CT dots

4,661 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by opie03
Bob Tailed Pointer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone know the origin of the outfits that had dots (13, C1, B2?, and another?) Any idea when they started wearing them?

Do those outfits still around still continue with that tradition?
daniel02
AG
Bob,

I don't have any answer as to the origin. Most of my CT buddies graduated after '98. The few who were in classes before that were BQs (my great-uncle & cousin whose pots I know have no dots) or were in Air Force outfits and didn't use the dots (Gator 2 & Outlaw 8). My three sources that still might know are all in Iraq and (understandably) prioritize e-mails to their wives and parents over mine.

As to if these outfits still use the dots:
  • To my knowledge, 13 and C-1 are no longer in existance in any form. They may have been renamed and I'm unaware of it.
  • I can find no record on b-2.tamu.edu of anything referring to pots or bonfire tradition (or outfit history of any sort.) There used to be a good record at www.B2history.com, but that site is now gone.

• The four current CTs I know don't have a clue what I'm talking about. One of them said his outfit didn't even paint pots. The other three painted theirs with their fish buddies in their first semester but haven't so much as looked at them since.

That's all this dead non-reg can offer. Hope someone else knows. As you can see, if there's something to be learned about Bonfire Tradition or A&M's History, I'm jonesin' to learn it.

Remember '99.
OC Hogs Build Bonfire!
commando2004
AG
quote:
another?

Squadron 6 (which no longer exists).
walkhome
Sister outfits, we're the best. B1, C1, 13, 6! You don't like it, suck our *****.
Bob Ross
Here's the response that I got from a buddy of mine that was 02 in C-1.

quote:
B-1, C-1, Squadron 13 & Squadron 6 had dots. They
were the original 4 outfits that were known for
busting ass on bonfire.

I'm not sure of years or anything like that off the
top of my head, but in the early years of bonfire the
workers would wear welder's caps.

Some members of Squadron 17 wore dots when I was in
the corps ... but they were pass-downs from
upperclassmen from Squadron 13.

B-1 was disbanded and re-formed in the 90's ... the
new outfit wasn't hardcore in bonfire as the original,
and so the redpots didn't allow them to wear dots.

C-1 was also disbanded and re-formed in the late 90's
('97?), and my fish year the redpots declared us the
only outfit allowed to wear them. So while I was in
the outfit, we did allow our current members to wear
them, but now that C-1 is disbanded and is B-2, I
don't believe any current outfits on campus are
sporting them.

I think members of B-1 are pretty active in the off
campus bonfire, and so they might be pulling them out
right now ... but I'm not sure.
daniel02
AG
Thanks, Bob Ross!
ThatGuy05
The only corps outfits involved this year were:

K2 (Killers)
C2 (Old Army Cocks)
D2 (Dog Company)
B1 (Battlers? --not sure on mascot for this one)
BQs (did the frat house as they used to)

There were random members of various outfits that came out with other dorms, such as Morgan from E2.

Unfortunately, with so few corps outfits involved, I don't see any of the outfits that "wore dots" coming back out or the handing out of dots again :/
COKEMAN
AG
Actually, ThatGuy, I could see awarding some kind of recognition to the outfits that come out to the new fire.

My reasoning is based on what I saw in the 90s.

I know some of the really old guys that read this don't like the ragging on the Corps that we take so much fun in. And in these guys' day, I'm sure the Corps put out. However, the outfits I saw in the 90s had a majority of guys that were forced out there and sat on their butts until about lunch and then left. At stack, they sat around the perimeter fires until dismissed. Of course, not ALL of them did this, but enough to earn the reputation for the group.

These new guys, however, are out there because they want to be. In fact, from what I can gather, they are even taking some risk in being out there. If dots require numbers, then it may take some time, but there is no questioning the dedication of CTs that are coming out.

(I'm still going to poke fun at them, but that's just part of Bonfire )

Scott Coker '92

[This message has been edited by COKEMAN (edited 1/27/2006 11:08p).]
Ag_of_08
AG
The ones that can realy lay claim to being redass are the ones who made it to burn....if im not mistaken they take a chance on a no questions asked 1 way ticket out if they were caught by someone who cares.....

Proudest member of the Fightin Texas Aggie class of 08 Beat the h*** outa tu A-A-A-A-A!!!!. May bonfire forever burn in our hearts.....and may the Twelfth Man ever burn it in memory and in hope for the future.

Band.studentbonfire.org
rlag09
AG

[This message has been edited by rlag09 (edited 1/31/2006 1:26p).]
nkaechler
AG
rlag09 - Hell yeah, keep doing what you love, and bring more with you. They can't dictate what you do on free time. In time, your efforts will pay off.
daniel02
AG
quote:
Im a fish and was not allowed to go to burn because it was on Corps brass weekend.
*cough*

Corps Brass weekend was moved to the date of Burn, not vice versa. If we could've moved Burn we would've, but the Trigon knew what they were doing when they moved brass weekend to that specific date.
It appears we may hold a common opinion of the current commandant.

As to bringing fish out next year, Good Bull, Fish. Glad to know at the very least there are a few outfits that will be squared away.

Need a Heave! THREE, FOUR...

Remember '99.
OC Hogs Build Bonfire!
commando2004
AG
quote:
Need a Heave! THREE, FOUR...

Or better yet, "THIRTEEN, FOURTEEN", and then state your opinion of the commandant.

[This message has been edited by leknerd2004 (edited 1/30/2006 6:56p).]
daniel02
AG
hmm... "Thirteen, Fourteen! F@*# Van Alstyne!" does have a certain panache.
jlbizkit1
Hey i'm in B-1 and we actually started wearing dots again about 2 years ago. but in our current state, only the bonfire family wears them, buttpot and pisspots. all other outfit members just wear whatever else.

i think its slightly ridiculous that some outfits don't even bother taking pride in their pots anymore. it used to be a big thing when fish made theirs, nowadays, juniors wait til the night before their first midnight yell to paint them.
daniel02
AG
quote:
nowadays, juniors wait til the night before their first midnight yell to paint them.
Easiest way to remedy that is to make sure your fish paint theirs during FOW.

Sure would like to see some CTs with dots out at Cut this fall.

BTHOB.

Remember '99.
OC Hogs Build Bonfire!
draked23
Squadron 17 would have worn green dots in honor of Jerry Don Self, who was originally in Squadron 13 his fish year. Squadron 13 was disbanded after his fish year and he came to Challenger 17. During his junior year, Jerry lead Squadron 17 to win centerpole.
opie03
draked23 said:

Squadron 17 would have worn green dots in honor of Jerry Don Self, who was originally in Squadron 13 his fish year. Squadron 13 was disbanded after his fish year and he came to Challenger 17. During his junior year, Jerry lead Squadron 17 to EARN Centerpole.
One slight correction, otherwise I can confirm all of this.

A little trivia for y'all: When it was announced that we had been awarded Centerpole in '99, we only had a few days to put together the flag and find welding caps in the right color with dots on them. We ended up spray painting a white one and putting white-out dots on a couple others that we couldn't come up with at the welding supply stores in Bryan. They were wired to the top of the flagpole when Centerpole was hoisted up.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.