act like men

3,971 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by diehard03
Martin Q. Blank
How long do you want to ignore this user?
1 Cor. 16:13 Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
PacifistAg
AG
All that you do must be done in love.
Martin Q. Blank
Yes, that's the next verse.
swimmerbabe11
Are we just posting Bible verses that we like or is there a question or discussion you would like surrounding this particular verse?
PacifistAg
AG
Yeah, that's what I was wondering, so I figured I'd add the next verse to add to the context.
swimmerbabe11
Acts 20:24 is my favorite

But my life means nothing to me. My only goal is to finish the race. I want to complete the work the Lord Jesus has given me. He wants me to tell others about the good news of God's grace.

PacifistAg
AG
One of my favorites:

Therefore let's approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace for help at the time of our need.

Heb 4:16
ramblin_ag02
AG
It's two verses, sorry

Daniel 3:17 If it be so, our God whom we serve is able to rescue us from the furnace of blazing fire; and He will rescue us from your hand, O king. 18 But even if He does not, let it be known to you, O king, that we are not going to serve your gods nor worship the golden statue that you have set up."
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
PacifistAg
AG
Oooh love that one!
Martin Q. Blank
swimmerbabe11 said:

Are we just posting Bible verses that we like or is there a question or discussion you would like surrounding this particular verse?
It caught me by surprise when I read it. I guess that's my American upbringing though where the phrase "act like a man" is generally frowned upon.
diehard03
Quote:

It caught me by surprise when I read it. I guess that's my American upbringing though where the phrase "act like a man" is generally frowned upon.

it's not...unless you mean "act like a man" as in, "don't be gay or do anything that might make me think you are gay". That's generally frowned upon.
Martin Q. Blank
diehard03 said:

Quote:

it's not...unless you mean "act like a man" as in, "don't be gay or do anything that might make me think you are gay". That's generally frowned upon.
I believe that's earlier in the letter so Paul just can't win.
Duncan Idaho
Martin Q. Blank said:

swimmerbabe11 said:

Acting like a man isn't and never has been frowned upon in America. Being an ******* or a misogynistic jerk isn't as tolerated as it once was.
diehard03
Quote:

I believe that's earlier in the letter so Paul just can't win.

this is what your fishing for, right? We are all a bunch of wusses because we won't "act like men"?
PacifistAg
AG
swimmerbabe11
I act like a man all the time. It's the Christian thing to do.
I'm about to drink a beer and grill some meat.
swimmerbabe11
I'm realizing that most of my favorite Bible verses are about death and dying.
Maranatha am i right? I'm ready yo, let's go.
diehard03
Quote:

I act like a man all the time. It's the Christian thing to do.
I'm about to drink a beer and grill some meat.

You left out shoot guns and throw axes. Man, I love my church, but all of their "mens events" are so geared towards "red blooded american male" that I cringe.
PacifistAg
AG
You know, I'm sure it happens, but how great would it be for a men's group/Bible study, instead of doing stereotypically "macho" things to go serve at a nursing home one Saturday, or something service/humility focused?

I'm sure it happens.
Frok
AG
There's a difference between fellowship and service projects. I'd bet most churches have both.

As for the activities, you just need to organize it yourself if there is something you would rather do.

However I really do want to go throw some axes, I've heard it's a ton of fun.
kurt vonnegut
AG
So . . . . Post COVID forum 16 axe throwing meet up??
swimmerbabe11
kurt vonnegut said:

So . . . . Post COVID forum 16 axe throwing meet up??

I'm in! I'm not completely terrible at it
diehard03
I absolutely agree. We just have a tendency to always talk about manliness in terms of beards and grunting, so it tends to be 1 note that gets played over and over again.
Frok
AG
diehard03 said:

I absolutely agree. We just have a tendency to always talk about manliness in terms of beards and grunting, so it tends to be 1 note that gets played over and over again.

No doubt.
Martin Q. Blank
Duncan Idaho said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

swimmerbabe11 said:

Acting like a man isn't and never has been frowned upon in America. Being an ******* or a misogynistic jerk isn't as tolerated as it once was.
You're joking, right? If not, what does it mean to act like a man as opposed to a woman?
diehard03
Quote:

You're joking, right? If not, what does it mean to act like a man as opposed to a woman?

it's your thread - you tell us what acting like a man means. Swimmer asked you for context and you've only replied with it being frowned upon, without actually commenting on what it means.
Duncan Idaho
Martin Q. Blank said:

Duncan Idaho said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

swimmerbabe11 said:

Not at all.

