Atheism

18,433 Views | 262 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by tehmackdaddy
schmendeler
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Beer Baron said:

schmendeler said:

You've been scarce lately. Hanging out with the cool kids now?
The main thing that interested me here was all the anti-gay marriage hysteria, which oddly enough almost completely disappeared when the world didn't end on June 28, 2015.

#neverforget #seamastersadness
Beer Baron
AG
Worse than 9/11.
P.C. Principal
well if it makes you feel any better, I vaguely remember a thread started here or in politics by someone saying how his life actually HAS changed due to the SSM ruling. Because his church now is accepting of gay people and he's oppressed because he can't say how he really feels about gay marriage anymore. If I find it i'll bump it.
Aggrad08
AG
I miss seamaster threads. They were like looking into a time capsule.
DirtDiver
Thank you for taking the time to share your stories. After 6 pages there much to comment on however I think it would take away from letting them sink in. I look forward to future discussions with you all.
Tamu_mgm
AG
champagnepapi said:

Any Atheists on the board that care to share why they crossed over?

I haven't been to church in 4 years after years of being a devout Catholic. And frankly I don't miss or feel bad at all. Perhaps I was in the wrong house of God growing up and never fully understood my faith? I'm starting to question it all...

OP I think you may not be fully self-aware in proclaiming you were a "devout" Catholic. By being devout, that implies you were fully in line with the Church's teachings, which come directly from Christ himself, along with being frequently exposed to and instilled in the graces that He has to offer through the sacraments. Had this been true, you would have viewed leaving His Church as hard to imagine, at least that's how I think of it. What led you to all of a sudden stop going to Church?
BusterAg
AG
So, I missed the best thread this board has had in a while. I'm going to dig into the responses and comment on some great posts over the next day or so. Sorry for the delay, but I want to address some things.
BusterAg
AG
As for the OP, I also went through a crisis of faith in my college years. For a time, I could not decide whether I was a Christian or not. There are just too many things in the OT that are far too troubling to take at face value. I spent some time trying to reconcile them with Christ, but had difficulty in doing so.

Because of that, I started to look for historical proof / authenticity of the Bible. Went very deep into the origins of the Jewish people, the historical case for Christ, the secular position on the mythos of David and Solomon, etc. I wanted to find the historical evidence that I needed to convince myself that the Bible was perfect, and therefore Christianity was the truth.

In the end, I found a faith in the reverse order. The ideas and morals taught by Christianity are so self-evident as divine in my opinion, especially considering the time and environment that they were taught in, that the message of Christianity is evidence that the God in the Bible is real. Based on how the Bible describes Jesus, if Jesus was not the Son of God, then he should have been.

The critique that Christianity, not necessarily the Church, but the Christian theology, can not be seen as more truth than any other religion is false in my opinion. Every other religion has some difficulties that make me believe it falls short.

There are some people that believe that there is a God just because nature is so beautiful. Not just the physical aspect of it, but the beauty of rational thought, and existence of love.

If you are a deist, I would encourage you to consider the beauty of Christianity, and the message of grace through faith in Jesus and all that he stood for, as evidence that he is who he said he is.
BusterAg
AG
k2aggie07 said:

Right. What makes me bummed is that the tricky thing about experience is you have to have it. Every agnostic or atheist in this thread has been soured on a posit they've identified as either Christianity or Religion in general. This is, no doubt, based on adverse experience or possibly a poorly structured experiment / belief system (analogous to not controlling a variable or conflating observed phenomena). My personal belief is that my posits are correct, but this is not because I was told they were facts -- I rejected those earlier posits, just like you did. But my posits are correct, for me, because of affirming experience.

It's really difficult to share these affirming experiences. That's a sad difficulty.
This is a beautiful post.

Unfortunately, sharing our affirming experiences will never have the same impact on others as they originally had on us.

