this later.

Quote:

In more ways than you seem to understand yes they share responsibility for that.

Good. Elaborate. How did the Gaza go from doing ok under israel, to tunnels being built and rockets being shot from civilian buildings?

Quote:

See how this can be flipped around to make boorish attempts at logic. It's what you are doing.

You realize swapping freedom for peace does not change my sentence right?

Palestine could have freedom. Palestine could have peace. Palestine has thus far chosen neither and instead supports Hamas.

Quote:

Have a look at oslo

Here's the wiki: Wiki

Do you disagree with it? You seem to think there's some grand thing here, but I'm not seeing it.

Btw, I did find this quote interesting:

"The Accords were strongly opposed by a large portion of the Palestinian population; philosopher Edward Said famously described them as a "Palestinian Versailles"."

Quote:

FIFY. How is that any less true?

For one, Netanyahu and Rabin agreed to deals. What you are seemingly saying is that as long as Palestine demanded more, Israel should have given up more. Where does it stop? When there is no Israel? You must not negotiate much if you think that's a viable strategy and/or one used by anybody.

But lets not take my word for it. Lets have Bill Clinton speak:

Newsweek: Link

Quote:

Clinton said, somewhat surprisingly, that he never expected to close the deal at Camp David. But he made it clear that the breakdown of the peace process and the nine months of deadly intifada since then were very much on his mind. He described Arafat as an aging leader who relishes his own sense of victimhood and seems incapable of making a final peace deal. "He could only get to step five, and he needed to get to step 10," the former president said. But Clinton expressed hope in the younger generation of Palestinian officials, suggesting that a post-Arafat Palestinian leader might be able to make peace, perhaps in as little as several years. "I'm just sorry I blew this Middle East" thing, Clinton said shortly before leaving. "But I don't know what else I could have done."

Clinton was critical of the exact same reasoning that many on this thread are using to protect Palestine and what you claimed was abstract. Sadly the new Palestinian leadership seemingly has taken the same victimhood approach and many on here continue to support that.

Quote:

Do you think the only thing standing in the way of peace on Israel's side is Bibi?

This is the irony of all of this.

Israel can swap out its Prime Ministers. The US can swap out Presidents. Palestine doesn't do any of this, yet it's always Israel's fault in your mind.
Aggrad08
AG

Quote:

IF that's true then your response also seems to fit reasonably well on F16 right?
If fits reasonably well with the poster I responded to, and frankly your views don't seem far from here as well. You allow for tiny bits of nuance but doesn't appear much more.

Quote:

Where am I going with this? Nowhere?
Then why are you wasting time with it?

Quote:

I'm saying that Israel had ample opportunity to have taken the whole area, and I believe at one point they did. They could have acted as a dictator or oppressor and held the land, but they didn't.
They did and do act as oppressors. If your point is they could have been worse then...so? I mean really, what kind of point is that? The Palestinians could be more vicious as well. It hardly justifies their violent actions.

Quote:

I guess I missed where Abbas took up arms against Hamas during this last fight to protect Israel.

You need to gather your thoughts more coherently as you are going off in wild directions and not even answering my posts, just responding, so let's cut this down.

Quote:

You do realize I didn't link the Prager video right? I'm not sure you do.
I do, your argument keeps coming back to reference it, which makes me understand that you think it's a valuable synopsis, which in short is a declaration of ignorance.

Quote:

Good. Elaborate. How did the Gaza go from doing ok under israel, to tunnels being built and rockets being shot from civilian buildings?

As an adult, I'm going to give you the opportunity to re-examine the idea that things were "ok" and then it went to violence. Gaza's situation got continually worse after Egypt lost control. Today gaza is an open air prison in many ways. The article below and many others can walk you through the suffering in Gaza that long predated hamas, you can also look at how weak fatah was (in part due to their own stupidity in part for their role in the oslo and it's aftermath.

Quote:

You realize swapping freedom for peace does not change my sentence right?
Yes, the point is it suddenly applies to Israel, your blinders are so large you can't even see it.