I am sure it wasnt intentional but your post seems to imply that you define being a man as being an ******* or a misogynistic jerk.

I am really curious how you define "manly" behavior and what it includes that is "frowned upon" by american society. Notice I didn't say "rare" or "uncommon" but "frowned upon". Because being a man is rare/uncommon but it isn't frowned upon

Win At Life
AG
Matthew 5:19. "Whoever then annuls one of the least of the commandments, and so teaches others, shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven"
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
diehard03 said:

So true, as much as I love shooting things and causing explosions out on the ranch, the last men's retreat I went to was basically one giant cliche from the speaker. It was hard to listen to. Although I did get a kick when he started telling us we needed to be like lions; leaned over to the guy next to me and asked "so we need to let the women in the group do all the work?"
Kevin83
That's why I don't shave my genitalia unlike the radical left who has infiltrated out children
diehard03
Quote:

That's why I don't shave my genitalia unlike the radical left who has infiltrated out children

It's monday at 230a, and you're browsing R&P board to post this...along with the other political topics of recent.

What can we pray for you for?

(edit: you're looking for something. how can we help?)
PacifistAg
AG
Kevin83 said:

Uh...what?
BrazosBendHorn
From SNL, 4th season, a tale of manly men at sea (I couldn't find a video, but fortunately was able to locate what purports to be the script ..)

------

Miles Cowperthwaite V/O: "The wretched birth, miserable childhood, agonizingly painful adolescence, and appallingly vile and degrading death of Miles Cowperthwaite.

Chapter Two: 'I Am Nailed To The Hull'.

"It having been determined by my benefactor that a term of service at sea would make a man, I accordingly left Pinckley Hall in the company of Captain Ned, and put out from Bristol aboard his ship The Raging Queen.

Captain Ned, I learned from my shipmates, was a very manly, virile, manful person, and a firm believer in strict discipline, corporal punishment, and nude apartment wrestling. How truly strict he was, I learned on our first day out of port, when our First Mate called all hands on deck for an important announcement."

[ dissolve onto scenes aboard The Raging Queen ]
[ First Mate Spunk rings the deck bell ]

First Mate Spunk: Alright, please, everybody, please! Welcome aboard The Raging Queen! Now, of course, I can't possibly introduce everybody, so you're just going to have to wear your little name tags. And if that's the worst thing you'll wear on this voyage, you're lucky. Now, before I introduce Captain Ned, there's some quiche over here, some salad, and some banana bread in the bowl, and there should be a brie around, if someone hasn't eaten it. And now, here is our own Captain Ned!
[ Captain Ned steps up ]

Captain Ned: Thank you, Mr. Spunk. Gentlemen, we have on board a young man whose name is Miles Cowperthwaite! And I have promised his guardian to teach him the man's life at sea! To show him man's ports, such as Key West and San Francisco! I expect him to be treated manfully! Well, Miles, have you anything to say?

Miles Cowperthwaite: [ stands, cheerful ] Well.. I'm very grateful for this opportunity, Captain Ned! Up 'til now, my life has been the most degrading, pathetic, soul-destroying, humiliating, awful grovel..

Captain Ned: [ interrupting ] That's enough, Miles.. [ Miles sits ] Now, men, I run a man's ship. I will run it in a manful and masculine way! I will tolerate no men under my command who act in such a way so as to discredit their manhood and manliness! Do I make myself clear?

First Mate Spunk: Three cheers for Captain Ned!
[ the men cheer ]

Miles Cowperthwaite V/O: "If there were any doubts as to Captain Ned's severity, they were quickly dispelled that very afternoon, when a scuffle broke out on deck."
[ Spunk approaches a Sailor tanning ]

First Mate Spunk: That's my tanning spot! you! You're in my spot! That's my spot!

Sailor #1: You are daft! I've been here all morning. Now, run along, you are blocking my sun.

First Mate Spunk: Don't you give me any back-sass, you tan tease!

