Still Bitter About My Dog Dying While Being Watched By Neighbors

2,605 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by PacifistAg
3rd and 2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
In August I received a phone call from the emergency vet that my dog had died. The neighbor had lost her job and we were letting her watch our dogs while we traveled for an extended weekend. We did this so she'd have a little income.

I receive the call at 3pm, the day I was supposed to head back, from the emegency vet in Houston that our dog had died but our neighbor didn't contact me until 10pm that night to let me know what happened.

My wife and I never got a straight answer about what exactly happened. When the neighbor did give us the story, always piecemeal, the details were different each time. We took lil' Sarge to A&M to have a necropsy. They told us he had died from pneumonia.

Today I was going through my phone and found some old videos and pics of Sarge. A sudden rage came over me. I feel like I'd like to blow her dogs away or poison them, but I know they're innocent animals. I just can't get over this bitterness toward our neighbor hat wells up inside me from time to time.

The wife and I are having a kid in May, and I wonder if I'll be able to trust anyone to take care of him. I hope my neighbor hasn't made me too untrustworthy and cynical. Am I wrong to feel this anger, bitterness and cynicism almost a year later?
powerbelly
AG

Quote:

Am I wrong to feel this anger, bitterness and cynicism almost a year later?
Yes, it is just a dog. She didn't intentionally kill it.

You should probably get help if you are this angry after this many months.
Solo Tetherball Champ
powerbelly said:

Quote:

Am I wrong to feel this anger, bitterness and cynicism almost a year later?
Yes, it is just a dog. She didn't intentionally kill it.

You should probably get help if you are this angry after this many months.

Agreed. People get waaaaaay too attached to their pets.
PacifistAg
AG
Yes, it's wrong that you're still harboring such anger and bitterness, especially to the point of wanting to kill your neighbor's dogs in revenge. They didn't kill your dog. It died of pneumonia. The story/details your neighbor have given you are probably conflicting or scattered because they most likely have no knowledge as to what actually happened. They are probably not vets, so all they know is that your dog is dead and they're scrambling for reasons.

But, you have the necropsy that told you what happened. They don't appear to have done anything wrong, so it's best to move on. There is nothing to be forgiven.

And as for future kids, you'll probably be able to tell if they have pneumonia so I doubt you'd leave them with someone while they were sick.
“Conquer men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of justice to shame by your compassion."
--St Isaac the Syrian
Star Wars Memes Only
I'm going to disagree with everyone else and say what you are feeling is expected, and maybe even justified. You lost a family member, and the person who was responsible for their care is being standoffish. I would be pissed too.
Post removed:
by user
AggieFrankTX
AstroAg17 said:

It sounds like it's at least partially your neighbors fault due to negligence, and she handled the communications aspect poorly, but your response to it is way too extreme. That would be an extreme but probably understandable initial reaction, but to still feel that way months later is crazy.
This is just crazy. A dog does not contract pneumonia, sicken and die on a weekend. The dog was already sick before the neighbor was ever involved. She was not asked to care for a sick animal. She was asked to feed it a few times per day.

Yes, she could have communicated better/sooner, but might she just have been waiting in order to avoid ruining the weekend?
Post removed:
by user
powerbelly
AG
AstroAg17 said:

There were likely symptoms that should have drawn concern before it reached that point. Failing to notice those symptoms or understand their potential significance is a form of negligence in my eyes. You don't agree?

Not without knowing more. Dogs can get sick and die very quickly.
Post removed:
by user
Solo Tetherball Champ
AstroAg17 said:

There were likely symptoms that should have drawn concern before it reached that point. Failing to notice those symptoms or understand their potential significance is a form of negligence in my eyes. You don't agree?

While I can certainly fault them for how they handled the communication, I honestly don't see much negligence here. If you're not familiar with the dog, how would you know? You may see "sick" dog behavior and assume that what you're seeing is "sad" dog behavior from a pet that misses its owner.

