C.S. Lewis' Most Controversial Beliefs

4,834 Views | 78 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Zobel
dermdoc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So Calvinism does work like I said? Nd we have no control over being able to go through the narrow gate, correct? So what difference does anything we do make?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Frok
AG
dermdoc said:

Frok said:

It's both inclusive and exclusive. Inclusive in that it's available to all tongues, tribes, and nations but exclusive in that it is the only way and not all will accept it.

So do you think they do not accept it because they are predestined not to accept it(Calvinism)or do you think they reject it via free will? I believe the latter.

Personally I believe we have free will but there are times when I am on the fence.
titan
S
dermdoc said:

So Calvinism does work like I said? Nd we have no control over being able to go through the narrow gate, correct? So what difference does anything we do make?
It is very worked out, make no mistake, and impressively constructed.

However, as you have fixed upo -- one thing that never really clicks is it seems very clear that while called to witness, and to be a certain way, the net result is that there is no stake in shaping a life around it. You could just go ahead with whatever, and it will work out. It can read like a time travel inevitability paradox.

Even more important -- politically there is no stake for governments or societies to attempt to legislate from it or impose things based around it. So even if you leave the individual conundrum out of it, taken as presented, it would seem to mean governments could afford to `blow off' certain things as there is no particular `what they will do will determine Y' or not, as does exist in most theistic systems, including pagan Roman ones.
Zobel
AG
It is not about smart or not. There is no requirement to be intelligent to accept God. But we all have a choice. God calls everyone.

We are creatures of dirt, but made with a rational spirit in the divine image. To lose free will makes us like animals.
Pro Sandy
AG
dermdoc said:

Frok said:

Quote:

was inclusive to all "who called upon the name of the Lord will be saved" Romans 10:13.

I might have read his view incorrectly but I think what the Lewis quote said was those who don't call on the name of the Lord could be saved if they followed their religion devoutly.
And of course, if you are a Calvinist, you do not even need to call upon the name of the Lord if you are of the "elect". And on the other side, if you are not of the "elect", calling on the name of the Lord does zero good.
That's not the Calvinist belief. The belief is we cannot call upon the Lord without being elect, for God must cause us to be born again in order to be born of the Spirit and even be able to have faith. And if we are born of the Spirit, God's call is effectual and we will respond. On the other hand, when we are dead in our sins, we are unable to call upon the Lord until awaken by Him.
titan
S
Frok said:

dermdoc said:

Frok said:

It's both inclusive and exclusive. Inclusive in that it's available to all tongues, tribes, and nations but exclusive in that it is the only way and not all will accept it.

So do you think they do not accept it because they are predestined not to accept it(Calvinism)or do you think they reject it via free will? I believe the latter.

Personally I believe we have free will but there are times when I am on the fence.
Basically agree with your take there. Particularly there are times when "on the fence" about what Augustine thought, or some of the others on this question. Put another way, the Reformation claim that Calvinism represents a genuine "take" at least from some of the Church fathers and can derive from Council of Orange and others seems to have some substance. In other words, it is best dealt with by re-examining in a non-politicized context, rather than relying on post-Reformation denunciations. The Orthodox's take on the Reformation and Calvinism in particular is probably very instructive here, and should be looked at closer. Because by that time and after, they had less local political stake in the quarrel. For the same reason, some of the finest Western vs Eastern catholic dialogue takes place around the 15th C, when Orthodox theologians fleeing the Turks get to have some input and discussions with their Western counterparts.

As to the actuality, one of the things that disturbs is the apparent depriving of God himself of free will, by tying His actions to some idea of an absolutist definition or declaration. It just seems His choices are not pre-determined.
Texaggie7nine
The way they play it is, you will live as a Christian if you are of his elect. You have no control over the matter, what you end up doing or thinking you decide was decided long before you existed in this world. If you are his elect you can't decide "what does it matter what I do if it's already decided?" Because you cannot resist his will to do as he intended.
7nine
The Debt
k2aggie07 said:

It is not about smart or not. There is no requirement to be intelligent to accept God. But we all have a choice. God calls everyone.

