Millennials and proper church attire

11,666 Views | 135 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by dermdoc
SirDippinDots
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I know this is petty and reflects poorly on me more than anything else but will post anyhow.

Watching church online. The church rock band or whatever they want to be called. One guy has his long hair on top with his sides shaved. One guy in jean cutoffs, several with baseball caps on. All I can think about is how I want to punch them in the face.

Really off putting. Can't stand the millennial culture.
I wish a buck was still silver, it was back, when the country was strong.
Post removed:
by user
SirDippinDots
AstroAg17 said:

You're right that this is a little "old man yells at cloud"-ish but I don't think you're wrong. It seems disrespectful to me. But why attend that church if they don't fit your beliefs?

My wife likes the church and if that's my biggest complaint I can live with it. I just find it extremely annoying. I can choose who I wish to associate with. I was just raised to go to church in your best clothes and if your best clothes are not too nice that is fine.

But the church music ministry strikes me as a bunch of guys that want to be in band and look cool.
aggieband 83
AG
I was raised that you dress the best you can to show honor to God. I raised my kids that way. I still wear a suit to church. Now that my boys are in their mid 30's, they don't own a suit. There jobs/lifestyle don't need one. Most Sunday's they wear jeans.

We attend a small rural church. Most of the 70 year old or older ladies still wear dresses. Most of the 70 year old or older men wear jeans. I wear my suit.

The point being, all attendees are wearing the best they have to honor God. I agree with you, it would be nice if everyone "dressed up" more for church than they do. I really miss seeing women wearing hats to church. I still remember my Mom doing that when I was a kid.

The culture of today has changed. Dressing up for church is not as important as it used to be. I have convinced myself that attending church should be more important than how you dress for church. It has taken me a very long time to get to this viewpoint. When I see someone under dressed for church, I have to say a Thank You prayer for them being there. It's a tough dilemma.
Frok
AG
It's a societal change the church has followed. People used to wear suits to ballgames, now they rarely wear them to professional jobs.

Different times. But I do agree that the band needs to make sure they aren't trying too hard to be cool because it is off putting.
UTExan
I don't wear a tuck in shirt because I carry a concealed weapon that requires an untucked shirt. And I am still dressed better than 75 percent of those attending.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
Pro Sandy
AG
I'm in my upper thirties and attend church weekly. My attire is usually business casual (khakis, button up lone sleeve shirt, and boots or loafers), but I also sometimes wear a coat and tie or even jeans and flipflops. I too appreciate dressing up for church, but don't think it is something worth holding other people to our desires.

A church we used to attend, one of the worship team members used to not wear shoes. He also never wore shoes we he performed music (professional musician), but because older people complained about his lack of shoes as being disrespectful, he was forced to wear shoes or leave the worship team. If someone's dress is preventing you from being able to worship, the problem lies with you, not them. You have created a barrier in your own heart that is preventing you from worshiping God.

A pastor once told me why he wore what he did to church. He always wore slacks and a button up, sometimes a jacket, but never a tie. He didn't want to dress that way, but felt torn between two issues. On one side, he didn't want the individual who hadn't been to church before to feel put out because he was underdressed, thus he wanted to dress down. But others in the congregation would feel it was unbecoming of the pastor to dress down, so he didn't go as casual as he wanted. He dressed a certain way not because of any biblical mandate, any conviction from God, but because of people.

God doesn't judge us based on our dress. If we dress up to please him or not, he judges the heart and knows our true intention. I think dressing up is nice, but let's not hold others to a standard that they need not be held to.
SirDippinDots
I have seen professional musicians perform with shoes plenty of times. Glad your shoeless friend was informed his unhygienic behavior was not appreciated.
Win At Life
AG
The problem with "dressing" up for church is that in the past it became a vain fashion show. The problem with the way people dress today is that it's still a vain fashion show, but It's just that fashion has changed and you old guys don't like the new fashion.
craigernaught
AG
Who cares
craigernaught
AG
But judgemental and violent?

Much better than jeans!
SirDippinDots
craigernaught said:

But judgemental and violent?

Much better than jeans!

I definitely have a judgemental streak.
PacifistAg
AG
The problem is you're making assumptions about what their best clothes should look like. They may believe what they're wearing are their best clothes. You clearly have different standards, but it's far more problematic that you fantasize about using violence against brothers in Christ simply because you don't like what they wear.

Your's is a cultural thing, not biblical. Heck, for how long was it common to wear sandals when gathering for the fellowship of believers? It's fine that you have a standard that's different. Just realize it's entirely grounded in man's cultural norms, not the Scripture.
PacifistAg
AG
Or better yet...define "proper" and explain why your definition of "proper" should take precedence over others
craigernaught
AG
You're not alone in that struggle my friend.

I was in a church leadership class back in seminary. Our professor was talking about issues related to clothing and leading a church, particularly a worship service. One of my classmates raised his hand and said that wearing a suit or vestments (or whatever it was I don't know) wouldn't be authentic, like he was faking being someone else.

Our professor responded, "Is that why you want to be a minister? To express yourself?"

