Does God plan everything that happens? (4 Views)

3,204 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Star Wars Memes Only
DirtDiver
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Quote:

I think you can - and should - conclude that any statement about God is illogical, for sure.

I would replace the word illogical with a made up word "above- logical".

Jesus is God. God created the world. God has foreknowledge. God created humanity with free will. God defines the parameters of logic. Man has sinned against God. God died to pay for the sins of mankind on the cross. Those who believe in Him will have their sins forgiven for free. Jesus rose from the dead.

These statements do not lack clear sense and reasoning. While we don't have all of the 'Why' and "how" questions answered, we are not left to simply guess at all things about God.
Zobel
AG
Christian theology has already addressed these things with a fair degree of technicality. The difference is when we say what is and isn't "about" God.

Everything we can say we can only say about God insofar as His interaction with the created order, His chosen revelation to us, and His Energies, or workings. Through these things we can lean who He is, and we can make statements about His Energies - God is Love, God is Truth, God is Holy and so on. And, because there never was a time when He was not Love, or True, or Holy, these things are uncreated as well, and are also God.

But we can say nothing whatsoever about the Divine Essence, which is how and what He is. Any statements about God in how He exists or what He is, are inherently illogical.
Silent For Too Long
Really good discussion. Kudos to all participants.
Star Wars Memes Only
Aggrad08 said:

The way I see it it's not different than having perfect knowledge after the universe has ended everything is in the past. It all happened the causal agents all made their choices.

One of the premises in my argument is that if my future is predetermined then I cannot have free will in that future. I'm also working off the premise that if a being exists with perfect knowledge of the future then this logically implies that the future is predetermined. Furthermore, I think the symmetry between knowing the future perfectly and knowing the past perfectly is broken with regards to the free will argument because of causality. Because worldlines only travel into the future, knowledge about the past and the future have very different implications. Importantly, knowledge about the past doesn't imply any sort of predetermination.

Just to make things a little clearer let's talk about specific times. We will call them t0, t1, and t2 such that t0<t1<t2. Assume that there are actors at t1. If at t2 you have some recording of all events prior to t2 then by watching it you have gained knowledge about how the actors at t1 chose to act. Since the actors have already acted, gaining this knowledge through such a mechanism doesn't preclude the actors at t1 from acting freely.

On the other hand, let's say that somehow at t0 you have perfect knowledge of all future events in the universe. Then all events at t>t1 must transpire in accordance with your perfect knowledge, otherwise you couldn't call what you have perfect knowledge and this would create a contradiction in terms. It follows that the future of any actors at t1 is therefore predetermined, and this is inconsistent with the free will hypothesis.

I understand that neither of these scenarios are precisely what you are talking about, but I feel that they are pertinent because they demonstrate why coincidence between omniscience and free will is easier after the choice of all free actors has already been made. Perfect knowledge at t2 allows the actors at t1 to choose from a myriad of different paths, and omniscience can be acquired by gaining knowledge of their choices. However, foreknowledge of an actor's actions logically implies what particular path they must take

However, your omniscient being is neither at t0 or t2. It is somewhere "outside" of all of this. Perhaps he can look at the universe and gain knowledge about all things through history all at once. Therefore all actors can chose freely and omniscience comes by gaining knowledge of all choices through history suddenly. I think this creates a sort of grandfather paradox. Is God's knowledge of the choice primary, or is the actor choosing primary? We can also consider this from the perspective of someone within the universe. From his perspective there is an entity who knows his future. This leads to the logical implication of predetermination. If we also assert free will, this creates a contradiction.

However, we can go even further. I assert that any metaphysical "hyperreality" cannot be termed real in any sense of the word unless it has, is, or will at some point in the future interact with physical reality. Certainly all Abrahamic religions would grant me that God has at some point in the past interacted with our world. At that point the situation is identical to the omniscient being in scenario 2 at t0. If such a God is omniscient, our future must be predetermined.

In all such cases the consistency of free will and omniscience seems to create profound logical conundrums. If the omniscient being has the qualities typically ascribed to God not only does it create logical problems, it creates logical contradictions, and is therefore impossible. At least that's the way I see it.

Star Wars Memes Only
k2aggie07 said:

there is no reason to assume that logic is more prime than reality.