We are creatures of dirt, but made with a rational spirit in the divine image. To lose free will makes us like animals.

So the smart/wise choose God. Lol ok.

Free will is the biggest lie you people believe. Man is not a free moral agent able to merely choose God. Ephesians 2 - you were dead in your tresspasses (but God). Romans - you were enemies of God. Roman's again - you were sons of disobedience (apeithea - unpersuadable disobedience). You CANNOT be persuaded.

Man's state is not neutral prior to the Gospel. Yet that is what free will (heresy) argues. And again, in order to make that work man becomes the author of his fate.

Now the bible teaches that God is the author and perfector of our faith. The word for author is auktor which is where the word from which authority comes. God alone is the creator of your faith, because he alone has the authority to make you faithful or faithless. (Does the potter not have power over the clay to make one vessel for honor and another for dishonor?)

I've explained John 6 before. But it seems I have to again. Jesus has just fed the 5000, he has just spent days with the multitudes, men seeing jesus face to face, being ministered and seeing miracles. Jesus says something great "no one can come to the father except through me" (none of us reject that right?). Then he lays down "you must eat of my flesh" people start questioning jesus, then he says if you have a hard time with that then let me say this "none can come to me unless the father enables him." At that point the multitudes abandon jesus.

Then jesus asks the 12 why they stayed and he tells them they stayed because they were called (God enabling them).

Not only do you have Jesus explaining soteriology, but you also have the clear juxtaposition between those that chose to follow and those that were called to follow.
titan
S
Texaggie7nine said:

The way they play it is, you will live as a Christian if you are of his elect. You have no control over the matter, what you end up doing or thinking you decide was decided long before you existed in this world. If you are his elect you can't decide "what does it matter what I do if it's already decided?" Because you cannot resist his will to do as he intended.
Yes, that is one of the forms have heard. But it goes to the point -- that tends to affirm the angle that a great deal of the energy and even dislocation and unrest governments have spent legislating and dwelling on some of the particulars is to no real end, and might have offered ways to reach some compromises sooner before everything got so upside down and really with no boundaries at all. There are a few issues where just saying it is `secularly permissible' would have given a lot more room to maneuver. And yet often, the presentation can be very hardline.Like the age of the Earth -- just boot that---what are the stakes? Why add that static?
titan
S

Quote:

I've explained John 6 before. But it seems I have to again. Jesus has just fed the 5000, he has just spend days with the multitudes, men seeing jesus face to face, being ministered and seeing miracles. Jesus says something great "no one can come to the father except through me" (none of us reject that right?). Then he lays down "you must eat of my flesh" people start questioning jesus, then he says if you have a hard time with that then let me say this "none can come to me unless the father enables him." At that point the multitudes abandon jesus.
And yet, no one things the Apostles set upon Jesus and started carving him up at the Last Supper. The statement is not meant to mock -- but to illustrate: WHAT changed between then and John 6? It was no longer `literal' --- so the phrasing has apparently a different meaning--- arguably no less offensive or palatable to some of the crowd, but clearly not what 21st C English thinks "eating" is. That said, agree that you see the differentiation there---and it is one of those impressive arguments mentioned before.
dermdoc
AG
Pro Sandy said:

dermdoc said:

Frok said:

Quote:

was inclusive to all "who called upon the name of the Lord will be saved" Romans 10:13.