Quote:

Palestine could have Israel has freedom. Palestine Israel could have peace. Palestine Israel has thus far chosen neither and instead supports Hamas Likud candidates.
And first, it's just a little bit silly to claim Palestinians could have freedom. Please tell me what they could do to have full rights? Describe it. And as your blinders were too big to see above, your silly statements could be written the way I have above and be as valid (which is to say desperately simplistic and ignorant)

Quote:

Here's the wiki: Wiki

Do you disagree with it? You seem to think there's some grand thing here, but I'm not seeing it.

Dig a bit deeper. Read through this and some of the links within.
The Failure of the Oslo Accords UC Press Blog

While nearly any sign of substantive progress was a welcome development in the Arab-Israeli conflict amidst the First Intifada, any serious analyst could see just how unfavorable the terms of the agreement actually were for Palestinians. Far from providing the foundations of a workable and just peace agreement, the Oslo Accords should now be understood for what they have always been, in the words of Edward Said: "an instrument of Palestinian surrender" as the "primary consideration in the document is for Israel's security, with none for the Palestinians' security from Israel's incursions."

Writing in 2001, Mouin Rabbani argues that the Second Intifada was merely the "inevitable conclusion" to the Oslo Accords. Rabbani notes that while most West Bank and Gaza Palestinians initially supported the Oslo Accords, "the fact that military occupation, settler colonization, and economic underdevelopment preceded Oslo is less significant than the reality that, since Oslo, they have been consolidated where most expected their removal." This consolidation was indisputably intentional, as the accords were never really meant to solve the conflict but rather further Israeli control over Palestine and Palestinians as the developments over the last twenty-five years have shown. As all other issues including the legitimate rights of Palestinians were subordinated to the security interests of Israel, while the Oslo Accords simply "formalizes arrangements tantamount to apartheid."

Why the Oslo Accords Failed

The Fatal Flaw That Doomed the Oslo Accords

"Throughout the interim years of the Oslo Accords, Israeli settlement activity was allowed to continue unhampered, with the number of settlers increasing from 110,000 on the eve of the Accords in 1993 to 185,000 in 2000, during the negotiations over a final status, to 430,000 today. That increase seriously undermined the notion that Israel was sincere about making way for a Palestinian state in the West Bank and Gaza.

Palestinian leaders, meanwhile, continued pursuing what they referred to as the "Right of Return," their demand that ever-growing numbers of Palestinians be allowed to settle within the territory of pre-1967 Israel, which would render Jews a minority in an Arab state"

What you are simplistically understanding is that Oslo offered the Palestinians what they wanted or even delivered on what it did offer. It's just not true. Oslo was at best an attempt at a pre-agreement meant to be a first step toward talking without a gun in the hopes that future agreements would have a firmer foundation.

And I do think the description of a Palestinian Treaty of Versailles is reasonable in that it was fundamentally flawed.

Quote:

For one, Netanyahu and Rabin agreed to deals. What you are seemingly saying is that as long as Palestine demanded more, Israel should have given up more. Where does it stop? When there is no Israel? You must not negotiate much if you think that's a viable strategy and/or one used by anybody.
You realize that any deal you reference by definition is a two party agreement? And if it wasn't they only agreed to their "offer", not a deal. It somehow seems you don't. And if you look at the details of those deals it's simply not hard to see why Palestinians weren't satisfied.

And the idea that Israel is being forced to give too much is just silly. The Israelis are arguing from power and each agreement has been more favorable to them than not.

The opposite of what you state has actually been the norm between these two peoples. This isn't an even power negotiation. It's like an abusive father negotiating with his 14 year old headed for the juvenile pen.

It's a negotiation between native Americans and the US or European powers. It's inherently likely that the weaker group won't get much. In the past the weaker group is usually destroyed, like with Jewish wars with rome. Today we aren't going to stand by for such things but we haven't figured out how to move forward either in many situations such as this. The cases of success however almost universally allow for significant leniency and development of economic and physical security for the weaker party.