Isn't logic by definition more prime than reality? It's nothing more than a set of syntactic rules between propositions. Since you're free to fill in the semantics as you like, logic can be applied to any system which obeys propositional calculus. This can include real situations, but also unreal situations.
Zobel
AG
Sure, but that logic is more or less a formal system of empirically derived constraints. The law of noncontradiction is the foundation of classical logic, but quantum mechanics sort of erodes that. No problem, we can use quantum logic instead! Just like since a truth criterion can't be found in any formal language, we can create a higher metalanguage to have an external truth criterion to the lower language. And another layer over that, and another, etc.

The point is everything is fine until it isn't, and then you need another tool to describe reality. I see no reason why God should be constrained by logic any more than time.
titan
S
Aggrad08 said:

It's about perspective. If you exist outside time than there is nothing that's not "already happened". It would be like perfect knowledge of the past. That doesn't necessarily effect the mechanism by which the universe worked in the past. It's like tralfamadorian perspective on existence.
This is always an intriguing connundrum, if not paradox.

The moment began reading the thread wanted to mention this, but Aggrad08 actually hit upon its outline here:

Quote:

I agree if you combine it with omnipotence. There is no logically sound way out. Free Will dies under this combination.

This is easily resolved if theists weren't so intransient in their definitions of omnipotence and omniscience. Were Omni to be slightly less than absolute in either category he'd still be more than capable of creating a damn fine universe and the logic suddenly works.

This goes to the MYSTERY that we make certain assumptions about God when we use certain absolutist terms like "eternal" in human words. What you are saying is if even the human word didn't carrry some truly incomprenhensible absolutism as vs the `next closest' --- "for intents and purposes is X".

This especially imo holds some possible keys:

Quote:

But the other, being omniscient would have to exist outside of time. He'd see creation as a static 4-d thing. Past and present would be mere coordinates on a map he didn't draw but fully understood. Or a movie he'd seen before.

Exactly. Bingo. Since it is routinely said that God exists outside time, even created it, or is able to suspend the physical laws that we know of (which has nothing to do with any that may apply to His perspective) --- consider this:

I could arguably say I know the beginning, middle, and end of World War II. Because I stand "outside" time as far as its participants are concerned if there was some way to actually "time tunnel" like re-impose into that time period. And yes, does the mere knowing of the beginning and end both abolish the free will of what occurred in them? If you use this crude analogy, the answer is NO. Because wasn't making the choices as they went along in `real-time' for them---no puppeteering involved.

From "within time" --- that can look like absolute determinism. But its not really.

This seems one way to look at it ----- God KNOWS all at any given time, because to a human perspective He exists "after history" as well as before it.

There is one other related way have thought to look at it that has already been alluded to---in the Asimov Foundation series the idea was raised that you can predict the future by knowing enough details about a large enough sample of events or lives but how to achieve this or understand it was one of the themes. (Won't reveal that). It is possible to also see God's Omniscience this way --- able to calculate to only the slightest fraction of an infinitesimal variant, how things will interplay.

Just some thoughts. Part of the challenge in the great question is the issue of the definitions of what the terms actually would encompass. Just like trying to define `eternal' if you think about.

OP, great initial summary.
dds08
AG
I'm pretty sure God planned on freedom.
Star Wars Memes Only
k2aggie07 said:

The law of noncontradiction is the foundation of classical logic, but quantum mechanics sort of erodes that.

Has the law of noncontradiction been violated? That seems like it would be definitionally impossible to me. I'm familiar of the existence of quantum logic, but I don't think it makes any claims quite so grandiose. If I'm wrong, please enlighten me.
titan
S
dds08 said:

I'm pretty sure God planned on freedom.
Very probable. Another way to make the argument is pretty simplistic but seems to have point nonetheless: it is far more "His level" to have a creation that is capable of free moments and some spontaneity than it would be an absolutely per-determined game. It somewhat "fits" the grandeur you would expect at that level---even fiction writers sometimes have their characters "suggest" things to them that goes against what they were writing because it fits them a little better. This simple moment is not possible when everything is literally scripted and that sounds rather boring. But that is not an argument-- just an intuition along the lines you are saying.
Zobel
AG
"Sort of" erodes it. Appears to violate it.

Reality is, and logic is a tool to check how we describe it with our models. QM requires us to be more precise/clever about how we describe things in ways that classical logic may not support. Just like algebra does not support integrals. Calculus doesn't invalidate algebra, it just covers more ground or says different things. It comes back to what you assign as truth criterion and how you constrain and evaluate it.
dds08
AG
Well, I'll put it this way, (and yall know I read a lot of Narnia) one of the characters asked Aslan, about the future of one of the other characters and he said it's difficult to know what he or she will choose to do in the future (or how they will choose to use their freedom and where their decisions will take them)

I think it was in The Voyage of the Dawn Treader when Lucy was looking or spying, on her peers while in the Magicians house.

