Good Read- 7 Men by Eric Metaxas

1,570 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by PJD Ag 10
Frok
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
RetiredAg said:

Quote:

Maybe if I was a liberal arts major I would feel differently.

Huh?

I did a google search on Metaxes, never realized he was a controversial figure. What I did realize is left-leaning people dislike him, right-leaning people like him. The author of your article was a liberal arts type guy. I'm more of a right-leaning type guy. Thus the comment.

There was more to it but I edited it out because I sounded like a jerk.
PacifistAg
AG
Frok said:

RetiredAg said:

Quote:

Huh?

I did a google search on Metaxes, never realized he was a controversial figure. What I did realize is left-leaning people dislike him, right-leaning people like him. The author of your article was a liberal arts type guy. I'm more of a right-leaning type guy. Thus the comment.

Ah okay. The criticisms I've read and those brought up in the article seem valid. I didn't notice anything that would indicate some political bias involved, but I wouldn't be surprised. The critics are just as susceptible of that as is Metaxas. The specific issues they raised, however, seem valid on the surface.
Frok
AG
I read some of the criticisms and they said that he tried to fit him into an American evangelical. That isn't the impression I got at all. What I got is that he was a bit of an oddity. He didn't fit the conservative or liberal model. He was a complicated man. On one hand he embraced a pacifist type theology but then joined the scheme to assassinate Hitler.

Now I did think at certain times he tried to paint Dietrich into the "right" camp by putting him on the correct side of the race issue as well as the Jewish issue. That happens all the time in history books as the author like to emphasize the positive aspects of the subject. In reality we toe both lines more than we think.
swimmerbabe11
Frok said:

RetiredAg said:

Quote:

Huh?

liberal arts is not a political scale.

If you said right brained vs left brained, that would maybe make sense
PJD Ag 10
AG
Lol, if you guys are critical of his book on bonhoeffer, wait until his book on Luther comes out.

Eric is a great man, and is not pretending to be a historian. He is an author interested in telling stories, and through his years of research he tells great stories about the lives of impactful people.

Like so many believers, he is using his gifts to reach people.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.