But the reverse is true too, no? We are often blinded by how someone could disagree with us based on how impactful our adverse experiences were on our own posits. Describing these actions / arguments is not going to have the same impact.
BusterAg
AG
Quote:

First, I would suggest there is a difference between intellectual belief and faith. Just as there is a difference between knowledge and Knowledge, the proper noun denoting some kind experience with Actual Reality (i.e., God) rather than a posit.
In my opinion, belief differs from faith in that faith is manifested into action. If you believe something, but that belief does not impact your behaviors or priorities, then you have no faith in your belief.

So, while Woody might be right that we don't choose our beliefs, we do choose whether or not to have faith in an idea.

Further, belief is not often binary, only a probability on how true we think something might be.

Many Christians come to that point where their p value for the existence of God gets very small compared to their previous and current p value. What happend to me when I was there was that I chose to act like I did believe in God, because it seemed like the best path and the most logical choice. I was not a fan of the decisions I was making when I didn't have faith, nor a fan of the consequences of those decisions. The reaffirming experiences I had after that choice to live like I did believe was what solidified my belief. Honestly, given those experiences, I don't see how I could believe any other way.
BusterAg
AG
k2aggie07 said:

It's all turtles models, all the way down.

Doesn't matter if they're emotional or physical turtles, measured by how we perceive temperature, light, mathematical data sets or feels. Still turtles.
This is my vote for post of the year. Super funny. Very true.
BusterAg
AG
TexAgs91 said:

k2aggie07 said:

That's a cop out, unless you're not willing to say that anything is real including yourself.

You may have seen articles recently that say that it's far more likely that we live in a simulation than the real universe. So who knows?

I will be a 100% believer in this the first time I experience a clipping error IRL. I think that all the pieces of evidence are there and lined up pretty well.

But, any coder that could design a simulation as complicated as ours without one single clipping bug is surely divine, anyways.
Texaggie7nine
Quote:

The ideas and morals taught by Christianity are so self-evident as divine in my opinion, especially considering the time and environment that they were taught in, that the message of Christianity is evidence that the God in the Bible is real.
I felt very much the same way, and that was why I remained in Christianity for so long.

The book I read "Who Wrote the New Testament" really opened my eyes as to how brilliant the forming of christianity and the bible was. It then made sense that the ideals it held were so world changing, that cultures that followed the tenets of it would be the most successful and best to live in.

That is why I am so glad christianity exists and that so many believe it.

If the overall outcome makes humanity better off, what difference does it make if the foundation is based on made up myth?
7nine
BusterAg
AG
Eliminatus said:

Hopefully the above isn't too jumbled to understand. I have a hard time trying to quantify my beliefs onto paper. But there it is. The misuse of religious power and motivations that I have seen in my life are why I am an atheist/agnostic.

ETA: Another core reason for my stance is the sheer rigidity of most theological frameworks, i.e. there is only one path, one god, one goal, one answer, etc. I have always been a very open thinker and this type of thinking I have always naturally rebelled against.
Unfortunately, people are simply broken. People will use whatever power they have to get what they want, whether consciously or unconsciously. I hate this about people.

But, I do not find that to be an excuse to hate institutions. These institutions do good that would not have been done without the community that the institution provides. Community without institution is simply inefficient chaos.

As for the rigidity of Christianity, I guess I have no comment. I do believe that there is only one Truth, and that it is through Christ. That doesn't mean that I think all non-Christians are going to hell, though.
BusterAg
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

The blinders comment is quite accurate. The most Christians read their bibles, they do so with an unquestioning faith in the truthfulness of the book. Their only question is their understanding of it and what it really means. And when they read things that they feel really speaks to them, they use that as evidence of the book really being God's word.

To truly analyze the bible you would have to approach reading it with the question of, is this really the word of God?
I take exception to this argument. I think that you grossly under-estimate that amount of questioning that most serious Christians go through as part of their lives. You constantly paint Christians with this steroetype, and, in my experience, it just isn't true.
BusterAg
AG
JJMt said:

Many of us former skeptics have done just that and concluded that, yes, it is really the word of God. Back in college I realized that Christianity had two pillars supporting it - the historical reality of Jesus Christ (with all that means, i.e., death, resurrection, son of God, etc.) and the trustworthiness of the scriptures. If either pillar were false, then Christianity would collapse.

