Let's talk about Chess baby

36,899 Views | 294 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Agristotle
Star Wars Memes Only
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Well, I have no idea why my post didn't show up. Anyway, it was a link to a tweet indicating Carlsen may be done with WC matches, unless Firouzja wins the next candidates:

Star Wars Memes Only
Giri's response is amusing:

Rongagin71
AG
Carlsen has the highest rating of all time, but ratings of top players have edged upward ever since Steinitz was 150 pts better than second place (especially around 2000 when the effects of internet kicked in for chess study).

Star Wars Memes Only
Carlsen doesn't crack this guy's top 10? I find that unfathomable. He has dominated every facet of the game for the last decade. He's got to be the strongest human chess player of all time given the advance in theory and engines.

Also sad that Anand doesn't get much love in these types of lists. Yes, he's had to contend with Kasparov and Magnus, but he's been around the top for 30+ years, spending most of those between #1 and 3.
Rongagin71
AG
Yeah, I thought it was remarkable that this list has Edward Lasker listed above Carlson, Anand & Morphy.
But the photography is great.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Chess has to be the worst "sport" to compare eras. So much of the game is based on accumulated knowledge
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Agristotle
AG
Nakamura said yesterday he is guessing that Magnus is just let down by all the hard work and the resulting anti-climatic nature of the Nepo trouncing.

Personally, I think Magnus might be playing mind games, which he certainly does. Maybe he really doesn't want to play Firouzja, because by saying he's the only worthy opponent left, he certainly put a bullseye on his back for the Candidates.
Rongagin71
AG
Rey Enigma vs Nakamura, good fun.

Rongagin71
AG
Let's give a bump to chess to mark International Chess Day.

https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2022/07/20/International-Chess-Day-UNESCO-FIDE/6411658265359/
Rongagin71
AG
Go to 1:15 mark to see how strangely Shankland lost a drawn game in the Olympiad.

Agristotle
AG
U.S, gagging this Olympiad. Fabi hemorrhaging points.
Star Wars Memes Only
Rongagin71 said:

Go to 1:15 mark to see how strangely Shankland lost a drawn game in the Olympiad.

powerbelly
AG
You have to feel bad for Sam. I wonder how much of that is driven by the increase in online play for some of these guys.
Agristotle
AG
Dream Team failed to medal.
Chess is hard.
Rongagin71
AG
130 move forced mate...from Chess Vibes...
only problem with it is the guys fingers got tired of moving the same piece.

Cloud
Welp, the Hans cheating drama, how we feelin'?
powerbelly
AG
Cloud said:

Welp, the Hans cheating drama, how we feelin'?

Crazy chess drama. His past appears to not be helping here.
Rongagin71
AG
Go to the 25:00 mark to see one big reason why Magnus has suspicions.

powerbelly
AG
The only problem I have is that it seems very suspicious but they don't have the smoking gun. Without that you have to give the player the benefit of the doubt that he didn't cheat IMO
powerbelly
AG

Interesting
Agristotle
AG
thanks for that insert. Agadamator is great.
Sapper Redux
So I just heard about the vibrations titillating the annals of the chess world. I prostate myself before those of you with more knowledge of the depths of this scandal and hope we can get to the bottom of *****

Sphincter.
BusterAg
AG
I believe Magnus when he says he detects algorithm play.

If there was no cheating, then Hans just lucked into a win by finding himself in the position that he was in.

I would bet that there is no one on earth that has played more matches against algorithms than Magnus, and probably by a pretty wide margin.
powerbelly
AG
I also think he has seen the chess.com evidence of Hans cheating more than he has claimed.
BusterAg
AG
powerbelly said:

I also think he has seen the chess.com evidence of Hans cheating more than he has claimed.
This may be true. Chess.com has the best dataset to capture cheaters.

To gain an edge, you don't need to follow an algorithm for every move. You really only need to identify one set of unexpected moves in the game that will most likely lead to a favorable position, where you give up position purposely at first, and then gain the upper hand 10 to 20 moves later.

I also believe chess.com. I think that Magnus and Chess.com deserve the benefit of the doubt until and unless Hans addresses the chess.com data.
Agristotle
AG
I think Hans is cheating too.

I'm interested in the pressure politics of this. If Magnus and Hikaru tell organizers they won't play in their tournament if Hans is invited, I think he gets frozen out.

