Do y'all know

12,774 Views | 310 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Serotonin
PacifistAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
aggiedad20 said:

Sorry if you're offended but I detest denominational false doctrines and practices.

1) that's not an apology
2) you can oppose what, in your opinion, is a "false doctrine and practice" without being arrogant and unnecessarily hostile. If you are unable to do so, then as a brother in Christ, I'd caution against getting into the discussion so as to not damage your witness or, as you clearly seem to want to avoid with alcohol, be a "stumbling block" to others.
aggiedad20
You make me chuckle grasshopper. I don't feel bad I feel grateful that I have the opportunity to oppose false doctrines. As for wine, I'm not sure it's essential to have it or grape juice. BOTH were available at the Last Supper but to assume only wine could've been used is arrogant imho. It's similar to the baptist who claim the thief on the Cross was never baptized. Prove it!! First, it wasn't required of him and secondly there's more evidence that he had been baptized.

Anyhow carry on. Some people have to work around here ha
aggiedad20
I'm sorry. I'll try to be less sarcastic or as you call it arrogant in the future.

As for brother, I don't know you. The brotherhood I'm familiar with are all members of the Lord's church.

Nevertheless, have a great day!
Zobel
AG
I'm ambivalent to the practice. Like I mentioned, some very ancient practices in places with no winemaking tradition are to soak raisins in water overnight before celebrating the Eucharist. There was some historical quibbling about whether it was appropriate to use fresh pressed juice in the second or third century if I recall. For me, it's more about preserving what was handed down to me, to us, as St Paul instructed. So we use wine, and this should not change simply because the text is open to the possibility of something else.
PacifistAg
AG
aggiedad20 said:

I'm sorry. I'll try to be less sarcastic or as you call it arrogant in the future.

As for brother, I don't know you. The brotherhood I'm familiar with are all members of the Lord's church.

Yeah, it wasn't sarcasm. And I'm curious as to what you consider the "Lord's church". If I recall, you are a member of the Church of Christ denomination. If you're restricting it to that, then that's simply wrong. But I affirm Christ as my Lord and Savior. I assume you affirm this. If so, we are brothers:

Quote:

I believe in one God, the Father Almighty, Maker of Heaven and Earth and of all things visible and invisible.

And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of God, the only-begotten, begotten of the Father before all ages. Light of light; true God of true God; begotten, not made; of one essence with the Father, by Whom all things were made; Who for us men and for our salvation came down from Heaven, and was incarnate of the Holy Spirit and the Virgin Mary, and became man. And He was crucified for us under Pontius Pilate, and suffered, and was buried. And the third day He arose again, according to the Scriptures, and ascended into Heaven, and sits at the right hand of the Father; and He shall come again with glory to judge the living and the dead; Whose Kingdom shall have no end.

And in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the Giver of Life, Who proceeds from the Father; Who with the Father and the Son together is worshipped and glorified; Who spoke by the prophets.

In one Holy, catholic, and apostolic Church. I acknowledge one baptism for the remission of sins. I look for the resurrection of the dead and the life of the world to come. Amen.

PacifistAg
AG
k2aggie07 said:

I'm ambivalent to the practice. Like I mentioned, some very ancient practices in places with no winemaking tradition are to soak raisins in water overnight before celebrating the Eucharist. There was some historical quibbling about whether it was appropriate to use fresh pressed juice in the second or third century if I recall. For me, it's more about preserving what was handed down to me, to us, as St Paul instructed. So we use wine, and this should not change simply because the text is open to the possibility of something else.
Fascinating. As always, I always learn something when I read your posts.
Texaggie7nine
Quote:

Why are your posts almost always filled with hostility and arrogance?
A trait I found to be all too common in the CoC congregations that I have experienced.
7nine
Texaggie7nine
aggiedad20 said:

Sorry if you're offended but I detest denominational false doctrines and practices.
Yet you do not detest CoC doctrine.....

7nine
Zobel
AG
This is an interesting book on the topic, from the "nonfermented" side.

P93 is interesting.

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Oinos/bNQXAAAAYAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&printsec=frontcover
ramblin_ag02
AG
Quote:

As for wine, I'm not sure it's essential to have it or grape juice. BOTH were available at the Last Supper but to assume only wine could've been used is arrogant imho.
Do you have any references at all for this? You made the statement about unfermented grape juice in antiquity, and I have never seen any reference, reputable or not, make that claim. I would love to look at any sources you have to the contrary. It is also not "just as difficult" to make wine and unfermented grape juice. To make wine you just smash some grapes and put the juice in a container. You can make it more complicated than that, but that's sufficient to make wine.

