Atheism

18,318 Views | 262 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by tehmackdaddy
champagnepapi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Any Atheists on the board that care to share why they crossed over?

I haven't been to church in 4 years after years of being a devout Catholic. And frankly I don't miss or feel bad at all. Perhaps I was in the wrong house of God growing up and never fully understood my faith? I'm starting to question it all...

vacating FL410
God created you and loves you. He sent Jesus Christ that you would have direct access to Him and salvation. No third parties, no pomp and circumstance. Seek Jesus and I believe you will find Him.

Praying for you.
Woody2006
AG
champagnepapi said:

Any Atheists on the board that care to share why they crossed over?

I haven't been to church in 4 years after years of being a devout Catholic. And frankly I don't miss or feel bad at all. Perhaps I was in the wrong house of God growing up and never fully understood my faith? I'm starting to question it all...
I used to be a believer. I grew up in a very strong Christian household. I don't mean that in a negative sense and my parents weren't terribly strict or anything, but my father was a pastor and they raised me in a very indoctrinated world.

I started losing faith my senior year of high school. I didn't realize that's what it was at the time... I just thought I was focusing on other things and I would worry about being a good Christian at some later point in my life. All my friends were Christians and I'm not sure I had a single atheist influence until I was in my 20's.

For most of my 20's I was still a believer. I didn't make it a priority in my life, but I still went to church occasionally and my friends were still pretty much all Christians themselves. I did have one friend who stopped believing and started probing me with questions over time. I maintained belief in my later 20's for no reason other than Pascal's wager. I was willing to bet that if any religion was real that it would be Christianity, so I had far more upsiide than downside in continuing to have faith.

Over time I had one or two other friends who became atheists, and one became an extremely angry atheist for quite a while. I was upset at him for quite some time, but eventually I realized that I was defending something I didn't really believe in. I read a lot of C.S. Lewis and books like "The Case For Christ" and was left unsatisfied. I finally started trying to understand how other atheists might view the world and how they could believe that something came from nothing. I spent several years reading anything I could get my hands on from Christians, atheists, and deists. I contemplated suffering, hell, and the capriciousness of the universe. One day I simply realized I no longer believed in God. I didn't actively choose to reject him, I just realized I had stopped believing.

For several months I had a hard time with this. In my mind I was coming to terms with the fact that instead of living for eternity in paradise, I was going to die and then that will be the end of me. Eventually I learned to use this as motivation to live my life as fully as I can while I still have it.

Based on your first few threads I had assumed you were just trolling to be a dick. It sounds more like you are having trouble coming to terms with your newfound beliefs. All the best.
Post removed:
by user
Aggrad08
AG
More or less the same story. Firm Christian upbringing. Started looking closer into my faith and apologetics in general and found that the defenses weren't satisfactory in the face of the arguments so often. As I looked deeper into the historicity of the bible, morality of the OT, and credibility issues with the NT, and the concept of Hell combined with narrow salvation and a hidden god I slowly found I didn't believe anymore. But I did consider the arguments for deism to be a good bit stronger than Christianity specifically, as I was losing faith in Christianity I often defended it to myself and others with arguments that were actually defenses of deism and were not Christian specific. More or less the teleological argument resonated with me and I still see it as the finest argument for god.

With deism life was little different than it is today. I may have thrown up a rare prayer in a "why not" sort of way, but I was well past church going. With further study I found myself agnostic on god's existence with a leaning toward atheism. I had a small period where I was uncomfortable with death being the end, but that's mostly passed and I like life and the freedom of thought and lack of guilt that I experience today.

I didn't consciously lose faith, and even fought it. It really is just something that happened.
fwheightsboy
AG
I have slowly realized that religion just makes no sense. It requires a belief in the supernatural, and a denial of science. There are just too many questions that can only be answered by " just have faith." Various interpretations of ancient books by people who have no more knowledge than anyone else are not helpful. All religions claim revealed knowledge, but no one person on this earth has any more actual knowledge than any other. I believe in being honest and nice to people. No one has to tell me once a week how to do that.
Zobel
AG
Y'all's stories are all the exact same as mine, except I took a turn at a place y'all stopped. When I hit that point I was an atheist for about ten minutes before laughing at my own arrogance and deciding I was agnostic. I kept going to church for a while, and then I decided "if God was, He and I were on OK terms". But then I just started reading, and I found orthodoxy.

I feel like a lot of what y'all wrote about is part of the cultural zeitgeist (definitely has a tint of postmodernism in it). It's a little frustrating to me, because I feel like "rational empiricism" or "logical positivism" will always send you straight to where we all arrived. But Christianity has historically not made a claim to rational empiricism; the very concept of a pre-existent or transcendent being precludes empirical knowledge without divine condescension (immanence) or revelation, neither of which are under human control or subject to human understanding. (And, ironically logical positivism is basically a dead philosophical system, yet many are unconscious acolytes).