If all of us could have the freedom to fly into outer space or to another galaxy with solely our own bodies we would. All that to say, our freedom has limits. God is sovereign and we cannot go past that sovereignty.

However, with what I read in Galatians 5 about the fruits of the Spirit, namely Love, Joy, Peace, etc. those who choose to believe in the Lord, and wholeheartedly obey/love Him, have no limits, per se.

I'm sure we humans surprise even God at times through repenting after we've clearly gone wrong or overcome the trials and tests that he sends us. Look at Job or Joseph or even Abraham ( and what he did with Issac)

• Job could have easily listened to his wife and cursed God and died, failing the test.
  • Joseph could have easily moped and stayed in a pity party the whole time he was in jail after, Potiphar's wife lied on him. Which could have led to him not helping the baker and the cupbearer, failing the test.
  • Abraham? Abraham could have easily chosen to not listen to God and go up that mountain with Issac. One must wonder what his fate had been had he not decided to go through with preparing to sacrifice Issac. (which, come to think of it all, makes me connect the Heavenly Father sending Jesus here to earth to be a living sacrifice.) Abraham : Issac as The Heavenly Father : Jesus (sacrifice for the greater good)
Star Wars Memes Only
k2aggie07 said:

"Sort of" erodes it. Appears to violate it.

What quantum effect sort of violated the law of noncontradiction?
titan
S

Quote:

I'm sure we humans surprise even God at times through repenting after we've clearly gone wrong or overcome the trials and tests that he sends us. Look at Job or Joseph or even Abraham ( and what he did with Issac)

• Job could have easily listened to his wife and cursed God and died, failing the test.
  • Joseph could have easily moped and stayed in a pity party the whole time he was in jail after, Potiphar's wife lied on him. Which could have led to him not helping the baker and the cupbearer, failing the test.
  • Abraham? Abraham could have easily chosen to not listen to God and go up that mountain with Issac. One must wonder what his fate had been had he not decided to go through with preparing to sacrifice Issac. (which, come to think of it all, makes me connect the Heavenly Father sending Jesus here to earth to be a living sacrifice.) Abraham : Issac as The Heavenly Father : Jesus (sacrifice for the greater good)

Yes, good points. I would cite another example, one that always got my attention. Remembering the bargaining with God to spare a city? Almost like at a bazaar, bargaining down from some 100 people, 50 people, and yes, will spare it for 10 good people. I was half-expecting God to say --- "10 doesn't cut it---they need to get out of the city with you!".

But that really does sound like God carrying on a negotiable point, and hence, a bit of that `surprise' you are describing. Of course theologians of any of the main views of the OP can answer that riddle in different ways, but it does go to your point imo.

Star Wars Memes Only
titan said:

I could arguably say I know the beginning, middle, and end of World War II. Because I stand "outside" time as far as its participants are concerned if there was some way to actually "time tunnel" like re-impose into that time period. And yes, does the mere knowing of the beginning and end both abolish the free will of what occurred in them? If you use this crude analogy, the answer is NO. Because wasn't making the choices as they went along in `real-time' for them---no puppeteering involved.

Any time we talk about time travel things get convoluted because we have to deal with things like grandfather paradoxes, and I think that's the case here as well. How can you know what choices someone is going to make before they make them?

But ignoring all this, lets look at the simplest possible scenario: somehow you are transported back to the original WWII as an incorporeal observer. You can't interact with anything, all you can do is be there and observe. Then there are two possible scenarios. Either the actors in this timeline can make choices different than what you know, in which case you are not omniscient, or they are bound to what you know. But if they are bound to what you know then their future is determined. But if the only difference in this timeline and the previous timeline is your incorporeal presence that cannot interact with the physical world then their future was always determined, and any choices that seemingly were made were illusory. So either the actors had free will but you were never omniscient to begin with, or you were omniscient but the future was predetermined and therefore the actors' free will was always illusory.
Zobel
AG
Quantum superposition?
Star Wars Memes Only
It's unintuitive, but not self-contradicting.
Zobel
AG
That's why I said sort of.
Zobel
AG
There's also other issues with the uncertainty principle. I read an article on it a while back but now I can't remember. There is a reason Quantum Logic was thought to be necessary.
Star Wars Memes Only
Doing away with a distributive law is wildly different than doing away with something fundamental like the law of noncontradiction, though. I don't think any system makes much sense and truly does away with it.
Zobel
AG
Doesn't particle wave duality have an issue with noncontradiction?