After investigating both issues, I came to the conclusion that there is overwhelming evidence for the existence of both pillars. Not proof, since there's no proof of anything except possibly in mathematics. But there is enough evidence for me to feel confident that the faith I've come to hold is extraordinarily reasonable.

But I suspect that you're right - two people can look at the same evidence and reach different conclusions. We are all quite different personalities with different emotions that drive our conclusions, and different methods of filtering, assessing and weighing evidence.
I disagree with this premise. Christianity does not collapse for me if the Bible is not inerrant.

I have come to the conclusion that there is not overwhelming evidence that the scriptures are perfect. I do believe that they are generally trustworthy, as the discovery of the dead sea scrolls was really awesome, and some of the facts in Luke and Acts that were once claimed to be proven as historically inaccurate are now thought to be more likely true than not.

My faith in Christ does not require a belief in the inerrancy of the entirety of the Bible. YMMV, of course.
Texaggie7nine
It is my experience though growing up all my life in Christian churches.Through church and just through people I know I started my questioning by speaking with them. The vast majority of them just got uncomfortable when I brought up the questions and did not want to go further into the discussion more than just suggesting I keep reading the Bible and they would pray for me.

I had people very involved in ministry come to me when they heard I was having questions. They would want to have deep meaningful conversations up until I started really getting to the hell questions, the legitimacy of who actually authored the NT, the direct contradictions in Christian theology. Then they would try to steer it back to an emotional argument and turn to personal stories that they experienced that they thought proved God's influence such as perceived miracles, ect. I swear, one of them told me this long story on how they were having severe leg pain and had been praying about it and the pastor approached them that sunday and told them God had spoken to them and said they need to pray about their leg.

Once they saw that these antidotes weren't going to stop me from asking the toughest questions, they would just wish me well and not talk to me after that, except when they felt they had a new REALLY convincing story about how real Jesus was.

Perhaps non denominational, Presbyterian and baptist aren't the best places to find real intellectual believers but that is where most of these experiences came.
7nine
BusterAg
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

That is why I am so glad christianity exists and that so many believe it.

If the overall outcome makes humanity better off, what difference does it make if the foundation is based on made up myth?
This is such and interesting take. Christianity is something that is better for the ignorant masses, no? Glad it exists, but not convinced it is real.

Would you agree that the positive impact that Christianity has had on humanity is evidence that should be considered? Obviously not proof, but not, in my opinion, something that should be overlooked.
BusterAg
AG

Quote:

Perhaps non denominational, Presbyterian and baptist aren't the best places to find real intellectual believers but that is where most of these experiences came.
Well, I will say that I don't believe that you have to be a real intellectual to be a real believer :P

As for your experience, I think that shutting down those conversations is a bad strategy. I would have pointed you to some interesting reading about these issues, including some of the early, pre-enlightenment writings on these issues, and some scholarly work on Biblical history that wasn't written by people with an agenda to disprove the Bible.

I really do think that you are applying a small sample size to a broader population.

Maybe I am too, though. There might be big congregations of churches where absolutely no one in the congregation struggles with this stuff. I am just unaware of them.

We "intellectual Christians" are out there, and there are a significant number of us.
PacifistAg
AG

Quote:

I can't speak for non-denoms or Presbyterians, but I have seen a lot of what you said in the baptist denomination. Certainly that is painting in an overly broad brush, but I did run into a lot of dismissing of challenging questions during my time in the baptist denomination. A good example was an email I had sent to my dad about some questions/challenges I had re: Christians and the state. My dad had forwarded to his pastor, who responded with "Your son is a thinker, but let me tell you where he's wrong...." and then he simply proceeded to cut/paste Romans 13:1-7. It was such a dismissive response.

But, I think you'll see that aversion to challenging questions in any denomination, especially in a society that has really packaged up Christianity with a nice, tidy bow. I won't say baptists are worse than others, because my experience is only within the baptist denom, Church of Christ and Mennonite churches. I've seen it in Church of Christ as well, which factored into our recent decision to leave that church body. So, I wouldn't say it's a denominational issue, but more a cultural issue within American Christianity.
Texaggie7nine
Quote:

Would you agree that the positive impact that Christianity has had on humanity is evidence that should be considered?