BTW, rumors out there that Magnus and Hikaru are going to play some kind of match. That would greatly eclipse the Nepo/Ding world championship, IMO, and would be great fun.
BusterAg
AG
Agristotle said:

I think Hans is cheating too.

I'm interested in the pressure politics of this. If Magnus and Hikaru tell organizers they won't play in their tournament if Hans is invited, I think he gets frozen out.

BTW, rumors out there that Magnus and Hikaru are going to play some kind of match. That would greatly eclipse the Nepo/Ding world championship, IMO, and would be great fun.
They have played a number of times before.

Magnus almost always wins the long-form games, but Hikaru is better at blitz and bullet.

What would be interesting is if they played a series of games that consisted of one long form game and one blitz game.

After the second round, the first person that goes up by two wins the match. See who can beat the other at their own game first.

You would have to alternate so that the person that goes first doesn't have a huge advantage

1 - long game
2 - Blitz
3 - Blitz
4 - long
5 - long
6 - Blitz
7 - Blitz
and so on.

The first person to go up by 2 games (minimum of 4 games) wins. Maybe have 10 games max, when you declare a tie.
ramblin_ag02
AG
https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2022/09/carlsen-niemann-chess-cheating-poker/671472/

Interesting article inspired by the recent madness that makes some interesting points. We all know computers are so far above humans when it comes to chess that the highest rated human couldn't beat the top computer in a hundred tries. So what exactly is the point of human v. human chess competition? Humans learn from computers, practice against computers, and study computers. They try to find obscure, counter-intuitive computer strategies that the other player hasn't seen and exploiting their ignorance. So chess is less a game of logic and intuition, and even more a game of studying rare and unusual lines that give a major advantage if the other person doesn't know them. Now this has always been a part of chess, but I think younger players are spending less time studying Kasparov, Fischer and Capablanca and more time studying engine v engine games.

I think that's what happened with the recent "cheating" scandal. Magnus is clearly better than Neimann. But all it takes is Neimann to luck into some obscure line against Stockfish that then happens to come up in a match. At that point Magnus being better doesn't matter anymore. It's just a matter of knowledge or ignorance. I think the kid just got lucky with his preparation.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BusterAg
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2022/09/carlsen-niemann-chess-cheating-poker/671472/

Interesting article inspired by the recent madness that makes some interesting points. We all know computers are so far above humans when it comes to chess that the highest rated human couldn't beat the top computer in a hundred tries. So what exactly is the point of human v. human chess competition? Humans learn from computers, practice against computers, and study computers. They try to find obscure, counter-intuitive computer strategies that the other player hasn't seen and exploiting their ignorance. So chess is less a game of logic and intuition, and even more a game of studying rare and unusual lines that give a major advantage if the other person doesn't know them. Now this has always been a part of chess, but I think younger players are spending less time studying Kasparov, Fischer and Capablanca and more time studying engine v engine games.

I think that's what happened with the recent "cheating" scandal. Magnus is clearly better than Neimann. But all it takes is Neimann to luck into some obscure line against Stockfish that then happens to come up in a match. At that point Magnus being better doesn't matter anymore. It's just a matter of knowledge or ignorance. I think the kid just got lucky with his preparation.
If chess.com says they have the goods, I believe them. They apparently had one of the guys that worked on these chess engines make an AI that "learned" to identify AI players versus human players.

Watch the video above. Hans entered into a line of play 29 moves in, that required another 19 moves to pay off, losing position and material along the way. You can't prep for a position that occurs 29 moves into a match. The variation is just too much.

Chess.com is a neutral 3rd party, and is the foremost sleuth at detecting cheaters. They have a HUGE dataset to work from.

Finally, Hans has refused to address the data that chess.com released. Until he breaks his silence on that, I give the benefit of the doubt to chess.com, not Hans.
Agristotle
AG
Eric Hansen said they "quietly" had to dump Hans from their Friday night tournaments because it was obvious to many that he was cheating.
Micah97
AG
About third through this video breaking down a statistical analysis of Hans Niemann games and accuracy of other games. Very interesting.

Micah97
AG
According to this analysis, Hans is currently playing better than Bobby Fischer did during his famous 20 game winning streak. A very sudden increase.
Faustus
Possibly another NZT-48 outbreak.

Agristotle
AG
Chess.com dropped their Hans report. Pretty clear he is a habitual cheater but I wonder if we'll ever learn how he cheated OTB?
Micah97
AG

Chess.com report on Hans is pretty damning.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.