Edit. But then you just say the model of a particle or wave is wrong and logic is right. Touch sir.
Star Wars Memes Only
k2aggie07 said:

Doesn't particle wave duality have an issue with noncontradiction?

Why? Qm is a logically consistent system in the sense that no statement and its negation are simultaneously true, and wave particle duality is built into that.
titan
S

Quote:

But ignoring all this, lets look at the simplest possible scenario: somehow you are transported back to the original WWII as an incorporeal observer. You can't interact with anything, all you can do is be there and observe. Then there are two possible scenarios. Either the actors in this timeline can make choices different than what you know, in which case you are not omniscient, or they are bound to what you know.
Good post, references the attempted illustration well. In this first case, the actors can and do make the decisions they made at the time. Now remember in the scenario you are the one after somehow able to go back in time. If you assume God is following a self-imposed `prime directive' to not "think for you" he simply knows what happened, but is not interfering outside his own plan.

Quote:

But if they are bound to what you know then their future is determined.
Its not really though, and they are not bound so much as have already done --- in the scenario, we, you and I, simply 'know' what occurred retroactively. We didn't make the decisions for them. We just know the beginning and end of the war - -the before and after `time of man' in the theology analogy. But we didn't decide it---we stand outside it.

Quote:

But if the only difference in this timeline and the previous timeline is your incorporeal presence that cannot interact with the physical world then their future was always determined, and any choices that seemingly were made were illusory. So either the actors had free will but you were never omniscient to begin with, or you were omniscient but the future was predetermined and therefore the actors' free will was always illusory.

Yes, it can work out that way, but if you see time itself as a product of the "internal" and not external perspective (again think of time as a book on WW II from start to finish---I use this because it is one of the few start-to-end subjects most know in rough outline these days) . From the external perspective it might look like they are deprived of free will, since we know it can only turn out one way, but they were not.

What attempting to illustrate is maybe the question is phrased from the external point of view, and not the actors point of view. I know it is convoluted---I just find sci fi approaches one of the few that can even capture some attempt to illustrate this kind of thing.

Aggrad also hit on the other key--if we allow God to impose self-limits, and be selective about when acts, it can work a bit too.

Zobel
AG
Aren't the identities of a particle and a wave mutually exclusive?
Aggrad08
AG

Quote:

Omnis are tricky, because you're subjecting God to logic. Unless you're some kind of logical Platonist, or believe that in the hierarchy of created things logic precedes material creation, there is no reason to assume that logic is more prime than reality.
When you stop subjecting god to logic you've basically decided to stop thinking about it rationally. It might be possible for something fundamentally illogical to be true, but I see absolutely no reason to follow any belief that leads to such a conclusion without dramatic evidence in favor. Let alone something like religious faith.
Quote:

You say there's nothing He doesn't cause, and that's true. But it's like the question of can God create a rock He can't lift? Can God create a being with free will? I'm not sure that the law of noncontradiction applies to God.
Like I said above. I'm left with two choices in situtations like these. Chalk something up to divine mystery and ignore that it's fundamentally irrational, or simply conclude that the assertion is mere human conjecture that's extremely likely to be untrue. The latter seams much more reasonable. Too often theists try to hide behind mystery. Let's just call it what it is, irrational. Does god necessarily obey the laws of logic. I think likely that he would, but we can't prove it. But when examining truths as a human being, there is nothing that we are more skeptical of than things which violate the law of non-contradiction. It's fundamental to all our understanding. So to answer your question no I don't' think god can create a rock he can't lift, and I don't think he can create free will without diluting the Omni's.
Quote:

Prayer doesn't require God to change His mind. And I don't think God reacts to our prayers, because God as you say is omniscient. But God's plan or providence or will plays out in time, with people in time, with free will but without violating it.
If prayer is effective it must require god to change his mind. That's the issue. Either prayer is effective or it isn't, either the actions of the deity changed because you prayed or they did not. If you did cause a change, you can throw your Omni's right out the window (which you probably should as they are not very well attested to in scripture and could in many instances be replaced with "really really ridiculously, unfathomably " which is distinct from infinite.

