Pope says Global warming could cause another great flood..

2,533 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Thaddeus73
Thaddeus73
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Really? Really? Does he even know about the rainbow?
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9316549/Pope-Francis-warns-mankind-faces-second-great-flood-caused-global-warming.html
Post removed:
by user
Thaddeus73
AG
Yes
Post removed:
by user
schmendeler
AG
i love the mental picture of someone angrily asking the pope, "DO YOU EVEN KNOW ABOUT THE RAINBOW?!?""
ramblin_ag02
AG
According to google, there is not enough water on Earth to fully submerge all of the land even if all the ice melted.

Rainbow checkmate atheists
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
PacifistAg
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

According to google, there is not enough water on Earth to fully submerge all of the land even if all the ice melted.

Rainbow checkmate atheists
Which leads to the obvious question...can God create so much land that even He couldn't flood it all?
Post removed:
by user
PabloSerna
AG
Wow.. did some searching on what happened to former priest Dale Fushek. It is very sad that he may have been sabotaged by people who disagreed with the vision of the Catholic Church. Not unlike the the views expressed here, I can only imagine that they are on another level when a new Bishop arrives.

Y'all can search on your own. But like my mom always said, there are two sides to every story.

+pablo

RebelE Infantry
AG
Wrong thread?
The flames of the Imperium burn brightly in the hearts of men repulsed by degenerate modernity. Souls aflame with love of goodness, truth, beauty, justice, and order.
PabloSerna
AG
Oops.. yeah. Thx
\
codker92
AG
Check out the book Apocalypse Never. It is about how the environmental movement tries to create alarmism to scare people into making irrational decisions. The Pope isn't being genuine. Also, it doesn't appear based on the text that the flood in Genesis was a world wide flood.
craigernaught
AG
How does the author of this book know what other people's intentions are? How do you know the pope isn't being genuine? I don't get how people know these things. I barely know what I want. I sure as hell don't know what my wife wants. How could I possibly know what all these other people want?

"The waters swelled so mightily on the earth that all the high mountains under the whole heaven were covered; the waters swelled above the mountains, covering them fifteen cubits deep."

Sure sounds like it's the whole Earth to me.

codker92
AG
The Hebrew word translated all in your Bible elsewhere does not mean totally all.

Combination of (kl; "all") and (erets; "earth, land")

Gen 2:11

The name of the first is Pishon; it flows around the whole () land () of Havilah, where there is gold. (Are we really being asked to believe that every place in Havilah was infiltrated by this river? Or that a river surrounded the entire land? If so, the Bible would be in error when it comes to Havilah

The river pishon does not flow all around Havilah.

Post removed:
by user
craigernaught
AG
The story is alluding to the biblical creation. The waters from the great deep and above the dome of the sky burst forth upon the Earth. The "great deep" here is like the "deep" from Genesis 1:2. This is a reforming of creation. The primordial waters once again flow over the Earth as it descends to a state of watery chaos like before the creation.

The story should be read in this narrative context, not in a modern one. The height of the mountains here is certainly interesting but it doesn't mean very much in relation to elevation further away nor does trying to figure out how extensive "all" is in relation to the entire Earth. Water is coming down from above the dome of the sky and from great deep in the depths of the Earth. Placing a modern view of the structure of the Earth on a story without this understanding isn't going to offer much clarity. If this is a story in a direct relationship to Genesis 1, then it's obviously dealing with all creation. Genesis 1 isn't a "localized" creation story. Such efforts to "localize" the flood are ripping the story out of its narrative context in an attempt to make its details less troublesome for the modern reader.

So yeah, it's all the Earth. It's obviously also not a historical event that invites logical scrutiny unless you think there's a dome above the sky holding back waters and the great deep below the Earth which holds massive amounts of water capable of covering the mountains.
codker92
AG
Here is the rest of the list of the same word used in the rest of the contexts. Again, you mention "all the mountains". The word all is also kl again. It does necessarily mean 100% all. See below for a full list of places where the word kl doesn't mean all in the Bible.

Combination of (kl; "all") and (erets; "earth, land")

Gen 2:11

The name of the first is Pishon; it flows around the whole () land () of Havilah, where there is gold. (Are we really being asked to believe that every place in Havilah was infiltrated by this river? Or that a river surrounded the entire land? If so, the Bible would be in error when it comes to Havilah.

Gen 2:13

And the name of the second river is Gihon; it flows around the whole () land () of Cush (Ditto the above)

1 Sam 14:25

And all () the land () entered the forest, and there was honey on the ground. The word presumes "people" here but are we really to believe that every last person of the land of Israel entered into this single forest?

Isaiah 14:7

The whole () earth () is at rest and is quiet Really? No human or animal in the entire earth was making a sound?