Evidence that Jesus was the son of God and died for our sins? I don't think so.

From my reading on the origins of Christianity, especially laid out in "Who Wrote the New Testament", Jesus' teachings about how to treat one another and how to live were followed years before the notion that he was a god or son of a god came into the picture. It was the appeal of the message of how to treat one another and how to view no race, bloodline, political position, or class or person above any other that resonated so strongly. And it was those notions that created such successful communities and eventually was grown into a full on dogmatic religion.

It would be like teaching a primitive tribe that had a problem with diseases that there are demons that live in dirt and a special spiritual solution called soap used to wash their hands kills them. If it vastly improves the tribes health by following the advice, do they now have more evidence that demons are real?
7nine
kurt vonnegut
AG
BusterAg said:

k2aggie07 said:

Right. What makes me bummed is that the tricky thing about experience is you have to have it. Every agnostic or atheist in this thread has been soured on a posit they've identified as either Christianity or Religion in general. This is, no doubt, based on adverse experience or possibly a poorly structured experiment / belief system (analogous to not controlling a variable or conflating observed phenomena). My personal belief is that my posits are correct, but this is not because I was told they were facts -- I rejected those earlier posits, just like you did. But my posits are correct, for me, because of affirming experience.

It's really difficult to share these affirming experiences. That's a sad difficulty.
This is a beautiful post.

Unfortunately, sharing our affirming experiences will never have the same impact on others as they originally had on us.

But the reverse is true too, no? We are often blinded by how someone could disagree with us based on how impactful our adverse experiences were on our own posits. Describing these actions / arguments is not going to have the same impact.

I've never been comfortable with this argument from K2 for a couple of reasons. In reverse order that they show up:

We all obviously have had different experiences. The suggestion that our different affirming or adverse experiences might affect the probability that we land on belief in a certain set of posits. . . . it doesn't undermine the possibility that those posits may be right, but it does undermine the idea that we should all expect to land on the same set of beliefs or that 'justice' is served by holding everyone accountable to the same standards. Assuming K2s beliefs are correct, then the fact that 2/3 of the planet rejects the very foundation of his posits and will not go to Heaven, or grow closer to God, or enjoy what he might call the greatest joy in his life. . . . thats not a 'sad difficulty'. Its a $#%&ing tragedy. If 'Christianity is true', then I am heartbroken beyond all repair that 2/3 of the people to ever live will have the wrong experiences to recognize it. I can understand that personal believes can be immensely powerful and beautiful and life affirming and whatever. . . . But DAMN! unless you are a universalist, I don't understand how you can chalk up the saddest thing imaginable happening to billions of people to God's way and then just accept it is a goodness that we don't quite understand. Is this overdramatic? Maybe. . . . I just don't get it! This is the all-everything heavy weight champion of this universe and every other universe and most of his creation are doing the opposite of what they are expected to do - not because they are inherently evil and twisted, but because of accidents of experience and geography and brain chemistry.

I'm trying to understand what K2 meant in the first part of his post above. That atheists and agnostics have mis-identified what Christianity is or that we've assigned erroneous and dubious posits as being Christian even though they don't truly reflect Christianity? And/Or that atheists and agnostics mis understanding is a reflection of having an adverse experience or an ineffective structure from which to learn what Christianity actually is. It eliminates the possibility that maybe some of us just don't think its true. I think there is some 'truth' in Christianity and religion, but I think a lot of it is simply incorrect and, yes, much of it grinds against my experiences and what I accept as true.

