St. Ambrose on Justification

7,935 Views | 144 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by AgLiving06
AgLiving06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I see you continue to plow right ahead with whatever you want.

There's really no reason for me to continue with this conversation. You've made it clear you right on all topics regardless of facts.

Have a good day.
Zobel
AG
With whatever I want being quotes of the Augsburg Confession, Luther's Small and Large Catechism, and LCMS websites? Those "facts"?

I'm glad to be wrong, when I am wrong.

It's fine though, you haven't answered a single question in about four pages. Probably best to not continue anyway.
Zobel
AG
Sigh. I really didn't intend for that to go that way. I got annoyed when you corrected me based on a nuance, but that happened out of my own lack of humility. Sorry. Forgive me, a sinner.

With the topic of the number, as Melanchthon said - "No prudent person will struggle concerning the number or the term, if only those objects are kept which have God's command and promises." I don't really think the dispute between Constantinople and Tubingen over the number of sacraments is a "real" problem, per se, certainly not in modern terms as the nuanced Lutheran position is more or less the same as the Orthodox.

And for that reason I wish Melanchthon had been alive when the discussion between Tubingen and Constantinople had been ongoing, or able to talk to Jeremias in person or by letter. It would have been absolutely marvelous if they had been able to come to an agreement, and from what I've read of Melanchthon he was a whole lot more Orthodox than not (indeed the original letters to Constantinople were written titled "A Defense of the Orthodox Faith" with the expectation from the Lutherans that they would find complete agreement).
swimmerbabe11
You linked article 13, but I find it interesting that you and I have completely different takeaways when reading that.

It's a good lesson for me, that because I have been studying this stuff since childhood, what seems obvious to me..may not seem obvious to someone who isnt as familiar with Lutheran theology from a holistic standpoint. I suppose, that is probably the problem with this whole thread.
swimmerbabe11
Nvm dp
AgLiving06
swimmerbabe11 said:

You linked article 13, but I find it interesting that you and I have completely different takeaways when reading that.

It's a good lesson for me, that because I have been studying this stuff since childhood, what seems obvious to me..may not seem obvious to someone who isnt as familiar with Lutheran theology from a holistic standpoint. I suppose, that is probably the problem with this whole thread.

This is good advice for most aspects of life.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.