Millennials and proper church attire

11,772 Views | 135 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by dermdoc
swimmerbabe11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I dont get dressed up as nice for Bible Study with my friends as I do for Sunday service and the reason is that I'll be approaching the altar of God. We bow as we approach. The sanctuary of my church is a sacred place..meaning set apart, so I take special care when I go to that place.

The churches that call the front of their church a "stage" tend to have a more casual atmosphere...and that ends up translated to dress as well. The idea of "doing life together" gives a more familial, living room sort of vibe.

I dont think that is a coincidence, nor did I mean that as an indictment...meant to be an observation that I think this is a symptom of deeper attitudes of what happens at church and what it means.

I apologize that it came across that way.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Quote:

I dont get dressed up as nice for Bible Study with my friends as I do for Sunday service and the reason is that I'll be approaching the altar of God. We bow as we approach. The sanctuary of my church is a sacred place..meaning set apart, so I take special care when I go to that place.
Not to be mean, but from a Messianic viewpoint this sounds a bit idolatrous. God's sanctuary was the Tabernacle, and then the first Temple, and then the Second Temple, and then in heaven alone. God doesn't currently have an earthly Tabernacle. You could certainly make the argument that the Tabernacle is wherever you find a consecrated Host, but even has nothing to do with the building or special room in the building. If you're saying you get fully dressed up every time you take the Eucharist and expect others to do likewise, then I think that's an entirely different discussion.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
swimmerbabe11
we say that you are never closer to Heaven than when you are kneeling at the communion rail.

I didnt think you were mean...but your rationale is foreign enough to me that I'm struggling to respond
Barnyard96
AG
I can't wait until we can actually go back to church. I probably wont be too concerned with how people are dressed, I will just be glad that I can see them again.
diehard03
Quote:

I think we should just be happy that folks are attending Church

I would also clarify "happy that folks are attending Church" as in "I am happy that they chose to come over not coming" or "I am happy that they came to church because this is exactly where they are at spiritually - like the lepers who came to Jesus".
Tamu_mgm
AG
diehard03 said:

Quote:

I'm just advocating for doing so in a reasonably respectful way, even down to the way we dress, because He at the very least deserves it.

You don't own clothes good enough to be what He deserves.

You aren't willing to purchase better clothes in which to give God what He deserves.
You're missing my point, but I get your stance.
UglyGiantBagOfMostlyWater
U guys are all noobs, church should be done in the nude, you guys disrespect god by covering up your natural covering.
diehard03
Quote:

You're missing my point, but I get your stance.

I don't think I am. You are trying to say that there's some standard that people need to meet in order to pay God proper respect. For sure, I know you are meaning that they do anything above rolling out of bed and not trying to say "suit and tie".

My point is that we all eventually decide to dress less than one might deem required to honor a God that decided to save us by sending his only son.

So, the proper question has nothing to do with honoring God with our dress, but by honoring God by following his Commands and approaching worship in the right mindset. I'm sure you will say "That's exactly what I am doing!". However, this is not the same for everyone. Far be it for us to determine what the Holy Spirit is doing in someone else.
Tamu_mgm
AG
Yes interior disposition is most important, but our exterior disposition also still matters albeit a lesser extent obviously.
diehard03
Quote:

Yes interior disposition is most important, but our exterior disposition also still matters albeit a lesser extent obviously.

To whom does the exterior disposition matter?
Tamu_mgm
AG
I made my point above to whom it matters. This Easter especially during this COVID-19 mess is an especially great time to work on our inner disposition in asking for the Holy Spirit to work and live inside of us.
swimmerbabe11
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10222160180655313&id=1287625029&extid=y9w7NzjL6OmeTYBU&d=null&vh=i

you might enjoy this
diehard03
Quote:

I made my point above to whom it matters.

I don't see it anywhere. You just "it matters". Are you saying it matters to God?
dds08
AG
Perhaps he's in the 'ol "come as your are" phase.
dan87
AG
In actuality, this discussion boils down to: "Who wins the fashion contest at church? People who intentionally wear nice clothes for theologically sound reasons, or the people who wear everyday clothes for theologically sound reasons?"
Zobel
AG
He has an earthly tabernacle - "do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit in you, whom you have from God?"
SirDippinDots
barnyard1996 said:

I can't wait until we can actually go back to church. I probably wont be too concerned with how people are dressed, I will just be glad that I can see them again.
I understand and agree but my original post was really at the cutoff shorts more than anything... I mean really is there any limit? Maybe some on here like to look at other male's tatted up legs. I prefer not too. What about a male going to church in a speedo swim trunks and no shirt? Should we just be glad he showed up?
I wish a buck was still silver, it was back, when the country was strong.
SirDippinDots
Alta said:

I put in the effort to dress nicely to go to Church because I like to do so. But guess what? There are days when I go to Church looking like crap as well due to various reasons and a lot of those reasons are when I could use God the most. I love wearing suits as much as the next guy because I like them and feel like I'm dressed for the occasion I'm going to. But if a guy is wearing shorts and flip flops next to you then maybe he just likes dressing that way or maybe it took all of his energy to get out of bed and just get to Church that morning.

I think we should just be happy that folks are attending Church and let them worry about what they are dressed like.

But there is no limit? I hope this guy comes and sits next to you in church right after a strenuous workout.... you know come as you are.

edit: I meant to post with a winky face but you get my point... there needs to be some limit as far as as being considerate to others... like not farting in an elevator.

ramblin_ag02
AG
I never realized how much that verse sounds line a pick-up line.