One posit I hold close is this: Human life has value.
If you think Christianity is absolutely true, then what excuse does any Christian have to do anything with their life other than dedicated every waking second to saving as many people as possible. And if you think Islam is absolutely true, then what excuse does any Muslim have to do anything with their life other than dedicate every waking second to saving as many people as possible. And if you are God, what excuse do you have to do anything with your existence other than save as many people as possible. And If God is batting in the .300s because most people just don't know or just haven't had the right experiences. . . . . what's he actually doing? Relying on imperfect you to teach stubborn me the truth? Expecting me to filter through mountains of ancient philosophy and supernatural claims to accept the correct truth. I'm not that smart, God. Smarter people than me have studied philosophy and theology and ancient religions, and spirituality and they've landed all over the damn map.

Sorry for the rant. I don't intend this to come off argumentative or aggressive . . . . I just don't understand how people can say they know whats true to anyone other than themselves. I sure as hell cant. I know what makes sense to me and I haven't the balls or the arrogance to tell you that what makes sense to you is wrong.
Texaggie7nine
Quote:

If you think Christianity is absolutely true, then what excuse does any Christian have to do anything with their life other than dedicated every waking second to saving as many people as possible.
This was a very real factor for me. It basically came to a head. If I REALLY believed the Bible and what was taught by my pastors than I was a horrible person for not dedicating every second of my life to saving souls from the horrible fate of hell. Either I believed it and followed through or I didn't believe. I had only those 2 options. So I delved.
7nine
Jarrel04
I struggled with my faith in my early 20s and came back into the fold for over a decade where I took on leadership roles in my church. Several people came to Christ during that time and I was an active participant in their journey. I've given my testimony hundreds and hundreds of times about my struggles and doubts and how digging deeper brought me closer to God and help give me a greater understanding of him and his word.

I can say with full conviction that I thought I had questioned my faith and I thought I had struggled and I thought I had dug deep into the word of God. I had whole heartedly and vociferously testified to this for years and I truly believed it.

Reflecting back I don't believe I truly questioned my faith. There was never a moment, even in those darkest times, I even remotely opened the door to my faith not being true. I was only waffling if my understanding of bits and pieces was accurate. I'd discussed the problem of evil, the existence of hell, free will and predestination, the angry OT God and all the usual stuff found some answers better than others but never honestly considered it might not even be true at all.

In my thirties I started focusing more on evangelizing to those more hostile to religion. Our church had plenty of people to handle the window shoppers and a vibrant ministry to the poor in our country and others. I'd heard some facile arguments of atheists but never spoken in depth with one versed in the Bible with the depth and breadth of knowledge I'd attained over the years. It was then that I met some who weren't simply angry with God or butthurt about their upbringing that articulated why they don't believe some things and pressed me on some of the more problematic theological issues that I, over the course of years, unknowingly, started to see the cracks and rather than think of them as small misunderstandings to be understood when I met god they became gaping holes that drained my faith. I didn't actively or consciously choose to stop believing, I just realized I didn't believe anymore.

As a non believer who once truly thought I questioned my faith and overcame it, I see my old self in many religious people today who think they've struggled with their faith but never really opened the door to the possibility it wasn't real or true. They really just struggled within their faith. I may have said I wondered if god existed but I was only seeking to see how he did exist and how could I fit that in my worldview. In no way did I actively seek how my worldview could exist without god. At worst I was apathetic and didn't think about it for some time before picking up where I left off.

This is where I was coming from when I said retired wasn't seeking truth but deciding the truth and seeking to fit scripture and the world into his predefined construct of truth, in his case viewing everything through a crucified Jesus or however he phrased it. Apologies if I'm not remembering correctly and no intent to maliciously single you out

I think I also had a similar construct in my struggles and search for the truth. Consciously or not I had an idea of what Christianity was to me and while it changed over the years with new information I had blinders on that severely limited how new information could be processed and what could acceptably be left as mystery. It allowed me to believe I was seeking the truth and that I had struggled deeply with my faith when in reality I never even considered it was all untrue.

Tldr I know

Texaggie7nine
I totally agree. I had told myself for a long time as I debated online with atheists and the like (because I've always liked debate and understanding those who believe differently) that I had truly allowed myself to question if Jesus was really the son of God, if the Bible was really true, ect.

