Very chilling!

10,392 Views | 116 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by AstroAg17
one MEEN Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Zobel said:

Jonah is an awesome book. Funny, poignant, cryptic... I love it.

But, the prophecy is true. "Overthrown" means turned over, overturned but it can also mean changed, or turned. Nineveh was certainly turned over.

As for Jonah knowing what God would do - yes. He knows the Lord is gracious, compassionate, slow to anger. That's why he didn't go to Nineveh. He's basically saying - THIS is why I didn't come! I knew if I did, they'd repent, and you'd spare them! He's throwing God's love and mercy back in God's face.

He doesn't want Nineveh to be saved, he wants it to be destroyed. He is supposed to be a prophet, but consistently does the wrong thing, the wrong way. He's a terrible prophet. Finally, when he does go, he does the bare minimum and preaches the world's worst sermon, and its wildly effective. So effective he wants to die rather than see the people repent and receive mercy. He's the same type as the brother of the Prodigal son.

Awesome synopsis. The central part of Jonah is his pride in being 'Gods chosen' and also that he hates other groups who do him wrong. God is clear, he wants all men to be saved. He doesn't hate the person you hate.

Jonah is a satire that cuts at its own reader's sin of pride.
dermdoc
AG
Mort Rainey said:

Imagine watching this crap and believing it. This type of gullibility is how you end up in Guyana drinking Kool Aid

https://www.deliveredbygrace.com/why-you-should-reject-the-message-of-dana-coverstone/?fbclid=IwAR0HVB3J4lpYcOkC04l8p-0ZG6cRtlgIXmZhsKFmCHvJKC4LQlOxE5DjwDg
Sometimes when I read links like this I think about John 5 39-40. It is almost like some worship the Bible rather than Christ and take all the love, joy, mystery, etc. out of the Gospel. Maybe it is just me but Scripture is a wonderful tool for us to learn and study from but worship is for for God alone.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Whitetail
AG
Harkrider 93
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

Agree 100%. Jonah is my favorite prophet in the entire Bible. He was called but didn't want to be a prophet. He actively ran away from his calling. He reluctantly agrees to preach to a bunch of people he hates. He abandons Nineveh and eagerly awaits its destruction, and then he gets mad when they repent and God doesn't smite them.

He's petty, childish, spiteful and a coward, but he also helped redeem one of the greatest cities of the time despite his best efforts. The OT is full of people who just seem to be abundantly human and are poor roll models, but they are extremely entertaining and show that God works through all kinds of people
Plus, he had his own VeggieTales.
Harkrider 93
AG
It is real easy to see what is going to happen.

No football in Sept will hack off a lot of real Americans and there will be consequences.

The only way we have riots with guns in the streets in Nov is if Trump wins. There is no way Republicans will get out in the streets to riot if Biden wins.

FrecklesDad
AG
I agree with you, unless it is clear that they stole the election.
Post removed:
by user
Mort Rainey
It's a dream that predicts the future that he's claiming he had AFTER that prediction. You've got to be kidding me. I'd be impressed if he said this in January.
PacifistAg
AG
FrecklesDad said:

lol every election now, both sides already set up the excuse that the election was stolen well in advance to the actual election. It's all so silly.

It's like the nonsense that gets spewed every four years about how this election is the most important in history, which is why we can't do something crazy like vote based on pesky principles.
Aggrad08
AG
It's worse now that we are so soidly in our little bubbles that we just can't imagine the other team winning. People barely even know other people across the isle anymore.
UTExan
PacifistAg said:

FrecklesDad said:

lol every election now, both sides already set up the excuse that the election was stolen well in advance to the actual election. It's all so silly.

It's like the nonsense that gets spewed every four years about how this election is the most important in history, which is why we can't do something crazy like vote based on pesky principles.

Until we can reform inputs to the political system such as creation of term limits and cease private funding of political campaigns, the system will perpetuate itself (Michel's iron law of oligarchy again) . The country also has no common vision for the future because of the many competing visions for the future, most of which require both redirecting where tax money is spent and virtual suspension of other existing rights/liberties depending on who gets elected. When such irreconcilable differences exist, the outcome is predictable, aggravated by a vested political class and the interests of a huge government bureaucracy. At the end, one is faced with the choice of a candidate who will do the least damage to one's interests and one who has made a point of taking more tax money and drastically curtailing certain constitutional rights, such as the second amendment.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
Texasclipper
AG
Well, the November thing didn't happen. Glad he missed this one.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.