I might have read his view incorrectly but I think what the Lewis quote said was those who don't call on the name of the Lord could be saved if they followed their religion devoutly.
And of course, if you are a Calvinist, you do not even need to call upon the name of the Lord if you are of the "elect". And on the other side, if you are not of the "elect", calling on the name of the Lord does zero good.
That's not the Calvinist belief. The belief is we cannot call upon the Lord without being elect, for God must cause us to be born again in order to be born of the Spirit and even be able to have faith. And if we are born of the Spirit, God's call is effectual and we will respond. On the other hand, when we are dead in our sins, we are unable to call upon the Lord until awaken by Him.
So if you are not of the "elect", then you will not call on the Lord? Or can you but it is just not effective?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
titan
S

Quote:

So if you are not of the "elect", then you will not call on the Lord? Or can you but it is just not effective?
If understand right, definitely the first, not the latter. The human nature will never choose to call on the Lord wiithout being enabled. By the theology, if somehow one does, I believe it certainly says that God will answer, and it will be effective. So it is the first that can't happen. I think the second (to be ineffective) is not possible, even hypothetically, in that worldview.
Pro Sandy
AG
dermdoc said:

Pro Sandy said:

dermdoc said:

Frok said:

Quote:

You cannot, because you are completely dead in your sins.

From the Westminister Confession "Man, by his fall into a state of sin, hath wholly lost all ability of will to any spiritual good accompanying salvation: so as, a natural man, being altogether averse from that good, and dead in sin, is not able, by his own strength, to convert himself, or to prepare himself thereunto."
Texaggie7nine
You kind of lost me, as I was replying to Dermdoc. Which governments are you talking about and what legislation?
7nine
titan
S
Texaggie7nine said:

You kind of lost me, as I was replying to Dermdoc. Which governments are you talking about and what legislation?
Any. I am saying that there are even today alot of issues that are fought over ---- by the Calvinist view, if what is done does not matter --- why tie up all that energy? Was simply saying it was another reason it doesn't seem to jibe with how the eartly church saw its role.
titan
S

Geneva itself was one of the strictest. Why? If it is pre-determined, why be so draconian?
dermdoc
AG
Thanks for the answer.

I am still confused about the Calvinist thoughts on the narrow gate. If salvation is all God's doing and only(and all)the elect will achieve this, why the emphasis as we have no control unless I am missing something.
Texaggie7nine
titan said:

Texaggie7nine said:

Any. I am saying that there are even today alot of issues that are fought over ---- by the Calvinist view, if what is done does not matter --- why tie up all that energy? Was simply saying it was another reason it doesn't seem to jibe with how the eartly church saw its role.
Well I think what makes the Calvinist view so convenient is that it isn't supposed to changed how anyone acts, it just describes everything as "perfectly as God willed it". So if you pushed for your government to make restrictions or ways to control people, well God willed that.
7nine
The Debt
titan said:

Quote:

I've explained John 6 before. But it seems I have to again. Jesus has just fed the 5000, he has just spend days with the multitudes, men seeing jesus face to face, being ministered and seeing miracles. Jesus says something great "no one can come to the father except through me" (none of us reject that right?). Then he lays down "you must eat of my flesh" people start questioning jesus, then he says if you have a hard time with that then let me say this "none can come to me unless the father enables him." At that point the multitudes abandon jesus.
And yet, no one things the Apostles set upon Jesus and started carving him up at the Last Supper. The statement is not meant to mock -- but to illustrate: WHAT changed between then and John 6? It was no longer `literal' --- so the phrasing has apparently a different meaning--- arguably no less offensive or palatable to some of the crowd, but clearly not what 21st C English thinks "eating" is. That said, agree that you see the differentiation there---and it is one of those impressive arguments mentioned before.

That's hilarious. You just ignored the meat of the passage because you dont like the potatoes.
dermdoc
AG
Why would they have come to hear Jesus if they were completely depraved?
titan
S
The Debt said:

titan said:

Quote:

That's hilarious. You just ignored the meat of the passage because you dont like the potatoes.
No I didn't. I noted what you said was the meat about being enabled -- ---I was making an aside point. Which could have bearing on the degree of what they were expected to understand.
Zobel
AG
No one said smart/wise but you.

Free will is not a lie, and to call it a heresy makes heretical literally the entire Church except for Calvinists. That means no one had correct theology until him. This is the most arrogant presentation I've seen of Calvinism to date.