Quote:

Clinton was critical of the exact same reasoning that many on this thread are using to protect Palestine and what you claimed was abstract. Sadly the new Palestinian leadership seemingly has taken the same victimhood approach and many on here continue to support that.

In what way are they not victims who need their situation fundamentally addressed? And what makes you think that the claims and issues with these deals cited by Palestinians are illegitimate.

Quote:

srael can swap out its Prime Ministers. The US can swap out Presidents. Palestine doesn't do any of this, yet it's always Israel's fault in your mind.
No, I just find your simplistic and underinformed understanding aggravating. It's not "always Israels fault". However, Israel has repeatedly and significantly played a role in making things worse and or maintaining a hopeless status quo. I'm not saying the Palestinians are blameless or nearly so. But you are ignorantly claiming the opposite.

So let's make this clear, the Palestinians do plenty wrong and share blame. But your notion that Israel is the sole force for peace and virtually the only obstacle to peace is the Palestinians themselves is in a word, ignorant.
AgLiving06
Quote:

If fits reasonably well with the poster I responded to, and frankly your views don't seem far from here as well. You allow for tiny bits of nuance but doesn't appear much more.

Based off this response, I'm not going to respond further to anything you've written.

God bless.
craigernaught
AG
Convenient
Zobel
AG
This is pretty interesting reading. King-Crane commission sent by President Wilson after WWI in 1919 on how to structure (impose) borders on the former Ottoman Empire.

http://www.hri.org/docs/king-crane/syria-recomm.html

An excerpt
Quote:

For "a national home for the Jewish people" is not equivalent to making Palestine into a Jewish State; nor can the erection of such a Jewish State be accomplished without the gravest trespass upon the "civil and religious rights of existing non-Jewish communities in Palestine." The fact came out repeatedly in the Commission's conference with Jewish representatives, that the Zionists looked forward to a practically complete dispossession of the present non-Jewish inhabitants of Palestine, by various forms of purchase.

In his address of July 4, 1918, President Wilson laid down the following principle as one of the four great "ends for which the associated peoples of the world were fighting"; "The settlement of every question, whether of territory, of sovereignty, of economic arrangement, or of political relationship upon the basis of the free acceptance of that settlement by the people immediately concerned and not upon the basis of the material interest or advantage of any other nation or people which may desire a different settlement for the sake of its own exterior influence or mastery." If that principle is to rule, and so the wishes of Palestine's population are to be decisive as to what is to be done with Palestine, then it is to be remembered that the non-Jewish population of Palestine-nearly nine tenths of the whole-are emphatically against the entire Zionist program. The tables show that there was no one thing upon which the population of Palestine were more agreed than upon this. To subject a people so minded to unlimited Jewish immigration, and to steady financial and social pressure to surrender the land, would be a gross violation of the principle just quoted, and of the people's rights, though it kept within the forms of law

It is to be noted also that the feeling against the Zionist program is not confined to Palestine, but shared very generally by the people throughout Syria as our conferences clearly showed. More than 72 per cent-1,350 in all-of all the petitions in the whole of Syria were directed against the Zionist program. Only two requests-those for a united Syria and for independence-had a larger support This genera] feeling was only voiced by the "General Syrian Congress," in the seventh, eighth and tenth resolutions of the statement. (Already quoted in the report.)

The Peace Conference should not shut its eyes to the fact that the anti-Zionist feeling in Palestine and Syria is intense and not lightly to be flouted. No British officer, consulted by the Commissioners, believed that the Zionist program could be carried out except by force of arms. The officers generally thought that a force of not less than 50,000 soldiers would be required even to initiate the program. That of itself is evidence of a strong sense of the injustice of the Zionist program, on the part of the non-Jewish populations of Palestine and Syria. Decisions, requiring armies to carry out, are sometimes necessary, but they are surely not gratuitously to be taken in the interests of a serious injustice. For the initial claim, often submitted by Zionist representatives, that they have a "right" to Palestine, based on an occupation of 2,000 years ago, can hardly be seriously considered.
Zobel
AG
Anyone wanting to get the jist of the situation should read the Palin commission report which investigated the 1920 Nebi Musa Riots.