[ fight breaks out; Captain Ned intervenes ]

Captain Ned: Is this how men act on a man's ship? Where is your manliness? Fighting on deck is a serious breach of my articles of strict discipline! I'm afraid the guilty party is in for a very severe punishment!

Sailor #1: Captain.. I did indeed take Mr. Spunk's spot. I'm ready to accept my punishment.

First Mate Spunk: Captain! I threw the first blow. If anyone is to be punished, let it be me. I ask only that whatever you do, please don't put me in a tight-fitting Lassie costume and make me eat from a monogrammed dog dish.

Sailor #2: [ entering ] Captain, I encouraged this fight punish me! Make me wear nipple-pinching clothespins, sir!

Sailor #3: [ entering ] Me, Captain! Punish me!

Captain Ned: Stop! I've heard enough! Your manly admission of guilt is most manful. However, as your Captain, it is I who must bear the full masculine responsibility! And therefore, I will be punished. Spunk! Take me alone! I want a boiling oil rub...
[ Spunk drags Captain below decks for his punishment ]

Miles Cowperthwaite V/O: "Having had no seafaring experience, I was surprised at how different the life of a sailor was from what I had imagined. Our day began at dawn, where, after a hearty breakfast, we had punishment 'til lunchtime. After lunch, there was more punishment 'til dinner. After dinner, we would pull up anchor and sail for an hour, then drop anchor again for some verbal humiliation, followed by evening punishment. I imagine that the crew is quite used to it, for in all my rounds with the ship surgeon, Dr. Pierce, I never once heard a man complain."

[ Miles follows Dr. Pierce during one of his rounds ]

Miles Cowperthwaite: Sir? I was thinking, wouldn't we make better progress if we was under sail 14 hours a day, and had punishment only two hours a day, instead of the other way 'round?

Dr. Pierce: Miles, my boy, you have much to learn. Without strict discipline, we'd have mutiny on this ship.

Miles Cowperthwaite: Oh.

Dr. Pierce: [ examines his patient's knee ] Let's see. Ooh.. I don't like the looks of that leg, Mr. Tarvox. I'm afraid we'll have to take it off.

Mr. Tarvox: Really?

Dr. Pierce: Yes, I'm afraid so. And probably the arm, as well.

Miles Cowperthwaite: [ confused ] The arm?! Why the arm, Doctor?

Dr. Pierce: Well, to get the leg. Look. It's rather in the way, see? [ indicates Tarvox's arm resting on his leg ]

Miles Cowperthwaite: Why can't he hold the arm out of the way.

Dr. Pierce: Well, that's.. fine.. if you'd rather do that.

Mr. Tarvox: Yes, sir. Please.

Dr. Pierce: Okay. Now, don't worry, Mr. Tarvox, you won't feel a thing. You'll wake up, and they'll be gone.

Mr. Tarvox: They?

Dr. Pierce: It. It'll be gone. Uh.. I guarantee you won't know which one is missing.

Mr. Tarvox: Oh.

Dr. Pierce: Any preferences? [ Tarvox gives a strange look ] Good. Good. Okay, we'll take the.. the..

Miles Cowperthwaite: Leg.

Dr. Pierce: ..leg.. off on Thursday, okay? First thing. You'll be fine. You'll be fine.. [ walks off to have a drink ]

Miles Cowperthwaite V/O: "Perhaps this isn't the routine of an ordinary sailor: floggings, stockings, keel haulings, kneeling on our knuckles, having things dropped on our heads, being pushed down stairs, and so on. But occasionally, there would be time for activities such as steering the ship, and trying to make the sails fill up with wind. Captain Ned took a warm, personal interest in my welfare, and if a night was stormy, or even mildly choppy, he would come to my cabin to comfort me."
[ Captain Ned enters Miles' room as he prays beside his bed ]

Miles Cowperthwaite: Oh. Captain Ned.

Captain Ned: [ grinning ] Hello, Miles. Uh.. I was worried that you might be.. "frightened" by the nasty weather.. [ unbuttons the top of his pajamas ]

Miles Cowperthwaite: But, Captain Ned, sir, it is perfectly calm tonight!