My first concession was the bible. I was ok with it being wrong in places because nothing man touches can be perfect. But the very idea that Jesus might not be a messiah.... Well that scared me too much. Still does if I'll be completely honest. I still pray to Him most nights before I go to bed. I ask Him to help me get past these stupid logical thoughts and see His truth. He is just too comforting an idea to let go of some times.

Like I said posted earlier on this thread, my belief rested more on how much I thought it would suck if Jesus wasn't real than actual evidence I could find.
7nine
P.C. Principal
kurt vonnegut said:

One posit I hold close is this: Human life has value.
If you think Christianity is absolutely true, then what excuse does any Christian have to do anything with their life other than dedicated every waking second to saving as many people as possible. And if you think Islam is absolutely true, then what excuse does any Muslim have to do anything with their life other than dedicate every waking second to saving as many people as possible. And if you are God, what excuse do you have to do anything with your existence other than save as many people as possible. And If God is batting in the .300s because most people just don't know or just haven't had the right experiences. . . . . what's he actually doing? Relying on imperfect you to teach stubborn me the truth? Expecting me to filter through mountains of ancient philosophy and supernatural claims to accept the correct truth. I'm not that smart, God. Smarter people than me have studied philosophy and theology and ancient religions, and spirituality and they've landed all over the damn map.
This was a huge thing for me too!

I thought, if Christianity is true, billions and billions of people will go to hell. It's not just atheist, agnostics, and believers of other religions... but also the lukewarm Christians. The Bible says that not everyone who calls Jesus Lord will enter heaven.

I'd say if all this is true then >90% of all people will suffer eternal damnation. 100 billion people are estimated to have ever lived, for reference.

Which really is an unimaginable tragedy. If I truly believed this, I would be overwhelmed with despair. That is so many people. I love that Christians can be friends with Jews, Muslims, nonbelievers, etc. That's definitely better than hating each other. But they also have to deal with the uncomfortable truth that if their friend doesn't convert before their death, they're doomed to hell. You'd think that would make the Christian pretty frantic.

To be fair, Christians do have a history of trying to convert people.

But, all this begs the question as to why God did such a lousy job ensuring the most people would go to heaven. If he sent Jesus down to earth he obviously cares about our salvation. But he waited until quite a bit long after humans started existing to save humanity. And after all the New Testament stuff was wrapped up God decided he's finished communicating with people on earth. We're on our own, now.

Edit: and all this is pretty depressing to come to terms with. I really hope heaven does exist. I really hope hell does not exist.
Jarrel04
Quote:

But, all this begs the question as to why God did such a lousy job ensuring the most people would go to heaven

This is incredibly frustrating to me because of the answer most often received.

"If we knew God existed then we wouldn't need faith."

Salvational faith is putting your faith in Jesus that he is your savior. It's similar to putting your faith in your parents that they love you and will do what is best for you. It's not having faith that an invisible parent exists. Moses directly experienced god. Many figures experienced God. The disciples were with Jesus. Paul saw God. Faith is not about believing in something that doesn't reveal itself to you. That's blind faith, not salvational faith. Satan believes god exists. He's not going to chum it up in heaven.

Thus the question is why doesn't god specifically reveal himself either broadly to us all or individually.

None of this "he does it through nature" stuff. That doesn't testify to a specific Christian God.

If God loves us and it's going to be awful if we don't put our faith in God then at the very least let us know you exist.

I'm sure some would argue he does give all of us opportunity and special revelation that we could choose to follow or not but the correlation between geography and parents religion is deeply troublesome for special revelation on an individual basis.

I just find it impossible to believe that an omnipotent God exists yet I can think of better ways of letting people know he exists than he can. How could we remain unpersuaded if such a God existed and used his tools to persuade us? Even if some rejected putting their faith in him how could they deny he exists? Satan doesn't even do that. It's just a very bad system that deeply undermines the credibility of it all in my opinion.
Aggrad08
AG

Quote:

Edit: and all this is pretty depressing to come to terms with. I really hope heaven does exist. I really hope hell does not exist
I fully agree with the sentiments above about basically having to commit nearly every minute of your life to evangelism if you truly believe in hell.