https://en.m.wikisource.org/wiki/Palin_Report

Some excerpts -

Quote:

From the very beginning the Extremists among the Zionists both in their writings and speeches adopted one interpretation only of the Balfour Declaration. There was no question of moderate colonisation or a National Home, but a declaration of Palestine as a Jewish State, "as Jewish as England is English" (Mr. Joseph Cohen in a letter to The Times of September 19th, 1919). The loose language of the politicians was seized upon and elaborated into a naked demand for the expulsion of the Arabs. Mr. Eperlin wrote a pamphlet entitled "An open book by one Zionist to the Arabs" telling the Arabs they must leave Palestine and emigrate to the Hedjaz. It is true that the more sober minded among the Zionists assisted in the suppression of the pamphlet, but the mischief was done. Mr. Israel Zangwill added his literary gifts to fan the flame. Mr. Leon Simon wrote an article in the Zionist Review which, in spite of the apparent moderation of its conclusion was hardly calculated to pacify a panic stricken people. He begins by a reference to the Arab population: "There will be", he says, "a state of Palestine containing a number of Arab inhabitants, etc." One might almost imagine he was referring to a handful of gipsy nomads such as infest the waste lands of Alexandria rather than to the great majority of the population of a country. Later he goes on to state: "There are in theory at least three possible policies, any one of which the Zionists might advocate now and might strive to get carried out whenever their influence in the state of Palestine becomes strong enough. These are (1) to remove the Arabs from the country by force if they would not go of their own free will; (2) to leave the Arabs in the country, but to put them in a position inferior to that of the Jews; and (3) to leave the Arabs in the country and invite them to take as much share as they are or may become capable of taking in its [p22] development, making no distinction between Jew and Arab from the point of view of political or economic rights."

It is hardly important that Mr. Simon ultimately accepted the third alternative. The effect of the mere statement of these monstrous propositions on a proud people who consider themselves rightly masters of the soil may be easier imagined than described. The mere fact that Mr. Simon was driven to write such an article in reprobation of the excesses of his fellow Zionists may well pardon the wildest fears of the existing population.

To the native, they [the zionists] seem to have adopted an attitude at first contemptuous and peremptory, and later, when they became aware of the growing feeling aroused by their attitude, a resentment not unmingled with fear.

Cet animal est tres mechant Si en l'attaque il se defend. (Roughly if the animal is attacked he will defend himself)

Towards the Administration they adopted the attitude of "We want the Jewish State and we won't wait", and they did not hesitate to avail themselves of every means open to them in this country and abroad to force; the hand of an Administration bound to respect the "Status Quo" and to commit it, and thereby future Administrations, to a policy not contemplated in the Balfour Declaration.. It is not to be wondered at that the Arab population complained of bias on the part of the Administration in favour of the Jews. They see the Administration repeatedly overruled by the Zionist Commission; they see the Zionist Commission intermeddling in every department of Government, in Justice, Public Health, Legislation, Public Works, and forcing the Administration as in the case of the Wilhelma Concession to interfere in their favour, in a purely business transaction. They see Jews excluded from the operations of the Public Custodian with regard to enemy property: they have seen the introduction of the Hebrew language on an equality with Arabic and English: they have seen considerable immigration not effectively controlled: they see Zionist stamps on letters and Zionist young men drilling publicly in the open spaces of the town. Finally they have seen them proceeding to the election of a Constituent Assembly. What more natural than that they should fail to realise the immense difficulties the Administration was and is labouring under and come to the conclusion that the openly published demands of the Jews were to be granted and the guarantees in the Declaration were to become but a dead letter?
We have then arrived at a condition of affairs where the native population, disappointed of their hopes, panic-stricken as to their future, exasperated beyond endurance by the aggressive attitude of the Zionists, and despairing of redress at the hands of an Administration which seems to them powerless before the Zionist organisation, lies a ready prey for any form of agitation hostile to the British Government and the Jews. Such agitation was not and is not wanting.
Zobel
AG
Couple more pieces -