For example, my parents dog has drastically different behavior when my mother isn't around. Rather than be a normal, happy-go-lucky dog he simply mopes around all day and barely eats. If my neighbors were to watch him, they'd probably assume that he was sad my mom is gone rather than sick, particularly because they would have been forewarned of this sort of behavior.

Quote:

I don't really know anything about canine pneumonia but if it's anything like human pneumonia then there were probably symptoms before the OP left for the weekend. So he may be at least partially to blame as well.
Agreed. Though he probably won't like to hear it.

swimmerbabe11
My pup died after staying at my ex boyfriends house and getting into rat poison that he swore the lake house didn't have. It was a mistake plain, meant no harm. It took me a really long time to get over that. He felt awful, I felt awful, all was awful.

Anger is a normal part of grieving. Don't concentrate on it. They probably feel terrible. I'm sure you have your pup a wonderful and happy life. Concentrate on forgiveness and giving the next pup an even happier life.
Post removed:
by user
TheFirebird
AG
You mentioned that this anger came up after seeing pictures of your dog. You don't say that this is something you obsessively dwell on. Regardless of anything else, you had a strong attachment to your dog and are still grieving and angry that he died. You also probably are angry at yourself because you weren't around when it happened. You had a brief revenge fantasy that you didn't act on, directed at a target available to you-- rational or not. That's not evil or a failure, it's "being human." I think you're OK, but you can do something to help move on.

Have you considered asking your neighbor in a different way. Something like:

"Losing Lil' Sarge was extremely painful, and it still bothers me that I wasn't there when it happened. I'm sure you were also extremely upset that it happened while you were helping care for him. I know rationally that you could not have done anything to stop it. It would really help me put this behind us if you could tell me a little bit more about what you can remember so I can stop blaming myself for not being there."
Star Wars Memes Only
TheFirebird said:

You mentioned that this anger came up after seeing pictures of your dog. You don't say that this is something you obsessively dwell on. Regardless of anything else, you had a strong attachment to your dog and are still grieving and angry that he died. You also probably are angry at yourself because you weren't around when it happened. You had a brief revenge fantasy that you didn't act on, directed at a target available to you-- rational or not. That's not evil or a failure, it's "being human." I think you're OK, but you can do something to help move on.

"Losing Lil' Sarge was extremely painful, and it still bothers me that I wasn't there when it happened. I'm sure you were also extremely upset that it happened while you were helping care for him. I know rationally that you could not have done anything to stop it. It would really help me put this behind us if you could tell me a little bit more about what you can remember so I can stop blaming myself for not being there."

Very well said.
PA24
AG
Let it go.

PacifistAg
AG
Quote:

I think this is good, but it really depends on if the neighbor is aware of what actually killed the dog. If they have no idea that the dog had pneumonia, then their answer will still probably appear scattered, especially a year later.
“Conquer men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of justice to shame by your compassion."
--St Isaac the Syrian
BusterAg
AG
Dogs can't talk.

But they do communicate with gestures, looks, etc.

If you were there, you might have noticed something wrong, because you know what is normal. To expect a stranger to know your dog enough to know that something was wrong seems a bit unfair.
tamc91
AG
How old was your dog (or did I miss that detail?).

I've heard of several cases where a sick dog dies when their owner is gone. My in law's collie died when my wife was dog sitting.

Sorry to hear about your dog but it is possible she had very little to do with it, and may have been so stressed she didn't communicate well. Some people don't handle those situations well.
Athanasius
AG
I am truly sorry for the loss of your pet.

As for your feelings, I would say some old wisdom might help:

Resentment is like a poison we carry around inside us with the hope that when we get the chance we can deposit it where it will harm another who has injured us.
BusterAg
AG
Weird dp
Doc Daneeka
I would be super mad.
HDeathstar
This is why we do not pet sit for anyone. People are too attached. Not worth the risk. Pets can die from stress when owners are away. Make the owners sign a waiver.

Hope you get over the small stuff in life.
PacifistAg
AG
Doc Daneeka said:

I would be super mad.
Why? It was predestined.
--St Isaac the Syrian
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.