The poster above me is a great example of this postmodernist thinking. It's just wrong-headed to say that denial of science is a prerequisite for faith. Not that I've done anything amazing, but I'll wager I've published more peer reviewed papers than he has. And claiming that no one person has more actual knowledge than any other is either unknowable or demonstrably false.

It's ironic, in a way -- to have faith we have to become true empiricists, actually be willing to subject ourselves to experience. Of course, all true scientists do this anytime they find results that falsify their hypothesis. But you have to run the experiment to find out.
chuckd
AG
Very well said k2aggie07. I had a thread pointing this out several years ago when I frequented this board.

https://texags.com/forums/15/topics/2493833
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
Zobel
AG
I am sad by what you said. If I can just use one beat words then you might be good to know what I just said.

(Writing in one-syllable words is actually really hard, and this was supposed to be a joke but I forgot the emoji.)
Zobel
AG
We under-experience and under-define reality, both as individuals and a species. As I've mentioned before on here, I'm a big fan of Quine. If you haven't yet, you really ought to read his Two Dogmas paper, if only because it is the most referenced philosophy paper of the 20th century.

Anyway, basically you only know what you experience first hand or what you accept from another's experience. These experiences form posits, and posits are connected to other posits by further experience. Experience either reinforces or affirms the correctness of those posits or damages them ("recalcitrant" experiences). The "rightness" of these posits is purely subjective - they only exist as useful tools for predicting future interactions with reality -- whatever reality may be.

Based on that, we shouldn't confuse our posits, or even all of sum of knowledge of mankind (i.e., all posits ever minus ones that have suffered from recalcitrant experiences and been discarded or modified) with actual reality. Even well-defined and extremely useful posts (e.g., solid objects) aren't really "correct". I'm not sure if there is a "correct" way to view reality, personally.

Paraphrasing Quine, the posit of Homer's gods and the posits of solid objects aren't different in kind, only in their predictive utility.

SO I said that to say, it's no good kicking over someone else's posits unless you have a recalcitrant experience with the same dataset. In other words, you can't use an experiment in particle physics as valid evidence against polymer characterization.

This is very different than a logical positivist mindset which is kind of the backwards approach to the same problem -- something is only meaningful or real if it can be verified (like cataphatic vs apophatic theology).
Post removed:
by user
Zobel
AG
Right. What makes me bummed is that the tricky thing about experience is you have to have it. Every agnostic or atheist in this thread has been soured on a posit they've identified as either Christianity or Religion in general. This is, no doubt, based on adverse experience or possibly a poorly structured experiment / belief system (analogous to not controlling a variable or conflating observed phenomena). My personal belief is that my posits are correct, but this is not because I was told they were facts -- I rejected those earlier posits, just like you did. But my posits are correct, for me, because of affirming experience.

It's really difficult to share these affirming experiences. That's a sad difficulty.
Post removed:
by user
kurt vonnegut
AG
My story is similar to Woody's, Astro's, and others on the board. I won't bore you with the details unless you want them.

I think that what I want to add to this thread, in light of your recent threads, is a piggy back on the last paragraph of Woody's post. These are just my thoughts and beliefs:

In 35 years, the only thing, as it relates to spiritualism or our understanding of reality, that I feel confident in claiming with certainty is that 'I don't know' . . . and neither does anyone else as far as I can tell. I don't think religion is the enemy. I don't think faith is the enemy. Given the characteristics of humanity, I'm not sure that religion (in a very broad sense) isn't something psychologically important and maybe vital to the species. The thing that I believe the religious and the non-religious can do without is some of our certainty. The biggest enemy of humanity today is something built into the psychology of humanity.

What is it about us that makes the feeling or moral superiority so attractive? Why do we all think we have moral superiority, cultural superiority, philosophical superiority, genetic superiority, or intellectual superiority - and in the very next breath point to the awesomeness of God or the mysteries of science that we don't understand as though this slight demonstration of humility excuses all of the rest of our self-righteousness? There is something culturally and psychologically important about standing in stubborn solidarity to the adherence to ideas or principles because they are the ideas and principles of 'our' people. We like to be right. We like when others are wrong. We think those that are wrong should be ridiculed or punished and we justify that ridicule or punishment by saying that they brought it upon themselves. We have no lack of imagination when it comes to justifying our own superiority or righteousness when we inflict harm or inflict our will. Humans do these things. Not Atheists. Not Christians. Not Muslims. Humans.