Genesis 13:9 (Abraham to Lot)

Is not the whole () land () before you? No, Lot wasn't looking at the entire globe, nor could he.

Genesis 41:57

And the people of all () the earth () came to Egypt to buy grain from Joseph . . . Did everyone in the Mediterranean come? China? India? North America? Again, the hyperbole is obvious.

Judges 6:37 (Gideon)

Behold, I will put a fleece of wool on the threshing floor. If there is dew on the fleece only, and it is dry on all () the ground (), then I will know that Thou wilt deliver Israel through me "all the ground" refers to a small portion of land in the area where Gideon was.

1 Samuel 13:3

Then Saul blew the trumpet throughout all () the land (), saying, "Let the Hebrews hear." Obviously, Saul didn't blow a trumpet loud enough for everyone on the globe to hear it (nor could he send trumpeters throughout all the earth).

2 Samuel 18:8

For the battle there was spread over the whole () land () (This battle didn't take place in every portion of the entire globe).

1 Kings 10:24

And all () the earth () was seeking the presence of Solomon, to hear his wisdom which God had put in his heart. (Everyone in the Mediterranean come? The Chinese? The people of Easter Island? Native American tribes? Again, the hyperbole is obvious.

Combination of (kl; "all") and (br; "flesh")

There are several instances where this combination cannot logically refer to every human on the planet (you can look them up that will promote study!):

Ps 65:2 What about people on the other side of the world?

Isa 40:5 Is everyone awake at the same time? When this passage is quoted in the NT, it isn't used for a universal reference, otherwise we'd have to adopt universalist salvation (which has serious problems).

Isa 66:23-24 How will every person in the world (v. 23) see these bodies (v. 24)?

Jer 25:31 God is judging the nations, not Israel, here, so it isn't every person on earth.

Ezek 20:48 The fire is in the Negeb (v. 47), so is every human being gathered to the Negeb to see this fire?

Ezek 21:4 What about east and west? (The context and geographical reference of north and south refer to Israel, and so not all the people of the entire planet).

Joel 2:28 Not everyone received the Holy Spirit when this passage was (at least partially) fulfilled in Acts 2. And not every person will be saved, either.
Post removed:
by user
codker92
AG
I don't know. I just read the Bible text.

If you want a geological interpretation that doesn't think a world wide flood happened try this:

https://skepticalinquirer.org/2018/03/twenty-one-reasons-noahs-worldwide-flood-never-happened/
craigernaught
AG
The text doesn't really tell us where Noah lived, but Mesopotamia is a good guess. The peak of the Taurus Mountains is 3,756 m and the peak of the Zagros mountains is 4,409 m.
Stat Monitor Repairman
It still amazes me that people believe that we can change the climate of the ENTIRE PLANET by doing or not doing something.

Then I look at Corvid and see why.

The bigger the lie, the easier it is to sell.
schmendeler
AG

Star Wars Memes Only
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

It still amazes me that people believe that we can change the climate of the ENTIRE PLANET by doing or not doing something.

Why? Is it just incredulity, or is there more?
Ragoo
AG
AstroAg17 said:

I'm wondering what mountains are in the region and what the elevations of their peaks is relative to sea level. I don't think any mountain tops were flooded at all.
mountains following creation and prior to the great flood are not the mountains of today. Only after the end of the great flood did God raise the mountains as we see them.
schmendeler
AG
Floods back then were actually just humid air. They were not the floods of today.
Ragoo
AG
schmendeler said:

Floods back then were actually just humid air. They were not the floods of today.
the whole earth was like a terrarium. It's why people thought Noah was crazy. It didn't rain. It's also why people lived a long time.
Quad Dog
AG
It didn't rain in the time of Noah? First I've heard that.
Post removed:
by user
Ragoo
AG
Quad Dog said:

It didn't rain in the time of Noah? First I've heard that.
that has always been my understanding. And is the significance of following God's command.

Not a scholar by any means, so could very well be way wrong.
Quad Dog
AG
That leads me to a lot of questions:
Were there clouds?
If so, what prevented then from turning into rain clouds?
How did the water cycle work?
How did they irritate crops?
How humid was it?
Was just everything constantly covered in dew?
What about other forms of precipitation, snow, hail, sleet?
What changed that started all the above?
Star Wars Memes Only
Quad Dog said:

How did they irritate crops?

Just call them names.
Quad Dog
AG
Ha. Obliviously I meant irrigate, but I'll leave it for entertainment.
schmendeler
AG
I love the thought process that a "scholar" would be able to explain how it didn't rain and the Earth was like a terrarium in the time of Noah.
Ragoo
AG
schmendeler said:

I love the thought process that a "scholar" would be able to explain how it didn't rain and the Earth was like a terrarium in the time of Noah.
I meant scholar of theology, obviously
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.