Q Anon

5,651 Views | 69 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Patriot4301
Ag4coal
How long do you want to ignore this user?
PacifistAg said:

Serotonin said:

Quote:

Another aspect that makes it a relevant discussion here is how this has infected the church here in America.
You've talked before about politics seeping into religion in our country, I'm interested in your opinion of why that is.

Some theories:
1. American culture has grown less ordered and more chaotic than X years ago so morals, virtues, beliefs and even the truth and facts are up for grabs in the political arena and subject to private judgment without any objective national or institutional moral authority. So some churches are trying to step in to fill the void.

2. Universal suffrage democracy is a relatively new phenomenon. Now the politics and political intrigue that were limited to a king's court in 1500 have expanded to every individual and every nook and cranny in society. When everyone becomes a political actor, people act politically.

3. We've grown decadent and complacent as a people and even church has grown shallow so the only place to find meaning now is in war/patriotism (on the right) or social justice movements (on the left).

You have a unique perspective as someone who is pretty apolitical, what's your take here?
Honestly, I think you aren't far off with the 2nd point. The average person wields political power, and the use of power to "do good" is a temptation that is as old as man. We see it in 1 Samuel 8. The elders of Israel saw that the sons of Samuel couldn't be trusted with power, so what did they do? They sought power in the form of a king like the nations surrounding them. This, though, was viewed as a rejection of the Kingship of God. We see this temptation again when Christ was tempted with all the kingdoms (political entities) of the world. Just think of all the good He could do with that earthly power. But even Christ knew that power corrupts, and rejected that temptation. So, I think it's rooted in a genuine desire to do good, as well as the hubris in thinking that we can get it right this time. That if we just create the perfect system, it will restrain the corruptive effects of power.

But the more we pursue this path, the more we begin to see the "other" as the enemy. The more we see the "other" as the enemy, especially when power is theoretically widely distributed among the masses, the more we seek power to defeat our enemy. And it becomes a vicious cycle. We begin to coalesce into our own little bubbles, ideologically and geographically. We shun the "other"...or worse, we begin to hate the "other" because we see them as perpetual threats. So what started out with genuine intentions turns into an "other"-hating echo chamber. Sadly, we're seeing this infect the church. We go to church with those like us, because we effectively create geographic bubbles in which we live. The longer we isolate from the "other", the more extreme we become in our views because there is no challenge.

Look at voting for example. So many act as though voting is the most important thing in life. I am a non-voter, and I receive hatred from both sides. Why? Because I am rejecting the power to defeat their "enemy", which makes me an enemy to them. I get it from both sides.

David French actually just wrote a great piece on this.
I've been trying to say this to as many people as I can. Thank you for putting it more eloquently. I detest most of their policies, but as soon as the "Other side" becomes the "enemy", it can't end up in a good place.
Post removed:
by user
Ag4coal
AstroAg17 said:

Does that extend to non-Americans as well? Do you view communists in China or theocratic Saudis the same way? What are the criteria for being an "enemy"?
We can have all the enemies we want outside of our borders. No problem with that. This article sums up (correctly) the idea that if you start to believe your fellow citizens are the "enemy", then you will cease talking to them. And when you cease talking to them, you become more entrenched in the "enemy" status.

All fine and good if you want to go to war and split the country. If you have a desire to maintain your country, it's not a healthy attitude to have. I don't care to remain friendly with Iran or China, so I do not care to avoid considering them as an "enemy". I do care about remaining friendly with roughly 50% of our citizens, so I hope we can all stop seeing the "other side" as an "enemy" and just someone who disagrees with us.

I've made more headway with liberals by simply having civilized conversation than I could have thought possible. No, they don't change their minds, but they also start to see how, just maybe, not all conservative are white supremacist *******s.
Star Wars Memes Only
Ag4coal said:

AstroAg17 said:

Does that extend to non-Americans as well? Do you view communists in China or theocratic Saudis the same way? What are the criteria for being an "enemy"?
We can have all the enemies we want outside of our borders. No problem with that. This article sums up (correctly) the idea that if you start to believe your fellow citizens are the "enemy", then you will cease talking to them. And when you cease talking to them, you become more entrenched in the "enemy" status.