To your second point about the strength of the wine. Passover occurs around the spring equinox at the time of the first barley harvest. Jewish people were forbidden from harvesting anything from their fields until after Passover, it is literally the festival of the First Fruits. So everything used during the Passover meal is leftover from the last harvest of the year before. That means all the wine used at Passover was harvested and processed months prior. It has been sitting in its container and fermenting for months. It would definitely have significant alcohol content. A few months of fermentation is plenty of time to raise the alcohol content of wine to near 10%. Whether it was watered-down is open speculation. Romans are known to have watered down wine with 3 parts water to 1 part wine. Only alcoholic Romans drank wine straight. In regards to Jews, there aren't any such records that I'm aware of. So we're just guessing

Again, I'm not trying to make an argument that alcohol is a necessary part of Passover, the Eucharist, or Communion. Just pointing out that the wine used at the Last Supper was definitely alcoholic, barring some unrecorded miraculous intervention.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Zobel
AG

Quote:

To your second point about the strength of the wine. Passover occurs around the spring equinox at the time of the first barley harvest
Excellent point. This frames well some references that at times for the Feast of Transfiguration they used "fresh wine" - because that was the time of year when grapes were harvested. That was what they had.

Amazing how our modern assumptions creep in so easily unless we're careful.
Serotonin
AG
k2aggie07 said:

Amazing how our modern assumptions creep in so easily unless we're careful.
Yep, like we equate the spiritual leaders back then to spiritual leaders today.

But back then the spiritual leaders were the power brokers, politicians, President, Supreme Court, etc.

We live in a world where religion and spirituality are private and individualized. Where religious leaders have very limited political power. They were the political power back then.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Yeah, well now you've got me going down raisin rabbit holes, because I'd never heard of making grape juice from raisins before. Apparently you can literally harvest wine-making yeast from raisins. You just drop the raisins in water for 5 days, and you get a water solution full of active bubbling yeast. Unwaxed raisins also apparently ferment, just very slowly due to lack of water. So if you took dried grapes, stored them over the winter, and then used them to make Passover "wine", then you'd end up with wine with a very low alcohol content.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Texaggie7nine
I still want to know how god will judge me if I eat fake bread made from cauliflower at communion.
7nine
swimmerbabe11
On page one, did anyone expect this to become a 9 page thread?
swimmerbabe11
Texaggie7nine said:

I still want to know how god will judge me if I eat fake bread made from cauliflower at communion.

God may not, but I sure will.
dermdoc
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

I certainly did not when I started it.

And while posting I just kept repeating this verse

Galatians 5 22-23
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self control. Against such things there is no law.

And also Proverbs 6:16-17
There are six things the Lord hates, seven that are an abomination to Him. Haughty eyes is the first one mentioned

dermdoc
AG
aggiedad20 said:

So you are saying that your only brothers/sisters in Christ are members of the CofC denomination? And other baptized, born again Christians are not your brothers/sisters in Christ? Is that CofC doctrine?
Serotonin
AG
dermdoc said:

swimmerbabe11 said:

I certainly did not when I started it.

And while posting I just kept repeating this verse

Galatians 5 22-23
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self control. Against such things there is no law.

And also Proverbs 6:16-17
There are six things the Lord hates, seven that are an abomination to Him. Haughty eyes is the first one mentioned
Yes, and:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pharisee_and_the_Publican
Zobel
AG
You know, I kind of think in some way my approach to discuss things with the CoC / only scripture types is maybe a mistake.

They present an arena for the discussion, a basic premise, that I think is historically incorrect and simply untrue. The arena is based on a couple of assumptions:
  • A rational, intellectual approach to faith
  • A reliance on scripture in such a way that by necessity subordinates scripture to tradition, or pits them against each other
  • The combination of these things to develop a cognitive model of belief, behavior, and activity that becomes normative

Now, my experience is that not only is their basic premise incorrect, but it is ultimately unstable under the weight of its own claims. It doesn't self-support based on scripture, and it is a simple thought exercise to understand that at the onset of Christianity this could not be the approach of the faithful (i.e., because the New Testament scriptures weren't written yet). So on that basis I try to engage. But maybe it's bad, because it seems to tacitly accept their premises rather than challenging them.

