Earth's age at 6000 yrs

100,317 Views | 1071 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by AstroAg17
PA24
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Knife_Party
You are no scientist. Thats for sure.
Jim Hogg is angry
AG
Heard Dr. Lisle speak about five years ago. He's a brilliant man.
747Ag
AG
I can't with this.
Mattressburn
AG
Are we just posting crazy stuff in this thread

Stacy's Deviled Eggs
Aggrad08
AG
I'm amazed people are stupid enough to believe this
VitruvianAg
AG
If the universe were only 6,000 yo there would be no stars.
West Point Aggie
AG
Shouldn't there be a image of Jesus riding a dinosaur by now?
7thGenTexan
AG
quote:
Chevyboxer 11:55p, 4/4/15

Stacy's Deviled Eggs

How do you link like this on texags? I've never taken the time to figure it out.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
quote:
I can't with this.

Are these the same goobers that said the world was gonna end in 2011? I was really disappointed in that one. It had good traction. We were in Philly at a baseball game at the "appointed time." I figured nothing more American than dying at a baseball game in the Liberty City.
747Ag
AG
quote:
quote:
I can't with this.

Are these the same goobers that said the world was gonna end in 2011? I was really disappointed in that one. It had good traction. We were in Philly at a baseball game at the "appointed time." I figured nothing more American than dying at a baseball game in the Liberty City.

No clue. It was a url that was shown at the top of OP's video.
The Lone Stranger
I am not a scientist, but the discussion on the one-way speed of light was a bit confusing for me. However, I have seen these kinds of threads before, and the usual response is ridicule. What I would find much more interesting is simply listing his arguments/points/observations/etc., and then responding to them with your take on real science.

The usual "it's not science/he's a last days freak/stupid" response is not so effective as an argument. If the reply is something like, 'if you had any idea of real science is, you wouldn't even say this,' then you are simply asking someone with a weak scientific background to take your word for it, and well.....kinda thought we were here to discuss and debate.
Woody2006
AG
Did we ever figure out if winags is a serious poster or just an entertaining troll?
7thGenTexan
AG
quote:
Did we ever figure out if winags is a serious poster or just an entertaining troll?

I'm still wondering that about most of the G&A board. Except most of the posters aren't very entertaining.
Knife_Party
Young earther arguments are the worst form of "science" and deserve no such rational debate.

This link has a list of common arguments they make and is a good read:

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/hovind/howgood-dr.html
VitruvianAg
AG
So the ASC model would not apply to the light from the sun reaching earth in 8 minutes, negating all of the observed evidence form satellite studies and confirmations. GPS wouldn't work either, right.

But, but, but ASC only applies to stellar light....riiiiiight!!
Aggrad08
AG
quote:
I have seen these kinds of threads before, and the usual response is ridicule. What I would find much more interesting is simply listing his arguments/points/observations/etc., and then responding to them with your take on real science.
Pick one point of his you find compelling and I'll explain to you why it's nonsense, it would take to long to mess with every claim (though they are all already debunked by a quick google search). The speed of light issue is quite simple. The speed of light is a constant of our universe, it's the same in all reference frames. But the stars providing that light are often much farther than 6k light years away (the distance light travels in one year).

There is no way around this. The two common YEC responses are that god created the light "en route" meaning that the stars are merely a mirage, they are fake illusions of what real stars look like. Or that god magicked the speed of light faster without messing up all the other laws of the universe tied to it just to make the earth really 6k years old. Basically, they just say **** the evidence.
Amazing Moves
The 1st part of the video shows the flaw. ICR's commitment is to use astronomy to bring people to the glory of God.

Instead of researching how the universe works or came to be.
Amazing Moves
Are you a young earth creationist? I can't remember.
Amazing Moves
quote:

Stacy's Deviled Eggs
That video is hilarious. She is at least a witch because you can tell by her black finger nail polish.
The Lone Stranger
Aggrad08, I appreciate the serious response. The "he is not worth taking seriously" responses only validate my point. Thanks for the substantive post. I would still like to see his points systematically invalidated or whatever, but hey, like everyone else, I guess the only response is to suggest google.