All fine and good if you want to go to war and split the country. If you have a desire to maintain your country, it's not a healthy attitude to have. I don't care to remain friendly with Iran or China, so I do not care to avoid considering them as an "enemy". I do care about remaining friendly with roughly 50% of our citizens, so I hope we can all stop seeing the "other side" as an "enemy" and just someone who disagrees with us.

I've made more headway with liberals by simply having civilized conversation than I could have thought possible. No, they don't change their minds, but they also start to see how, just maybe, not all conservative are white supremacist *******s.
PacifistAg
AG
AstroAg17 said:

I know this was directed to someone else, but yes, I do extend that to all people. The communist Chinese are not my enemy. ISIS is not my enemy. My enemy is not flesh and blood. Communist leaders in China, ISIS soldiers, Donald Trump, Joe Biden, etc all bear God's divine image. They are all of infinite worth to the Creator of the universe, so much so that He was willing to take on flesh and be crucified to save them. The least I can do is do my best to love them regardless of how they feel about me. Borders are irrelevant to that.
Rocag
AG
I am curious at how popular or widely discussed Q is within an average Christian church or community these days. I'm neither conservative nor Christian so it's really hard for me to tell looking at it from the outside. I can sort of guess at it based on what I see on social media from people I know are Christian, but that's probably not a fair sample. And yes, I realize the responses here will only offer anecdotal evidence.
HossAg
AG
Duncan Idaho
If my experience in AL is any indication. It isn't uncommon among the extreme MAGA groups within the MAGA aligning churches.

But for the most part it is still seen as fringe and even preached against by some.
Beer Baron
AG
What's interesting to me are the people who spout Q nonsense without (I think) even knowing that it was a Q thing. I know for a fact if you asked my parents and some of my other relative what Q is, they'd have a total blank look of non-recognition. They still vehemently believe the Hillary pedophile ring in the (nonexistent) pizza place basement.
HossAg
AG
Beer Baron
AG
Yeah, that's why I think even thought Q followers are a relatively small group, the ideas coming from it are more widespread. One person follows it, says something about it to their friends or shares a meme based on it, and people just believe it because it confirms what they already think.
HossAg
AG
Beer Baron
AG
Especially considering how skeptical they were of everything on the internet when it first became a thing. In the 90's there was a definite "stranger danger" vibe among this same age group.
Ag4coal
Beer Baron said:

Yeah, that's why I think even thought Q followers are a relatively small group, the ideas coming from it are more widespread. One person follows it, says something about it to their friends or shares a meme based on it, and people just believe it because it confirms what they already think.
This. I don't think the average pedophile believer, pizza gate believer, etc. is actually a "QAnon". They've likely heard a few things, felt like it made sense, and they believe it. They don't actively follow his drops or have any faith that Q will save us. They just think there are a bunch of dirty perverts in office, and there is a deep state trying to thwart Trump.
UglyGiantBagOfMostlyWater
Ag4coal said:

Beer Baron said:

This. I don't think the average pedophile believer, pizza gate believer, etc. is actually a "QAnon". They've likely heard a few things, felt like it made sense . . . .

But how do you go from ok Hilary Clinton is a dirty politician who's views are dumb to she's the leader of a satanist pedophilic organization that drinks the blood of children to retain their youth? Like what reasonable line of thinking is their to make that make sense?
schmendeler
AG
the belief in the pedophile cabal rumors never made sense to me. i honestly think they either have guilty consciences or severely over estimate the demand for sex with children.
HossAg
AG
UglyGiantBagOfMostlyWater
HossAg said:

It lines up with their political/religious agenda so they believe it to a certain extent.

That's absolutely terrible. That's not at all how belief should work.
HossAg
AG
Aggrad08
AG
HossAg said:

It lines up with their political/religious agenda so they believe it to a certain extent.

This has been the result of our political climate. The opposition isn't just wrong they are evil. These aren't things about Which intelligent well intentioned people disagree in this world. It's good and evil lord of the rings style.

Sometimes I like to ask people how difficult they think it would be to find someone of the opposite political view who's both more intelligent and more informed than they are. It can occasionally slap someone into some semblance of reality. Others operate under the delusion that they are smarter and better informed than about 150 million people.

And it's funny. Most people have opinions that are much more nuanced and full of conditions and caveat in areas of their actual expertise. Their career primarily. They spend tremendously more time learning and refining this knowledge than they do on politics for obvious reasons. Yet they hold their political views stronger and imagine their expertise as about as high. Of those maybe a 10th know all of their representatives names.
schmendeler
AG
Aggrad08 said:

HossAg said:

This has been the result of our political climate. The opposition isn't just wrong they are evil. These aren't things about Which intelligent well intentioned people disagree in this world. It's good and evil lord of the rings style.

