act like men

3,967 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by diehard03
ramblin_ag02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My wise grandfather's definition of a man was "someone who does what needs to be done when no one else wants to do it". Nothing macho about it. Just take care of yourself, your family and your business
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Duncan Idaho
And that is a great definition. Which is why I asked him to define what he means by "act like a man".
Martin Q. Blank
If you believe in two genders and they each have "traditional gender roles", then my argument is not with you. Though the percentage of people who don't think that way is not small.
PacifistAg
AG
This thread reminds me of a really good book that just came out. It talks a lot about this distorted notion of what a "man" is.

Jesus and John Wayne
redcrayon
AG
PacifistAg said:

This thread reminds me of a really good book that just came out. It talks a lot about this distorted notion of what a "man" is.

Jesus and John Wayne
I encourage folks to read the reviews of this book before buying it. It's so slanted to the point of being unreadable IMO.
Duncan Idaho
I do separate sex and gender and believe gender to a fluid spectrum that changes overtime and between cultures and subgroups.

See the use of makeup and high heel shoes over time in traditional western christian cultures. It has gone from acceptable and it's users as being revered as manly men during the 1700s to mocked as ridiculous and feminine during the 19th century, to returning to a place of prominence as last occupant of the white house had a proclivity for both make up and high heels
Martin Q. Blank
Of course attire can change over time for men and women. What gender roles remain the same? ramblin's example? In the context of the verse I'd say men are also to be emotionally and physically strong and courageous. Not passive. The whole letter to the Corinthians demonstrates this as Paul does not gloss over their issues.
Martin Q. Blank
I think it's particularly important for Christians to "act like men" today. We cannot cower and be passive, but stand up for the truth.
PacifistAg
AG
redcrayon said:

PacifistAg said:

Jesus and John Wayne
I encourage folks to read the reviews of this book before buying it. It's so slanted to the point of being unreadable IMO.

Have you read the book? And it's okay to read perspectives different than your own. I find it to be a great book though. I grew up in the world she writes about, and saw so much of what she mentions.
diehard03
Quote:

My wise grandfather's definition of a man was "someone who does what needs to be done when no one else wants to do it". Nothing macho about it. Just take care of yourself, your family and your business

I don't disagree that this sentence contains an attribute that a man should have...but I do struggle with what makes it masculine though.

Not that manliness is just the absence of femininity, but why wouldn't you teach this to your (theoretical) daughter as well?
redcrayon
AG
PacifistAg said:

redcrayon said:

PacifistAg said:

Jesus and John Wayne

Have you read the book? And it's okay to read perspectives different than your own. I find it to be a great book though. I grew up in the world she writes about, and saw so much of what she mentions.

I have. Differing opinions are fine. But the book was so slanted that it was hard to read IMO. She definitely had a perspective she was working really hard to push.

I got it for free. No way I would pay money for it.
Frok
AG
Pretty easy to tell from the subtitle that it is NOT a book I would enjoy. Hard no from me on that one.

Martin Q. Blank
Frok said:

Pretty easy to tell from the subtitle that it is NOT a book I would enjoy. Hard no from me on that one.

Blaming white Christian men for everything is so hot right now.
ramblin_ag02
AG
diehard03 said:

Quote:

I don't disagree that this sentence contains an attribute that a man should have...but I do struggle with what makes it masculine though.

Not that manliness is just the absence of femininity, but why wouldn't you teach this to your (theoretical) daughter as well?
Luckily I have no daughters! Honestly I think it's was more of a boy v man maturity issue and not a men v woman gender issue. I read the Bible passage the same way. It's about maturity and not about gender
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
dermdoc
AG
Frok said:

Agree. Just watched Red River with John Wayne and loved it.
diehard03
Quote:

Luckily I have no daughters! Honestly I think it's was more of a boy v man maturity issue and not a men v woman gender issue. I read the Bible passage the same way. It's about maturity and not about gender

yeah, I thought about it as soon as I posted it...but I do think what you bring up is part of the "issue" with the topic.

"Act like a man" on it's own can assume either "don't act like a boy" or "dont act female"...and both are often used interchangeably to tell someone they aren't acting right.
Beer Baron
AG

Quote:

Totally get what you're saying about his point being about a boy/man maturity comparison and not a man/woman gender one, but my first thought when reading this was "anyone who's ever been to an extended family Thanksgiving dinner has seen lots of women becoming men in the kitchen while the actual men watch football in the living room."
ramblin_ag02
AG
Beer Baron said:

Quote:

Totally get what you're saying about his point being about a boy/man maturity comparison and not a man/woman gender one, but my first thought when reading this was "anyone who's ever been to an extended family Thanksgiving dinner has seen lots of women becoming men in the kitchen while the actual men watch football in the living room."
That's me every single family holiday
RAB91
Martin Q. Blank said:

1 Cor. 16:13 Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
This is even more important in today's feminized, gender confused world.
diehard03
Quote:

Wait...you mean you're telling me that the purpose of Thanksgiving ISNT to watch football? I thought the meal was just a special bonus...
diehard03
Quote:

Quote:

Martin Q. Blank said:
1 Cor. 16:13 Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
This is even more important in today's feminized, gender confused world.

This post and it's 2 (right now) blue star is my point from earlier that we keep using "act like man vs a boy" and "act like a man vs a woman" interchangeably and I think it harms the discussion.

Acting like a boy is NOT the same as acting female.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.