Again, I appreciate the actual response; I can use google, but I actually thought that the whiz scientist here could shorten my hours of personal research to some intelligent responses. Perhaps future religious and philosophy questions can be answered with the profound response of google.
Aggrad08
AG
Like I said, it's a long video and takes too much time for every thing he said. I would encourage you to focus on what you see as his most compelling case and I'll explain to you why it's false and why his ideas aren't remotely taken seriously by his peers.

Just pick one and we can go from there.
Star Wars Memes Only
What exactly is his argument? An hour video is too long to watch.
Madman
AG
I only made it about 10 minutes before quitting. The presenter's first point was that the size and the beauty of the universe are inline with creation by God. Not an earthshaking argument.

Speaking of earthshaking this guy is worth a laugh. One of the geocentric nuts out there arguing that the bible says the earth is immovable.

P.C. Principal
You have to deny so much science, even excluding evolution, to believe in a 6,000 year old universe. So. Much.
BusterAg
AG
What is funny to me is that I have seen arguments on this forum around quantum wave collapse that infer a universe that, while probably not as young as 6,000 years, is relatively very young.
Stive
AG
Another funny part about the OP is that many Biblical scholars gave up (or are giving up) the 6k year argument. Most of them aren't stupid and realize that science does play a part in our world today and science has repeatedly proven that the earth (and subsequently the universe) is far older than that. They've begun embracing that idea and including it in their teachings about God. Not continuing to ram their head up against a wall.

But then again, this is Winags we're talking about.
99_Brock_Ag
AG
Stive,
Out of curiousity when you say "many Biblical scholars" how many are you talking about? And do you have a link or support for the statement?

Not arguing in favor of the OP, or against what you said. You threw that out as fact so I'm just curious about where/whom it comes from.
amercer
oldarmy1
AG
quote:
If the universe were only 6,000 yo there would be no stars.
I always find this logic interesting. Let's assume there is a God by using the "If/Then" approach. If there was God, and if that God could literally speak into existence anything, then do you think he could make the light (star, cosmos, sun, whatever) be visible from the day created? If a God could create a fully grown tree, capable of bearing fruit, then couldn't He create a fully developed universe?

Specific to stars - If there is a God who could speak anything into existence and He had the ability to simply say "Let there be light and there was light" then when He said:

Genesis 1:14-19: "Let there be lights in the vault of the sky to separate the day from the night, and let them serve as signs to mark sacred times, and days and years, 15and let them be lights in the expanse of the sky to give light on the earth." And it was so. 16God made two great lights the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars. 17God set them in the expanse of the sky to give light on the earth, 18to govern the day and the night, and to separate light from darkness. And God saw that it was good. 19And there was evening, and there was morning the fourth day."

doesn't common sense tell us that the light coming from those stars "to give light on the earth" were made to do so as part of the creative process? It's kinda like the debate over the 24 hour day versus long spans of time. People argue that since there wasn't a sun or moon until day 4 then how long were days 1-3? As if, given the assumption of an all-powerful being with the ability to literally speak matter into existence, He couldn't handle time without a sun or moon? The sun and moon (and stars) are said to be for MAN to mark time, seasons, etc., NOT for God. I think He can keep a better clock....lol.
Post removed:
by user
7thGenTexan
AG
God made sure to put less complex fossils in the Precambrian than the Cambrian too (and so on). He had to make sure the earth looked good and mature. Same reason he gave Adam a navel and nipples.
oldarmy1
AG
I think the earth and universe were created in 6 literal days because I believe the Bible to be the inspired word of God. Not only because of Genesis 1 but also because God troubled himself when giving what is called the 10 Commandments (in Exodus 20:8 ) to say "For in 6 days I created the heavens, the earth and ALL THAT IS IN THEM".

If people want to argue some magic versus miraculous beginning then God tells me it was miraculous. And He does so numerous times throughout His word. I appreciate and study the science derived from God's creation. I admire scientists who have achieved advances through understanding parts of our creation. But if you ask me did the chicken or the egg come first then I believe the chicken came first, having been spoken into existence by God.
Post removed:
by user

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.