Sometimes I like to ask people how difficult they think it would be to find someone of the opposite political view who's both more intelligent and more informed than they are. It can occasionally slap someone into some semblance of reality. Others operate under the delusion that they are smarter and better informed than about 150 million people.

And it's funny. Most people have opinions that are much more nuanced and full of conditions and caveat in areas of their actual expertise. Their career primarily. They spend tremendously more time learning and refining this knowledge than they do on politics for obvious reasons. Yet they hold their political views stronger and imagine their expertise as about as high. Of those maybe a 10th know all of their representatives names.
it's incredibly tempting (on both sides) to assign the attributes of the worst sorts that ascribe to an opposing political belief to the entire group.

gross generalizations ahead:

republicans (etc) think themselves to be super logical and common sense, so the other side must be just irrational and stupid.

democrats (etc) think themselves as intellectual and compassionate, so the other side must be uneducated and heartless.
Ag4coal
UglyGiantBagOfMostlyWater said:

Ag4coal said:

Beer Baron said:

This. I don't think the average pedophile believer, pizza gate believer, etc. is actually a "QAnon". They've likely heard a few things, felt like it made sense . . . .

But how do you go from ok Hilary Clinton is a dirty politician who's views are dumb to she's the leader of a satanist pedophilic organization that drinks the blood of children to retain their youth? Like what reasonable line of thinking is their to make that make sense?
What I'm saying is that most don't believe there is an organization of satanist pedophiles that drink the blood of children. Most who start down the Q path never get that far and would jump off that train if they ever got there. Happened to my wife. She started getting deeper into it and got to this point in the conversation and bailed. So did the friends she was walking down this path with.

I think there are tons of people who believe the pedophile part of Q. Believe some pizza gate stuff. Believe there is a deep state. There are probably some politicians and government officials that fit this description. But once it gets to child sacrifice, no, I do not believe many people go there. At least from my limited experience
ramblin_ag02
AG
Quote:

Funny you say that. There's a Russian novel called The Last Ringbearer where it tells the story from the perspective of Mordor. All the trolls, orcs and the rest are just different types of humans, and Sauron is the name of the family of hereditary dictators. It portrays the LOtR as propaganda
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Ag4coal
Added to my reading list. Not joking
Post removed:
by user
Frok
AG
HossAg said:

It's unfortunate that over exaggerated memes on Facebook are the primary news source for older people these days.

Umm....This is literally everyone now.

People see what they want to see.
Post removed:
by user
Frok
AG
Maybe I should show you my facebook feed. I see all sorts of terrible memes especially in regards to partisan stories. It's all ages.

Post removed:
by user
Frok
AG
Everyone loves a good anecdote.

For instance the data shows cops are generally not abusive or a threat towards certain groups...but here we are.

Star Wars Memes Only
AstroAg17 said:

Old people also tend to believe anecdotes over data.

Haha, it's true, the older I get the more I tend to value anecdotal evidence, especially in situations where there are a huge number of confounders, like most human experiences. Not necessarily over data, if the data seems like it was gathered well and reasonably objectively and efforts were made to ensure the data was unbiased then ok, take the data over the anecdotes. But an anecdote is still some external evidence of some sort.

If the anecdotal evidence I've gathered is totally contrary to the data, that should be explainable. Maybe it's something dumb like confirmation bias or selection bias, or just too small a number of anecdotes to be statistically significant, but it's something that I think I need to explain, not just dismiss. Just because the evidence is anecdotal doesn't make it in total discord with reality, though the inferences you make from them might be.
Aggrad08
AG
I'm this way with most sociology studies. I'll take the data if it seems replicable and well-founded. But if it's a one-off study whos only participants were college students within the department running the test I'm completely uninterested in the results relative to personal experience.
Dumpster Fire
ReplyAll podcast found out who Q is...

https://gimletmedia.com/shows/reply-all/llhe5nm

Post removed:
by user
Frok
AG
Q anon is the republican antifa. Democrats tolerate antifa's violence and destruction because they think it will ultimately get them votes.

Edit: Not saying Q people are violent or causing destruction. I know that is a big difference

Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.