Let's talk about Chess baby

36,770 Views | 294 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by Agristotle
powerbelly
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Agristotle said:

Chess.com dropped their Hans report. Pretty clear he is a habitual cheater but I wonder if we'll ever learn how he cheated OTB?
I think the only way he will learn is if he comes clean on everything in an attempt to avoid a lengthy ban.
Ornithopter
AG
Hans is now suing Magnus and others for $100MM
powerbelly
AG
DubFalls said:

Hans is now suing Magnus and others for $100MM
Good luck with that.
File5
AG
I watched this video and don't see how it's damning...maybe I missed part of it? Seems like he has a case based on this. They say they don't have any evidence of him cheating at the Sinquefield Cup and he does not have more "perfect" games than other people either.
Agristotle
AG
Hans has been damaged, but I think it is by his own actions.

I watch Nakamura a lot, never seen anything that I thought Hans could credibly sue him over. Having said that, he and Magnus seem awfully chummy these days, not hard to imagine he has a financial incentive to back Magnus.
powerbelly
AG
I think Hans has a big hill to climb considering he admitted cheating already
Faustus
Fairly long article that dives into the scandal.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/04/business/chess-cheating-scandal-magnus-carlsen-hans-niemann.html?searchResultPosition=1

Quote:

. . .
The site has become the virtual hangout, spectator viewing stands and venue of choice for players at every level. So the scarlet "C" on Mr. Niemann burned even brighter after Chess.com released a 72-page report in early October concluding that he had cheated in more than 100 games on its platform. Then it went further. Mr. Niemann's rise in the ranks of over the board chess, as the in-person version of the game is known, was "uncharacteristic," the report stated, implying that he'd cheated at live tournaments.

In sum, the game's most gifted player, never known as a sore loser, had called out a confessed cheater. And the game's most powerful and popular platform then said, in effect, "We stand with Magnus."
An uproar ensued. Beneath it, facts that complicated the narrative were easy to miss. A week and a half before Mr. Carlsen lost in St. Louis, Chess.com made public an $82 million offer for his online chess training company, Play Magnus, a takeover that will essentially turn him into Chess.com's most valuable asset. And as more grandmasters studied the epochal game, a consensus formed. Mr. Niemann appeared to simply outplay Mr. Carlsen, with moves that appeared perfectly human.

Someone was wronged in St. Louis on Sept. 4. But who?
. . .
The accusations won Hans some female fans.

powerbelly
AG
I still don't understand Hans' accent.
Rongagin71
AG
Well, my last post was on 9/9/22 when I predicted, in a happy little poem, that the Aggies would motorboat poor Appalachian State.,,yeah, that sucked.
But I got my mojo back today when I beat a guy (on Dr Chess - play there a lot because I like their start with a 60seconds and get 20second increments) who was rated 2399.
Yup, he only needed to beat little ol' me to hit 2400, but it didn't happen.
I had lost a stupid blunder filled game just before and had gone to the restroom and brushed my teeth for few minutes...I've noticed this action, particularly if it includes gum massage, definitely improves my fast chess play.
Let me recommend brushing before games as an experiment to my Aggie friends - and post if you agree/or not that it is a worthwhile chess prep.
Rongagin71
AG
Well, the guy who was 2399 last time I upset him was 2411 this time.
He probably thinks I used a computer, but I just brushed my teeth.

Wildwilly71 (2087) - Habib Shoukry (2411)
1. e4 c5
2. c4 Nc6
3. Nc3 d6
4. g3 g6
5. Bg2 Bg7
6. KNe2 Bg4
7. f3 Bd7
8. d3 Nf6
9. O-O O-O
We've transposed to Botvinnick's Variation of the English
10. h3 Qc8
11. Kh2 a3
12. f4 Nh5
13. g4 Bxg4?
Same way he lost the last game, bad sacrifice...
but I've watched his play vs others and this is typical,
he is very good a surprising and beating the excitable,
14. hxB Qxg4
15. Rf3 Nd4
16. Nxd4 Bxd4
17. Be3 Bf6
18. Nd5 Rb8
19. Rh3 Qe6
20. Bf3 Ng7
21. Bg4 Nf5
22. e4xN Resigned

I should mention that my rating is usually around 2150 on Dr Chess, but had recently lost 30 games in a row in order to sandbag my rating to under 2000...not to win a class prize, just wanted some easy games.
AgLiving06
We have a new classical chess champion.

I won't spoil it if someone is behind.
Rongagin71
AG
AgLiving06 said:

We have a new classical chess champion.

I won't spoil it if someone is behind.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more-sports/chinas-ding-liren-wins-dramatic-world-chess-championship/ar-AA1axXkO
Agristotle
AG
What an exciting match! Poor Nepo; is he now the best player ever not to be world champion?
Rongagin71
AG
A friend sent me an old newspaper photo of me and Domingo getting ready to direct the 1973 Texas Open at the Sheraton Marina in Corpus Christi. I was 25 at that time. Hope its legible.

Agristotle
AG
great pic, cool that you still have it.

Tournaments back then felt so different. Nowadays the computer has gutted the post game analysis in the skittles room and of course, back then we didn't have a hundred kids and their parents.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.