Captain Ned: Just so.. with the stormy weather we've been having lately, I was afraid this.. sudden calm might alarm you. Because I've seen grown men manly men, in the full pride of their manhood, grow white with terror on serene, tranquil nights as this!

Miles Cowperthwaite: Oh, that is very kind of you, sir.. [ chuckles nervously ] [ Captain Ned blows out the candle besides Miles' bed, leaving the room in total darkness ]

Miles Cowperthwaite V/O: "So dangerously flaccid did that night become, thus Captain Ned remained in my cabin to reassure me until dawn, when we were aroused by a shout from Mr. Spunk.."

First Mate Spunk: [ peering through telescope ] Land ahoy! Land ahoy! Oh, my God, I don't know.. oh, it might be land, maybe it's another boat.. Oh, daft, it might be a cloud! No, I can't tell, this damn thing is torturing me. Oh, maybe it's a cloud, I'm not sure, oh dear!

Captain Ned: [ walking up ] Mr. Spunk! Have you spied land?

First Mate Spunk: I'm not sure! Somebody else get up here and look! If I say it's land, and we make for it and it's not, I'll get yelled for it!

Captain Ned: Alright! [ peers through telescope ]

Miles Cowperthwaite V/O: "What Mr. Spunk had sighted was not land at all, but a small, open boat. Which, upon closer inspection, was found to contain two remarkable passengers."
[ two women climb onboard The Raging Queen ]

Captain Ned: [ greeting them ] I am Captain Ned, of The Raging Queen! Tell me.. are there any males with you?

Madeline Warrington: No. Just my sister and I.

Ruth Warrington: Yes. My name is Ruth Warrington. This is my sister Madeline. We were crossing the West Indies, when pirates seized our ship. They took our entire crew prisoners.

Captain Ned: [ thinking ] Hmm.. Uh.. can you tell me, were these pirates manly and virile?

Madeline Warrington: They were contemptible animals, who subjected our ship's crew to the most unspeakable torture!

First Mate Spunk: Do you suppose these pirates might still be anywhere in the area?

Ruth Warrington: Yes. I'm afraid they may yet be very close..

Captain Ned: I see. [ runs to address his crew ] Men! There are pirates in these waters! Pirates who inflict hideous punishment to those who fall into their hands! [ crew oohs ] Now, we can turn tail and run. Or, we can take the manly course, that which our manhood demands! Find these despots of discipline, and comfort them! What is your answer!!

Crew: Find the pirates!!

Captain Ned: So it will be done! Stand by to incur the waters!
[ crew wave out to sea, in search of the pirates ]

Miles Cowperthwaite V/O: "Despite six months spent in the endeavor, our search for the pirates proved unsuccessful. And so at length we put into port at Key West, where we took on a supply of omelet pans and did the costumes for a production of 'Take Her, She's Mine'. These were pleasant times. With Captain Ned ashore buying melons, discipline was less severe, and his trips to my cabin to comfort me less frequent. One night, however, as I lay in bed writing a letter to Lord Pinckley, I heard an unfamiliar knock at my door."
[ a knock at the door ]

Miles Cowperthwaite: Come in?
[ the Warrington sisters enter ]

Ruth Warrington: Hello, Miles. We came to see if you were alright.

Miles Cowperthwaite: Oh.

Madeline Warrington: Yes. We were worried that the cool sea air, combined with the saltiness of the spray, and the closeness of ships in the harbor might have alarmed you.

Miles Cowperthwaite: Oh. Well, that's very kind of you, but I'm not frightened! Are you alright?

Ruth Warrington: Well.. these past six months at sea aboard The Raging Queen have been somewhat frightening.

Miles Cowperthwaite: Begging your pardon, ma'am.. but have any of the men on board.. well.. tried to take liberties with you.

Madeline Warrington: No. No, not really.

Ruth Warrington: No. We haven't been harmed at all.

Miles Cowperthwaite: [ happy ] Oh! Well, ma'am, I suspect that's due to the discipline Captain Ned employs on this ship! For this crew is an unsavory lot!

Madeline Warrington: Yes, I suspect so. [ removing clothes ] Hey, Miles, it is terribly hot in here!

Ruth Warrington: Isn't it, Madeline? [ removes her clothes as well ]

Miles Cowperthwaite: Oh, it's alright for me!