Ephesians 2 in no way offers a position against free will. God made us alive while we were yet dead. This has nothing to do with free will.

Romans 5, enemies of God, is not about free will either. Jesus Christ died for us while we were His enemies, yes. This has nothing to do with an individual's free choice to accept the Grace universally offered.

Sons of disobedience is in Colossians 3 and Ephesians 2 and 5, not Romans. But both says because of sin the wrath of God is coming on the sons of disobedience. Ephesians 2 talks about the devil being at work (actively) in the sons of disobedience. Your Greek definition for apeitheia is wrong. It means willful disobedience, not persuaded.

Quote:

543 apeitheia(from 1 /A "not" and 3982 /peitho, "persuaded") properly, someone not persuaded, referring to their willful unbelief, i.e. the refusal to be convinced by God's voice. This is the core-meaning of the entire word-family: 543 (apeitheia), 544 (apeitheo), 545 (apeithes). All these cognates focus on man's decision to reject God's offers of faith, i.e. refusal to be persuaded in their heart concerning obeying His will (Word).

Cognate: 545 apeithes (an adjective) literally, unwilling to be persuaded (by God) which shows itself in outward disobedience (outward spiritual rebellion); disobedient because unpersuaded.

545 /apeithes ("unpersuaded") begins with the decision to reject what God prefers, with His offer to persuade about His preferred-will (cf. 2307 /thelema). See 543 (apeitheia).
Your Greek for author is wrong too. "Author" in Hebrews is archegos. It means founder, literally first leader. (cf Acts 3:15 the Prince of Life).

Authority does not come from archegos. It comes from Latin auctor. So no, Christ Jesus is the founder and first leader of our faith, if we're sticking with what the scriptures say.

The potter and clay analogy, too, is incorrect. This is St Paul drawing from Jeremiah 18. In Jeremiah 18, the outcome is determined by the clay. Jeremiah 18 says: "Look, as the clay is in the potter's hand, so are you in My hand, O house of Israel! The instant I speak concerning a nation and concerning a kingdom, to pluck up, to pull down, and to destroy it, if that nation against whom I have spoken turns from its evil, I will relent of the disaster that I thought to bring upon it. And the instant I speak concerning a nation and concerning a kingdom, to build and to plant it, if it does evil in My sight so that it does not obey My voice, then I will relent concerning the good with which I said I would benefit it." The outcome depends on the clay's response.

Phew, man, you're batting 0-fer on this. To stick with your analogy in John 6 requires us to conflate the persons of the Father and Jesus. He says no one can be called except by the Father, and to the Twelve, I chose you. The Father and Jesus are two different people.

Anyway, the reason they've stayed is witnessed by St Peter: "We have believed and have known that You are the Holy One of God."

Zobel
AG
Also re: free will being a heresy.

Here's a link of a very brief patristic review on free will I did. A confession of free will is an authentic rule of the Christian faith.

https://texags.com/forums/15/topics/2932570
The Debt
dermdoc said:

Lots of people want healing and dont submit to lordship.

Lots of Jews wanted a to defeat the Romans believing Jesus to be the one to restore Israel.

Is it so hard to believe people follow movements for selfish reasons? Or to be in with the trend?
dermdoc
AG
The Debt said:

dermdoc said:

Lots of people want healing and dont submit to lordship.

Lots of Jews wanted a to defeat the Romans believing Jesus to be the one to restore Israel.

Is it so hard to believe people follow movements for selfish reasons? Or to be in with the trend?
I actually agree but would not those folks then be displaying free will?

And I still do not understand the Calvinist view of the narrow gate. Why is it important if everything is predetermined?

