Pope says Global warming could cause another great flood..

2,544 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Thaddeus73
Ragoo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quad Dog said:

That leads me to a lot of questions:
Were there clouds?
If so, what prevented then from turning into rain clouds?
How did the water cycle work?
How did they irritate crops?
How humid was it?
Was just everything constantly covered in dew?
What about other forms of precipitation, snow, hail, sleet?
What changed that started all the above?
ask yourself this:
If water covered the earth, during the great flood, where did it all go? Flood waters recede because of gravity. But if water covers all the earth the surface is sea level.
Post removed:
by user
Ragoo
AG
AstroAg17 said:

Ragoo said:

schmendeler said:

I love the thought process that a "scholar" would be able to explain how it didn't rain and the Earth was like a terrarium in the time of Noah.
I meant scholar of theology, obviously
Is that really the best type of scholar to talk about historical water cycles?
the thread is about the Pope who I assume by association with Christianity believes in Creation, so yes.
Post removed:
by user
Ragoo
AG
AstroAg17 said:

He doesn't believe the story in genesis happened. He has described the flood as a myth. Most Christians don't believe in a literal interpretation of genesis.

When you say Creation I don't 100% know exactly what you mean.
are you saying most Christians don't believe the bible is the word of God?

Creation: Genesis Chapter 1. How is this even a question?
Quad Dog
AG
The water went to the same magical place it came from. I thought your claim was it didn't rain before the great flood. Which lead me to question how that worked.

Just to be clear: I don't believe any of this happened, the lack of rain, a great flood, or Noah and his ark. I'm just trying to understand your beliefs out of curiosity.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
Ordhound04
AG
Ragoo said:

AstroAg17 said:

He doesn't believe the story in genesis happened. He has described the flood as a myth. Most Christians don't believe in a literal interpretation of genesis.

When you say Creation I don't 100% know exactly what you mean.
are you saying most Christians don't believe the bible is the word of God?

Creation: Genesis Chapter 1. How is this even a question?

I think he's saying that most Christians, understand that Genesis is not to be read like a history textbook.

To expand a little bit. When we take a blunt literalism to the seven days of creation, we miss out on all the rich theological content of the writing. We see it's clear that the writer of Genesis was aware of other creation myths, This writing kind of turned them on its head. In a world where people were people worshiped the sun, Mountains, the winds, etc we see a creation story that shows it is not creation that is to be worshiped but the creator. If we instead read it like a newspaper article, we miss so much.
ABATTBQ87
AG
Ragoo said:

Quad Dog said:

That leads me to a lot of questions:
Were there clouds?
If so, what prevented then from turning into rain clouds?
How did the water cycle work?
How did they irritate crops?
How humid was it?
Was just everything constantly covered in dew?
What about other forms of precipitation, snow, hail, sleet?
What changed that started all the above?
ask yourself this:
If water covered the earth, during the great flood, where did it all go? Flood waters recede because of gravity. But if water covers all the earth the surface is sea level.
Genesis 2:5 When no bush of the field was yet in the land and no small plant of the field had yet sprung upfor the Lord God had not caused it to rain on the land, and there was no man to work the ground, 6 and a mist was going up from the land and was watering the whole face of the ground 7 then the Lord God formed the man of dust from the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living creature.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

It still amazes me that people believe that we can change the climate of the ENTIRE PLANET by doing or not doing something.

Then I look at Corvid and see why.

The bigger the lie, the easier it is to sell.

Yeah, who'd think 7 billion people would make a noticeable different on the surface of the Earth
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Aggrad08
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

Stat Monitor Repairman said:

It still amazes me that people believe that we can change the climate of the ENTIRE PLANET by doing or not doing something.

Then I look at Corvid and see why.

The bigger the lie, the easier it is to sell.

Yeah, who'd think 7 billion people would make a noticeable different on the surface of the Earth

I hear this argument over and over and I can't imagine what people are thinking. Humans destroy entire ecosystems, cause extinction and have to make deliberate efforts in situations where they actually want to preserve nature, yet somehow it's absurd to think we could nudge the thermostat a degree or two?
chimpanzee
Francis sees that people care about climate change more than their own immortal souls, so he's riding that pony, again, to try and latch on to some vestige of morality that is being discussed in the secular world.

Everything has an impact, surely human endeavors impact the ecosystem we live in. The attempts at quantification of this impact and the ipso factos that politically follow from them don't make sense to me in a world that has had humans on it at least since Montreal was covered in ten thousand feet of ice.
Thaddeus73
AG
It's easy to create global warming - Just move the thermometer from out of the shade into the sun, and there you have it...
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.