I see this in your posts the other day about religion being the root of all evil and superstition carried down through generations by brainwashing. I see this in K2s post which boils the experiences of the atheists on this thread down to being the result of submission to a self-indulgent, ignorance-based postmodern cultural whim. I see this in myself too, and I don't like it. Hell, to some extent, I may be guilty of it in this post. I hope I get called out for my hypocrisy and my bias when it shows up and I hope that I have the courage to accept it.
Aggrad08
AG
I feel that personal emotional experience is far too fickle an animal to rely on. And as a foundation can lead you to virtually any religion. I don't doubt anything that I've rejected as it seems if would require a fundamental change in the way the universe works to be true. My incomplete knowledge doesn't require outright rejection of what I do know and can support in favor of the seemingly much more capricious and poorly understood human emotional experience. I've spoken to many Mormons who feel the same, I don't doubt their personal experience one bit, but feel certain their sacred text is false.

I don't take issue with simplified models like solid or smooth objects so long as we understand the usefulness and limitations of such models. Our models are among the greatest human achievements. And we are quite adapt at using them appropriately.
kurt vonnegut
AG
k2aggie07 said:

I am sad by what you said. If I can just use one beat words then you might be good to know what I just said.

(Writing in one-syllable words is actually really hard, and this was supposed to be a joke but I forgot the emoji.)

I find myself looking up some of your references as well, but in your defense, the references always check out and your posts tend to be well put together. I don't mind being sent to go look up some obscure 17th Century philosopher or idea.
Beer Baron
AG
For me it all kind of unraveled when I realized that if I'd been born in a different place I'd very likely be a different religion, or at the very least a different form of the religion I was born into. I was always open to the idea of some sort of divine being, and I still am. Or at least some kind of being that would seem divine from our perspective. I just never understood how any one religion could claim to have the inside info on what that thing is like, what it's done, or what it wants.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Quote:

What does that have to do with faith? It's hardly an argument for it. It's an argument against the kind of atheism which explicitly rejects any possibility of God, sure, but nobody here believes that.

Bit of a tangent, but I get a little irked when people equate religion and faith (especially blind faith). As if there is no evidence of any kind whatsoever, and people just sort of go along. There is plenty of evidence for God, but it is not physical evidence that can be verified through repeated experimentation. It's all somewhat subjective, but it is still evidence. The evidence can be a personal interaction with the divine, a similar experience in a loved one, seeing someone turn around a life after finding religion, or even just the existence of selfless love in the first place. You don't have to put weight in my subjective evidence or the narrative I use to give that evidence meaning, but it's sort of insulting to say that all religious people base their beliefs on nothing other than blind faith. /rant
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Beer Baron
AG
Though I disagree with there being plenty of "evidence," for the sake of argument let's just assume that's true. Why does that evidence point to your specific god and not one of the thousands of others people have and will continue to come up with?
jkag89
Good question this time and as a result it sparked good posts and discussion.

I have a cousin who was in a similar situation to yours, raised in a practicing Catholic household but began expressing disbelief early in his high school years. My aunt and uncle fretted but didn't pressure my cousin but also constantly prayed for him. Prayers "answered" in him finding and marrying a good Catholic girl. I'm fairly certain his beliefs about God are where they were way back when but he is far more active in parish life than most believing Catholics. Point of story, if you find yourself attracted to a nice Christian girl, you might want to run because she might be the answer to your folks prayers and you'll find yourself doing all this religion stuff for her if not for yourself.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Since you asked specifically about my God, I'm going to throw out a little scripture.

1 John 4:7 Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. 8 Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.

My God is love. Specifically the selfless love described in 1 Cor 13. My subjective evidence has led me directly to that God. I can't speak for people of other religions or even others of my own. To me the labels, mechanics, details, history, and observances of my religion are all great, but they are all subordinate to trying to embody selfless love to worship the God of selfless love.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Beer Baron
AG
Ok that's nice but it doesn't answer my question. Other religions could trot out scripture from their books too.
ramblin_ag02
AG
You probably don't watch my videos or read my posts much. I don't really care what religion someone follows or says they are. If they worship and live out a life of selfless love, then they worship my God as far as I'm concerned. So I am less disturbed by quirks of history, geography and culture than you would imagine.
Zobel
AG
AstroAg17 said:

What does it mean to believe? The definition I've always seen is that belief means you hold something to be true. But that's an incomplete description of reality in nearly every situation. The times when we can say that one thing must be true to the exclusion of all others are rare. So why believe? Why hold something to be true when you know it may not be?
That's kind of a tough question!

First, I would suggest there is a difference between intellectual belief and faith. Just as there is a difference between knowledge and Knowledge, the proper noun denoting some kind experience with Actual Reality (i.e., God) rather than a posit.

I'm not sure I've ever had Knowledge, or that I ever will. But, I have seen and read things that lead me to believe that others have had Knowledge. By necessity, this is ineffable -- any words are just posits themselves, right?