The truth is, as I see it, actually the following:
  • An experiential, transcendent approach to the faith
  • A reliance on the Holy Spirit in a real, ongoing way to guard the faith through maintaining what was taught (which by necessity includes both scripture and tradition in a mutually supporting way)
  • Which combines to a liturgical model of belief, behavior, and activity that is normative

The latter explains the way the canonical lists were framed much better than the former. The early canonical lists weren't put together with the explanation of "the information in these books can be constructed into a coherent framework of belief, and we are excluding books that do not fit into this framework." They weren't even overtly said "well, these have to be written by an Apostle" or whatever anachronistic criteria people use these days to justify it.

Instead we see in the very earliest lists statements like that of the Muratorian fragment (the oldest known listing of the NT books in ~170) which says in the negative form

Quote:

We receive only the apocalypses of John and Peter, though some of us are not willing that the latter be read in church. But Hermas wrote the Shepherd very recently, in our times, in the city of Rome, while bishop Pius, his brother, was occupying the [episcopal] chair of the church of the city of Rome. And therefore it ought indeed to be read; but it cannot be read publicly to the people in church either among the Prophets, whose number is complete, or among the Apostles, for it is after [their] time.

Eusebius also says (~AD 325)

Quote:

But as the same apostle, in the salutations at the end of the Epistle to the Romans, has made mention among others of Hermas, to whom the book called The Shepherd is ascribed, it should be observed that this too has been disputed by some, and on their account cannot be placed among the acknowledged books; while by others it is considered quite indispensable, especially to those who need instruction in the elements of the faith. Hence, as we know, it has been publicly read in churches, and I have found that some of the most ancient writers used it.

Cyril of Jerusalem writes (~AD 350)

Quote:

Study earnestly these only which we read openly in the Church. Far wiser and more pious than thyself were the Apostles, and the bishops of old time, the presidents of the Church who handed down these books. Being therefore a child of the Church, trench thou not upon its statutes....But let all the rest be put aside in a secondary rank. And whatever books are not read in Churches, these read not even by thyself, as thou hast heard me say.
The Council of Laodicea (AD 363) declared:
Quote:

Let no private psalms nor any uncanonical books be read in church, but only the canonical ones of the New and Old Testament.
St Athanasius the Great wrote (~360s)
Quote:

There are other books besides these, indeed not received as canonical but having been appointed by our fathers to be read to those just approaching and wishing to be instructed in the word of godliness: Wisdom of Solomon, Wisdom of Sirach, Esther, Judith, Tobit, and that which is called the Teaching of the Apostles, and the Shepherd. But the former, my brethren, are included in the Canon, the latter being merely read.
St Jerome writes around 390:
Quote:

This must be said to our people, that the epistle which is entitled "To the Hebrews" is accepted as the apostle Paul's not only by the churches of the east but by all church writers in the Greek language of earlier times, although many judge it to be by Barnabas or by Clement. It is of no great moment who the author is, since it is the work of a churchman and receives recognition day by day in the public reading of the churches. If the custom of the Latins does not receive it among the canonical scriptures, neither, by the same liberty, do the churches of the Greeks accept John's Apocalypse. Yet we accept them both, not following the custom of the present time but the precedent of early writers, who generally make free use of testimonies from both works.
The council of Carthage in 397 states:

Quote:

Besides the Canonical Scriptures nothing be read in church under the name of divine Scripture....for these are the things which we have received from our fathers to be read in church.
Rufinus of Aquileia around 400 writes:

Quote:

...it seems proper in this place to specify by a distinct enumeration, from the records of the fathers, the books of the New and of the Old Testament, which, in accordance with the tradition of our ancestors, are believed to have been inspired by the Holy Spirit, and handed down to the churches of Christ...

...These are the books which the fathers have included in the canon; on which they would have us establish the declarations of our faith.

With the New Testament there is the book which is called the Shepherd of Hermas, and that which is called The Two Ways and the Judgment of Peter. They were willing to have all these read in the churches but not brought forward for the confirmation of doctrine. The other writings they named "apocrypha," which they would not have read in the churches.

These are what the fathers have handed down to us, which, as I said, I have thought it opportune to set forth in this place, for the instruction of those who are being taught the first elements of the Church and of the Faith, that they may know from what fountains of the Word of God they should draw for drinking.
So the entirety of the transfer of scripture is in a liturgical frame of reference. Scripture was used liturgically, read publicly, just as St Paul talks about in the NT. Public ministry and public teaching, public use, so that anyone who comes can know what the Church teaches. As scriptures says "Ask your father, and he will tell you, your elders, and they will inform you." And again, we come to the Church because "this knowledge is not in all" (1 Corinthians 8:7).
dermdoc
AG
Great post.