Quote:

It is impossible to exaggerate the gravity of the position erected in Palestine by the various misunderstandings and indiscretions narrated in the foregoing report. On the one hand we are faced with a native population thoroughly exasperated by a sense of injustice and disappointed hopes, panic stricken as to their future and as to ninety per cent of their numbers in consequence bitterly hostile to the British Administration. They are supported and played upon by every element in the Near East of an anti-British character and are ready to throw in their lot with any leader who will rise in revolt against Allied Authority. Already it is said that elaborate plans are being discussed and dates fixed for an insurrection which may involve the whole of Islam in the Near East...

On the other hand we have the Zionists, whose impatience to achieve their ultimate goal and indiscretion are largely responsible for this unhappy state of feeling, now bitterly hostile to the British Administration and suffering under a sense of injuries inflicted, which, in their view, ought to have been anticipated and avoided. They are ready to use their powerful foreign and home influence to force the hand of this or any future Administration. If not carefully checked they may easily precipitate a catastrophe, the end of which it is difficult to forecast. While it is certainly not a case for despair, it is equally certain that what is needed is a very firm hand exercised by the Mandatory Power, making it quite clear to all parties that while the Balfour Declaration is a chose jugee which will most inevitably be executed, the Administration will nevertheless hold the scales as between all parties with rigid equality: that the Zionists must be content to exercise patience and gain their National Home by such gradual and reasonable methods as the country is capable of supporting and that the native population must cease from allowing themselves to become the catspaw of anti-Allied and anti-Christian conspirators and learn to acquire a perfect confidence in the Administration's firm resolution to protect them and their interests in the country which they have an undoubted right to consider their own.

Conclusions
Quote:

The following are the considered opinions submitted by the Court:-

That the causes of the alienation and exasperation of the feelings of the population of Palestine are:-

Disappointment at the non-fulfilment of promises made to them by British propaganda.

Inability to reconcile the Allies' declared policy of self-determination with the Balfour Declaration, giving rise to a sense of betrayal and intense anxiety for their future.

Misapprehension of the true meaning of the Balfour Declaration and forgetfulness of the guarantees determined therein, due to the loose rhetoric of politicians and the exaggerated statements and writings of interested persons, chiefly Zionists.

Fear of Jewish competition and domination, justified by experience and the apparent control exercised by the Zionists over the Administration.

Zionist indiscretion and aggression, since the Balfour Declaration aggravating such fears.

Anti-British and anti-Zionist propaganda working on the population already inflamed by the sources of irritation aforesaid.

That the Zionist Commission and the official Zionists by their impatience, indiscretion and attempts to force the hands of the Administration, are largely responsible for the present crisis [the riots].
That the situation at present obtaining in Palestine is exceedingly dangerous and demands firm and patient handling if a serious catastrophe is to be avoided.
craigernaught
AG
I find it incredibly sad that there is so little sympathy for Palestinians among Americans, particularly conservatives and Christians. For a people who claim to hold liberty, individual rights, and self governance in high regard, they don't seem to care much that Palestinians have been denied these things with the support of our own government. We gladly dish out blame to Palestinians as if the individuals who were born in Jerusalem, Bethlehem, Hebron, Jericho, and Ramallah just deserve this kind of treatment in perpetuity based on their ethnicity.

I think one of the reasons there is so much sympathy for Israelis is because all of us know a lot about Jewish history, culture, and religion. Due to historical circumstance and the great talent and hard work of many Jews, we can name multiple historical figures, authors, academics, entertainers, businessmen, and politicians. But how many Palestinians do we know? Even just personally? Many of us have taken trips to Israel, but who has gone to Hebron and Ramallah? Who has stayed overnight? Or accepted invitations to their homes and talked them of family or business?

The lack of sympathy and knowledge of their perspective and arguments is understandable, I think, because we don't know them.