Quote:

When we pray, God hears our prayers. But He is outside of time, so He hears them in a way that is completely orthogonal to the axis of time. He heard our prayers in a non-time when we didn't yet exist, and after we existed. He heard the prayer in this non-when and shaped the universe accordingly. Every action we engage in with free will is a part of the dance, continuously, because God creates with perfect knowledge of our free will
Yea you have to violate non-contradiction to do this. He dictated our prayers in such a scenario, he shaped our every aspect such that every minute action is accounted for and designed. There is no room for free will, and no way for him to take our prayers into account as he dictated them-you are imagine some scenario where god does not know what we pray and adjusts for it at the begging of all time, but you've allowed no room for that.

Quote:

It's not call and response, you don't pray and God says "oh ok, now I'll act". It's that when He created, He took into consideration your actual free will to pray and structured reality with this in mind.
It's the same thing. It doesn't matter if he's seeing it in the future or not, either your "free" action effected (was taken into account) by god or not. If he took it into account it changed his action and you cannot have this and your Omni's too.
Quote:

God's act of creation was, I believe, one act, one creative cacophony experienced by us in time as a continuous existence. And our action within this structure is real, and part of the structure. Our free will, our action, our prayers determine what has been and what will be.
then god is not omniscient. It's quite simply contradictory.
Aggrad08
AG

Quote:

One of the premises in my argument is that if my future is predetermined then I cannot have free will in that future. I'm also working off the premise that if a being exists with perfect knowledge of the future then this logically implies that the future is predetermined. Furthermore, I think the symmetry between knowing the future perfectly and knowing the past perfectly is broken with regards to the free will argument because of causality. Because worldlines only travel into the future, knowledge about the past and the future have very different implications. Importantly, knowledge about the past doesn't imply any sort of predetermination.
I think I agree with all of these. I'm just not sure I agree with you as to what "the future" means to a timeless being.

Quote:

On the other hand, let's say that somehow at t0 you have perfect knowledge of all future events in the universe. Then all events at t>t1 must transpire in accordance with your perfect knowledge, otherwise you couldn't call what you have perfect knowledge and this would create a contradiction in terms. It follows that the future of any actors at t1 is therefore predetermined, and this is inconsistent with the free will hypothesis
This certainly follow if we were to imagine a being within our universe being omniscient. As this sort of linear A theory of time you are working with would have the observes on the same stream of time as the actors (I'm more a B theory of time guy myself).

Quote:

I understand that neither of these scenarios are precisely what you are talking about, but I feel that they are pertinent because they demonstrate why coincidence between omniscience and free will is easier after the choice of all free actors has already been made. Perfect knowledge at t2 allows the actors at t1 to choose from a myriad of different paths, and omniscience can be acquired by gaining knowledge of their choices. However, foreknowledge of an actor's actions logically implies what particular path they must take
Agreed.

Quote:

However, your omniscient being is neither at t0 or t2. It is somewhere "outside" of all of this. Perhaps he can look at the universe and gain knowledge about all things through history all at once. Therefore all actors can chose freely and omniscience comes by gaining knowledge of all choices through history suddenly. I think this creates a sort of grandfather paradox. Is God's knowledge of the choice primary, or is the actor choosing primary? We can also consider this from the perspective of someone within the universe. From his perspective there is an entity who knows his future. This leads to the logical implication of predetermination. If we also assert free will, this creates a contradiction.
I think the actor's choice is primary. And the tricky thing with perspectives is that they don't have to match. Relativity shows us the same thing with the amount of relative time between observes not lining up. I would imagine from the perspective outside of time the entire universe would be an instantaneous event suddenly understood in whatever causal system you want to replace time with that allows god's causal action.
Quote:

However, we can go even further. I assert that any metaphysical "hyperreality" cannot be termed real in any sense of the word unless it has, is, or will at some point in the future interact with physical reality. Certainly all Abrahamic religions would grant me that God has at some point in the past interacted with our world. At that point the situation is identical to the omniscient being in scenario 2 at t0. If such a God is omniscient, our future must be predetermined.
I would agree that once god starts acting within the universe it gets very tricky to keep free will alive. I would amend my original statement to be omniscience plus the act of creation leaves no logical room. You have to have a non-causal observer.

Quote:

In all such cases the consistency of free will and omniscience seems to create profound logical conundrums. If the omniscient being has the qualities typically ascribed to God not only does it create logical problems, it creates logical contradictions, and is therefore impossible. At least that's the way I see it.
I think that's a reasonable point of view. I also think it's really trivial to solve by turning omniscient into "really really".