Titus 3:10
As for a person who stirs up division, after warning him once and then twice, have nothing more to do with him.

Good advice. God bless and remember "This is the day the Lord hath made, let us rejoice and be glad in it!"
Zobel
AG
Ya for sure.

You know, part 2 for the above is that the idea is what I would call "The Lonely Church" concept. Their view of scripture ends up limiting the activity of Christ with regard to the Church to a very short period of time and a very narrow scope of work.

On the other hand, the premise of a liturgical framework is an ongoing relationship in which we are guided by Christ every time we participate in the Church as Church, that is, as assembly. Every time we assemble, the Spirit is there - and its Christ in us who acts, not us. So we are not left to our own devices or wisdom or understanding to understand in any way, but we have frequent communion with Him and it's through and by this that we come to know Him, and the scriptures which testify to Him.

It's inherently communal, versus the lonely approach which is inherently individual.
Texaggie7nine
CoC fits in well with those who really like structure and rules with no ambiguity. All you have to do is ignore how the NT came into shape historically, and agree to only subscribe to 1 possible interpretation of every single scripture (that being the one you are told to believe) and there you go. You have a tightly formed theology with no room for interpretation and no reason to question anything. Clean and easy.

Thankfully, the pastor at one of the CoC churches I had attended for a few years in summers when I was visiting my dad, started questioning what he was told and eventually the entire church changed to non denominational and hardly anyone left.
7nine
dermdoc
AG
Amen. And I know all believers are my brothers/sisters in Christ. We may disagree on some stuff but not the basic Gospel. Unity is Christlike, division is of the devil.
swimmerbabe11
I just really want to know if the raisin water is even remotely good.
dermdoc
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

I just really want to know if the raisin water is even remotely good.
Living out in the sticks I have debated building a still. Maybe raisin water would be easier.
Serotonin
AG
Great post. The early Christians lived and breathed a in a liturgical world.
Quote:

Luke records that the calling of Paul and Barnabas was the work of the Holy Spirit, and that it took place during the "liturgy." The text reads, "as they were 'liturgizing' (leitourgounton) before the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said 'Set apart for me Barnabas and Saul to the work to which I have called them'"(Acts 13:2). Luke was a physician and well educated. He must have understood what he meant to say about worship: namely, that the community was together in formal and ritual worship, accompanied by fasting, when the Holy Spirit spoke. So in A.D. 46, this early church was worshiping in a liturgical manner using a Christian form carried over from the synagogue. And this was within sixteen years of the resurrection of Jesus Christ. The continuity of worship between the Old and New Covenants is very evident.
But Christians soon had to establish their own liturgical worship forms after persecutions by the Jews:
Quote:

What was this resulting Christian order? The Synagogue worship structure, consisting of a litany of prayers, a confession, eulogies, readings from the Scriptures, an address or homily, and a benediction. This form constituted the core of what was to become specifically Christian worship.

Evidence for this can be found in archaeological evidence from the earliest Syrian churches, as well as in the Apostolic Constitutions and the Didache, and in the continuous practices of the Nestorian Churches. "The old Syrian church appears as a Christianized version of a Jewish Synagogue." [1] There is a bema in the center, an Ark with veil and candle to hold the Word of God, and a seat for the bishop (that is) representative of the seat of Moses. To these Synagogue elements was added an altar, and now the Church had an orientation. The architectural arrangement can be seen in the following illustration.

Christian churches were oriented facing the East for a very specific reason. Christians look to the heavenly Jerusalem from which the Messiah will come, and know themselves to be the "temple of the Holy Spirit." However, the East is the place of the rising sun, and for early Christians this was "the only fitting symbol of the last appearance of Christ in His parousia, as Sun of Justice in Zecharia." [2] Tertullian speaks of public and private prayer to the East as being an Apostolic tradition, and it expressed the eschatological expectation that Christ will appear as the Rising Sun that will never set.

To the core Synagogue structure (commonly referred to as the Synaxis or the Liturgy of the Word) was added the fulfilled Temple worship, the Eucharist, which was inserted prior to the benediction. This included the use of sung or chanted Psalms which were part of Jewish worship, and to which St. Paul refers in Ephesians 5:19 and Colossians 3:16 when he encourages the use of "psalms, hymns and spiritual songs." Again, St. Paul's Missionary approach demonstrates this connection, for his approach in any new city was to worship first in the Synagogue using that base for proclaiming the Gospel. The Jerusalem Church was the "Mother Church" for early Christianity, to which the Church at large looked for guidance in all things theological and liturgical. The missionary churches naturally followed the form of the Jerusalem Church. Thus, the Gentile churches which came into being as a result of St. Paul's preaching and teaching had this same Jewish rule of prayer, or order of worship. The similarity to the Synagogue ritual within the first century Church demonstrates an early universal acceptance of Jewish worship origins. [3]
Quote:

In his book, The History of The Church (18.1), Eusebius, a fourth century historian and bishop, quotes Philo, a Jewish historian writing in the first century. Philo describes the Christian "all-night vigils of the great festival, the spiritual discipline in which they are spent, the hymns that we always recite, and how while one man sings in regular rhythm the others listen silently and join in the refrains of the hymn." [4] This is antiphonal singing of litanies, and certainly reflects Jewish worship practice, which Philo recognizes. By the end of the first century, the Christian Church was present throughout much of the Empire. There were established churches in most of the major cities and many smaller ones. These churches continued following the order of Jewish worship, essentially the Synagogue form with the inclusion of the Eucharist. But, the typical worship of the first and second centuries was by necessity simple. The Church was generally under persecution, so it tended to hold its worship services in secret, and usually in the homes of members.
http://www.holytrinitymission.org/books/english/early_christian_liturgics.htm
dermdoc
AG
Fascinating. Thanks for that.
Serotonin
AG
There are a lot of interesting early sources. I'm sure k2 has read them all but I'm just discovering this stuff. Apostolic Tradition by Hippolytus ~235 sheds a lot of light on the existing liturgy and church life at the time.

In the 4th century a woman named Egeria traveled to Jerusalem to partake in the Paschal Week. The diary notes of her pilgrimage were preserved, Thank God!:
https://www.crossroadsinitiative.com/media/articles/liturgy-in-4th-century-jerusalem-the-travels-of-egeria/

It is filled with interesting details on the liturgy:

Quote:

Now at the tenth hour, which they call here licinicon, or as we say lucernare, all the people assemble at the Anastasis in the same manner, and all the candles and tapers are lit, making a very great light. Now the light is not introduced from without, but it is brought forth from within the cave, that is from within the rails, where a lamp is always burning day and night, and the vesper psalms and antiphons are said, lasting for a considerable time. Then the bishop is summoned, and he comes and takes a raised seat, and likewise the priests sit in their proper places, and hymns and antiphons are said.
Can you imagine being in Jerusalem in the 300s at this service, gathered around the cave and watching all the candles being lit, making a great light. What a scene!

https://instagr.am/p/BhSQuaNheE1
dermdoc
AG
Thanks again. That is an awesome account. I would have loved to be there.
dermdoc
AG
From the journal
For no one exacts from any how much he should do, but each does what he can, nor is he praised who has done much, nor is he blamed what has done less.

I love that. Wish that was the attitude at churches today.

And I think that is what Heaven and the New Jerusalem will be like. But even better, because we will actually be in the presence of the Lord. Hallelujah! For believers, it will be an ecstatic joyful constant experience while for non believers it will probably be like hell.
Serotonin
AG
Yes, that is great passage. It reflects the message of the Paschal homily. Both point to the awesome reality of Christ's love for us.
Quote:

Is there anyone here who is a devout lover of God? Let them enjoy this beautiful bright festival.
Is there anyone who is a grateful servant? Let them rejoice and enter into the joy of their Lord!
Are there any now weary with fasting? Let them now receive their wages!

If they have toiled from the first hour, let them receive their due reward;
If any have come after the third hour, let him with gratitude join in the Feast!
And he that arrived after the sixth hour, let him not doubt; for he shall have sustained no loss.
And if any have delayed until the ninth hour, let him not hesitate; but let him come too.
And he who arrived only at the eleventh hour, let him not be afraid by reason of his delay.

For the Lord is gracious and receives the last even as the first.
He gives rest to him who comes at the eleventh hour, as well as to him who toiled from the first.
To this one He gives, and upon another He bestows.

He accepts the work as he greets the endeavor.
The deed He honors and the intention He commends.
Let us all enter into the joy of the Lord!

First and last alike receive your reward;
Rich and poor, rejoice together!
Sober and slothful, celebrate the day!
You that have kept the fast, and you that have not, rejoice today for the Table is richly laden!
Feast royally on it, the calf is a fatted one.
Let no one go away hungry; partake, all, of the cup of faith.
Enjoy all the riches of His goodness!

Let no one grieve at his poverty, for the universal kingdom has been revealed.
Let no one mourn that he has fallen again and again; for forgiveness has risen from the grave.
Let no one fear death, for the death of our Savior has set us free.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.