When I moved over here, and after a while your neighbor tells you he hasn't been home in 55 years and that your friend tells you that she has no citizenship anywhere and just wants a passport so she can travel and get an education and find meaningful work, you're shocked just by how normal they are and how they tell you horrendous stories in just a matter of fact manner.

Why can't my friend, who can literally see his house from this side of the river, just go home again? Why can't we say, despite all the failures of politics over so many decades, that this is simply wrong? He has the keys. There's someone else living in his home. He isn't angry. He isn't vengeful. He isn't antisemitic or anything even close. He's built a good life for himself here. But he just wants to go home. Who can blame him?

Zobel, perhaps Orthodox Christians approaches this differently given that so many Arab and Palestinian Christians are Orthodox. Maybe not, I don't know. But I can personally attest to meeting western Christians visiting the Holy Land and who were convinced that the Palestinian, Orthodox churches and priests were all just actors hired by Palestinians to trick western tourists in an effort to harm Israel and advance the Palestinian cause.

I encourage everyone who is interested to search out the stories, experiences, and arguments of actual Palestinians rather than just hearing what others say about them, especially common people as their political leadership has been so awful for so long.
Serotonin
AG
Excellent post.

In 'A River Runs Through It' the father (Presbyterian minister) states that "Methodists are just Baptists who can read."

The contempt that Christians can show for other Christians seems to be paused for Jews since they are seen as actors in God's plan. If the modern nation-state of Israel is a key part of your theology then you're probably going to be pro-Israel no matter what.

Meanwhile Christians with slightly different beliefs receive disdain and scorn usually reserved for Atheists and Muslims.
PacifistAg
AG
Sadly, Israel's ethnic cleansing now how Lifta in its sights. The last remaining Palestinian village that hasn't been demolished or "resettled" since the Palestinians were forced out in 1948. We visited Lifta when I went there with CPT. I still remember standing in their mosque.

https://instagr.am/p/CPgRqC1NnYY
HarleySpoon
AG
Pragmatically, Israel is not going away, nor is fundamental Islam. Terrorism is a non starter for just about every civilized, political entity outside of that region. Palestinians that don't espouse terrorism need to decide if they want to go the path of the Irish or the Comanches. If they want to go the path of the Irish, then they have a huge and ugly job ahead of them dealing with many of their neighbors. Not a great position to be in and I'm sympathetic to the situation.

Every other debate, including most on this thread, is just the same old navel gazing I've observed since I began following the topic in 1973. And yes, I know the history well.my long time business partner's grandfather negotiated the independence of a country in the region in Paris in 1919.and his brother was recently a prime minister in the region.

The Palestinian people have the power to fix their problembut their internal task is a terribly difficult one.
craigernaught
AG
Quote:

The Palestinian people have the power to fix their problem

What power is that?
Zobel
AG
Their "Ireland" is currently being lived in by other people. I feel like this a fairly important point.

Also, seriously - navel gazing? This dismissive attitude promotes aggressive, arrogant ignorance. How we got here is only irrelevant if you approve of the idea that pragmatism is the only deciding factor. In that case, of course, you have no grounds for decrying terrorism or any other kind of war fighting in the name of "civilized" political entities. It's hypocrisy of the highest order.
craigernaught
AG
Quote:

Terrorism is a non starter for just about every civilized, political entity outside of that region.

I liked this sentence. Which civilized political entity in the region approves of terrorism? Bizarre.
Ags4DaWin
craigernaught said:

Quote:

What power is that?

To police their own and make it clear to Hamas and the PNA that they will not support the use of terrorism anymore.

Once civilian support goes away and once the civilians turn on the PNA and Hamas, the two groups would very quickly go away or change their tactics and methods.

If the people rose up and demanded peace then peace would be had. There are multiple examples of this throughput history.
schmendeler
AG
Fantasy
craigernaught
AG
The PNA was established in the mid 90s and Hamas in 1987. To assume that these groups are the impediments to peace is nonsense. If they're what's stopping peace, how do we explain the previous many decades of conflict?