With this line of thought my issue is more with theists insistence on maximal definitions than the claim of theism being fundamentally flawed.

titan
S

Quote:

This certainly follow if we were to imagine a being within our universe being omniscient. As this sort of linear A theory of time you are working with would have the observes on the same stream of time as the actors (I'm more a B theory of time guy myself).
For myself, if I read your statement correctly, I am more B theory of time as well --- at least in the anaology that is what I am implying. God not on the same stream of time as the actors, but like the example, able to see both its start and finish from a distance as a whole. (A book).
Quote:

I think the actor's choice is primary. And the tricky thing with perspectives is that they don't have to match. Relativity shows us the same thing with the amount of relative time between observes not lining up. I would imagine from the perspective outside of time the entire universe would be an instantaneous event suddenly understood in whatever causal system you want to replace time with that allows god's causal action.

Exactly. This is where the concept of `mystery' is more arguably and fairly applied. As in, it is a genuine mystery what perspective is presumed. It just isn't discussed. (See next for related)

This is a spectacularly good line, and can be just borne in mind, imo.

Quote:

With this line of thought my issue is more with theists insistence on maximal definitions than the claim of theism being fundamentally flawed.

And, consider ---- it gets more ambiguous when looking at the past attitudes ---- the real possibility that the ancient writers themselves, did not see those maximal definitions as the guide---they were thinking something else. A very good example is how the actual span of years and days in Genesis was seen even by Augustine ?Ambrose, and that his `literal' was a different kind of `literal' than tends to mean today. So if certain `maximal' outlooks were not held then, why are they demanded now?

chuckd
AG
WLC Q. 18. What are God's works of providence?

A. God's works of providence are his most holy, wise, and powerful preserving and governing all his creatures; ordering them, and all their actions, to his own glory.
Star Wars Memes Only
Quote:

In this first case, the actors can and do make the decisions they made at the time. Now remember in the scenario you are the one after somehow able to go back in time. If you assume God is following a self-imposed `prime directive' to not "think for you" he simply knows what happened, but is not interfering outside his own plan.

It's not that God actively interferes, it's that foreknowledge of the future is mutually exclusive with an undetermined future. I don't see how it can be any other way.

Quote:

Its not really though, and they are not bound so much as have already done --- in the scenario, we, you and I, simply 'know' what occurred retroactively. We didn't make the decisions for them. We just know the beginning and end of the war - -the before and after `time of man' in the theology analogy. But we didn't decide it---we stand outside it.

If you're using terms like "retroactive" for the future you seem to be implicitly imposing a cyclic topology on time. So you have a structure of something like nt=t. And that's fine, but what I'm talking about going all the way back to n=1. What happens then? At that point, no decision has been made? If you reconsider my original argument from this point of view, I think the paradox still applies.

Quote:

Yes, it can work out that way, but if you see time itself as a product of the "internal" and not external perspective (again think of time as a book on WW II from start to finish---I use this because it is one of the few start-to-end subjects most know in rough outline these days) . From the external perspective it might look like they are deprived of free will, since we know it can only turn out one way, but they were not.

What attempting to illustrate is maybe the question is phrased from the external point of view, and not the actors point of view. I know it is convoluted

It seems to me to be quite the opposite. It is the external reality (God's knowledge of the future) which imposes a logical restriction on the universe, but it is from the internal perspective that the implication that this is inconsistent with free will becomes clear. At least, that's what I've tried to argue.
Star Wars Memes Only
Quote:

Aren't the identities of a particle and a wave mutually exclusive?

I suppose that's true, but waves and particles are both classical entities. This wave-particle duality terminology that is frequently used in quantum mechanics is a historical remnant. Neither waves nor particles accurately describe what is going on at the quantum level.
Star Wars Memes Only
Quote:

I'm just not sure I agree with you as to what "the future" means to a timeless being.

There is a reality to the causal structure of the universe. However the timeless entity perceives the universe, he should be able to use that causal structure to orient himself as to where the future and past of some event in spacetime is, especially if he is omniscient.

Quote:

This is an interesting topic in and of itself for discussion. I will start another thread about it.

However, regarding this discussion, I don't see how subscribing to the B theory of time changes anything. Free will as I'm conceiving it allows an actor to act in at least two different ways in his future. If anything, the B theory of times seems to preclude this even further. I don't see how one can subscribe to the B theory of time and not be a determinist. The only way I can see that salvages free will under this understanding of time is a compatibilist's interpretation.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.