And thanks for your replies.
titan
S
Texaggie7nine said:

titan said:

Texaggie7nine said:

Well I think what makes the Calvinist view so convenient is that it isn't supposed to changed how anyone acts, it just describes everything as "perfectly as God willed it". So if you pushed for your government to make restrictions or ways to control people, well God willed that.
Turns out can give you a better example, breaking today. (If true--- two-day rule should apply, especially with his translations).

https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/2952091

This is a good example of "if it didn't matter" why all the drama about it --- - unions could have been green-lighted a long time ago, and preserved the basic standing and understanding of marriage as union of opposites, etc. What damages default benchmarks has always concerned more than various slack given to niches as niches, if that makes sense. Under the theology being talked about--- if action's really don't matter, than focus could go on those that actually do harm to a society, rather than just seem a vice.
Texaggie7nine
Well, 2 issues with that one.

1. I'm pretty sure Catholics to not subscribe to the Calvinist view. Also I would say that Calvinists, as a group, don't really hold that much political power that I'm aware of.

2. All I see is that it says that the Pope said "being gay" isn't wrong. But I'm sure he can still backdoor (pun not intended) the old saying of "love the sinner, hate the sin", meaning, simply having desires for the same sex isn't a sin, but acting on it would be.
7nine
The Debt
While I would like to respond point by point, I dont really have the time for it.

But I will take responsibility for not explaining the concept of free will well enough for yall. kjag says those verses dont mention free and hes absolutely correct: they dont. Because the Bible doesnt support such a concept.

Free will means man is free to choose any way he pleases/rationalizes/imagines. The concept in philosophy is a free moral agent. This concept means a man could choose to do whatever as long as he's will determines to do so.

The Bible doesnt support that EVER. In fact we are slaves to sin, dead (as all those verses explain.) Our inclination is to "choose" evil. Romans 3:10 "None is righteous, no, not one, no one understands, no one seeks God," Our inclination is not "neutral", we are not free in action nor in choices.

Freedom only comes to the regenerate Christian. To believe that the unregenerate man is able to merely choose God violates Romans 3 and creates the paradigm that the wise sinner chooses God, while all those that "reject" God are either less wise than Christians, or more depraved (more selfish).

The truth is we are all dead without Christ, but He calls us out, not because we are righteous but because of pleasure of His glory.
Zobel
Zobel
AG
So is a regenerated Christian a free moral agent?
The Debt
k2aggie07 said:

So is a regenerated Christian a free moral agent?

Therein lies the problem. The sanctification process and sin.

Here is Romans 7, an apostle speaking:
Quote:

I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.16 And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. 17 As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. 18 For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. 19 For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to dothis I keep on doing. 20 Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.

That doesnt sound like a "free moral agent". But how does paul title himself? A slave to christ jesus, slaves have no true independent will.

One interesting tidbit from jesus: the lord's prayer. "Lead us not into temptation, deliver us from evil" this is a petition to God. It doesnt say "give me the power to resist temptation, keep me from choosing evil." No. It puts the entire process on God, not the "agency" of man.
Zobel
AG
You didn't answer the question. It seems like a pretty basic yes or no to me.
Bryanisbest
AG
dermdoc said:

Frok said:

Those don't count. Literally everyone is a heretic.

I used to follow a blogger who was a hyper-fundamentalist. For some reason I thought it would be fun to engage him. Bad idea. As ridiculous as his views were he would argue them well and just piss me off.

I always ask those folks why the Early Church were not "fundamentalists". Or at least how it is insisted upon today.
FTACo88-FDT24dad
AG
So if I am understanding the Calvinist view on free will correctly, Jesus, as the second person of the most Holy Trinity, pre-determined the eternal fate of every one of his human creatures and still felt the need to go through with the Incarnation and subject himself willingly to the unimaginable torture amd suffering of the Passion and Crucifixion, which makes him a masochist....

Said another way, the Passion of the Christ only makes sense if free will is real and nothing like Calvin's view of depravity and grace.

The Debt
k2aggie07 said:

You didn't answer the question. It seems like a pretty basic yes or no to me.

Ok. "No."
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.