Madeline Warrington: Perhaps we can comfort you, then, Miles?
[ Captain Ned enters; the girls jump up ]

Captain Ned: Hello, Miles.

Miles Cowperthwaite: Oh! Captain Ned!

Captain Ned: Hello, Miss Warrington. Miss Warrington. Miles, I hurried back, as, uh.. I was afraid that the excitement of the last several months at sea, combined with the change of seasons might have alarmed you.

Miles Cowperthwaite: Oh, that's very kind of you, Captain..

Ruth Warrington: Excuse me, Captain, but we were comforting Miles.

Madeline Warrington: Wait! Perhaps we can all comfort Miles!
[ a look of distress falls upon Miles' face ]

Captain Ned: Very well. I see nothing unmanly in that.
[ the three of them undress and climb into Miles' bed ]

Miles Cowperthwaite V/O: "Of all that I have suffered since going to sea, nothing could compare to the constant comforting of Captain Ned and the Warrington sisters. And I resolved to escape from The Raging Queen at the first opportunity." ] [ show Miles walking across the ship in disguise ]

"One night, while the crew was below doing exercises to flatten their stomachs, I stole the Second Mate's coat, collected my few belongings, and lowered myself over the mast."
[ Miles jumps overboard ]

"A war took place after I hit the water. I have very little recollection. I was evidently quite ill for a very long time, and the next thing I remember seeing was the friendly face of Dr. Pierce."

Dr. Pierce: He's coming around..

Ruth Warrington: Oh, thank God!

Miles Cowperthwaite: [ dazed ] Where am I?

Madeline Warrington: You're back on board The Raging Queen, Miles.

Dr. Pierce: Yes. You were very lucky. One of the crew saw you fall overboard.

Ruth Warrington: Captain Ned will be so relieved. He's been with you every moment, Miles.. comforting you.

Dr. Pierce: Well, Miles, I suspect you'll be strong enough to go under the knife in a couple of days, huh?

Miles Cowperthwaite: [ worried ] What?! What do you mean, Dr. Pierce?!

Dr. Pierce: The legs, Miles. I'm afraid they'll have to come off. Now, I've only got one pegleg aboard, but I can get you a nice hook for the bottom of this left knee. As soon as we reach port, we'll go shopping for a nice wooden one.

Miles Cowperthwaite: But, sir! Must I lose my legs?

Dr. Pierce: I'm afraid so, Miles. When we pulled you out of the water, your legs were.. soaking wet.

Miles Cowperthwaite V/O: "From the moment I learned that Dr. Pierce has designs on my legs, I decided to repeat my attempt at escape whatever the risk involved.
[ show Miles sneaking across the ship in disguise ]

"The very next morning, after one final night of comforting from Captain Ned, I once more stowed out of my cabin and lowered myself over the side, this time completely undetected.
[ Miles jumps overboard ]

"And so my term of service at sea had come to an end. Once again, I found myself quite alone in the world, with little capital and few prospects. Of the details of my escape from The Raging Queen, as well as my adventures subsequent thereto, the reader shall learn in my next chapter: 'I Am Eaten By Sharks'."
[ close ]
Martin Q. Blank
Duncan Idaho said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

Duncan Idaho said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

swimmerbabe11 said:

Not at all.

I am sure it wasnt intentional but your post seems to imply that you define being a man as being an ******* or a misogynistic jerk.

I am really curious how you define "manly" behavior and what it includes that is "frowned upon" by american society. Notice I didn't say "rare" or "uncommon" but "frowned upon". Because being a man is rare/uncommon but it isn't frowned upon
Our society is gender confused. I believe it is trending toward a unified gender - no more masculine and feminine. To say "act like a man", whatever that means, goes against the tide. Do you disagree?
Duncan Idaho
Yes I disagree.

Like all things context is king. If a boy is whining and acting like a child screaming that things aren't fair and you tell them "act like a man" no one is going to bat an eye.

If they same kid was crying from grief and you said "act like a man", people would be taken a back and for good reason.

If allowing men and boys to be emotionally intelligent is "gender confused" then thank God we are headed that way.

Is there a small percentage of people that don't subscribe to traditional gender roles? Absolutely. Do they or what they are doing bother me when viewed as a systemic issue? Not at all.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.