But I also think things can be true in a contextual or particular sense while not universally true, like the myth of the solid object.

So I think believing in something is accepting it as a posit, and then that posit is subject to further experience. If you believe in it (even in an abstract way, not necessarily as a discrete thing as you noted) it will guide your expectation of future experience. Every belief is either confirmed or not every time we use it to predict the future. Of course, we can have incorrect confirmations (heliocentric, flat earth, tricks of inertial frames, whatever) -- but there's no way around that because literally everything we believe is a posit based on admittedly flawed experiences.

I can't make any further confession about my knowledge or claim some special insight about God because I am not particularly pious or holy. The Fathers tell us that experience of the Divine can actually happen with the senses, that when our mind (nous) is purified, we can actually see whats there all along. This is the root of the Hesychast controversy between St Gregory Palamas and Barlaam - Barlaam thought this was nonsense.

However, I have experienced things, which in the jargon of the current discussion generated posits, and these posits have been affirmed by things I've read that other people have experienced. Much as when I learned a little more about physics my understanding of physical phenomena I'd experienced improved, when I learn more about my faith, some of the things I've experienced personally have been given a new insight.

So I believe for two reasons: one, I've had affirming experience. Two, I find it useful for me in a predictive capacity when I interact with reality. And truthfully, that's the only rational reason to believe anything, right?
Zobel
AG
It's all turtles models, all the way down.

Doesn't matter if they're emotional or physical turtles, measured by how we perceive temperature, light, mathematical data sets or feels. Still turtles.
Zobel
AG
Very true. Heck, Christ taught this: "You worship what you do not know; we worship what we know, for salvation is from the Jews. But an hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for such people the Father seeks to be His worshipers. God is spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth."
Beer Baron
AG
That's good. I don't see how this squares with all the rules for salvation your religion has established, but it certainly beats the "wrong religion, burn in hell" viewpoint.
Aggrad08
AG
You bet. But some models allow me to type a message to you via the internet, and some are confusing ass emotional turtles that lead to Mormonism just as firmly as Islam just as firmly as Christianity. I feel like that particular turtle got stuck on his back and can't get up and walk around.
TexAgs91
AG
I was raised as a moderate christian, and accepted it when I was young because that is what I was told. I've always been interested in science and as a teenager I saw Cosmos. That took me from being merely interested in science to a student of science and I learned all I could.

About that time in high school, I encountered my first pair of fundies. They belonged to a church that would have you thrown out or prescribe all kinds of measures if you did not believe every word in the bible literally. I was talking to them and what I had learned in science was brought face to face with what the bible had taught. I was thinking... "huh? that can't be right". Then I started paying attention to the discrepancies more and more and concluded that I couldn't know what was supposed to be the truth in the bible and what was supposed to be allegory.

Meanwhile, science was quickly answering questions about life, the universe and everything faster than religion was so it became more and more natural to seek scientific explanations rather than religious explanations for things. I never really looked back to religion for answers after that.

I got to the point where I questioned what, if anything God did? There was a scientific explanation for just about everything except for whatever started the big bang. By that time I believed it would have to be a scientific, or natural, explanation and I craved to know what it was.

Technically I guess you should say I'm agnostic since I cannot disprove God. But practically, I'm an atheist because I just can't think in religious terms anymore. It doesn't make sense to do so. A good friend of mine is religious and was worried I'd go to hell. Since he's a good friend and was really concerned for me, I didn't just dismiss this and seriously tried to be open to the idea of a god. But it just does not fit in my worldview at all. Too many alarms go off in my head pointing out all the inconsistencies.
Zobel
AG
What is the inconsentency of the existence of a god?
oldarmy1
AG
What is that morticians joke about an athiest "client"?

All dressed up and no place to go.
Zobel
AG
You really believe that all religions teach the same things? Equal value propositions, equal potential validity, equal claim to truth (i.e., none)? I find that a little shocking.
Jim Hogg is angry
AG
Popular Internet Atheist Still Thinks Last Book Of Bible Is Called 'Revelations'

Quote:

WEST GREENWICH, RI When making the case that the God of the Bible is a bloodthirsty, vengeful deity, prolific internet atheist Ryan Devi is reportedly still citing "The Book of Revelations" on his website, podcast, and YouTube channel.

"I've studied the Bible deeply, from cover to cover, many times," the popular nonbeliever posited Wednesday in his latest video blog entry. "I know the Bible better than most Christians, believe me. And all it takes is one read through the Book of Revelations to see that the God of the Bible is a monster who, even if he were real, would not merit anyone's worship."

"It's really a trump card," he continued. "Whenever you come across a Christian saying that their God is loving, challenge them to reconcile that statement with what's in Revelations. They can't do it."
A quick search for "Book of Revelations" returned 241 hits on Devi's popular blog, according to sources.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.