I never understood, even as a christian, the comfort with which some people have of "condemning" (verbally) others to hell and thinking nothing of it. Or even worse, seeming to enjoy the idea, a "they'll get theirs" attitude. I think such an attitude probably arises out of not having anyone in your family or social group who isn't a believer. The idea of someone you love suffering terribly can really make the notion hit home. It's stops being an evil "them" and starts being a him or her.
Woody2006
AG
Quote:

Would you agree that the positive impact that Christianity has had on humanity is evidence that should be considered? Obviously not proof, but not, in my opinion, something that should be overlooked.
No. It is not at all evidence that Christianity is reflective of reality.

A nice side effect, perhaps. A positive externality, if you will.
kurt vonnegut
AG
Aggrad08 said:

I never understood, even as a christian, the comfort with which some people have of "condemning" (verbally) others to hell and thinking nothing of it. Or even worse, seeming to enjoy the idea, a "they'll get theirs" attitude. I think such an attitude probably arises out of not having anyone in your family or social group who isn't a believer. The idea of someone you love suffering terribly can really make the notion hit home. It's stops being an evil "them" and starts being a him or her.

I would venture a guess that all of us understand what it feels like to want to be right about something so that you can rub it in the other guys face, so to speak. And while its not exactly fair to equate that to a religious person relishing the idea of someone suffering damnation - I wonder whether it is / to what level it is part of the appeal of certain religions. I dare so most believers would deny this suggestion, but I think its clear its part of our nature.

Atheists are plenty guilty of thinking this way too, but it seems relatively innocuous to smirk at the idea of nothing happen after a Christian dies when compared to smirking the idea of a non-religious person suffering Hell or being forever separated from God (if that is how they see it).
kurt vonnegut
AG
Jarrel04 said:

"If we knew God existed then we wouldn't need faith."

I dislike this reply as well as the argument that it interferes with free will.
Woody2006
AG
kurt vonnegut said:

Aggrad08 said:

I would venture a guess that all of us understand what it feels like to want to be right about something so that you can rub it in the other guys face, so to speak. And while its not exactly fair to equate that to a religious person relishing the idea of someone suffering damnation - I wonder whether it is / to what level it is part of the appeal of certain religions. I dare so most believers would deny this suggestion, but I think its clear its part of our nature.

Atheists are plenty guilty of thinking this way too, but it seems relatively innocuous to smirk at the idea of nothing happen after a Christian dies when compared to smirking the idea of a non-religious person suffering Hell or being forever separated from God (if that is how they see it).
It's not some huge mystery... humans are tribal.

They want good things for their tribe and bad things for all the other tribes.
P.C. Principal
Aggrad08 said:

Quote:

Edit: and all this is pretty depressing to come to terms with. I really hope heaven does exist. I really hope hell does not exist
I fully agree with the sentiments above about basically having to commit nearly every minute of your life to evangelism if you truly believe in hell.

I'm reminded of a Charles Darwin quote here. He said something like he doesn't understand how anyone wishes Christianity to be true. Because if it is true, lots of his family members and close friends will be eternally punished.

It's hard enough when a loved one dies. I cannot imagine the anguish I would feel if I truly believed in hell and I knew for a fact that my deceased loved one was an atheist.

I'd reckon that the only people I'd be happy were in hell would be terrible people like Hitler. It's a lot more troubling when it's millions of good people who just happened to not have accepted Christ.
swimmerbabe11
I have a pastor who is the only Christian in his family. He's a convert. Causes plenty of anguish.

We all have vocations and callings. Not everyone is called to go out and preach/teach. For some, the best way that they serve the Lord and fellow man is through their vocations as father, brother, son, employer etc. We can see on this thread examples of "evangelizing" being dangerous spiritual business Satan wants the opportunity to let doubt creep in and he'll use each encounter with someone of a different faith as a door to wedge more doubt in.

Lord I believe, help my unbelief!
swimmerbabe11
I get called an SJW hippie liberal libtard snowflake more than anything when on the politics board I call out those who start saying bloodthirsty things or celebrating bad people's deaths. It makes me sick to my stomach.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.