Gravitons

1,316 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by gordo97
dds08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So with all this talk about quantum computing, I ran into the subject of gravitons while traversing down a rabbit hole.

Over under on when the next breakthrough will come about in this field?

The whole concept of a graviton seems quite elusive.
Post removed:
by user
UglyGiantBagOfMostlyWater
Aren't gravitons just theoretical. I remember reading somewhere they're based on pretty out there theories.
powerbelly
AG
https://comb.io/OxoxPc
I don't know a lot about this stuff but I did a quick check of wikipedia and it says there is no quantum field theory for gravity but that string theory predicts it. But I thought there was no real proof of string theory and that it was all still just a theory so I thought maybe thats why he was saying gravitons were elusive because theres no real proof of them.
craigernaught
AG
This thread is really pulling me in.
AstroAg17 said:

Good point, you're right. I had it mixed up.

It's not a particle in QFT, but it is a particle that's a product of perturbations to a field (if we're describing gravity as a field) which is pretty similar to how QFT describes fundamental particles.

If you think of gravity as a field I think you should "believe" in gravitons, but probably you shouldn't think about them as point particles.

This is so far outside by knowledge base. I just thought they were based on theories that weren't proven, but you seem to know a lot more about this than I do.
LonghornDub
Are you a tachyon?
God made the country, and man made the town. William Cowper

dds08
AG
I forgot how I ran into this article, but I think I found it by reading about the possibility of a quantum internet in the future.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/06/tiny-pendulum-may-reveal-gravitys-secrets/
craigernaught
AG
Yeah, it's a bit weighty.
Frok
AG
I remember the Gravitron at the carnival, great ride
gordo97
AG
Which one of the Transformers was Gravitron?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.