This view is particularly problematic given that the PNA was created as a result of the peace process at Oslo. The PNA for all its many faults has recognized Israel, has tried to govern, and has cooperated with the Israelis on peace and security. Hamas wins elections precisely because the PNA has failed to make any progress with the Israelis on a Palestinian state even when they tried exactly what you're describing. Netanyahu and right-wing Israelis oppose Oslo and a two-state solution, not because of violence from Palestinians but on principle of Jewish rights to all the land. They opposed it then and they oppose it now. The right wins elections in Israel for the same reasons Hamas wins them: the moderates have failed to achieve peace. What you're describing here is totally at odds with the basic reality of the conflict since 1948.

Worse, your "solution" of "peace and capitulation" by the Palestinians puts no responsibility, whatsoever, on the Israelis. I don't know how any honest and knowledgeable person gets to this type of conclusion.

I'm begging you. Read about the conflict from the view of Palestinians. Talk to Palestinians. Maybe even one day visit Hebron, Nablus, and East Jerusalem. You'll be fine. The food is good. Stop watching dumb propaganda like Prager videos. You can still end up being pro-Israeli. But you're going to have a better understanding of the situation.
Agthatbuilds
Ive read a lot of this thread. I'm not in any way as educated on this subject as many of yall.

That said, reading this thread and the little i do know...

There is no solution. The two state solution seems to be a pipe dream.

A single state solution seems to be a no go.

So, where does it go? The only real resolution would be for one side to "win" and the other side to completely capitulate to the victors.
HarleySpoon
AG
craigernaught said:

Quote:

What power is that?
See my post.
HarleySpoon
AG
Zobel said:

Their "Ireland" is currently being lived in by other people. I feel like this a fairly important point.

Also, seriously - navel gazing? This dismissive attitude promotes aggressive, arrogant ignorance. How we got here is only irrelevant if you approve of the idea that pragmatism is the only deciding factor. In that case, of course, you have no grounds for decrying terrorism or any other kind of war fighting in the name of "civilized" political entities. It's hypocrisy of the highest order.
Having worked in Northern Ireland for many months back in the 80's, I can assure you the Catholic majority felt and was occupied and ruled by the Protestant majority.

And yes.navel gazing. Debate the impossible for decades while the death and misery continue all while trying to win a debating competition sitting safe in one's home far from the misery.yep, navel gazing. Welcome or how war works in the real world and has for 5,000 years. Palestinians have a choiceComanches or Irish. The Asian-Indian path is no longer a possibility. Keep navel gazing and check back with me in 20 years.I'll be close to witnessing the death and destruction for my entire life by that time.
HarleySpoon
AG
craigernaught said:

Quote:

Terrorism is a non starter for just about every civilized, political entity outside of that region.

I liked this sentence. Which civilized political entity in the region approves of terrorism? Bizarre.
Trick question? Iran. Unless you don't think Persians are a civilized society.
craigernaught
AG
You said civilized political entity, not society. Iran is certainly a civilized society, but they aren't a civilized political entity. I don't think those are the same.

If you meant society not entity, then that makes sense. Iran certainly approves of terrorism, as do a number of other states in the region and outside of it.
craigernaught
AG
HarleySpoon said:

craigernaught said:

Quote:

What power is that?
See my post.

I'm confused. Explain it to me. I must be missing something.
Zobel
AG
I don't know much about the conflict in Ireland except that it was conquered in the 1100s. Palestine was 90% Arab as recently as 1920. If you think that Ireland is a good analogy, I'd like to hear why.
HarleySpoon
AG
craigernaught said:

Quote:

So we are in agreement that Iran and a number of other political entities in the region approve of terrorism? Is Persia/Iran/Iraq not considered part of civilization? I think the challenge is that my intent with "civilized" is meant to mean an advanced culture not the other definition meaning "polite." Although, I've met quite a number of polite Persians...but they all immigrated just before and after the most recent revolution.

Yes, it's about the only region where a significant portion of political entities approve of terrorism.
HarleySpoon
AG
craigernaught said:

HarleySpoon said:

craigernaught said:

Quote:

What power is that?
See my post.