Always stuck with me.
PacifistAg
AG
Dress standards are going to vary significantly depending on culture, or subculture. People going to a "cowboy" church, or a church where most of the members are bikers, will dress far differently than a suburban Baptist church. I would never be accepted by the cult I grew up in because I have tattoos, long hair, and dress in ways they consider inappropriate. My wife and daughter wear pants, so they'd also be rejected.

But, at our last church, they wouldn't have batted an eye at wearing pajama pants to a Wednesday night service. On Sundays, I can't think of any men who wore suit and tie, which was the norm at other churches I grew up in. So, defining what is, or isn't, "proper" is entirely subjective. It is here, on issues like this, where there is liberty.
Frag
AG
I'm 51 and I'll wear shorts and a t-shirt sometimes. LCMS.
Frok
AG
People at Cowboy churches probably get judgmental when someone shows up in Levi's rather than Wranglers
Alta
AG
I'm starting to wonder if people know that not everybody younger than them is a "millennial."
swimmerbabe11
I do not like the "come as you are" dress attire. You are going into the sanctuary, a holy space.. why would you not want to dress nicely for that?

And say what you will.. you can tell when someone has tried their best or not. I'm not saying kick someone out if they don't dress well, but they should have an attitude of respect and reverence for a place or worship where you are receiving grace. The way we dress expresses how we feel about the space we are in or the action we are doing.
Aggrad08
AG
They probably aren't old enough to even be millennials.
94chem
Jeans are an "I'm cool" thing if they're the skinny boy jeans that smash your junk. Slacks are way more comfortable.

I tuck my shirt in; when you run 1200 miles per year, you wanna show it off a little...even at church.
PacifistAg
AG
94chem said:

Jeans are an "I'm cool" thing if they're the skinny boy jeans that smash your junk. Slacks are way more comfortable.

I tuck my shirt in; when you run 1200 miles per year, you wanna show it off a little...even at church.

So, you just substitute the "I'm cool" presentation with "I'm fit" presentation. Who knew you and skinny jeans wearers had so much in common?

Btw, impressive on the 1200 miles. My knees just can't take that kind of running anymore.
cav14
At this point you should just be happy that those Millennials and other "poorly dressed" people even go to church at all.
diehard03
Quote:

I do not like the "come as you are" dress attire. You are going into the sanctuary, a holy space.. why would you not want to dress nicely for that?

And say what you will.. you can tell when someone has tried their best or not. I'm not saying kick someone out if they don't dress well, but they should have an attitude of respect and reverence for a place or worship where you are receiving grace. The way we dress expresses how we feel about the space we are in or the action we are doing.

Be careful. Unless you are wearing a wedding dress to church every week, you aren't living up to your own standards.
Beer Baron
AG
Old People: "Why are young people not going to church like they used to?"

Also Old People "I want to punch these young people in my church in the face because fashion!"
Frok
AG
Beer Baron said:

Also Old People "I want to punch these young people in my church in the face because fashion!"

Hmmm, he's got a point
XpressAg09
AG
Quote:

The culture of today has changed. Dressing up for church is not as important as it used to be. I have convinced myself that attending church should be more important than how you dress for church. It has taken me a very long time to get to this viewpoint. When I see someone under dressed for church, I have to say a Thank You prayer for them being there. It's a tough dilemma.

We're done here.
diehard03
XpressAg09 said:

Quote:

We're done here.

I wouldn't necessarily agree with that (that were done here).

I think it's wrong to get an across the board answer, but that doesn't mean that the question isn't valid.

Some people need to dress up more, because they are too casual with God. Some do cling to the "come as you are" like its a badge of honor or the the only way they follow Jesus.

Some people need to dress down more because their dress is a hindrance to their own obedience. They are trying to please men.

Some people need to go church in whatever they are wearing because of their spiritual situation. Jesus didn't check the clothing of the lepers.

I think discernment on the topic is needed by all followers of Christ. I don't think there's a place for ignoring the topic. Certain actions are not attributable by certain levels of committedness either. It's from the conviction of the Spirit.
ramblin_ag02
AG
This is about the most Matthew 23 topic I can think of
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
SirDippinDots
Beer Baron said:

sure but punch in the face is an exaggeration... I do find it annoying however.
Beer Baron
AG
I think even metaphorically it has the effect of driving people away. I personally think that's great, but it seems counter to your objectives for a fairly minor thing.
Dumpster Fire
Can we complain about the right age group yet? You're looking for Gen-Z.

Millennials are mostly 30 somethings and about to hit their 40s.

And stop yelling at clouds. As a bi-vocational pastor of a small (40-50 people) church no one cares what I wear. God doesn't love you more if you're wearing a suit & tie.
diehard03

Quote:

As a bi-vocational pastor of a small (40-50 people) church no one cares what I wear.

People make assessments on credibility and everything else in part by what someone's wearing. If you dramatically changed your appearance, you'd get questions from everyone. Likewise, if someone new joined your congregation, they would base a lot on their first impression...which includes your appearance.

Now, should you cater to that? Probably not. What matters is your conviction from God on being one of his ministers and what you are called to do.

Quote:

God doesn't love you more if you're wearing a suit & tie.
Truth.

Dumpster Fire
Agree with your replies. Maybe a better statement is no one in our congregation is determining my value or my salvation or my contribution to the church based on my clothing.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.