Seriously though, it seems a bit of a stretch to say our bodies are the new Tabernacle. From all the specific instruction and ritual required to keep the Tabernacle holy to the way many early Christian ascetics treated their bodies to the inherent unholiness of several bodily functions to treatment of dead bodies, it just doesn't seem to line up that way to me
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ramblin_ag02
AG
I read a great book about the Brooklyn Tabernacle, and they had a mission program to prostitutes. As a result, many of them showed up to the church. Some were trans and in full drag. Would you have turned them away after seeking them out and knowing they need Jesus and love as much as anyone else?
Zobel
AG
I actually think the scriptures go out of their to way to say exactly that. Several times. "You are God's temple" is pretty explicit.
SirDippinDots
ramblin_ag02 said:

I read a great book about the Brooklyn Tabernacle, and they had a mission program to prostitutes. As a result, many of them showed up to the church. Some were trans and in full drag. Would you have turned them away after seeking them out and knowing they need Jesus and love as much as anyone else?
I would have told them I am glad they came, Jesus loves them and if they are willing to confess their sins, and accept Jesus as Lord, their sins will be forgiven and they will have enternal life. Also this is a place of worship not a gay/tran mardi gras parade, and they need to address appropriately. Certainly the children of the Church and other members don't need to be subjected to the extreme in your face overt sexually attired.

Perhaps we should allow the prostitutes soliciting members of the church or handing out fliers for the local strip club.. I mean lets just be happy they showed up...
Quote:

But there is no limit? I hope this guy comes and sits next to you in church right after a strenuous workout.... you know come as you are.

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/03/18/article-1367733-0B3D85E600000578-744_468x286.jpg

edit: I meant to post with a winky face but you get my point... there needs to be some limit as far as as being considerate to others... like not farting in an elevator.

Correction....it's that dude who is an ugly giant bag of mostly water.

But come on, that's an assault on the senses plain and simple, nothing to do whether he's in church or not.

Edit: Don't know why I can't get the image to show up
SirDippinDots said:

Perhaps we should allow the prostitutes soliciting members of the church or handing out fliers for the local strip club.. I mean lets just be happy they showed up...

How do I get to this church?

Asking for a friend.
Barnyard96
AG
SirDippinDots said:

barnyard1996 said:

I understand and agree but my original post was really at the cutoff shorts more than anything... I mean really is there any limit? Maybe some on here like to look at other male's tatted up legs. I prefer not too. What about a male going to church in a speedo swim trunks and no shirt? Should we just be glad he showed up?
I think there is plenty of common ground on this issue.

I will say this, when my son (now a cadet) would come out of his room looking like a slob for church, I would send him back to try again. The day they shaved his head was one I will always cherish!

My post above was more about missing people than addressing the OP.

PacifistAg
AG
SirDippinDots said:

barnyard1996 said:

Or it has nothing to do with liking to look at a guy's "tatted legs", and is more about not caring that they can see someone else's tattoos. And if you prefer not to, then don't. Then you'll not have to worry about getting offended. Instead, just focus on worship and loving fellowship with your brothers and sisters in Christ.

What you're wanting is more akin to the legalism I experienced in fundie cults.
PacifistAg
AG
Quote:

This just makes it appear you don't want serious conversation on the subject. To somehow use a guy with exposed leg tattoos and prostitutes soliciting sex as part of your greater argument is just absurd on so many levels.

Sex workers are often destitute and likely being trafficked. They are often abused horribly, and don't have the means to buy "appropriate" church clothes (however you define that subjective standard). You worry about children being subjected to that, but perhaps it would be good for children to be subjected to love, compassion, and grace being shown to the marginalized. I think that's far better than shaming the women who are likely coming from an extremely violent and oppressive life simply because they don't meet your arbitrary dress standards. If it still offends you, then talk to them, start to build relationships with them, and offer to buy them clothes for next time. But, I'm confident that if they're visiting the church, as prostitutes, they already feel a sense of unworthiness and shame. Don't pile onto them. Love them.
SirDippinDots
PacifistAg said:

SirDippinDots said:

barnyard1996 said:

Or it has nothing to do with liking to look at a guy's "tatted legs", and is more about not caring that they can see someone else's tattoos. And if you prefer not to, then don't. Then you'll not have to worry about getting offended. Instead, just focus on worship and loving fellowship with your brothers and sisters in Christ.

I hope you have the sense to be no longer involved in cults.
PacifistAg
AG
SirDippinDots said:

PacifistAg said:

SirDippinDots said:

barnyard1996 said:

Yep. I was raised in the IFBC cult that obsessed over clothes and legalism. I've long rejected that and escaped that world.
MooreTrucker
AG
Just like the corporate world, standards are relaxing as folks figure out that it just doesn't matter.

And I'd rather have them in church in shorts with a half-shaved head or whatever, learning about God and Jesus, than out doing something stupid.
dermdoc
AG
PacifistAg said:

SirDippinDots said:

PacifistAg said:

SirDippinDots said:

barnyard1996 said:

Yep. I was raised in the IFBC cult that obsessed over clothes and legalism. I've long rejected that and escaped that world.
Amen.
dermdoc
AG
MooreTrucker said:

Just like the corporate world, standards are relaxing as folks figure out that it just doesn't matter.

And I'd rather have them in church in shorts with a half-shaved head or whatever, learning about God and Jesus, than out doing something stupid.

Another amen

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.