I'm confused. Explain it to me. I must be missing something.
I thought my point was obvious......Ags4dawin elaborates a few post down from mine:

"To police their own and make it clear to Hamas and the PNA that they will not support the use of terrorism anymore.

Once civilian support goes away and once the civilians turn on the PNA and Hamas, the two groups would very quickly go away or change their tactics and methods.

If the people rose up and demanded peace then peace would be had. There are multiple examples of this throughput history."

A tough row to hoe for the individual Palestinian, but it is where they find themselves.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Quote:

Yes, it's about the only region where a significant portion of political entities approve of terrorism.
I've made this point on this thread already, but terrorism is a matter of perspective. Throwing a ship full of tea into Boston harbor was an act of terrorism if you were British. The attack on Fort Sumter was an attack of terrorism to the Union. The assassination of Archduke Ferdinand was terrorism if you were Austrian. Lawrence of Arabia was a terrorist if you were Ottoman. Francis Drake was a terrorist to anyone but the English. The defense of the Alamo was an act of terrorism to Mexico.

No one supports terrorism. But some countries support actions that we consider terrorism. They do not consider these actions terrorism. They consider violence an appropriate response to the circumstances, as we consider violence acceptable in other circumstances. I can think of many on this site talking about using any necessary level of violence to keep their rights, even against their own government. By one perspective that is terrorism.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
one MEEN Ag
AG
I think you're confusing terrorism with guerilla warfare.

A terrorist harms strikes civilian populations in the name of an ideology.

A guerilla soldier strikes an unsuspecting military targets without visually identifying themselves.

ramblin_ag02
AG
one MEEN Ag said:

A guerilla soldier strikes an unsuspecting military targets without visually identifying themselves.

Again, that's still a matter of perspective. Israel has one of the highest percentage of gun ownership and mandatory military service. So from one perspective Israel has very few "civilians ". Not my perspective, but a perspective
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
one MEEN Ag
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

one MEEN Ag said:

Again, that's still a matter of perspective. Israel has one of the highest percentage of gun ownership and mandatory military service. So from one perspective Israel has very few "civilians ". Not my perspective, but a perspective
Then by your definition a terrorist is just anyone with a gun.

Words have meaning, even if they are connotative and fluid. Your definition of a terrorist is way broader than what the word is commonly used to describe. We're now in the 'well thats your opinion man' level of applying concepts and definitions. Which means we will quickly be arriving at a fully relativistic world view of morality.
ramblin_ag02
AG
I must have spoken unclearly. I don't think the Israeli populace who have guns and military training are terrorists. I just can see the argument that there are very few true civilains in Israel. You said terrorists attack civilian targets. I'm saying that by one perspective there are almost no civilian targets in Israel. Even children will one day be required to provide military service, and several on here have already endorsed the pre-emptive first strike. So if you know these children are going to grow up and serve in the military in 10 years, are they even really civilians?

I don't believe any of that, but I'm trying to make the point that Hamas does not think they are terrorists. Iran does not think the paramilitary groups they support are terrorists. Very few people think they are evil and actively embrace evil acts. Usually there is some other perspective that makes these people think they are doing a righteous thing and not an evil one. Now some people like the Unabomber are one-off nut jobs. No need to delve into his psyche. Just catch him and lock him up. The situation is different when millions of people are convinced that their evil actions are actually good. It doesn't make their actions good, but it merits a little more scrutiny to understand their viewpoint.
Agthatbuilds
Kill the children because they will one day be soldiers? I dont see how that is an argument.

ramblin_ag02
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

Kill the children because they will one day be soldiers? I dont see how that is an argument.

LIke I said, it's not my perspective, but it flows pretty logically even from arguments made on this thread by people other than me. Namely the "strike first if a threat is certain" doctrine. The idea also has a long and extensive use throughout history
Zobel
AG
I don't see how "Israel is in the right because they conquered the land" is much of an argument either, yet here we are.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.